Paul Hurst interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Paul Hurst interview

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:56 am

Tangfastic

Re: Paul Hurst interview

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:28 am

Don’t think he’s stuck the knife in.

The lack of investment is something we all know. Mention of senior players not stepping up and being too comfortable. Maybe he has a point. Bottom line.... it was a disaster. Agree with the need for change..... but he ultimately didn’t replace the players who left and sounds like he pissed of a few people.

Happy with PL being here, albeit not in these circumstances. Glad to move on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:01 am

Just a matter of fact interview stating that the finances available are a drop in the ocean to what is actually needed.

He’s only really guilty of believing the Shrewsbury League One wonder season could be replicated in the Championship. A few on here predicted that it just wouldn’t happen. But the club (arguably) had to try.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am

he has a point in what he says but in all honesty if he looked at the Ipswich job in detail he would have known a lot of it before coming in. I could have told him the finances are rubbish and well below the average and that most teams in this league have far more than we do. The idea of change was to use what we have got (some fairly good youngsters) and supplement that with a couple of good signings and look to play on the front foot with some unity in the club. I think he miscalculated what he was coming in to. He says that these players were not being brought in to play every week, im sorry but we as a club do not spend money up to and over £1m for players to come in for future, we haven't been like that for a very long time and he really should know that.

Sounds like he didn't get the targets he wanted, but he did sign a lot of players, I think he does need to take a portion of the blame. Also he says about senior players but the more we hear the more it sounds like he never really tried to get them on side which I think was essential for him. Maybe they are too comfortable but its been like that for a long time and you cant just rip that up, you've got to do things over time and at least have them on your side. Most people oppose change, even more so when its forced upon you against your will, it just about being a good man manager. I remember Hurst saying that there was nothing to fear in this league and the gap is not huge, I think from reading his comments he is now realizing that Is not the case, there is a big gap, 10's of millions in terms of finances which mean you are coming up against almost Premier League standard teams on a consistent basis.

Interesting interview but doesn't tell me much other than PH was quite naïve about this job

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:13 pm

A lot of people will think that taking a club that was 2nd favourite to be relegated (Shrewsbury) to the League One plays off would be relative to changing ITFC (or any lower league championship club) into championship play off contenders. For me, definitely not so. Which takes it back to Mevans and his finances.

Having belief is paramount and every manager should have it in abundance, ...... but like you’ve already said Charlton; competing with relegated EPL clubs etc...... being realistic sort of trumps belief. Unfortunately that applies to Lambert as well.

Doom and gloom bstd..... (pound in the tin) ...., off back to work.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Money and signings made aside, the common theme that people who attend games kept saying was that his one dimensional tactics and changing lineups were probably the biggest factor in only having a short tenure with us.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Was candid in his assessment and shows no ill-feeling for his near instant dismissal. As always some will argue he made the move to higher level too soon or wasn't prepared sufficiently to undertake responsibilities away from the comfort zone of Shrewsbury / League One. Maybe wasn't ready to experiment or implement new ideas at a new club irrespective of higher league which ultimately played a hand in his eventual downfall.

Would have been made aware at time of interview there isn't a pot to p*ss in and working with inadequate funds but that's little to no reason why the team should have started out as poorly as it has since his arrival. I mean no wins in 15 games was it, available money or no available money you knew something had to be done. Pity the way it happened but we move on. Retrospectively it was a risk that failed considerably, wish him well with his future endeavors.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:27 am
he has a point in what he says but in all honesty if he looked at the Ipswich job in detail he would have known a lot of it before coming in. I could have told him the finances are rubbish and well below the average and that most teams in this league have far more than we do. The idea of change was to use what we have got (some fairly good youngsters) and supplement that with a couple of good signings and look to play on the front foot with some unity in the club. I think he miscalculated what he was coming in to. He says that these players were not being brought in to play every week, im sorry but we as a club do not spend money up to and over £1m for players to come in for future, we haven't been like that for a very long time and he really should know that.

Sounds like he didn't get the targets he wanted, but he did sign a lot of players, I think he does need to take a portion of the blame. Also he says about senior players but the more we hear the more it sounds like he never really tried to get them on side which I think was essential for him. Maybe they are too comfortable but its been like that for a long time and you cant just rip that up, you've got to do things over time and at least have them on your side. Most people oppose change, even more so when its forced upon you against your will, it just about being a good man manager. I remember Hurst saying that there was nothing to fear in this league and the gap is not huge, I think from reading his comments he is now realizing that Is not the case, there is a big gap, 10's of millions in terms of finances which mean you are coming up against almost Premier League standard teams on a consistent basis.

Interesting interview but doesn't tell me much other than PH was quite naïve about this job
Very well said! I agree with all of that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm

Bit of a nothing interview for me, he is right about certain senior players letting him down early doors but aside from that its all a load of predictable tosh.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm
Bit of a nothing interview for me, he is right about certain senior players letting him down early doors but aside from that its all a load of predictable tosh.
TBH Mike, the way i read it, it was "it's not my fault" "the senior players didn't bond with the new players" the fact that he did to much to soon, and wouldn't change tactics no matter what was happening shows me he was out of his depth. Unfortunalty
Last edited by K L Blue on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Yes he appears to blame himself for absolutely nothing.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Dreadful interview in my opinion. He takes no responsibility for anything. He comes across as a spoofer happy to blame the set up, the finances, the established players everything and everybody but himself.

It was obvious within a very short period after the league started that this guy was not ready for the toughest league in the country. His rigidity in tactics and his constant tinkering with the starting line up pointed to confusion and incompetence. To add to the mix he brought in players who are not yet up to the standard required and may never be. PL has to try and salvage something from this sorry state of affairs. We can only hope he is up to the job.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Couldn't have summarised it better, Massey. I so wanted Hurst to succeed but his interview persona always seemed to be so very different to what we were witnessing in terms of line ups and tactics. I also struggle to see how ME was adamant that he was the man from day one. Still whats done is done so lets not look back too much. Excited and nervous about tomorrow night - hope there is a big crowd as a win under the lights would be immense. Leeds and others doing their bit which helps us tonight - could do with the scum beating Hull (sorry but needs must) - 3 points could leave us one win from safety and I would take that right now if offered it...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:35 pm

I can see why ME saw Hurst as his number one target, I really wanted Hurst when it was announced we were going down a different route and trying something different, he had done well at previous clubs, took Shrewsbury from Relegation favs to one game from promotion on one of the smallest budgets in League One so taking a chance on a young untested manager there wasn't really anyone Better, on paper at least, clearly it didn't work out.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 pm

Yes, I see that Mike and agree. I just never found his interviews very coherent and that translated into lack of consistency in selection etc. Maybe ME saw it as you say and PH interviewed better than he came across in the press conferences I saw. I was just so disappointed at his apparent lack of energy and enthusiasm on the touchline but I guess ME would not have asked him to show that at interview! 'Can you just run up and down the touchline and act like we are 2-0 down pleae Paul?' 😀 oh well - all water under the bridge now and as long as we win tomorrow, with tonights results by and large going to form, we will be right back in the mix and thats all that matters! COYB's

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:46 pm

I agree, his body language and demeanour etc disappointed me greatly, he lacked passion, I expected more.

As for tomorrow a win will see us close to within 4 points of 4 teams, that will look much better, this game is massive.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:17 am

You are right about it WILL look so much better as well as doing confidence a lot of good.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:25 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:02 pm
Dreadful interview in my opinion. He takes no responsibility for anything. He comes across as a spoofer happy to blame the set up, the finances, the established players everything and everybody but himself.

It was obvious within a very short period after the league started that this guy was not ready for the toughest league in the country. His rigidity in tactics and his constant tinkering with the starting line up pointed to confusion and incompetence. To add to the mix he brought in players who are not yet up to the standard required and may never be. PL has to try and salvage something from this sorry state of affairs. We can only hope he is up to the job.
Tbh Hurst is just a poor mans McCarthy in terms of arrogance, stubbornness , I’m never at fault for anything syndrome . He’ll probably be MM’s successor for Irish job!