NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Might have to change this thread to "NOW FOR THE PLAYOFFS"

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:59 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:54 pm
Might have to change this thread to "NOW FOR THE PLAYOFFS"
I thought we were promoted back in September. There certainly was a thread on this forum about that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am

yeah, plenty of optimism back then - how could it have gone so wrong?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:18 pm

We've totally under performed in a lot of key games.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:18 pm
We've totally under performed in a lot of key games.
hmmmmmm - maybe we were just never good enough.

Let's assume that it's down to under-performance then, rather than unfounded blind optimism during August/September.

Who, in your opinion. is responsible for the un der-performance? The players themselves, the coaching staff, the manager, or other factors?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:26 pm

You could be right that we aren't as good as some, myself included thought we were, I still think it's totally under performing and for the most part I blame the players, a bit I also blame on the owner and a small part on the manager when he was chopping and changing way too much.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:26 pm
You could be right that we aren't as good as some, myself included thought we were, I still think it's totally under performing and for the most part I blame the players, a bit I also blame on the owner and a small part on the manager when he was chopping and changing way too much.
I think you are 100% right about the rotation - that only ever works if you have a premier league standard squad.

You would expect me to blame ME - I do actually, but not for the underperforming. If anything, we have far too big a squad, but a squad of - apart from Downes and Woolfenden - distinctly average players who struggle even at this level.

If I was the owner, I'd have looked at the start of the season to offload at least 10 of the current squad - not sell as I cannot for the life of me see other clubs wanting to ppay money for the likes of Chambers, Skuse, Judge, et al - but offloading 10 average players would have freed up the wage bill to be able to bring in 2 or 3 players of a bit more quality

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 pm

I’ve always wanted to think we’ve underperformed as opposed to not being good enough as then there’s hope we can turn a corner and we’re back on track. But, really, we’ve been done so many times then it really looks as if we’re just not good enough. We actually played well first half and were the better team in that first half - yet, not for the first time, ended up second best.

Prior to yesterday’s game, the latest Chambingo was “we’ve crossed a psychological barrier” after the Burton game. That sounds to me as if the team still thinks they’re a top team, yet we’re hindered by some psychological hang-up. However, I think the real psychological problem is the team thinks it’s better than what it really is.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am
In most businesses you have to start by looking at the top and work down. Whilst I’ve never been a fan of Marcus Evans mainly because of the financial cosnstraints he’s made our last three managers work under I don’t think our current plight has much to do about money. If you look at the seven teams above us in the league table only Sunderland have a squad anywhere near the value and cost of ours. In fact bar Sunderland all our fellow competitors chasing for promotion run on a budget of less than half ours, and in the case of Coventry they don’t even have a home to call their own. What may be worth looking at at owner level is the top team Marcus Evans has around him, eg advisors, recruitment policy, management and coaching staff. The first two I know very little about, maybe someone can enlighten me ?
However what I do know is that Paul Lambert has to take a decent chunk of the blame. At the time when we were doing well he should have known his best team and built those players up to believe they were unbeatable. What did he do, totally the opposite, he ripped the team apart from game to game, destroyed the players confidence and they had not a clue who they would be playing alongside from one game to the next. His rotation policy was a disaster and 20,000 fans could see it week in and week out. The only other manager I can recall who rotated goalkeepers was Ron Greenwood who rotated two world class keepers Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton, but that was simply because neither one was better than the other and both accepted the situation and were happy playing in alternate games, and the defence were equally comfortable playing in front of either. With us I think Tomas Holy is a notch better keeper than Will Norris and the defenders probably think that too. There are numerous other examples where the rotation policy made little sense. On match days the players don’t appear to have any confidence or fight in them especially at Portman Road and Lambert seems incapable of getting the best out of them let alone a little bit more. He also doesn’t seem to read the game well enough to make substitutions that change the way a game is going, in fact some of his substitutions are bizarre.
Lastly we have to look at the players some of whom just don’t appear to be bothered. I can accept some players simply aren’t as good as others and on occasions the opposition are just much better players, but that hasn’t always been the case in games we’ve lost. There have been games when for one reason or another (maybe linked to rotation) players have shown a distinct lacked effort, lack of interest and lack of work rate, and that’s just not acceptable. What our players definitely lack is a “Winning Psychology”, but I’m beginning to question whether Paul Lambert has it either.
In summary I guess we’ve got so many problems it’s difficult to nail it, but what I do know is giving Lambert a 5yr deal is crazy and that one’s definitely down to Marcus Evans.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:15 pm

I guess as this is the ‘Now For Promotion’ thread it has to be said that there’s still at least a mathematical chance it could happen... although God help this current squad in the league above!

If the increasingly unlikely promotion doesn’t happen, personally I think PL should get a chance to build a slim, young and hungry squad to take us up, if not in 2021, then in 2022. I don’t think he necessarily deserves that chance but I don’t see another option.

Unfortunately Woolfenden and Downes will go to clubs in higher divisions - it’d be unfair to keep them tbh

I don’t know who’s on what money but I think the experienced Chambers, Wilson, Skuse, Nolan, Judge, Hews, Sears and Keane may have shown they don’t have the ability or potential to get us promoted - maybe time for them to give way.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:26 pm
Do you think Mick McCarthy would get this current squad promoted from League One ?
Massive reality check for many Ipswich Town fans this season, all well and good blaming the owner but I think the real blame lies elsewhere ?
Ipswich Town are now in a disgraceful position which should never have happened.
At least the footballs better ?????????????

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:29 pm

No idea but if he did it would be in a virtually empty stadium

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 pm
Do you think Mick McCarthy would get this current squad promoted from League One ?
Massive reality check for many Ipswich Town fans this season, all well and good blaming the owner but I think the real blame lies elsewhere ?
Ipswich Town are now in a disgraceful position which should never have happened.
McCarthy would probably have kept us up. Whether e he could get us promoted is open to question. But I'm happy. Fans are fed up be sure they thought we would get promoted. I've never expected it so I'm not so bothered.

So despite the loss , I'll say it again. For 44 minutes we played thrm off the park. We lack a decent goalscorer. We lack creativity too. So much of the good stuff and chances rely on Jackson's pace. Once we went behind Oxford played deeper leaving less space behind the defence for him to make runs. I'd have tried Bishop earlier and possibly Dozzell to give us more creativity. But overall I'm happier than I was with MMs football. That's not a criticism of him, his (lack of) style of football was necessary to keep us up. But ultimately it was boring beyond belief.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:40 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 pm
McCarthy would probably have kept us up. Whether e he could get us promoted is open to question. But I'm happy. Fans are fed up be sure they thought we would get promoted. I've never expected it so I'm not so bothered.

So despite the loss , I'll say it again. For 44 minutes we played thrm off the park. We lack a decent goalscorer. We lack creativity too. So much of the good stuff and chances rely on Jackson's pace. Once we went behind Oxford played deeper leaving less space behind the defence for him to make runs. I'd have tried Bishop earlier and possibly Dozzell to give us more creativity. But overall I'm happier than I was with MMs football. That's not a criticism of him, his (lack of) style of football was necessary to keep us up. But ultimately it was boring beyond belief.
I seriously doubt I would have been a season ticket holder if MM had stayed, even if we were in the champsionship. Despite the fact we are losing, I do feel the actual entertainment value is better this season. That's not to say I am happy, as winning would be great Lol. But we seriously lack a goal threat and maybe that's to do with the lack of midfild support - or maybe we just are not as good a squad as we thought?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:59 pm

Everyone is different. I witnessed Hibs dominate Stevie G’s The Sevco Rangers earlier in the season..... excellent, attractive football, pinpoint switching of play...... 1-0 Sevco. Left very pissed off. Need to WIN.

Get them winning a few games in the next 5 years, Paul. Earn your dough. Start the winning this weekend.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:11 pm

I definitely miss Mick. This is far more depressing than anything we had to endure in his five years here.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Wish I could get in on that discussion,J4ck, but I think only attending fans opinions would be accepted. Good to see you posting.

d0ugster

Re: Relegation

Post by d0ugster » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:36 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:26 am
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm
d0ugster wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:48 pm

f**king hell
Well... expand a bit more.

Is it because it’s deemed a bit racist to called them Irish kids. I just lumped them together because they’re both Irish and they came here around the same time under Mick. And they don’t look like they have a future here when we’re trying to trim the squad.

Or is because you really rate them?
How else are you suppose to describe kids from Ireland? Don't worry about it Tang you have done nothing wrong. Also the "f**king hell" comment comes from someone who only posts every 2 years, so you might get a response in 2021. :lol:
How dare you

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am
In most businesses you have to start by looking at the top and work down. Whilst I’ve never been a fan of Marcus Evans mainly because of the financial cosnstraints he’s made our last three managers work under I don’t think our current plight has much to do about money. If you look at the seven teams above us in the league table only Sunderland have a squad anywhere near the value and cost of ours. In fact bar Sunderland all our fellow competitors chasing for promotion run on a budget of less than half ours, and in the case of Coventry they don’t even have a home to call their own. What may be worth looking at at owner level is the top team Marcus Evans has around him, eg advisors, recruitment policy, management and coaching staff. The first two I know very little about, maybe someone can enlighten me ?
However what I do know is that Paul Lambert has to take a decent chunk of the blame. At the time when we were doing well he should have known his best team and built those players up to believe they were unbeatable. What did he do, totally the opposite, he ripped the team apart from game to game, destroyed the players confidence and they had not a clue who they would be playing alongside from one game to the next. His rotation policy was a disaster and 20,000 fans could see it week in and week out. The only other manager I can recall who rotated goalkeepers was Ron Greenwood who rotated two world class keepers Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton, but that was simply because neither one was better than the other and both accepted the situation and were happy playing in alternate games, and the defence were equally comfortable playing in front of either. With us I think Tomas Holy is a notch better keeper than Will Norris and the defenders probably think that too. There are numerous other examples where the rotation policy made little sense. On match days the players don’t appear to have any confidence or fight in them especially at Portman Road and Lambert seems incapable of getting the best out of them let alone a little bit more. He also doesn’t seem to read the game well enough to make substitutions that change the way a game is going, in fact some of his substitutions are bizarre.
Lastly we have to look at the players some of whom just don’t appear to be bothered. I can accept some players simply aren’t as good as others and on occasions the opposition are just much better players, but that hasn’t always been the case in games we’ve lost. There have been games when for one reason or another (maybe linked to rotation) players have shown a distinct lacked effort, lack of interest and lack of work rate, and that’s just not acceptable. What our players definitely lack is a “Winning Psychology”, but I’m beginning to question whether Paul Lambert has it either.
In summary I guess we’ve got so many problems it’s difficult to nail it, but what I do know is giving Lambert a 5yr deal is crazy and that one’s definitely down to Marcus Evans.
And yet you are now lauding KM as the best thing since sliced bread for adpting the exact same policy. It's amazing how opinions can change so much in 2 years :wink:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Can we move or delete this thread please, when I first logged on I thought that pleb Derek was back on here lol.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:30 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:24 pm
Can we move or delete this thread please, when I first logged on I thought that pleb Derek was back on here lol.
I second that. Or at least lock the thread?

Not really sure why D0ugstar had to make a comment over two and a half years since the last post and in reply to a post which is even older!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:30 pm
Dazzz67 wrote:

Not really sure why D0ugstar had to make a comment over two and a half years since the last post and in reply to a post which is even older!
I wouldn't be surprised if DOugstar is in fact, Derick. :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:48 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Well it is Halloween 🎃

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:52 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:32 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:30 pm
Dazzz67 wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if DOugstar is in fact, Derick. :roll:
Was thinking exactly the same thing … predictable or what !

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 pm

In that case Mike watch out for anybody who signs up as Lurch!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:01 pm

:lol: @ Dougster.

Derick says “only posts every two years” ……. dougster replies 2 yrs later. :lol: nice one.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:27 am

It may be an old thread, and largely irrelavent now. But reading through it took me back to how much busier this board was even just a couple of years ago. How many threads started now will achieve 16 pages - none I bet. And it was good to see a number of names who no longer contribute to this board for one reason or another.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm

Am watching sheff weds v BR. Interesting to see BR playing much like we do. They are not as good and do not have the quality of player for it but fair play to them for taking it to Weds. i hope they get a result 🤞

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:48 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:21 pm
Am watching sheff weds v BR. Interesting to see BR playing much like we do. They are not as good and do not have the quality of player for it but fair play to them for taking it to Weds. i hope they get a result 🤞
Well they held Plymouth to a 2-2 draw so no reason why they can’t hold Wednesday to a draw too although they’ll undoubtedly get battered in the run up to full time. let’s just hope they can hold on.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:01 pm

Excellent - am fast becoming a bristol rovers fan, despite that knob barton 👍