It's Official....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

It's Official....

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:04 am

Town have confirmed the appointment of Paul Lambert as manager, the 49-year-old having agreed a deal to 2021.

“I am delighted that Paul has agreed to become manager of Ipswich Town,” Town owner Marcus Evans told the club site.

“He made it clear from our first conversation that he would relish the opportunity to come here.

“He is a very knowledgeable manager who has vast experience of the Championship as well as working for a number of years in the Premier League.

“In his time at Aston Villa he showed he could work and develop young players and his teams have always looked to play exciting football and those attributes fit our ethos here.

“He obviously enjoyed a lot of success at our local rivals and the aim for Paul and everyone at the club is to see that repeated here - and bettered!

“The first priority though is to start climbing the table and I urge the supporters to get right behind our new manager and the players to strengthen our ability to do that.”

New boss Lambert added: “I can’t wait to get going and I’ll be using all my experience - and give everything I’ve got for Ipswich Town.

“I know about the history of the club, what a fantastic football club it is and I’m proud to be the manager here.

“Obviously it’s been a difficult start to the season but to get through this period we need to be pulling together as one - players, staff and supporters.

“I want us to play with tempo, with enthusiasm, with drive. I want the players to enjoy their football and I’m relishing the challenge of helping to take this club forward.”

Welcome to Ipswich Town Paul Lambert, massive Job, get it done !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: It's Official....

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:11 am

Echo that 100% .

Welcome Paul Lambert.

I like Mevans saying that he hopes Paul can “better” the Norwich achievements...... so Euro qualification end of season 19/20? Go copy the last Scot to do it for ITFC, get it done, saaaaan!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 am

Great. COYB!!!! Much safer hands! Players enjoying their football and fans seeing a high tempo? Bloody hell, I thought that was too much to ask for!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 am

Will be cheering Paul on and the team, Welcome to Ipswich Paul, really wish him well

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 am

Can’t say I’m over the moon about this appointment but welcome to Portman Road PL.
I will say that you have certainly shown some balls in taking the job on and I really wish you every success especially at this crucial time for ITFC.
Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:29 am

Any word on who his number 2 is?

I’ve heard Alan Irvine or maybe more likely Stuart Taylor ( not the goalkeeping one).

Happy with the decisiveness of this. Those last two games really underlined how Hurst was struggling and how things were unravelling. It’s good for Hurst, too. Put him out of his misery.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:31 am

It’s Stuart Taylor

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:32 am

Welcome Paul lambert..... I am sure you will do a sturdy job. Now save us from relegation and you will be a hero.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 am

One request Mr Lambert. ..keep us up please.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:29 am

I’ve heard Alan Irvine or maybe more likely Stuart Taylor ( not the goalkeeping one).

Happy with the decisiveness of this. Those last two games really underlined how Hurst was struggling and how things were unravelling. It’s good for Hurst, too. Put him out of his misery.
I was gonna say "I bet he's sh*te" :D :D :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:03 am

Town have confirmed new manager Paul Lambert’s backroom staff with his Stoke assistant manager Stuart Taylor and fitness coach Jim Henry joining him at Portman Road, as previously reported by TWTD, along with first-team coach Matt Gill, who has been working as Norwich City’s U23s coach.

Former Limerick manager Taylor, 43, who was with Lambert at St Mirren in addition to spells at a number of Scottish clubs during his playing days, will assist the new Town manager having previously worked with him at Aston Villa and Wolves as well as Stoke.

Henry, a former Scotland international judo athlete, was on Lambert’s staff at the Potters and has also worked at Bury, Rangers, Hibs, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Celtic, working for Martin O’Neill at the last three clubs

New first-team coach Gill started his playing career with Peterborough and also represented Notts County, Exeter and then Norwich, where he played under Lambert.

After spells at Walsall, Bristol Rovers and Tranmere, the 37-year-old former midfielder joined the staff at Carrow Road, working with the academy and until joining Town had been working as their U23s coach.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 am
tangfastic wrote:

Or perhaps , in Nicscreamers words, he’ll do a sturdy job-bie.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 am
tangfastic wrote:

Or perhaps , in Nicscreamers words, he’ll do a sturdy job-bie.
:D

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:04 am

Welcome aboard Paul lambert.
I bet there are more scum supporters pissed off than Ipswich especially when their ex manager kicks butt at carrot road. :D

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:17 am

Can't say I'm delighted about him as the new boss, but as always I will be 100% behind him and the team. Right now I'd take finishing just above the religation zone. We desperately need points on the board, and I believe under Lambert we will be a harder team to beat. I'm not expecting miracles but we should hopefully see some improvement soon.
Best of luck Paul and backroom staff.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am

Good appointment I think - if he was available in the summer it makes me wonder why ME went for PH instead, but at least PL has time this season to sort things out and get us playing attractive attacking football.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am
Good appointment I think - if he was available in the summer it makes me wonder why ME went for PH instead, but at least PL has time this season to sort things out and get us playing attractive attacking football.
To be fair I think there was a massive call for something different such as an up and coming manager from the lower leagues, I don't think PL would have been welcomed if he came in the summer. Think Evans appointed the right man in summer but it just hasn't worked out.

I may be in minority but I still think PH is a good manager (I understand he had to go). I think circumstances and conditions here were too much. In hindsight he signed too many lower league players and when things start going wrong and unravelling it's tough to get it back. PH made mistakes for sure but I think there's a decent manager in there somewhere. Will be interested to see where he goes next. But my main concern is us and whilst I'm not sold on Lambert he has my full support.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:30 am

Lamberts also brought in Norwich’s under 23 coach MattGill. That’s caused a bit of a kerfuffle around Norwich. Don’t know how that would affect Nash and Hogg. Bit surprised that Gill has jumped ship to their bitterest rivals when Norwich are flying and we’re bottom.

This Lambert moveseems to be causing more outrage from the Norwich camp than from the Ipswich side. Grant Holt would be a step too far, though.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am

GRANT HOLT....... THERES ONLY ONE GRANT HOLT........ THERES ONLY ONE GRANT HOLT....

Oops, sorry....... memories of when he owned and dominated that Jambo defence, belly nudging them out the way with ease.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:43 am

charlton837 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 am
rossi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:23 am
To be fair I think there was a massive call for something different such as an up and coming manager from the lower leagues, I don't think PL would have been welcomed if he came in the summer. Think Evans appointed the right man in summer but it just hasn't worked out.

I may be in minority but I still think PH is a good manager (I understand he had to go). I think circumstances and conditions here were too much. In hindsight he signed too many lower league players and when things start going wrong and unravelling it's tough to get it back. PH made mistakes for sure but I think there's a decent manager in there somewhere. Will be interested to see where he goes next. But my main concern is us and whilst I'm not sold on Lambert he has my full support.
Totally agree Charlton, he is a good manager and as you say it just hasn't worked out for whatever reason. I wish him well in the future.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Congratulations to Paul Lambert.

I hope ME has got it right this time and that at the very least PL staves off relegation this season.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Willkommen Sie Herr Lambert. You are much needed. Onward and upward

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Seems a decision was undertaken too quickly. Not enough time and consideration put into the issue i.e. when other candidates could have been approached or given an opportunity. That's not to say Lambert is a poor coach, only he wouldn't have been foremost on a great many peoples choice for the vacancy.

Then again you look at the garbage that has come before it, it's hardly as if the individual could do any worse. Look, what's done is done. We don't get to make the decisions within the club so guess have to abide with any final say. I want what's best for the club, not being selfish there as that applies to just about all, welcome Lambert on board and get the show on the road. Hope he views the cup competitions as something important as it's the only feasible chance the team have of accomplishing something in the season ahead. All told put some wins together, remain consistent and move the club into a more respectable league placing. I don't expect him to remain in position for another three years irrespective of what his contract implies.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:51 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:46 pm
Seems a decision was undertaken too quickly. Not enough time and consideration put into the issue i.e. when other candidates could have been approached or given an opportunity. That's not to say Lambert is a poor coach, only he wouldn't have been foremost on a great many peoples choice for the vacancy.

Then again you look at the garbage that has come before it, it's hardly as if the individual could do any worse. Look, what's done is done. We don't get to make the decisions within the club so guess have to abide with any final say. I want what's best for the club, not being selfish there as that applies to just about all, welcome Lambert on board and get the show on the road. Hope he views the cup competitions as something important as it's the only feasible chance the team have of accomplishing something in the season ahead. All told put some wins together, remain consistent and move the club into a more respectable league placing. I don't expect him to remain in position for another three years irrespective of what his contract implies.
Lambert wouldn't have been only option. You say we've rushed into the decision but it just looks that way as Evans has been talking to other managers behind Hursts back. Evans is known for it, apart from when Mick left we have always had very quick transitions to the new manager under ME

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:29 am

After yesterdays game he has a lot of team building to do.
Morale by the players is at an all time low .
Needs to sort out a formation that the players can handle and drop the dead wood from the team those that are not performing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 am

For god sake don't drop all the deadwood at once though, it would cause a Tsunami in Indonesia as we have so much.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/watch-lambe ... -1-5755959 A day off!! A f**king day off for what? He should of had them in and had them working and listening to his philosophy for the future. FFS.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Think he was at the King Power Stadium today, Derick.
Do you mean, regardless of that, why weren’t the players training anyway?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 pm

He was Marko about 1pm I believe. So they could of done a couple of hours training or more and because he lives in the Midlands he could of gone to Leicester which I'm glad he did by the way a bit later. I just don't think the players deserve a day off. You reward when it's merited.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:30 pm

I think they were brought in on Sunday for a ‘meet n greet’.

Who knows what was said..... maybe it might be good for them to absorb some stiff talk for a day.... just to let them know what’s required. Not too bothered myself if they get a day off with no match till Saturday. Doig was apparently a hard taskmaster ... and didn’t really get the benefits.

Maybe they can improve between their ears as well as on the training pitch. I get the impression that Lambert doesn’t offer a holiday camp environment.