Unchanged side again?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Unchanged side again?

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:25 am

Lambert stuck with the same side for Reading and, barring injuries, I can’t see him changing the starting eleven for West Brom.

Maybe the bench might be changed.

Where in the end Hurst seemed to be flailing in the dark, chopping and changing, Lambert seems to have quickly identified a set of players and a more energetic style of play.

In general, not a great fan of the full backs TBH. Spence is an experienced player at 28 and he should have nailed down that RB spot already under Mick or Hurst if he was good enough. Having said that, it’s good for continuity that he keeps his place. I thought he was mostly at fault for that first Reading goal as he should have made more effort to cut out the cross, but he was solid enough. I thought Knudsen could have helped out Pennington more for Readings second. That’s just nit picking and hopefully these defensive errors can be sorted out. As a unit all the starting eleven deserve to keep their place and hopefully are gaining confidence as a team.

Maybe the bench and the substitutions could be tweaked. If Harrison is available soon then he could be a more likely sub replacement for Roberts... ie a bustling, target man ... or more so than Jackson. I wouldn’t mind seeing Lankester given a go at some point.... good to see him on the bench again, though.

Can’t see us making any changes.... just wondering for discussions sake if anyone thinks we should change anything.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Unchanged side again?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am

To be honest Tang I think this is one left to the boss for a while and trust his judgement. For me Paul Lambert is demonstrating all the qualities I was looking for in a manager to replace Mick McCarthy and why I was harping on all the time about the importance of appointing a manager with “Championship” experience in preference to an up and coming new boss from the lower leagues.

The English Championship in my opinion is one of the toughest leagues in Europe and one of the most difficult to get promotion from and isn’t a league for the inexperienced. One of the first rules that Paul Hurst ignored was the need to identify his strongest team and get them working together and build a single unit, with tactical changes coming from the bench, the bloke as we know didn’t have a clue and used more different players in his starting eleven than any other team in the football league.

I like the way Paul Lambert has quickly identified his preferred starting line up, and this alone will help to build these players confidence and get them familiar with one another playing as a single unit, it will also make the fringe players work harder to get selected as opposed to sitting around waiting their turn to be picked.

I’m happy for the moment for this to continue and just hope that Marcus Evans sees enough green shoots coming through to entrust Paul Lambert with some January funds to strengthen his squad with the resources adequate to save us from relegation which I still think can be achieved.

Unfortunately I think he may need to offload one or two of Paul Hursts hopeless signings which will again show Marcus Evans that his penny pinching approach to squad building can prove costly in the longer term.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am

I would have Donacien at RB every day of the week, far more solid than Spence who for me along with Bart are the definite weak links, Knudsen isn't great either but no option at present although he didnt do too bad Saturday apart from as Tang says could have been better for their second goal.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:43 am
I would have Donacien at RB every day of the week, far more solid than Spence who for me along with Bart are the definite weak links, Knudsen isn't great either but no option at present although he didnt do too bad Saturday apart from as Tang says could have been better for their second goal.

If I were picking the team Mike I’d have Donacien in there too. For me whilst I know Bart’s not at his best at the moment, we know the level he can perform at and he will only achieve this by playing regularly and restoring confidence, dropping him will only make his situation worse and unless it gets too costly it may be worth sticking with him for a while. I’d also like to see Taylor Edun in the side but can’t quite see where he fits, I just like his style of play. That said I guess we’re better developing Andre Dozzell, at least he’s one of our own.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am

I really like Edun too Andy, he started the season well and is very good on the ball but as you say, where to play him. As for Bart, we are a third of the season in now and he's not had One good game, I would play Gerken, yes he made a couple of errors but way less than Bart. In an ideal world we would offload Bart in January and buy an all round competent keeper.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 am
I really like Edun too Andy, he started the season well and is very good on the ball but as you say, where to play him. As for Bart, we are a third of the season in now and he's not had One good game, I would play Gerken, yes he made a couple of errors but way less than Bart. In an ideal world we would offload Bart in January and buy an all round competent keeper.

Who would you target for a new goalkeeper?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:09 pm

That one is for PL, I dont see it happening anyway, what I am saying is if it were up to me that would happen.