NOW FOR PROMOTION

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Re: NOW FOR PROMOTION

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:28 pm

When PL got the scum Promoted from league 1 he won 29 Drew 8 Lost 9, so we still have some wriggle room based on those stats. :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm

We'll be fine, having our blip now !!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:48 pm
Excellent news!!!! Any idea when it’s officially over so I can put up the bunting?

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:29 pm

1991-1992 season
Brighton away 2-2
Millwall away 0-0
Portsmouth away 1-1
Charlton away 1-1
Leicester away 2-2
Sunderland home 0-1
Cambridge home 1-2
Derby away 0-1
Eight games without a win. Went up as Champions. 2019/2020, things to address but it’s not doomed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Exactly, bloody doomongers :lol: :lol: :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:54 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Excellent news!!!! Any idea when it’s officially over so I can put up the bunting?
Yes mate, we'll lose at Portsmouth which will see the onset of hundreds of Lemmings running for the hills, after which we'll win at home to Gillingham and at Lincoln to turn the tide, Wycombe away on New years day could just be a day where belief is really restored and the Suffolk samaritans team can finally have a few days off.......

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:54 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Yes mate, we'll lose at Portsmouth which will see the onset of hundreds of Lemmings running for the hills, after which we'll win at home to Gillingham and at Lincoln to turn the tide, Wycombe away on New years day could just be a day where belief is really restored and the Suffolk samaritans team can finally have a few days off.......
Good to hear. Makes sense as Searsy should be fit for the Gillingham game ... he’s got blip-ender quality written all over him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 pm

God we're saved !! Lol.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -a-problem Thought this was a bit strange. Winning giving us a problem ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:56 pm
Bluemike wrote:
tangfastic wrote:

Good to hear. Makes sense as Searsy should be fit for the Gillingham game ... he’s got blip-ender quality written all over him.
I doubt Freddie will start on Sat Tang, but I hope he’ll make an appearance over the last 15-20mins. A goal ? Well that would be Christmas wouldn’t it 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 am
tangfastic wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I doubt Freddie will start on Sat Tang, but I hope he’ll make an appearance over the last 15-20mins. A goal ? Well that would be Christmas wouldn’t it 👍
That was only tongue in cheek to get a reaction from Mike (as he loves Freddie :) ) . It’s maybe more likely he’ll get a start in the EFL Cup game against Exeter. I’d be surprised if we rush Sears back after such a long lay off. I think he could do a job out wide as that’s an area we’re weak in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:20 am

No reaction disappointed you lol, he won't see first team football that quick, the new year I reckon

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -a-problem Thought this was a bit strange. Winning giving us a problem ?
I can understand that the very good start set very high expectations which we couldn’t maintain. That’s a problem - but not the worst problem in the world. It’s those wins in August and September which has kept us in second place. Lambert has said the goal is to win the league so he’s setting high standards himself. And 3 points in September counts as much as 3 points in November or March. If we’re serious about winning the league, then we have to start winning again. A blip might be expected, but it’s in our own destiny to make these blips as short and infrequent as possible. It’s not a rule in football that you have to have a non-winning period (last league win on Nov 5th) - it’s up to us to respond to bad results as quickly as possible. It’s a two way thing - the fans have got to stay behind the team, but the team has to give something back to the fans so we keep onside. It’s not enough to keep pointing at second place, as if we can’t get back winning we’ll be sliding back into the top six and then out of it.
I think we’ve played 28 times this season in all competitions and we’re still trying to find the best formation and best combination of players. Somethings wrong there. It’s hardly being negative or panicking - we want promotion and we need to start winning again.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:37 am
I can understand that the very good start set very high expectations which we couldn’t maintain. That’s a problem - but not the worst problem in the world. It’s those wins in August and September which has kept us in second place. Lambert has said the goal is to win the league so he’s setting high standards himself. And 3 points in September counts as much as 3 points in November or March. If we’re serious about winning the league, then we have to start winning again. A blip might be expected, but it’s in our own destiny to make these blips as short and infrequent as possible. It’s not a rule in football that you have to have a non-winning period (last league win on Nov 5th) - it’s up to us to respond to bad results as quickly as possible. It’s a two way thing - the fans have got to stay behind the team, but the team has to give something back to the fans so we keep onside. It’s not enough to keep pointing at second place, as if we can’t get back winning we’ll be sliding back into the top six and then out of it.
I think we’ve played 28 times this season in all competitions and we’re still trying to find the best formation and best combination of players. Somethings wrong there. It’s hardly being negative or panicking - we want promotion and we need to start winning again.
Spot on. I just cant imagine thou Klopp or Pepe saying we won to many at the start?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:58 am
tangfastic wrote:

That was only tongue in cheek to get a reaction from Mike (as he loves Freddie :) ) . It’s maybe more likely he’ll get a start in the EFL Cup game against Exeter. I’d be surprised if we rush Sears back after such a long lay off. I think he could do a job out wide as that’s an area we’re weak in.
I like Freddie :D and he’ll be our saviour lol 🤞🤞 but only if PL plays him in his correct position / centrally ! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Our saviour 😂😂😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:58 pm

....... and you can shut yer bikkie hole :lol: anyway, get back to work!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:46 pm

Well we can forget about getting another striker in January now that Freddie’s back! Let’s hope all of our strikers stay fit for the rest of the season. Busy period about to commence, so based on history we’ll probably pick up a few more injuries.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:16 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:46 pm
Well we can forget about getting another striker in January now that Freddie’s back! Let’s hope all of our strikers stay fit for the rest of the season. Busy period about to commence, so based on history we’ll probably pick up a few more injuries.

I’m not sure we can cope with too many more ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:19 am

The best way we can improve our chances of promotion is to sort out our home form which so far this season has been bottom quartile. We need to turn Portman Road into a fortress where others don’t want to visit. At the moment opponents appear to look forward to coming to Portman Road and arrive with expectation of getting something out of the game. That has to be stopped.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:47 am

"Blip-ender quality" :lol: Nice!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:48 am

Very true Charny. I’d said to Mike in ore season we’d struggle at home. Wish I’d been wrong tbh . But you could see it coming. The support from the stands st PR had been outstanding this season . So it’s not down to levels of noise. For me it comes back to lamberts insane use of player rotations . The “ team “ spends the first 45 mins of a competitive match getting to “ know” each other it’s bloody ridiculous. We struggle to score more than 1 goal , and let them in with ease. ( same old story for the last point).

I know he won’t want to rush Sears back , or even Bishop ( he also said the same for Huws, who has rarely played ). But by Christ we need all of them in that team now.

Now watch us sell our prized young talent this window ! :roll: feeling quite depressed about it all right now gbh .

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Just over 22,000 fans turn up to watch Town not even put 1 shot on target ffs. Promotion ? :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:19 pm

Feckin fans can’t even get that right for the prediction league! Bstds!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:19 pm
Feckin fans can’t even get that right for the prediction league! Bstds!
At least Hibs won.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Down to 5th. :roll:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:50 am

I still think Coventry are the ones to watch in this league for a promotion place.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:03 pm

We’ll have a better idea by the time they come to Portman Road on 7 March Derek. They certainly have a very busy month coming up, between 28 Jan - 29 Feb they play 8 league games including Portsmouth, Rotherham and Sunderland.
In fact they play Rotherham, Sunderland and Ipswich over 12 days, their results in these three games with have a huge impact on their position in the table.

Mind you Derek, in looking at Coventry’s fixtures I’ve looked at ours as well. We’re also very busy and only play one game less than them. Our 7 games in the same period include Rotherham, Peterborough, Sunderland, Burton and Oxford all in the pack of clubs chasing automatic promotion.

Maybe we should hope for a Coventry v Birmingham draw in the FA Cup on Saturday and a Cov win after extra time and penalties in the replay, that’ll keep them busy.

Whilst I wouldn’t advocate staying in this league any longer than necessary it’s far from boring.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:54 am

We are top of the League :D

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:03 pm

Should Lambert go if we are not promoted ?