Nottingham Forest vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Give us any chance?

Forest Win
70%
Town Win
15%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 20

bluepeter

Re: Nottingham Forest vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by bluepeter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:33 pm

I had 4 fingers up Jordan.....and look what happened.

Towen victory at last.

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:41 pm

Talking about Jordan.....Ref to Lambo,I just used the one finger up the tradesman's entrance...I heard the rumors about the false teeth down below.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Same back five. Spence given another chance.

Midfield : Bishop and Ward come in with Skuse. Downes and CHalobah drop out of team.

Lankester replaces Edwards and Jackson replaces Roberts.

Nolan on bench ... Dozzell and Rowe there too.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Interesting line-up. Think I'd have dozzell in for ward though. Great to see bishop and Lancaster playing. Not too much width today though so I hope we don't get exposed on the flanks defensively where we are very poor. Spence better sort himself out

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Jackson, Lankester, ward & Bishop start. Unfortunately so does Bart & Spence.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Big chance for Ward. This guy has been a disappointment the last couple of years. First game under Lambert and should be up for it.

Good to see Bishop starting and especially Lankester.

Interesting to see Nolan on bench. Edwards and Downes out of squad altogether.

Looks like Edwards took the hit for those soft goals on Wednesday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Betfair offering Bishop off first half with 18 month injury ; 1/40. Not really worth it.

Manager is seeing something in Spence. Everyone is agreed he is a good manager and everyone is agreed that he should be at the club at LG1 level should that happen....... he’s playing Spence. I don’t see many games so now I’m thinking it’s you lot who haven’t got a fking clue! :lol:

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:39 pm

The odds are against us, but who knows we could win this.

Caption. Hey Bart you are dropped! Once you've spat your dummy you can suck on this.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm
Betfair offering Bishop off first half with 18 month injury ; 1/40. Not really worth it.

Manager is seeing something in Spence. Everyone is agreed he is a good manager and everyone is agreed that he should be at the club at LG1 level should that happen....... he’s playing Spence. I don’t see many games so now I’m thinking it’s you lot who haven’t got a fking clue! :lol:
Spence seems to be one of those players who curry favour with the bosses... seems to get away with too much IMO. And he’s not the only one.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Barts at it again!! FFS

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:10 pm

Good old Bart. pr*ck.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:11 pm

Pathetic. Bart again. Regulation save.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:14 pm

Oops he’s done it again! :evil:
Bloody Hull and Bolton winning as well.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Hull, Bolton and Rotherham all winning. This could turn out to be a bad day for us although I realise were only 15 mins in. So annoyed that we conceded from another mistake, we will never win if we don't stop that. I think it's getting near the time where Bart might have to be dropped. I get why PL tried to stuck with him but how long can you afford to do that for

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:40 pm

2-0.
Looks like it might be game over and probably the season as well before long.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:41 pm

This could be a right mauling.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:56 pm

We’ve actually had chances. But so weak in defence.

A real annoyance for me.... when we do get a team pinned into their half... and no certain passes forward...we just pass the ball backwards to Bart... or Chambers.... as if we’re capable of building from the back. It doesn’t work, they’re our worst ball players and we give the ball away.... you might as well pump the ball into the area or along the channels and try and pick up the pieces from clearances, etc.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 pm

7 points adrift
Good night

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 pm

D. Murphy on loan in Jan ?

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm

I was one of those that wanted McCarthy out because the football was poor and it's seemed like we were treading water. It seemed mid table mediocrity was all we could look forward to season after season.

What I wouldn't give for mid table mediocrity right now. Maybe, just maybe, the football under McCarthy was what was required to keep us from plummeting like a stone and that it was Evans' failure to invest in players that was really the problem.

I know I'll get stick for this, that it's pointless to look back and to get over it. That is true. I just can't help feeling that, as long as Evans is in control, we are going to a very dark place. Lambert is a good manager, though not a great one. He just doesn't have the knack that McCarthy had for getting his team to garner points where none seem likely.

We are now seven points adrift. It's very difficult to see us escaping the drop at this point. If we do go down, I don't see us bouncing back for a very long time. Be careful what you wish for indeed!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:27 pm

No more than I expected but again gave them a gift, thanks Bart. Outplayed first half, gave it a go after the break and had a good spell but the lack of quality shone through at times, there is no lacking in effort and endeavour. Absolutely brilliant support, sang throughout, the second half for every second, if there's better away fans ive not seen them.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:42 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm
I was one of those that wanted McCarthy out because the football was poor and it's seemed like we were treading water. It seemed mid table mediocrity was all we could look forward to season after season.

What I wouldn't give for mid table mediocrity right now. Maybe, just maybe, the football under McCarthy was what was required to keep us from plummeting like a stone and that it was Evans' failure to invest in players that was really the problem.

I know I'll get stick for this, that it's pointless to look back and to get over it. That is true. I just can't help feeling that, as long as Evans is in control, we are going to a very dark place. Lambert is a good manager, though not a great one. He just doesn't have the knack that McCarthy had for getting his team to garner points where none seem likely.

We are now seven points adrift. It's very difficult to see us escaping the drop at this point. If we do go down, I don't see us bouncing back for a very long time. Be careful what you wish for indeed!
It’s an ongoing thing.... and Evans is at the heart of it. We need to let go of Mick... his time was up.

Lambert’s doing his best with other managers players. He can’t do anything other than pump up existing players and get them to perform as best they can. When Mick came in, there was a different loan system where he could bring players in whenever... now we have to wait till January.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Just watched the highlights on sky. How we didnt lose by 6 or 7 i dont know. Bart just has to be dropped, his position is dire, when he did decide ti actually get off his line it was laughable goalkeeping. That said, the defence got rings run round them and looked awful so put the goal under pressure. Cant comment on the rest, only saw one ipswich shot.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:39 am

I don't think anyone would be shocked now to see Bart dropped from the squad now very poor form of late.
January transfer window Come to PR a Team already relegated What decent players would want that.?
The ONLY hope is that 3 other teams higher up in the bottom 6 PICK UP LESS points than we do till then.
Cannot see it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 am

Another game has come and gone and again we come up short and without any much needed points added to the paltry tally, in truth it panned out exactly how I expected, a Forest team brimming with confidence, belief and no shortage of ability against a Town team bereft of of any of those Three attributes could only really end one way and so it proved, that said it wasn't as painful as I had imagined it might be, it was another case of Town showing lots of endeavour and willingness with everyone putting in 100% effort but just lacking the quality to really make a difference.

Town boss Paul Lambert did make changes but surprisingly not to the defence which was where pretty much where every Town fan wanted to see fresh faces, instead he tinkered with the Midfield and striker options. We actually started the game pretty well and on the front foot, Jackson was in the thick of the action already, making clever runs and pulling defenders around at the back, Lankester & Ward looking lively in the opening minutes. Alas it wasn't to last long as Forest got themselves ahead with virtually their first bit of possession of the ball.

Earlier in the week I made a comment that for me was an absolute certainty, little did I realise it would be so accurate :-
Well it's confirmed that Bart will be in goal, another game we start 0-1
Unfortunately it took all of Nine minutes for that to come true, spilling what should have been a routine shot for any competent goalkeeper to deal with, I get it was hit with pace but there is no reason at all why that could not have been palmed away and not pushed into the path of the onrushing Lewis Grabban to gleefully fire home. Interestingly we had the pleasure of standing right alongside Harrison, Nsiala, Downes, Edwards, Kenlock and Wright who had come up to watch the game with us fans and clearly One or Two of them thought exactly the same !!! Town players held their heads as bart sat slumped on his backside following another howler which ultimately was going to cost us the points again.

Town's reply was to see the lively and for me impressive Jackson have a shot at goal which was screwed horribly wide, this again coming after good work by Lankester who had started confidently. Forest were getting themselves on top and were zipping the ball around impressively with Town players chasing shadows at times, Bishop had not got himself into the game while little was being seen of Sears & Ward as an attacking force. Cole Skuse was doing his usual tidying up job competently and is enjoying a decent run of form right now, at the back the Fullbacks were at least looking more secure than Wednesday night.

Out of nowhere Town had a good chance to get level, the previously quiet Ward sending in a cross which Jackson got a touch on but sent it just wide instead of hitting the target. Town were having a decent little spell now and another shot from Jackson drew a save from Pantillimon in the Forest goal, it was a decent effort from the striker who had created the chance himself with his tireless closing down of defenders. It was Forest who came whithin a whisker of doubling their lead as a Forest player crashed a header off Bart's post but fortunately it stayed out and bounced away to safety.

It wasn't long however before they did wrap the game up, a super move saw Town cut to ribbons with some nice quick passes before a cross to the far post saw that man Grabban arriving to fire home with ease, Town's defence had no answer to the incisive play and were powerless to stop it. The remaining minutes of the half saw us hanging on for dear life, bart called into action to tip one over while another couple of efforts were fired high and wide. Thankfully the half drew to a close with no further damage to the scoresheet.

Town started the second half in the same manner as the first and Jordan Spence had a great chance to score in the very first minute, a deep cross from the left beat everyone and Spence was on hand having made good ground into the box to put the ball just wide of the post, Harrison and Nsiala who had stayed with the fans throughout the whole interval both felt he should have scored !! Forest were so close to making us pay as again the woodwork saved us from going further behind, another set piece where we struggled to defend it properly almost our undoing.

The game was more end to end now and not as one sided as people may think, half chances coming at either end although to be fair Forest still looked by the far the more fluent of the Two sides going forward. Teddy Bishop had come much more into the game after the break and was getting on the ball and driving forward, one mazy run in particular saw him beat Three or Four Forest players as he surged into the box, unfortunately his final ball just hit the toe of a Forest defender and the danger was cleared but it was a glimpse of the Teddy of old. Grabban hit he woodwork for the Third time, this time the Bar coming to Town's rescue as play switched to the other end.

With time running down young Lankester, just as he was against WBA was so unlucky as he bent in an effort which missed the far post by an inch or Two with the keeper beaten, when things are going for you that goes in but the youngster had had a decent game and certainly doesn't lack confidence. The final few minutes saw Jon Nolan replace Bishop and I know the lad has been out a while but in the time he was on he tried Four passes which all went astray and Three long cross file passes, all of which found touch without touching grass, woeful in truth. With time almost up Pennington (Didn't know who it was at the time) made a superb block on Grabban to prevent him getting his Third. Town had completely run out of ideas by now and were just holding on really with Forest happy to see out the game.

For me the second half was much better and I felt we had a spell where we were on top, whether that was down to the home side sitting on what they had I don't know but we at least gave it a go a created a few openings, there was a few decent efforts from the boys in Blue, I thought Kayden Jackson was very good in the first half, getting into some good positions and had Three efforts on goal, far from easy leading the line alone, Jack Lankester looks the part and oozes confidence for one so young, Skusey had another solid if unspectacular game and Teddy Bishop sowed us that the teddy of old is still in there, the bottom line is and we all know, at present we just lack some real Championship quality in certain areas, that will come but it's still a few games away from the window. This was not a game I had down as getting anything from so in that sense nothing lost, that damage was done against Bristol City on Wednesday night so we still need a shock Three points from somewhere to get us back on track, Stoke next week perhaps ??

Bart....(5) The tale of woe goes on and on, never seen a player so shot to pieces.

Spence...(6) No major errors this time around but should have scored in first minute of second half, still not the answer for me.

Chambers...(6) Battled for everything in both boxes as always, found it tough against Grabban.

Pennington...(6) Same as Chambo really, one exceptional tackle towards the end, reads the game well.

Knudsen...(6) A bit better defensively but offered little going forward, more pointless throw ins.

Ward...(5) Can only remember One decent cross for Jackson aside from that conspicuous by his absence.

Skuse...(7) Having a good season, the work he does always goes unnoticed but rarely gifts goals away.

Lankester...(7) Very bright in the first half and linked up well with Jackson on a couple of occasions, close again to another goal, will only improve.

Bishop...(6) Quiet first half but much better after the break, showed us why he was so highly thought of with a couple of good runs. Needs games.

Sears...(5) Not his day today, been the man of the moment recently but little came his way. Runs his socks off though and got back well at times.

Jackson...(7) Very impressed with his movement and running first half, had three efforts at goal which in itself is an achievement, should have scored One at least.

SUBS :-

Roberts...(5) Saw little of the ball when he came on

Chalobah...(6) Tried to make things happen, always looking to get in the thick of the action

Nolan...(4) LOL LOL LOL LOL why does he even bother !!!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks for the report Mike.

I think like PL says we're in a mini league of 7 or 8 now now with Millwall, Preston, Hull, Reading, Bolton, Rotherham and however you want to look at it maybe Brentford, Wigan or Wednesday.

As other say, we don't lack effort or organisation under PL but just don't have the quality to compete with the likes of WBA, Boro, Leeds etc. Unfortunately I think that's also true of Forest and Stoke.

I think the Wigan game is realistic to target three points from, although we'll need a keeper who is not giving goals away like early Christmas presents!

Someone mentioned the idea of the 35 year old Daryl Murphy as a possibility of a loan in January. What do others think? Could he do a job for us? And would he want to come?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh I see now Murphy already discussed in Brett Pitman thread

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:19 pm

I’m not sure Murphy or Pitman would make that much of a difference. I agree with those who say the defense should be sorted first. It would be nice to get a Fraser like midfielder on loan or maybe a young up and coming striker. I’m more confident of that happening with PL. We have scored a few goals...we just can’t finish games off because of mostly poor defending or goal keeping.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Thanks for the report. Like what I’m reading about Lankester, not just in your reports but on other publications. Hopefully his ability grows and is a big enough player to be a regular, but not big enough to be the waterboy @ Spurs next season.

Having said all that......, said the same stuff about Downes. He seems to be turning to Shyte slightly but because I’ve actually seen what that laddie can do, I’ll blame the other useless twats around him that are bringing his game down a notch or two. Hopefully that doesn’t happen with Lankester.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Downes has been decent Marko, prior to the West Brom game he was my MOTM 2 or 3 times, I think he just needed resting tbh, he isn't the best set piece taker though.