Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough Midweek Fixture?

Town Win
44%
Boro Win
38%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:49 pm

Can’t understand why a player like Gwion Edwards is on the bench. Completely baffling but there MUST be a f**king reason? Anyone know what it is.

It’s getting so bad that I’m now wishing maybe Mark Warburton had got the job.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Cannot believe he has brought Sears on for Jackson. We are 2 down ffs. :shock:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:53 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Don’t panic .... sears is coming on 😂
Super sub lol

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:56 pm

2 nil down at half time and he leaves the formation the same and brings on sears. Ive tried to be patient with hurst but ffs man what are you thinking. Come on town, turn this round. 1 sub left with edun and dozzel on the bench , in effin fuming

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Oh and p.s, if chambers does not get the bart treatment from hurst next game i will be livid. Hurst must do a jose and tell him he will never captain town again.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Don't worry Hurst knows what he is doing😂😂

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Almost 3 ........

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:07 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm
Don't worry Hurst knows what he is doing😂😂
To be fair, i should be more annoyed by the players he has picked, boro have done sweet fa in this game to justify the league position. Apart from 6 first half minutes town have looked the better team. I just fell if hurst went with edwards and edun we may not have been it that position of 2 nil down. Hurst and the players need to take a good look at themselved

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:13 pm

13 shots 4 on target to our 3 shots none on target. Continues with 1 up front.?damage limitation.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 pm

Slightly better second half, but still no threat going forward. A couple of half chances isn’t enough . Something needs to change! I’m not normally one for calling for managers head, but it’s starting to get ridiculous.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Just took a closer look at the table. My tip for relegation certainties (Rotherham United) are a win and a draw further up the table! :|

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 pm

We’re a sinking ship! Get the buckets!!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:11 pm

First half - abject.
Second half - slightly less so. At least they played with a bit more pride and gave the crowd something to get behind.

Knudsen - how did he play in the World cup :shock: I have seen Super tankers with better positional sense and turning circles!

Oh well. Luckily I wasn't expecting much.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm

Forget the buckets. Swim. We are already sunk

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm getting pissed off supporting a guy who continually gets the line up wrong, Edwards Edun on the f**king bench. This nomark Graham ffs, what a plie of sh*te he is, same as Ward.

To top it all 2 goals down so he takes off Jackson ??? Moron, sears actually did ok but we need 2 bloody strikers on the pitch !!!

WTF Chambo was thinking for the second goal god only knows. Knudsen..sh*te, Ward...sh*te, Graham...absolute sh*te, Nolan....double dose of sh*te, Hurst....turning into sh*te !!!

Dozzell on 15 mins and finds 3 or 4 quality balls into dangerous areas, he has to play !!!

f*cked off with it all tonite. Swansea tkt close to being ripped up !!!! f*ck OFF

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Although we were much better in the second half the game was well and truly lost in the first due to sloppy play, poor delivery and lack of leadership and organisation.

To make matters worse it would appear we’ve lost circa 6000+ fans since the start of the season,which must be disappointing to the management team to say the least.

Harsh as it sounds I stick with my view that Paul Hurst is out of his depth and doesn’t have a clue how to best utilise his limited resources.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Not harsh at all, it's a fair and accurate observation. Hurst is evidently a fish out of water at Championship Level and retrospectively was a substantial error for those who took the decision to appoint the name.

I'm not going to take into the consideration the primary individual who's responsible for the lack of ambition the club is at, and that attendance was disappointing. No league wins in what is it, 11 now, and that includes all home games (obviously).

Started with a lone attacker did he, can't see the logic in it particularly given the circumstances in trying for a first victory. Seems under Roy Keane the team went even longer without a new season victory and similarities dictate fans were hopeful or perhaps over optimistic with both appointments. Not really much else to add to this issue that hasn't already been said, just disappointed as much as the next with the situation the club finds itself in.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:28 pm
Although we were much better in the second half the game was well and truly lost in the first due to sloppy play, poor delivery and lack of leadership and organisation.

To make matters worse it would appear we’ve lost circa 6000+ fans since the start of the season,which must be disappointing to the management team to say the least.

Harsh as it sounds I stick with my view that Paul Hurst is out of his depth and doesn’t have a clue how to best utilise his limited resources.
I have been saying the same for a while. Time for a change. Nolan, Graham and Ward should be replaced with Dozzell, Edwards and Edun . Chambers has to be replaced with Pennington. Fed up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 pm

I just hope Evans doesn’t wait and wait until he pulls the trigger to end Hursts reign.

It clearly hasn’t ( isn’t) working and we need experience at the helm and on the pitch if we are to stand any chance of survival this season, which, from where I’m standing looks almost a lost cause now even though it’s just 1/4 way through the season.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:41 pm

I've nothing much to add to what others have said.

My previous comments on the season so far still apply: toothless in attack, too many players not of the required standard for this league, a manager out of his depth, and an increasing lack of confidence running through the squad.

October always liked like it was going to be tough and this result confirms it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 am

Yes, and a 3-0 defeat at Swansea on Saturday is going to add fuel to a fire that’s already starting to rage.

Hallam....... you’ve brought up the subject about hoping Mevans pulls the trigger sooner rather than later......, who do you think would be a decent replacement for Paul Hurst?

If the desperation got almost unbearable, would people think twice about names like Harry Redknapp or Pardew at Portman Road? FTR,...... Mevans, if you read the forum, don’t let it get THAT bad.

Can’t speak for everyone, but one of my pets hates is that highly irritating saying, “Be careful what you wish for”........ seriously, if that saying was used a lot, everyone would just sit in their houses and do f*ck all. Unfortunately in this case, with regard to McCarthy, in hindsight, it would appear that saying is coming true as each game passes by.

The one positive is if Ipswich Town FC get relegated, I’ll probably make it to the Ricoh for a Coventry game next season, (if they remain League One) but Coventry end as I’ll be with wee cuz, Pete. I wonder if Ipswich will start winning by then.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am

Losing faith game by game.

Fair play by taking the game to Middlesbrough, but totally naive to press so far up the pitch it leaves the defence exposed. That first goal was a tactical error. Midfield were nowhere... in the 10th minute!

Don’t know how Chambers thought that pass was on to Knudsen for their second. What did he think Knudsen was going to do with the ball anyway... Chambo should have just lumped it as as usual.

The bright spot was Chalobah. Thought he was the one who always looked for the ball and put some great crosses in. But no one was in the box. Good to see Dozzell there at the end. You can see he has the passes in his locker.

It’s bad enough now.... Hurst better pull something out of the bag quick.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:05 am

really quite annoyed after last night's match as in the main it was a pathetic home performance. When I saw the team sheet I was bemused that Edwards was on the bench yet again. It was men vs boys in the first 45 mins. Even in 2nd half I didn't think we were good, I think boro just were not attacking as much and allowing us on to them but the best chances still fell to boro. When we got to half time it was clear a change or two was needed but I was not expecting him to take a striker off to pit another on, that was baffling. Also when we did bring on dozzell you could see his touch and pass is better than any other midfielder we have at the moment, I find it strange he is reluctant to give him more game time.

I'm looking at our first 11 and thinking that in my opinion we have 3 or 4 younger players that are better than those we have got playing. Certainly some of the squad changes were forced upon Hurst in summer but you have to wonder how much of a look he did at our academy before buying in a whole new squad as it feels like he's almost casted it aside at the moment.

For me the main worry is all the talk behind the scenes, mainly about Doig but also a bit about Klug. I heard Klug is really not very happy and even on verge of walking out, I really hope not as that would be very disappointing and we have been down that road before (when he was virtually sacked by Keane). With Doig the rumours keep coming with him, who knows how true they are. IF any of these are true we might see that this project is cut short by Evans, and quite honestly if it continues as is that has to happen. I'm not calling for his head but we seem to be getting worse not better at the moment.

Marko - I get what your saying about the be careful what you wish for thing however even with hindsight for me it will never be the wrong decision to have got rid of Mick but it could end up being the wrong decision to bring Paul Hurst in. Also regarding attendances yes it looks sh*t and seeing how empty it was last night was pretty shocking however I honestly don't think it helps midweek games all being on tv/ifollow, plus out game was main game on sky.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 am

I know a lot of you guys didn’t want what I call an “experienced manager” but if we had, there’s no way on earth he’d have ever pursued Paul Hurst’s transfer policy of bringing in League 1 & 2 players and making so many match by match team changes which are two major issues contributing to our demise.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:07 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:53 am
I know a lot of you guys didn’t want what I call an “experienced manager” but if we had, there’s no way on earth he’d have ever pursued Paul Hurst’s transfer policy of bringing in League 1 & 2 players and making so many match by match team changes which are two major issues contributing to our demise.
Depends what you consider experienced. I just didn't want another manager who's been round the block in this league and failed multiple times. There's too many of them. I wanted something different, a bit like what Brentford did with Dean Smith. However where i do agree with you is the number of changes. I know some were forced upon us for various reasons but for me we look like we've done too much. That includes game by game changes as well as squad changes. We just look lost but worst of all so does Paul Hurst. Certainly getting critical as there's no sign of improvement, perhaps even the opposite. If we did bring in a new man now god knows who it would be, probably Simon Grayson or someone

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am

In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 am

I think its easy to be more accepting of a round the block, done it all boring manager if you don't have to witness the games every week cus all that really matters then is the end result, those that were suffering the boring style week in week out wanted change, pretty much any change, I got to that stage too and I stuck by Mick as long as anyone, Hurst was my choice for a new direction, he's brought in some good players and I have no issue with Edwards, Edun, Nsisla, Donacien, Jackson and Chalobah, unfortunately nobody could forsee the departures of Waghorn and Garner, not even Hurst and we are suffering for it.

My biggest gripes are the constant poor team selections, weekly tinkering with it and a one up front formation, they are the reasons we are struggling, a team with Edwards, Edun and Dozzell in from the off and with someone supporting the effective Jackson would be so different. I also feel this should be the season we witness the breakthroughs of Woolfenden, Nydam, Downes, Morris and Folami, so where the hell are they all, I think Hurst has got the treatment of the kids totally wrong too, he's been his own worst enemy.

Swansea and Leeds are defeats all day long so for me its wins against Millwall and QPR in October or its goodbye PH, I hate saying that but it can't continue. Ideally we should keep him until End December as any new manager is stuck with this squad until then anyway and it may just cause more upheaval by removing Hurst until any new boss can make his own additions, bit of a mess and a catch 22 really.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am

As much as I hate the idea of Ipswich sacking a manager so soon, this really isn't working. The squad doesn't seem to be improving, some people (not necessarily on here) are banging on about the 'positives', yet I can't really see any and most importantly we aren't getting points on the board and sit pretty much bottom. Hurst doesn't seem to know what his best side is and will just throw out any system whenever we lose and there's just no consistency or stability in the lineups. He really needs to get his sh*t together this month, otherwise we don't stand a chance unless we get rid.

It's such a shame because I was really excited for this year and even though I didn't expect much at all for this season, I still expected better than we've had so far.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 am

Same Jack, didn't think PH would be a manic bullet this season, but it's amazing how fast the excitement of a new era has dwindled.

Sad really, I hated the Paul Jewell appointment from day one, but PH initial interviews and enthusiasm at the start of his tenure really made me believe this was going to be an enjoyable season.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.
I think there is very much a chance of that. Burley with Butcher as assistant would keep Ipswich up. Problem is that the boo boys would soon turn on them too. Ipswich had a fine manager in Mick McCarthy who wanted to stay doing the job but found it impossible to deal with these idiots. So Ipswich are now where they are. Was pretty easy to predict. Until their is a financial realism amongst the morons then no manager is immune to it at Ipswich. Mick McCarthy done a magnificient job at Town as did George Burley previously but the financial reality will not allow them any more than middle table at BEST !!