Will He Stay Or Will He Go?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Will He Stay Or Will He Go?

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:28 am

I see the rumour mill has already started in some quarters regarding Paul Lambert's future should we get relegated.

There is speculation that he might have a release clause in his contract should we get relegated and also would he want to manage a league 1 club again? As some of you might be aware I was one of the minority who were not convinced by his appointment and tbh despite his excellent PR work since joining the club I'm still not sure. However, having said that imo the last thing this club would need is another change of manager in a relatively short space of time. He will have been here for approximately 2/3rds of this season which will have given him time to assess things at the club both on and off the field and has also got promotion from League 1 before.

Therefore, despite my reservations I would still prefer to see PL here next season should the dreaded R word happen, Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are?

Tangfastic

Re: Will He Stay Or Will He Go?

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:45 am

I want him here if we stay up or get relegated.

Trying to think from Lamberts perspective.... if we do get relegated, is his stock that high to leave Town and pick up a better job? Also, can Evans convince him that he will support him financially to get Town up straight away? Don’t think Lambert’s a mug and if tasked with an instant promotion on the mega-cheap I’m not sure he’ll play ball. Maybe the best signing will be Lambert himself. I think he’s the type who’ll be in Evans’ ear and not take sh*t or be too accepting.

Rumours seem to be proportional to the amount of sh*t we’re in.... so I’m not sold on the rumour or any other at the moment... but it’s a decent discussion point, even if it’s November.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 am

id like him to stay regardless as I don't see us getting anywhere by constantly changing managers. However my gut feeling is if we don't stay up PL's decision would be based on how seriously Evans wants to get us up and im not sure that discussion will be too positive.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

I hope he will stay, lets see who he brings in January, that will give a better picture whether it is a short term or long term project.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:30 am

I would like him to stay , rebuild for a promotion push next season ( should we go down)
He Needs to sort out the squad get the players OUT that are not doing it and bring in his own style of players that will do the business for him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:36 pm

I will bet anyone on here he will not stay should we go down, I just can't see him doing League One again. I will be disappointed though as I think once he gets his own team in here we would be decent but we may well never see it come to pass.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm

I think he will stay if we go down if we keep all the young players that he keeps praising, these with a couple of additions should see us back up IMO.😁

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:58 pm

I fully expect him to have a release clause in his contract should we get relegated. In my opinion he’s far too good a manager for League One and without investment we could be there for a long time.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I wish I hadn’t read this thread! It’s far too depressing......

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:02 pm

:roll: Lets just wait until the Jan window opens, he's got his eyes on 4 players to go for, AND lets see if ME gives Paul the £10 million he has stated when he joined, I want him to stay and turn us around, as I know he can, just get shod of Spence, Bart, Edwards, Knudsen, Nolan, plus a few others, clear the decks and start the rebuild. :D :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Ash
Think you will find that 10 million transfer kitty was paper talk rather than a promise by Evans.
Even PL had a chuckle when asked about it.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:19 pm

I certainly hope he does stay should the unthinkable happen!

Personally I think he would stay if Evans convinces him there's money to build the club up again to at least a safe championship side. That's a big if granted!

Why would he stay? Well he was out of work for six months prior to coming to Town so he's not exactly hot property it would seem; he had success in the past with some team who play in yellow taking them up two divisions; he can see there's a lot of young talent coming up through the ranks; and also I think he's genuinely happy to manage a club with such a rich past. But this could all be wishful thinking!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I hope you are right Johnny, thankfully we ain't going down xx

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Ha ha yeah me too! Thanks for the kisses xx

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 pm

LMFAO

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:13 pm

If we get relegated, I can't see a lot of clubs coming in for PL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:13 pm

It will hardly be his fault if we are relegated, only two people are to blame for our current plight, one is still with us and gladly one isn’t, neither have the initials PL, although one was called Paul.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:42 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:13 pm

It will hardly be his fault if we are relegated, only two people are to blame for our current plight, one is still with us and gladly one isn’t, neither have the initials PL, although one was called Paul.
We’ll see how the rest of the season goes, but, for now, PL is blameless. However, a relegation means two back to back relegations on PL’s CV... after short stints at Blackburn and Wolves ... and an unhappy end at Villa. Not sure PL will be the hottest manager property around. Does he want another period of unemployment hoping for a better job? A lot depends on Evans. If we’re relegated and he’s prepared to support Lambert, then he might see us the best way to re-ignite his career. One step back... two steps forward kind of thing. On the other hand, if Evans is not prepared to support him... then staying on would be a poisoned chalice for his CV and he might feel its better to jump ship.

I would want him to stay... more stability, got Norwich promoted from League 1 first time, will know the potential of the squad by end of season.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:23 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... gm-tonight I hope somebody asks him tonight if we get relegated will he stay.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Stay would seem to be PL's thoughts at the moment

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-se ... -1-5809333

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 pm

That's bloody fab news if true!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Think Lambert has answered this question today.
Paul Lambert is a Blue !

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Great news.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 pm

Another bet I would have lost !!!!

patthegimp