Sacked

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Re: Sacked

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Not at all sure about Lambert.
If he brings in Culverhouse as his number 2 then after what happened at Villa would also raise concerns for me.
One thing is for sure whoever we appoint is got one hell of a job on their hands.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:47 pm

If we have to have a Paul if it’s any consolation I’d prefer Lambert ahead of Jewel and Hurst, at least he ticks most of my criteria boxes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:01 pm

That Heckingbottom version of Paul is 2nd favourite.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 pm

RRanger wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm
I'm very sorry. I still think he was the right choice although we do have a problem up front. The football was infinitely better than last season and I'm convinced he'd have turned it round.
Not a hope he'd have turned it round. Ipswich had infinitely better players last season

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm
Listening to the phone in on the way home radio Suffolk were fairly convinced lambert will be the new man.
Shame about Paul Hurst but in the end it had to be done as he wasn't going to turn things around.

Not too worried about appointing lambert he is very attack minded

That’s because as a player he played as a midfielder and not a defender, that said he’ll do bloody well to be attack minded with our limited resources.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:45 am

I realise Football management is a tough business, but I do really feel for PH, I imagine he will be feeling really low after today and wish him all the best for the future.

If we do go with Lambert, its a pity Sheepshanks isn't still the CEO ........... but I guess if thats the case we would be totally flocked! :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 am

Only got the news within the last half-hour, had a look in and lo and behold the manager is no more..

First reaction was one of surprise. Whoever does the hiring and firing at this club possesses a tendency to sit around on their collective asses for all eternity while the team falls into further disarray - so to see actions undertaken as quick as they have leaves a sense of complete surprise. Even Cyril Lea was in position here for a longer time than Hurst although not wading through stats to verify. Feel sorry in a sense for the individual - big things were expected by some but he's been an unmitigated disaster since coming in. It was best for all involved this decision was taken.

Hell got Evans all wrong, must be tougher than a two dollar steak to be as ruthless (as) to fire Hurst so soon after arriving a few weeks back. Guess congratulations are in order (!) f*ck all this relegation talk, let's being in someone that can salvage the season and provide a run in the FA Cup tournament early next year. We got a second chance, it would be a shame to waste it.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:16 am

The only reason Evans didn't sack MM way before he did is that he was happy having a stable club. We were never really in any relegation bother even if it was dreadful to watch. He sacked Paul Jewell after the same number of games (albeit it he had a longer reign). So I'm not all that surprised.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:12 am

charlton837 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:16 am
The only reason Evans didn't sack MM way before he did is that he was happy having a stable club. We were never really in any relegation bother even if it was dreadful to watch. He sacked Paul Jewell after the same number of games (albeit it he had a longer reign). So I'm not all that surprised.
ME would have loved to have kept MM here. It just became untenable for MM.

I’m sure if PH’s team had shown signs of building something (irrespective of results) then he probably would have been given more time, but, in the end, Hurst looked clueless and desperate. Very sad it turned out this way, but glad this didn’t turn into a long-running saga of ‘when will Hurst get the bullet’.

At least this has given us perspective for this season.... I don’t think anyone will focus on the quality of the football primarily... just the points.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm

I know no one cares what I think but that's my view Tang, too.

I was at Saturday's game and it was horrible, I couldn't see any coherent plan in the starting 11, style of play or substitutions. It was just a bunch of blokes on a football pitch pretty much doing their own thing, badly.

Unfortunately with ME as owner this will be the last 'up and coming young manager' experiment we'll see again for a while. MM was brought in originally to steady the ship when we were struggling and Lambert as an experienced manager is being asked to do the same. Neither of these managers I think would be anyone's first choice but as with MM, PL might just be the right person for right now......

I don't expect we'll see scintillating football, if it were me I'd make it my first job to try and stop leaking goals, concentrate of tightening up the midfield play, pick the best keeper each week (Bart in my opinion) and stick with a back four as far as possible of players in their right position. Eg. Chambo and Pennington as centre backs etc

This season is done in terms of a top six. It's just about points and finishing out of the relegation places.

The next person (not on this board I hasten to add!) who tells me it can be a good thing to go down as you can regroup and come back stronger, I'm likely to poke in the eye with pencil. For a club like us to go will down it would be a total f*cking nightmare. It must be avoided at all costs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:05 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm

I was at Saturday's game and it was horrible, I couldn't see any coherent plan in the starting 11, style of play or substitutions. It was just a bunch of blokes on a football pitch pretty much doing their own thing, badly.

Unfortunately with ME as owner this will be the last 'up and coming young manager' experiment we'll see again for a while. MM was brought in originally to steady the ship when we were struggling and Lambert as an experienced manager is being asked to do the same. Neither of these managers I think would be anyone's first choice but as with MM, PL might just be the right person for right now......

I don't expect we'll see scintillating football, if it were me I'd make it my first job to try and stop leaking goals, concentrate of tightening up the midfield play, pick the best keeper each week (Bart in my opinion) and stick with a back four as far as possible of players in their right position. Eg. Chambo and Pennington as centre backs etc

This season is done in terms of a top six. It's just about points and finishing out of the relegation places.

The next person (not on this board I hasten to add!) who tells me it can be a good thing to go down as you can regroup and come back stronger, I'm likely to poke in the eye with pencil. For a club like us to go will down it would be a total f*cking nightmare. It must be avoided at all costs.
Agree with that 100%, it would be the death of the club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Town skipper Luke Chambers called the squad, who had been given the day off, to Playford Road yesterday afternoon as news of Hurst’s departure was breaking.

Questioned on what was behind that meeting, Klug said: “You’d have to ask him that. I’m guessing that’s showing that the players are caring, I don’t know what the meeting was about. I did see them in, I wasn’t expecting them in.

“In other sports they will have a lot more say than in football, it’s not generally acknowledged that players will have a big say but if they feel they need to get a few things out in the open that’s fine by me. I’m guessing that might have been what happened, I don’t know.”
Another example of what a top bloke and captain Chambers is, One day I expect, and indeed hope, he will be our manager.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:24 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Great post and agree with 99% of it. For me with proper resources both MM and PL would have/will take Ipswich to Premiership. Problem is resources and until that is available then the best Ipswich will achieve is mid table safety first football, which is where they have been since 2012 !. Anything else like play offs would be a magnificent achievement.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm not one for humor or have the time to f*ck around but the best example I could label Paul Hurst as, is an individual leading a naked Samantha Kelly through a hall of mirrors. Some things can't be done, some objectives can't be accomplished, and it's up to whoever to realize that and move on.

Some previous submissions have elaborated adequately the situation in hand. Whoever comes in will have to work with minimal funding from our tight-as* owner and even though the season is arguably relatively new the position the team find's itself in leaves not much in the way of any promotion expectation. Some talk already about how we're planning for next season : sad to see as it's still only October but realize they may well be speaking the truth.

At least give the FA Cup a go, of course we're not going to win the f**king thing but no last eight appearance for what is it, 25 years. I'd like to see that statistic amended and with the right coach and attitude all things are possible. Hope to hell they don't bring in another defense minded manager, attack and intent is where the victory's at. Couldn't name a specific time when a new appointment is made but say again I'd hope to see some consideration undertaken and ample time focused on the issue.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Oh, thank God. If I had to listen to the radio announcers one more game questioning what the hell Hurst was doing, I was going to go batty. Much needed as this Titanic was sailing towards an iceberg we could see 12 miles away and nothing to do about it.

I know I am in the boondocks of Ohio, but who the hell hired Hurst? I could pick a manager clear over here who could last a whopping 14 matches. Bigger heads need to roll.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:10 pm
Town skipper Luke Chambers called the squad, who had been given the day off, to Playford Road yesterday afternoon as news of Hurst’s departure was breaking.

Questioned on what was behind that meeting, Klug said: “You’d have to ask him that. I’m guessing that’s showing that the players are caring, I don’t know what the meeting was about. I did see them in, I wasn’t expecting them in.

“In other sports they will have a lot more say than in football, it’s not generally acknowledged that players will have a big say but if they feel they need to get a few things out in the open that’s fine by me. I’m guessing that might have been what happened, I don’t know.”
Another example of what a top bloke and captain Chambers is, One day I expect, and indeed hope, he will be our manager.
Now you don’t know this. He could’ve had tenner bets on with the rest of the squad that Hurst would be gone by the weekend and he wanted paid before Friday night!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:53 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Now you don’t know this. He could’ve had tenner bets on with the rest of the squad that Hurst would be gone by the weekend and he wanted paid before Friday night!
:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: marko you crack me up

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm

Shrewsbury sack manager John Askey, could Paul Hurst possibly return to the Shrews ?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm
Shrewsbury sack manager John Askey, could Paul Hurst possibly return to the Shrews ?
I was thinking the same thing and with Swindon and Wimbledon also looking for a manager he might soon be in work again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 am

Well if he does, I hope he comes back for all his players lol !

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:25 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... p-windfall This should cover that idiot Hurst and his backroom teams payoff. :D

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 pm
I was thinking the same thing and with Swindon and Wimbledon also looking for a manager he might soon be in work again.
That one has gone for him.

The Shrews having gone and 'pinched' Sam Ricketts from Wrexham