Is this the season we go down?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Mr Reality

Re: Is this the season we go down?

Post by Mr Reality » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 pm
Dave has organised some good Fortuna away days that we've been on, so any one who's a mate of Dave cant be bad :D :D
Ash i went with you a few years back to germany, dave hired a fiat minibus with the worse seats ever i swear my bum cheaks never fully recovered 😂 you still got those flowing silver locks of yours 😜😜

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 am

Getting back on topic this could well be the season we go down but hopefully not. Paul Lambert has a far bigger job to do than Mick McCarthy did when he arrived as the later inherited some decent players whereas PL has very few.

Strange coincidence but Lamberts first game in charge is exactly 6 years to the day after Mick McCarthy, both Saturday 3 November.

If you look at MM’s starting line up at Birmingham that day it compares quite favourably with the players PL has to call on.

Town Team v Birmingham City which we won 0-1 was

Stephen Henderson

Carlos Edwards
Danny Higginbotham
Luke Chambers
Aaron Cresswell

Lee Martin
Guirane N’Daw
Nigel Reo-Coker
Richie Wellens

DJ Campbell
Daryl Murphy

Subs

Scott Loach
Jay Emanuel-Thomas
Michael Chopra
Jason Scotland
Andy Drury
Tommy Smith

Compare that squad to Paul Lamberts and you see the scale of the problem. Even McCarthys bench looks like having more striker power than PL has to start with.

McCarthy brought in further resources in the January transfer window all loans and freebies inc Patrick Kisnorbo, David McGoldrick, Aaron McLean & Frank Nouble who were quickly followed by Richard Stearman and Jay Tabb. In total I think McCarthy brought in about ten new players in his first few months in charge. I wonder if Paul Lambert will be allowed to do the same.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 am

All our problems are because we've sold to many quality players ,Garner,wags,webster,macgoaldrought should of never been off loaded.ok not PH's fault apparently but,their departure has serverly weakened the side, Maybe there is money left from these sales,we desperately need to off load some of the crap ph has brought in.oh my days.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:27 am

It's Jewell to McCarthy all over again -----> Hurst to Lambert.

Well......., hopefully Lambert can do what McCarthy did, ....., initially.

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:55 am

Magicmark wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 am
All our problems are because we've sold to many quality players ,Garner,wags,webster,macgoaldrought should of never been off loaded.ok not PH's fault apparently but,their departure has serverly weakened the side, Maybe there is money left from these sales,we desperately need to off load some of the crap ph has brought in.oh my days.
Our problems started the day marcus evans brought the club, the average spend in this league is now above £20mil a season, ipswich until this season hadnt spent £10 in 5 seasons. Spend peanuts you get monkeys.
With the likes of chambers who quite frankly has been poor this season and last and hes our so called capt what hope do we have.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:18 am

Genuine question; was Christophe Berra a better captain? Not asking if you think he was the better player....... speaking about the captains role.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:25 am

I think Chambers is the better captain of the two. For me Berra was a fairly solid player but also very quiet, I think Chambers does more of the off the field stuff brilliantly. Always so many stories about Chambo giving up his time for fans but also being the person in the dressing room who organises everything for the players, particularly last season when things were tough and also when he himself was having contract issues.

I don't remember Berra being captain too many times anyway?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 am
Getting back on topic this could well be the season we go down but hopefully not. Paul Lambert has a far bigger job to do than Mick McCarthy did when he arrived as the later inherited some decent players whereas PL has very few.

Strange coincidence but Lamberts first game in charge is exactly 6 years to the day after Mick McCarthy, both Saturday 3 November.

If you look at MM’s starting line up at Birmingham that day it compares quite favourably with the players PL has to call on.

Stephen Henderson

Carlos Edwards
Danny Higginbotham
Luke Chambers
Aaron Cresswell

Lee Martin
Guirane N’Daw
Nigel Reo-Coker
Richie Wellens

DJ Campbell
Daryl Murphy

Subs

Scott Loach
Jay Emanuel-Thomas
Michael Chopra
Jason Scotland
Andy Drury
Tommy Smith

Compare that squad to Paul Lamberts and you see the scale of the problem. Even McCarthys bench looks like having more striker power than PL has to start with.

McCarthy brought in further resources in the January transfer window all loans and freebies inc Patrick Kisnorbo, David McGoldrick, Aaron McLean & Frank Nouble who were quickly followed by Richard Stearman and Jay Tabb. In total I think McCarthy brought in about ten new players in his first few months in charge. I wonder if Paul Lambert will be allowed to do the same.
Hard to disagree with you there. Lambert has a much bigger task. I'm not sure he will do it to be honest and I don't think he can really be blamed if we do end up going down. Would be interesting to see what happens then as I'm not sure if PL would fancy managing in L1 again?

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 am

In my opinion yes berra was. He certainly was a better defender.
For me while his sideways passing gets on my nerves scuse is more consistent and a better player.
Scuse mops up and is never in a million years an attacking midfielder hence lack of goals from him id even think of making him a central defender i think he could do a job there very well.
We do need to recall our loan players thats a 100%

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:50 am

You are totally wrong in Chambers as a captain mate, he leads by example, cares passionately about the club, Chatlton has summed him up very well, Berra never was captain to my knowledge.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:18 am
Genuine question; was Christophe Berra a better captain? Not asking if you think he was the better player....... speaking about the captains role.

I think you'll find the captain before Chambers was Carlos Edwards

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

I can’t see one else in the squad who is really Captain material.

I wouldn’t necessarily want Chambers to be removed as skipper, but I wouldn’t mind someone else challenging for that role. Someone who can be a leader and take a grip of midfield would be great. Skuse does a good job of mopping up, but would love to see an enforcer type who can drive us forward. Not sure we need a new captain.. but more leaders on the pitch.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:18 am
Marko, I’d say Chambers is the better Club captain. He’s a true Club captain and gets amongst the players . He tries to lead by example, and often covers for others deficiencies in the side I think. Problem is he isn’t getting any younger, but has the experience we so badly need at the moment. It’s always a tricky one when your captain , whose experience you need in the team, is double swirled by his physical ability to continue to play 40 odd games each season.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 am

Stephen Henderson

Carlos Edwards
Danny Higginbotham
Luke Chambers
Aaron Cresswell

Lee Martin
Guirane N’Daw
Nigel Reo-Coker
Richie Wellens

DJ Campbell
Daryl Murphy

Subs

Scott Loach
Jay Emanuel-Thomas
Michael Chopra
Jason Scotland
Andy Drury
Tommy Smith

Bloody hell how time does fly, seems a lot longer ago

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Maybe i should ask this in another post.
How many of our players would get into the current norwich team? because thats how i judge how good a side ipswich has.
Id say 1 bart would and that for me sums up this squad

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:01 am

Why Norwich squad? Who the hell cares about them ?

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:58 am

Because thats our closest rivals blue and that sums up our poor squad.
Every rival club does it man utd man city, liverpool everton, arsenal chelsea etc.
Why because ipswich should be miles better than the those at carrot road.
And its my right as a long term fan to question the shambles of our club

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:15 am

Liverpool and Everton? Holy sh*t, I bet that’s a consistent one sided affair.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:08 pm

Am I missing something? I just don't understand the logic in comparing ITFC players to those at Norwich as a means of establishing how successful a club we are. It just doesn't make sense.

And as for fans rights. Bewilderment!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:58 am
Because thats our closest rivals blue and that sums up our poor squad.
Every rival club does it man utd man city, liverpool everton, arsenal chelsea etc.
Why because ipswich should be miles better than the those at carrot road.
And its my right as a long term fan to question the shambles of our club

Maybe we got no divine right to be 'miles better' than Norwich City. Granted the respective honors lists can't be disputed and forever and a day we'll be the bigger, more established, of the other - but on a field and the players put together I believe you're incorrect in saying we possess a right to show better talent and having an improved squad. They've been ahead of us in terms of progress for some 15 years. Why ? Better organized and having an owner that actually cares and has the best interests of the club at heart. They usually sell-out at home games or their attendances are far improved on our own. Like it, don't like it, it's something to be commended.

You are aware there's other teams in the vicinity also such as Colchester, Southend and perhaps Cambridge that are arguably nearer in reach than Norwich, and while not actual rivals, they're closer in location and could be termed local derbies or regional fixtures, if so inclined.

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:08 pm
Am I missing something? I just don't understand the logic in comparing ITFC players to those at Norwich as a means of establishing how successful a club we are. It just doesn't make sense.

You stay bewildered fella ill look at the reality of the situation 😂😂

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 pm

Mr Reality wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:25 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:08 pm

You stay bewildered fella ill look at the reality of the situation 😂😂
Barmy is right, why would you judge Town players to Norwich Mr Reality why don't you compare them to Colchester United just to cheer yourself up.

I think I would set my sites higher than a club that's not even the best side in Norwich.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:49 am

Our main rivals now are the ones near the bottom.... not Norwich. Just need 3 teams which end up worse than us.

If both Ipswich and Norwich are still in the same league next season ... it’s a result.