Matt Holland's Comments......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Matt Holland's Comments......

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Legend Matt Holland has expressed his concerns regarding the current situation at Town with the Blues sitting at the foot of the Championship with only one win all season under boss Paul Hurst and says he has heard that owner Marcus Evans has been sounding out potential new managers.

“It’s a horrible situation that’s panning out at Portman Road at the moment. Bottom of the table and not playing particularly well,” former skipper Holland, 44, said on talkSPORT.

“Crowds have held up pretty well, to be honest, there was 18,000 there against QPR at the weekend.

“But speaking to lots of friends and people that go to the games, they said that was probably the lowest they’ve been watching it.

“A close friend of mine left at half-time, he said it was that bad. He said it was the worst he’d seen as an Ipswich Town supporter. It’s really worrying what’s happening to the club at the moment.”

Holland says the club’s summer business is a big factor behind the present predicament.

“The recruitment has not been good enough, simple as that,” he said. “You look at the players who have gone. Martyn Waghorn, £5 million to Derby, Adam Webster to Bristol City, Joe Garner to Wigan, David McGoldrick on a free to Sheffield United. That’s four quality players that you’ve lost.

“In have come a number of players from League One and League Two. Now, I’m not saying that players in League One and League Two can’t make the step up to the Championship, but to ask, say, eight or nine of them to do it at the same time is asking an awful lot of those players.”

Evans was widely believed to have been considering whether to change manager going into the international break and Holland says he had heard that other potential bosses had been talked to.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen and whether a change is going to be made,” he added. “You hear one or two things when you’re involved and you’re close to the club. I’ve heard that Marcus Evans has spoken to other managers and there’s a possibility that something might change.

“I don’t know whether that will change or not. That was a couple of weeks ago I heard that, that he had spoken to other managers. That will be interesting to see.

“You also hear about what’s going on on the training ground and things and by all accounts perhaps man-management has been lacking.

“I’m at a loss really because I’m so upset, a club that I’m so close to. I still live down the road, I go as much as I can, I work on Saturday generally so it’s difficult to go and see the on a weekend, but I go to midweek games.

“I saw them in the first game of the season against Blackburn when they were probably a bit fortunate to get a draw that day as well. It’s a tough right now.”

Very interesting and eye opening comments, if this is true and I have no reason to doubt it then Hurst is finished here, his position is virtually untenable. I also find it a bit odd that Matt Holland would even publicly divulge all of this.

hallamblue

Re: Matt Holland's Comments......

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm

This link / Post Taken from TWTD.

For those that missed the show with Matt Holland's comments, here is a catch up link:

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-agai ... 540222200/

Starts after 18 minutes in.

Worth a listen. The arrow on the right hand side provides a drop down menu for other show segments. Adrian Durham has a good grasp of League 1, so is empathetic. When an ex-player of Matt's standing comes out with these comments on a national radio channel, surely the club has to make a statement.

I’d say Hurst has 4 games...but suspect he may we’ll be on his way sooner. Frankly this HAS to happen. Sadly it just hasn’t happened for Hurst . It was worth a try, but the Club simply cannot afford to wait now.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Very surprising comments. I'm sure he has good links at the club and is close enough to hear much of what goes on but like you I am very surprised he has said these things on national radio. Only thing you can think of is he loves the club and feels that things are so bad he needs to put it out there to get another change.

I didn't go to the QPR match as I was away but by all accounts it was awful. Things are really collapsing at the moment. Question is are we at the point of no return as in we have already spent our money and we have a whole new squad, I'm not sure what impact a new boss would have with the current squad to be honest

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Very surprising.

There is a difference between sounding out new managers and recruiting.
Has he asked if they can bring back the 4 players Matt mentioned :(

What a mess :(

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:05 pm

I think we need to get people in who KNOW Ipswich Town and how this Clubs works. That for me ( even if it’s just for the remainder of the season), HAS to be Burley and Butcher.

1). I feel sure they would work with Klugh and Nash ( im half thinking the Doig effect is why he’s considering leaving the Club right now).

2). I think we need to get players like Wolfe , Nydam, Morris back at this Club and in the squad.

3). IF Evans doesn’t act NOW, I th8nk Dozzell will definitely be leaving in the Jan window.

If personally think things really are that bad at the Club now. And Evans MUST act now!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:14 pm

This is the stuff people from afar don’t get to hear as its not “local” radio....... thanks for posting and thanks for the link Hallam.

Can’t really disagree with anything Matty Boy is saying.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm

For me Burley & Butcher would be another total disaster.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Really can’t decide about Burley....., he arguably could do a job imo, ........ big fat
NO to Terry Butcher though.

The part about asking 8/9/10 L1 & L2 players to all step up at once is exactly what a buddy of mine had said a month ago..... “you buy L1, you go to L1”....... at the time I wasn’t sure if I agreed or not but hearing someone in the profession say it, (and someone who genuinely knows his stuff) sort of brings it home that the term “deep sh*t” might not be too far from the truth.

You know what will happen though.......

Leeds 0 Ipswich 2 ....... book it

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:11 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm
For me Burley & Butcher would be another total disaster.
I agree long term, but something desperately needs to change and quickly. Maybe they/he, could hold the fort until the end of the season? Matt Holland is a leg end and it was seriously worrying to hear what he was saying about Bart, the squad as a whole and the lack of spirit at the club.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:34 am

im really not sold on Burley and Butcher at all, I think id even prefer Klug and Nash until end of season ahead of them as they are currently involved in the club. That being said neither of those pairings are long term appointments. Its going to be interesting to see PH's pre match press conference this morning as I really feel what Matt Holland did last night is pretty much make Hurts' position untenable.

I trust Matt Holland, ive long felt that I would like to see him involved in the club, I also feel fairly sure he would not have said what he did unless he felt he had to. It sounds to me like the whole thing is going to come to a crashing end soon, we are in one hell of a battle to stay up now by the looks of it. I take Hollands point about too many League 1 and 2 players and he is right in the sense of lots at the same time, usually you would blood 1 or 2 in at a time, for me the bigger problem has been people out of position and a desperation to stumble on a team/formation that works. It looks to me like Hurst is losing his way and just has lost his own confidence. I don't get some of the things that are happening, no Edun in squad, 1 striker when we look toothless, CB at RB, RB at LB. It doesn't make sense. I wish Hurst had stuck with his early season plan as I didn't think we looked too bad at that time, im not entirely sure why hes don't it the way he has but I think there are too many things happening now. If Holland is right about Evans asking around other managers that signals to Hurst he is off soon unless he suddenly puts 3 or 4 results together which isn't going to happen. Problem is I don't trust Evans at all to get this next bit right, I thought he got the right man in Hurst, I think he will be scratching his head wondering what the hell to do next.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:34 am
im really not sold on Burley and Butcher at all, I think id even prefer Klug and Nash until end of season ahead of them as they are currently involved in the club. That being said neither of those pairings are long term appointments. Its going to be interesting to see PH's pre match press conference this morning as I really feel what Matt Holland did last night is pretty much make Hurts' position untenable.

I trust Matt Holland, ive long felt that I would like to see him involved in the club, I also feel fairly sure he would not have said what he did unless he felt he had to. It sounds to me like the whole thing is going to come to a crashing end soon, we are in one hell of a battle to stay up now by the looks of it. I take Hollands point about too many League 1 and 2 players and he is right in the sense of lots at the same time, usually you would blood 1 or 2 in at a time, for me the bigger problem has been people out of position and a desperation to stumble on a team/formation that works. It looks to me like Hurst is losing his way and just has lost his own confidence. I don't get some of the things that are happening, no Edun in squad, 1 striker when we look toothless, CB at RB, RB at LB. It doesn't make sense. I wish Hurst had stuck with his early season plan as I didn't think we looked too bad at that time, im not entirely sure why hes don't it the way he has but I think there are too many things happening now. If Holland is right about Evans asking around other managers that signals to Hurst he is off soon unless he suddenly puts 3 or 4 results together which isn't going to happen. Problem is I don't trust Evans at all to get this next bit right, I thought he got the right man in Hurst, I think he will be scratching his head wondering what the hell to do next.
I agree on all of this. For me it was pretty obvious where it was going bringing in the players Hurst was bringing in. It reminds me very much of Alan Stubbs doing the same at my team St Mirren this season where he brought in Conference and National League players to Scottish Premiership and it was a disaster and was always going to be. Man Management was a major issue also and Hurst looks to be devoid of that too.

The problem now is who is going to take it. Any experienced manager looks at it as poison chalice and reputation damage. Probably needs commitment from Evans in Jan to bring in players of the right standard to at least survive and that is no easy task. Also going to be difficult to move certain players on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am

Couldn’t believe what Stubbs was trying to do at St Mirren,....., all of Jack Ross’ momentum and belief oot the windae.......

But......,

114 years of Cup misery...... he’ll always be “Stubbsy, Stubbsy....... Stubbsy, Stubbsy” for me.

Hopefully you guys turn it round starting with the battle of the Saints on Saturday.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am
charlton837 wrote:

I agree on all of this. For me it was pretty obvious where it was going bringing in the players Hurst was bringing in. It reminds me very much of Alan Stubbs doing the same at my team St Mirren this season where he brought in Conference and National League players to Scottish Premiership and it was a disaster and was always going to be. Man Management was a major issue also and Hurst looks to be devoid of that too.

The problem now is who is going to take it. Any experienced manager looks at it as poison chalice and reputation damage. Probably needs commitment from Evans in Jan to bring in players of the right standard to at least survive and that is no easy task. Also going to be difficult to move certain players on.
They’ll be plenty of out of work experienced managers who’ll take it.

And they already have their reputation tarnished.... Pardew, Holloway, Warburton, Grayson, etc .... it’s part of the merry-go-round which keeps on turning.I’m sure they’ll take it. And they’ve got a ready-made excuse after MM and Hurst go... lack of funds. In some ways, it’s a free-hit if you take over a club at the foot of the table. It’s not their fault the clubs bottom and if they can achieve fourth bottom, they’ve achieved something. If we go down, it’s their predecessors fault and the owners lack of spending.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 am

I have a feeling we will end up Simon Grayson here, I think Evans has sounded him out before and hes a mate of MM. He got Preston in a reasonable position in the Championship whilst also have a couple of League 1 promotions on his side. I would not be at all surprised to see him come in if Hurst was to leave. Im not sure how I would feel about that but I can see it being a realistic option.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:35 am

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:09 am
I have a feeling we will end up Simon Grayson here, I think Evans has sounded him out before and hes a mate of MM. He got Preston in a reasonable position in the Championship whilst also have a couple of League 1 promotions on his side. I would not be at all surprised to see him come in if Hurst was to leave. Im not sure how I would feel about that but I can see it being a realistic option.
Agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised if ME was getting some advice from Mick. And Graysons an old pal of Mick’s. Graysons last two jobs at Sunderland and Bradford didn’t go so well... win ratio of 16% and 21% ... but an improvement on Hurst’s win ratio here.

Unless ... Matt Holland’s throwing his hat in the ring.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:46 am
Couldn’t believe what Stubbs was trying to do at St Mirren,....., all of Jack Ross’ momentum and belief oot the windae.......

But......,

114 years of Cup misery...... he’ll always be “Stubbsy, Stubbsy....... Stubbsy, Stubbsy” for me.

Hopefully you guys turn it round starting with the battle of the Saints on Saturday.
Aye that cup win cost Rotherham and St Mirren fans untold grief :-(
Still think we are on the right track now and hopefully stay up.

Ipswich in a very similar position but with the right appointment well able to stay up.

Doubt many will agree but if I was Evans I would be banging on Paul Lambert's door. The Norwich link may be the issue, shouldn't be but will be for the dafties.
Also may be worth seeing if Mowbray would be interested ?? Very much doubt it but worth a go.

Evans is very loyal so may not happen for wee while yet as Ipswich are not cut adrift yet.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:54 am
valleyroad wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am
charlton837 wrote:

They’ll be plenty of out of work experienced managers who’ll take it.

And they already have their reputation tarnished.... Pardew, Holloway, Warburton, Grayson, etc .... it’s part of the merry-go-round which keeps on turning.I’m sure they’ll take it. And they’ve got a ready-made excuse after MM and Hurst go... lack of funds. In some ways, it’s a free-hit if you take over a club at the foot of the table. It’s not their fault the clubs bottom and if they can achieve fourth bottom, they’ve achieved something. If we go down, it’s their predecessors fault and the owners lack of spending.
Yep thinking about it I think your correct there. Need to appoint the right one as some are better than others !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:17 pm

I think Mowbray and other Blackburn staff themselves would laugh uncontrollably if Mevans went sniffing. They're not a bad tip for the Play-offs.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm

I don't question Matthew Holland's commitment as a player but say again would not wish for any ex-squad members to be appointed here should a vacancy become available. Same goes for Burley, what he produced was some near 20 years back, I don't think he's suitable to join up again at present time. Obviously Hurst seems incapable and not everyone will subscribe to the "allow it time" philosophy but the club needs someone proven or with certain accolades to their name, you know reliable or highly spoken. Not outsiders with limited experience such what what we have here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 pm

I have a horrible feeling Mark Warburton could well be a strong possibility too, reasonable at Brentford and crap everywhere else.

The bit that alarms me as much as anything is the comment about lack of man management skills and in truth this may well have shown it's face really early in the season, way back at Exeter in fact when it was as clear as anything that Chambers was not happy with the managers comments, I really expected better from Paul Hurst and as a big advocate of his appointment I do feel just a bit let down in certain areas.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 pm
I have a horrible feeling Mark Warburton could well be a strong possibility too, reasonable at Brentford and crap everywhere else.

The bit that alarms me as much as anything is the comment about lack of man management skills and in truth this may well have shown it's face really early in the season, way back at Exeter in fact when it was as clear as anything that Chambers was not happy with the managers comments, I really expected better from Paul Hurst and as a big advocate of his appointment I do feel just a bit let down in certain areas.
I admire the way you supported/support PH appointment, and indeed i was keen too - all be it mostly on the back of your reports on his work. Sometimes, however, appointments just dont work out and life just does that some times. Its easy to say now, that such and such would have been a better appointment, but in all honesty we will never know. Whoever came in could just as easily have failed like PH has.

Whats important now is that we get someone in who can at least steady the sinking ship (again), and that the next long term appointment is a safe and yet exciting pair of hands. We are not being unreasonable in expecting entertainment along with at least championship survival.

Warburton would be a dull manager as far as i am concerned, and I would probably be happier with someone like Pardew,... He tends to fail longer term, but for the short term he might just keep us up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:51 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I admire the way you supported/support PH appointment, and indeed i was keen too - all be it mostly on the back of your reports on his work. Sometimes, however, appointments just dont work out and life just does that some times. Its easy to say now, that such and such would have been a better appointment, but in all honesty we will never know. Whoever came in could just as easily have failed like PH has.

Whats important now is that we get someone in who can at least steady the sinking ship (again), and that the next long term appointment is a safe and yet exciting pair of hands. We are not being unreasonable in expecting entertainment along with at least championship survival.

Warburton would be a dull manager as far as i am concerned, and I would probably be happier with someone like Pardew,... He tends to fail longer term, but for the short term he might just keep us up.
Yes it is easy to say things in hindsight, I like to nail my colours to the mast from the off and not run with the Hares and hunt with the hounds, I have an opinion and I go with it, I was actually proud to have mentioned Paul Hurst as a possible gamble long before the club/media and 99% of fans had even given him a thought and then to see him as the man Evans wanted had me thinking I knew what was required, clearly it was a wrong choice as it is only going to head one way now but you live and learn, there is nothing wrong with being a fan and getting things wrong, it is purely an opinion and there seems to be a stigma attached to it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 pm

I’m pretty certain whoever it is..... we won’t wish for him here so we don’t need to be careful.

All this talk makes me think we’ll win at Leeds tomorrow. A football karma thing. Based on last Saturdays performance completely unrealistic, but stranger things have happened.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:

i think your right about the man management thing HOWEVER surely he cant be that bad, with the job he was doing at Shrewsbury he couldn't have got them on side if his man management is as terrible as we are hearing. Also I think Chambers was pissed off after Exeter however I think he has tried his best to get everyone on side with Hurst. I have a feeling the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Sears etc. may be ones that are holding more bad feeling against him. In any case I always though the Exeter rant was a big risk.

Hurst is right, we did all want big changes and to buy a different sort of player, I just expected it to be a slower process over the course of 2 or 3 years. Im just really concerned now that as far as I can see he is a dead man walking and I don't think Evans will have any kind of idea what to do next. He set out his plan in the summer and he may have to curtail that. He really needs to sell this club, but then im not sure where that would leave us, I just cannot see us ever moving forwards with the current structure in place. Interesting that Hurst was saying today that there are many things at the club that need to change, I just wonder what he is referring to, I think as fans we deserve to know what these things are having been in limbo for many years now and frustrations growing throughout that time. Something at the club is rotten to the core and I cant quite put my finger on what it is. Milne is extremely quiet this year, Evans has gone back in to his bubble. Given the mess we have got ourselves in im not as confident of staying up even if a new manager comes in, im not sure it will make a huge amount of difference

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:34 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm
Bluemike wrote:

i think your right about the man management thing HOWEVER surely he cant be that bad, with the job he was doing at Shrewsbury he couldn't have got them on side if his man management is as terrible as we are hearing. Also I think Chambers was pissed off after Exeter however I think he has tried his best to get everyone on side with Hurst. I have a feeling the likes of Knudsen, Bart, Sears etc. may be ones that are holding more bad feeling against him. In any case I always though the Exeter rant was a big risk.

Hurst is right, we did all want big changes and to buy a different sort of player, I just expected it to be a slower process over the course of 2 or 3 years. Im just really concerned now that as far as I can see he is a dead man walking and I don't think Evans will have any kind of idea what to do next. He set out his plan in the summer and he may have to curtail that. He really needs to sell this club, but then im not sure where that would leave us, I just cannot see us ever moving forwards with the current structure in place. Interesting that Hurst was saying today that there are many things at the club that need to change, I just wonder what he is referring to, I think as fans we deserve to know what these things are having been in limbo for many years now and frustrations growing throughout that time. Something at the club is rotten to the core and I cant quite put my finger on what it is. Milne is extremely quiet this year, Evans has gone back in to his bubble. Given the mess we have got ourselves in im not as confident of staying up even if a new manager comes in, im not sure it will make a huge amount of difference
I think you may well be right in that a new manager may not make that much of a difference such is the mess, after all he has limited players at his disposal. I think many Town fans under estimate just how valuable to the club Chambers is, I think he is very much the glue that tries to hold it together on and off the park, I am pretty sure he is not that happy with many things going on right now, just certain stuff I hear but as a true pro he does the right thing, the picture from Swansea of him with his arm round Hurst was great but I am not sure that is a true representation of the feeling within the squad. A few weeks back I posted something on here about a player stating things were as bad under Hurst as at any time before, well that player was supposedly Cole Skuse and if the gossip is true and with him being very close to Chambo it would suggest issues within the camp from a very early stage, could all be nonsense but the longer things have gone on the more issues seem to be coming to the fore.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm

:roll: Ian Hollow all day long, bloody good man manager, he once stated he would crawl on his hands and knees up the A12 to get the Ipswich job, now that's commitment in the highest order, that's my choice as i love the guy, honest and down to earth character, i will be shouted down on this BUT he's been there worn the T shirt, and would be a chunk better than PH and deputy doig

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I can never make my mind about Ian Holloway. He's quite a brash character but he wears his heart on his sleeve for all to see. He certainly seems able to motivate players and gets a good togetherness atmosphere in a club.

Would he be able to rescue ITFC? I would back him more than Hurst.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm

ive always felt Holloway is one of those managers that you can laugh at but he would do your head in if he managed your club. Im fairly sure at most clubs he has been at he is not particularly liked, and he has had some failures in his time as well as some decent spells. I don't see him as a long term option at all but no doubt he would be mentioned. I don't think he is quite stable enough to be perfectly honest.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:48 pm

You can get rid of the manager but that doesn't change the players that the club has. They will continue to flounder if Hurst is let go mainly due to the lack of quality players in the squad. One shot on goal on Saturday give a good indication of the attacking prowess at the club. It is now becoming a rescue plan rather than anything else. I just hope the team can add to the squad in January to help stave off relegation. Unfortunately everyone else will be doing the same thing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm
I don't think he is quite stable enough to be perfectly honest.
Whit?? :lol:

You’ll need to elaborate on that one, Charlton.