Congratulations England

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Congratulations England

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:13 pm

After Friday Nights bore draw in Croatia what a fantastic night in Seville last night where England took Spain by storm with a brilliant display of clinical finishing showing how to win a game on the break and without the possession to end Spain’s run of 38 competitive home International games without defeat since 2003 and our first win in Spain for 31 years.

It was my first time at an England International game for 30yrs and what a game to go to, definitely one to rememember for ever as an “I was there moment”

Well done Ohio for predicting the win, somehow Injust didn’t see it coming.

ashfordblue

Re: Congratulations England

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 pm

The only thing that bothers me Charners is in the 2nd half we sat back, :x WRONG decision, we have to learn to be clinical in executing teams the whole 90 minutes, :shock: and as for Pickford he needs a firm bollocking from Southgate for mess arsing around and nearly gifting them a goal, that must never ever happen again, being too cocky, but I was well pleased with the young new players that were introduced, they played very well, like they were well established players, i can see a very bright future ahead, so long as we don't sit back and invite trouble, and the keeper does his job with no fancy messing around

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Pleased for you Charnwood that you had a great time.

I didn’t see the game, I just saw the goals in the highlights. You can’t get an all round view of the game, but was seriously impressed by the goals. There’s talent there with such a young team. Kane seems to be playing deeper as a number 10... and his passing and vision shouldn’t be under rated.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 am

Charny
Glad you enjoyed it. Must admit the way the rain was coming down on Monday afternoon thought it was going to be a repeat of Warsaw away a few years back.
Heading back home today to get ready for the game at Portman Road on Saturday! 😀

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:17 am

bet it was great to be at the match, wish I was!

I was watching form the pub and I was very impressed with our goals, all 3 were superb. We looked so dangerous on the counter attack and had Spain on the ropes at times during that first half (after the onslaught in first 5 mins or so).

Ash you say we sat back, im not sure we did really, when Spain are pressing they force you back. I still felt when we got the ball we were trying to be positive, we didn't just stick 10 men behind the ball. In reality I didn't think Spain caused us huge problems in the second half apart from that Pickford mishap! But in general if that had of ended 3-1 it would have looked better I guess. But in general considering where we are at and the age of that team we have to be very proud of what they did. Lets hope this is the start of something, many false dawns before but I feel there is a good vibe about playing for the national team for the first time in my lifetime, I feel the players genuinely are loving playing for the country and they quite clearly all get on very well with a bit of banter and interaction with supporters via social media etc.

We have to allow them to grow and not bombard them every time something doesn't go quite right, im happy for Sterling, he needed those goals and for Rashford who was being questioned after a couple of misses in Croatia, but far more positives than negatives

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:21 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:29 am
Charny
Glad you enjoyed it. Must admit the way the rain was coming down on Monday afternoon thought it was going to be a repeat of Warsaw away a few years back.
Heading back home today to get ready for the game at Portman Road on Saturday! 😀

We struck lucky Shed, when we went to the hotel to pick up our tickets we got upgraded to VIP so when we got to the ground we were under cover and there didn’t appear to be many seats that were, at least the heavy rain looked like it stopped well before kick off but with a game like that I doubt our fans would have been too bothered about getting soaked. Anyway, like you we’re back home tonight, and guess what, we have a Police Warning to be prepared for four days of torrential rain likely to cause damage and emergency situations !.... Wish we’d stayed in Seville, especially with no golf likely for a couple of days or more.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:28 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 pm
The only thing that bothers me Charners is in the 2nd half we sat back, :x WRONG decision, we have to learn to be clinical in executing teams the whole 90 minutes, :shock: and as for Pickford he needs a firm bollocking from Southgate for mess arsing around and nearly gifting them a goal, that must never ever happen again, being too cocky, but I was well pleased with the young new players that were introduced, they played very well, like they were well established players, i can see a very bright future ahead, so long as we don't sit back and invite trouble, and the keeper does his job with no fancy messing around

I don’t think we made a conscious decision to sit back Ash, I think it was simply a case of Spain applying such intense pressure trying to get back into the game. In fact they applied pressure through most of the game and our boys responded exceptionally well with a breathtaking display of counter attacking football of the highest level and given the youthful look of our team I thought they were outstanding.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 am

The English had a win in Germany a year or two back by a similar score, then exited the European Championships at the group stage with a loss to Iceland of all things. Point being you seem to register one commendable score or performance amid a range of garbage elsewhere. Say again you lost three out of seven at this years World Cup, so while a level of progress could arguably be made you're still not on a plateau to challenge the very best.

You select random games from years past like the Netherlands in '96 and Germany in Munich five years after when people gave superlatives left and right and labeled them a team to fear but history will always dictate they can't maintain it or aren't consistent enough to readily challenge. I actually like Southgate, he was a good choice. Not like those others pricks such as Eriksson and Cappello who were only in it for the money or to bump up their personal profile. Has the best interests of the team at heart and an English manager is best suited for the national team.

Bottom line is there's no national tournament for another two years. Which will be staged in Qatar : a venue that won't suit everyone and however good the English claim to be it'll be tough for many to make impact. Not sure what all this group stage business is about while we're waiting between games but there's no actual prize in it perhaps eventual qualification for said tournament. More power to you for team endeavors in Spain but you got to view the bigger picture. Regardless of nationalities just want the domestic scene back, it's Ipswich we need to see progress and challenge above all else. That's where the real ambition's at.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:49 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:41 am
The English had a win in Germany a year or two back by a similar score, then exited the European Championships at the group stage with a loss to Iceland of all things. Point being you seem to register one commendable score or performance amid a range of garbage elsewhere. Say again you lost three out of seven at this years World Cup, so while a level of progress could arguably be made you're still not on a plateau to challenge the very best.

You select random games from years past like the Netherlands in '96 and Germany in Munich five years after when people gave superlatives left and right and labeled them a team to fear but history will always dictate they can't maintain it or aren't consistent enough to readily challenge. I actually like Southgate, he was a good choice. Not like those others pricks such as Eriksson and Cappello who were only in it for the money or to bump up their personal profile. Has the best interests of the team at heart and an English manager is best suited for the national team.

Bottom line is there's no national tournament for another two years. Which will be staged in Qatar : a venue that won't suit everyone and however good the English claim to be it'll be tough for many to make impact. Not sure what all this group stage business is about while we're waiting between games but there's no actual prize in it perhaps eventual qualification for said tournament. More power to you for team endeavors in Spain but you got to view the bigger picture. Regardless of nationalities just want the domestic scene back, it's Ipswich we need to see progress and challenge above all else. That's where the real ambition's at.

You are right but this squad has a different feel to it. Much younger and united than I can ever remember. We do not have world beaters but there is now a team to connect to and I genuinely feel like they love playing for the country. In the past I haven’t felt that and it always felt like they were crumbling under the weight of pressure. I’m happy with the progress we are making.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:58 am

Never thought I'd say this but I completely agree with SJ.