Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get the 3 points?

Ipswich Win
71%
Bristol Win
14%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 21

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bristol City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm

I disagree with whoever said you can't blame the players, I f**king well do, Bart has cost us goals in virtually every game this season, been saying for years Knudsen is woeful, anyone can see Spence isn't up to it, now we have Edwards turning in p*ss poor efforts, it was partly his fault for the Third goal and he offers no help to Spence at all.

I think Relegation is now a nailed on certainty and like others have said I too disagree with this regroup nonsense, it will be a total and utter disaster from which we may never recover so with that in mind Evans HAS to spend in January, I believe that is the reason he (PL) came here because he has been promised funds.

On a side issue I heard last night that we have Chambo to thank for the removal of Hurst and co, not sure of all the facts but apparently him and Doig squared up and had a bit of a set to over the way players were being treated etc, by all accounts it escalated and next thing bang, all fired.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm
I disagree with whoever said you can't blame the players, I f**king well do, Bart has cost us goals in virtually every game this season, been saying for years Knudsen is woeful, anyone can see Spence isn't up to it, now we have Edwards turning in p*ss poor efforts, it was partly his fault for the Third goal and he offers no help to Spence at all.

I think Relegation is now a nailed on certainty and like others have said I too disagree with this regroup nonsense, it will be a total and utter disaster from which we may never recover so with that in mind Evans HAS to spend in January, I believe that is the reason he came here because he has been promised funds.

On a side issue I heard last night that we have Chambo to thank for the removal of Hurst and co, not sure of all the facts but apparently him and Doig squared up and had a bit of a set to over the way players were being treated etc, by all accounts it escalated and next thing bang, all fired.
Well if your last part is correct, then Mevans needs to be congratulated for acting on it. I also pray that he will give Lambert funds then come January.... but I am unconvinced it will be timely enough to save our sorry as* from League 1.

We need a number of seasoned experienced and hardened pros to help us out.... Who would be available???

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:

I think Relegation is now a nailed on certainty and like others have said I too disagree with this regroup nonsense, it will be a total and utter disaster from which we may never recover so with that in mind Evans HAS to spend in January, I believe that is the reason he came here because he has been promised funds.

that was me that said about the players but I think I worded it poorly. What I meant was the majority of our players just aren't good enough, I did however name Bart, Knudsen, Chambers (last night) and Spence as people who I do feel should take some blame. But I think as a squad the players are not good enough overall, the ones that cant be defended are the ones that have been here over the past few years as we have seen them perform better than this. I said to my dad though that in the past its all been comfortable and weve never had to go for the result on the front foot so this current situation is difficult, we have to go for the 3 points and force the play ourselves.

Interesting about Chambers and Doig too but certainly doesn't sound out of the realms of possibilities given all the rumours that were going round

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 pm

In my opinion our future lies firmly in the hands of Marcus Evans who has the choice of investing to save us from relegation, or not investing and stand back and let us drop.

I don’t buy it that players won’t come here because we’re bottom of the table, Mick McCarthy made something like 14 signings to save us from the drop, Lambert could do the same if ME chooses to back him. There are plenty of football mercenaries out there who for enough money and the right contract wouldn’t give a sh*t about relegation, cos they wouldn’t stay if it happened.

I’ve a feeling Championship football is still on ME’s agenda, if not why would he have taken such swift action getting rid of that little muppet Hurst and spent top dollar on acquiring Lamberts services. Whilst i’m as totally pissed off as everyone else I’ve a feeling that Evans will support Lambert in January and that a Great Escape is still possible. Yes, last night was a major setback but we’re no worse off than we were after the weekend other than Hull picking up a point at home, Millwall, Reading and Bolton like us all lost and the gap has stayed at 6 points. All we need is two straight wins somewhere and the gap is closed, easy said but hard to deliver but it isn’t impossible.

Believe me, if Evans wants this club to survive it is still possible and can be done.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:27 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Well if your last part is correct, then Mevans needs to be congratulated for acting on it. I also pray that he will give Lambert funds then come January.... but I am unconvinced it will be timely enough to save our sorry as* from League 1.

We need a number of seasoned experienced and hardened pros to help us out.... Who would be available???

This is exactly what I was saying after we got rid of McCarthy and I was shot down by most who thought we were better off recruiting younger hungry types on the way up from the lower leagues (Hurst included)

Although not many on here agreed with me at the time, I’ve always held the opinion that this league needs seasoned experienced management and players as The Championship oship is widely accepted as being one of the most difficult leagues in Europe to get promoted from. My theory is clearly becoming even more evident.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Arent Bart, Knudsen, Spence, Chambers and Ward all hardened seasoned pros ?

I don't think there is any one thing wrong, I think pretty much everything is wrong atm.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Well day by day at least there are less and less people in the "you can't buy success with money" camp. No, no one ever said it guarantees success, but it's absurd to argue that it doesn't tilt the odds in your favour.

This all lies at the feet of Evans now, he scarily hoodwinked a lot of people with his "interview" in the summer, but finally (I really really hope), we've peeled back all the "it's not the lack of money", "it's the fans that just boo", "it's the players not stepping up", "it's round pegs in square holes", "it's lack of ambition from management", "it's the wrong tactics" etc etc.

Bollocks, it is the lack of funding, always has been, and if this club goes down, it is just ONE man's fault.

You don't get in to football to run a club conservatively, it's a gamble, you invest £50m (or some other arbitrary large number), and maybe you make £200m by getting promoted, maybe you don't, but it's a rich man's gamble. Consistently selling your best assets and allowing only about a quarter of that (at very best) to be reinvested in replacing them is no way to run ANY business.

I could go on and on, but I'll only get angry. Evans is a disgrace of a human, I have believed that for a long long time and am amazed that it's not been consensus for years.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm

You know what Ricco, ive always been inclined over the years to give ME the benefit of the doubt in certain things but I have to say I'm done with it now.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm
You know what Ricco, ive always been inclined over the years to give ME the benefit of the doubt in certain things but I have to say I'm done with it now.
I think we all have Mike, it's natural to stay optimistic about variables you can't change, but he's the one constant in this slow and steady heartbreaking decline. The club have had such good staff at times and they've never been afforded the backing they deserve from the invisible fraudster.

It would not surprise me if he's promised £10m to Lambert in January, what would surprise me is if he comes anywhere remotely close to fulfilling the promise.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm

I don't think Lambert will tolerate lies and false promises though, he has showed in the past that if he doesn't like something he's off.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 pm
I don't think Lambert will tolerate lies and false promises though, he has showed in the past that if he doesn't like something he's off.
Yeah, doesn't bear thinking about, then we would be in an even stickier situation in January. I don't know how likely it would be, but I'd happily keep Lambert for a league 1 campaign if he doesn't do much to change my mind.

I'd like to think this has all changed Evans' opinion and he is going to sharply change tack about how he runs the club, but I don't think I'll ever see that day and even if it were today, it could well be too late anyway.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

I don't think there is any one thing wrong, I think pretty much everything is wrong atm.
The trouble is, if we get the old pros in just to keep us up, we are going back to the mccarthy days of just treading water. Most wanted change including me, but i dont want short term loans or conyracts, i want to see us build, maybe that means going to league 1 first, who knows. Only ME knows the long term plan, which i doubt means investment of any merit.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Unfortunately it's as clear as the nose on your face, we are going down 👇 sadly. No knee jerk reaction we are crap, and average players can't start to play football like the cream of the premier league. We would just like to see some fight and cohesion. Lambert or Pep couldn't save us now.
January won't make a gnats chuffs difference regardless of monies promised by Evans. NOBODY fears playing us and sees us as a guaranteed three points home or away.

Can't recall feeling so pissed off with football in fourty years of following my club. Depressing times. I will eat my hat if we stay up, that's how confident I am that this will end badly for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:22 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm
Bluemike wrote:

The trouble is, if we get the old pros in just to keep us up, we are going back to the mccarthy days of just treading water. Most wanted change including me, but i dont want short term loans or conyracts, i want to see us build, maybe that means going to league 1 first, who knows. Only ME knows the long term plan, which i doubt means investment of any merit.
I agree, we did all want change, whether it be the risk we actually took or another experienced MM type manager, we all wanted it. I too don't want short term loans or bloody mercenaries like Jimmy Bullard, Nigel Reo Coker etc etc coming in, pointless.

I also want to know what most want, some say bring back the inexperienced kids that are out on loan while others say we need experienced been there and done it type players, that is the thing we all have differing opinions as to the way forward, only the other day I kept reading how good it is to keep an unchanged side for Four consecutive games, now change is being called for, I think all football fans are understandably knee Jerk when things aren't going well.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Yeah, doesn't bear thinking about, then we would be in an even stickier situation in January. I don't know how likely it would be, but I'd happily keep Lambert for a league 1 campaign if he doesn't do much to change my mind.

I'd like to think this has all changed Evans' opinion and he is going to sharply change tack about how he runs the club, but I don't think I'll ever see that day and even if it were today, it could well be too late anyway.
I think this is the stickiest situation we have been in since STICKY THE STICK INSECT GOT STUCK ON A STICKY BUN. :lol:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 pm
He has still put in 100 million of his own money to keep us afloat, but transfer funds have been a issue. I don't think the wages have ever been a issue. How much did that c*ck Hurst spend? I think he spent more than MM ever spent, but then again we did sell the crown jewels to generate the cash for Hurst to waste. My decision on ME will come after the January transfer window has closed.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm
Ricco wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I think this is the stickiest situation we have been in since STICKY THE STICK INSECT GOT STUCK ON A STICKY BUN. :lol:
Im going to stick two pencils up my nose and say "wibble"

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:23 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Ricco wrote:

I think the phrase rhymes with "clucking bell"

The situation is bleak but there are 27 games left to go and we have at least started scoring goals.........if we could just stop giving away goals through Sunday league style defending, we might just survive soooooooooooooooo COYB..!!

That's every once of my optimism for 2018 spent........I need to lie down.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:26 pm

I have to give credit where its due, Freddie Sears has made an impressive turnaround from his form last year and I congratulate him. But losing Waghorn , Murphy, Fraser, and yes, I know it was inevitable that Fraser would return to his old club.... we have signed nobody who has their capabilities. Losing Berra was another. We have no players who can effectively create goals week in and week out. As it has been pointed out, this division is a bruiser and getting out of it requires an investment initially, and when you make the Premiership, it requires further investment........ does anyone think ME has the pockets, or will to do that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:52 pm

That very thing is a horrendous concern for me, Freddie Sears our Number One striker, taking nothing away from his form over the last Three or Four games but it WON'T last.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:

I think Relegation is now a nailed on certainty and like others have said I too disagree with this regroup nonsense, it will be a total and utter disaster from which we may never recover so with that in mind Evans HAS to spend in January, I believe that is the reason he (PL) came here because he has been promised funds.

Mike, it’s been a pretty f*cked up day to lick our wounds, but could you explain your comment about that relegation seems nailed on, but we still have to spend in Jan?

It’s probably too early yet.... but if we’re say 10 -12 points adrift by Jan.... why would Evans open his wallet and over-spend on high loanees wages for 5 months if we’re only likely to cut a point defecit by a few points and still get relegated? Or over pay for a player on a 2 or 3 year contract when we are likely to get relegated. It’s too early, but as someone has said already ... in that situation it’s putting good money after bad. Playing percentages, if we’ve only got 10-20 % chance of survival in Jan.... why pay over the top and waste millions when they could be used more wisely in the summer to buy players suited for a League 1 promotion drive.

It’s immateial at the moment... go for the points now to stay in touch by Jan so then it’s up to PL to bend Evans’ ear and wallet.

Saturday night after a win could change all the emotions. Two wins on the trot.... well .... that would feel unbelievable, if unrealistic at the moment. Just feel that Evans will weigh up the realistic hopes and percentages in Jan based on that.. and then he’ll decide how much he’s prepared to pump in.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:

The whole back 4 were a liability or 5 including Bart. So it was the players. I can understand some of the McCarthy tactics TBH. Think lambert is great but this more attack minded approach is showing our shortcomings in defence. A lot of the team just don't look comfortable on the ball and have such poor touches.
The only thing I can say is whilst the 3 teams in front of us keep failing to pick up points there is always a chance although I have no feckin idea where our next win comes from.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 pm

Yeah in my opinion continuing to play the way we are then relegation is a nailed on certainty, that's my opinion. Nobody in their right mind who owns a club should throw the towel in and roll over with half a season to go which is why Evans has to spend, there is no other option. Sorry previous post was a bit ambiguous, I'm f*cked off to the max right now.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:02 pm

I've been too depressed to write before now. This result feels like a seminal moment in our season. All the energy and optimism and positivity shown by the squad since PL arrived seemed to drain away after that third goal went in. It's difficult to see us coming back from this.

I hate to say it but I don't think PL has the knack that MM had for getting the team to earn better results than the sum of their parts suggests are achievable. MM lost the fans and it was right that he leave last season but it has to be recognised that he never lost the dressing room. Teams he sent out, dire as the football was, managed to garner points where none seemed likely. Would a McCarthy team have lost last night? I doubt it. Yes, as someone said earlier, we were treading water but I blame Evans for that.

PL is trying to play a more attacking brand of football and we are beginning to score more goals but the sad fact is that our results have been no better under him than under PH.

Now that the new manager bounce has well and truly turned into a dead cat bounce where do we go from here? It looks increasingly likely we are going straight to Division 1. If that happens I can see us being stuck there for a long time to come. Dark days.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 pm

jimmyt wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:23 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

I think the phrase rhymes with "clucking bell"

The situation is bleak but there are 27 games left to go and we have at least started scoring goals.........if we could just stop giving away goals through Sunday league style defending, we might just survive soooooooooooooooo COYB..!!

That's every once of my optimism for 2018 spent........I need to lie down.
Yes 27 games left, we are virtually at the point where we need play off form to stay up. We need 1/12 to 2 points a game from here on in. This is why teams at the bottom stay there. It has just not happened enough throughout history to give any hope It will be any different for us.

Of course the players carry on, just take each game as it comes and play without fear. If we are well adrift by Xmas keep the money and play our young talent .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 am

Bluemike wrote:

The only Championship experienced seasoned Pro I see there is Luke Chambers, clearly we have different opinions on these players level of competence.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:17 pm
Bluemike wrote:

To be honest No 1 I’d take any short term fix any day to keep our club in the Championship even if it involved doing it the McCarthy way, and worry about medium and long term plans after avoiding relegation. My biggest concern is relegation as I think it would be long term under our current club ownership.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 am
Bluemike wrote:

The only Championship experienced seasoned Pro I see there is Luke Chambers, clearly we have different opinions on these players level of competence.
Yeah fair point Andy, I was far from being of sound mind the other day when posting that

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 am
Bluemike wrote:

Yeah fair point Andy, I was far from being of sound mind the other day when posting that
👍... I actually quite like Luke Chambers and think with better players around him he’d be even better. The problem at the moment is he gets pulled out of position making up for some of the weaknesses around him. This may in fact be one of our problems all over the pitch and why we lose our shape so easily.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 am

That's exactly the point I made the other day, Chambo suffers from the tools around him, who would want to play alongside Spence, Knudsen and Bart !!