Stoke City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An unlikey 3 points?

Stoke Win
75%
Ipswich Win
13%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Stoke City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:41 pm

By all accounts it looks like we’re holding our own in the first half and having a go at them.

Could we possibly spring a surprise here ?

Can’t wait for an update from one of the lads at the game.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:45 pm

God knows we deserve a bit of luck for a change

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm

ffs another goal in added on time

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:51 pm

And there we go... :x

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Ince 45+2 Grrrrr played well by the sound of it up until then .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm

What a ridiculous scoreline, played well and been better side, just lacking a bit of quality at crucial times

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:04 pm
What a ridiculous scoreline, played well and been better side, just lacking a bit of quality at crucial times
Roll on January we might get a bit of quality in the transfer window...Fingers crossed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:12 pm

I know we’ve played well but we just can’t afford to keep losing especially when we play well. So disappointing.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:20 pm

I know stats aren’t everything but according to BBC we’ve had 7 shots to their 2. 3 on target to their 1.

If we keep playing like this surely a result is going to swing for us

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Another gone in :(

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:26 pm

2-0 allen

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Cannot find a way to keep a clean sheet. Starting point to giving any team a chance of a win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Sadly it looks like game over. I just hope we don’t capitulate and take a thrashing.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

More shots, more corners shame we got nothing to show for it. But that's what happens when you are struggling. :(

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Played well but cannot score....!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm

If the mark of a good team is to win when it's not playing well what does that say about a team that loses when it is playing well. This seems to have been one where we should and could have got something from it.

When things aren't going your way everything seems to go wrong. At this point I just don't see a way back for us this season. Looks like we are for the drop along with Bolton and A. N. Other. Depressed!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 am

While arguable you couldn't fault with levels of commitment the fact remains it's some 1 win in 20 games and the threat of League One becomes more imminent with another passing game.

Fancy play and creating opportunity is all very well but with nothing to show for it will not aid a cause. Taking nothing from the players or for that matter those that traveled and made the journey, (however) all told this is a results business. Got to implement whatever improvements were evident today and reciprocate standards for subsequent games ahead. Not over by a long way but by God victories are required soon to avert an eventual demise.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 am

Wasn't expecting much from this game & was not surprised by the defete, hopefully we can streathen in January .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:10 am

I remember some posters in the past saying they would take defeats and good football over dull and boring wins any day of the week so on that basis there are a fair few who are happy after yesterdays game. Another match has come and gone with nothing to show for our efforts, points wise at least, while it was a game that not many Town fans saw us getting anything from it is still mightily frustrating to have played so well and yet suffer yet another undeserved defeat. Paul Lambert said after the game we dominated it, and while the word dominated may be a bit strong we were definitely the better side over the Ninety minutes, we looked the more likely going forward, created the most and better chances, had more corners and generally looked the better side, all we lack is a bit more nous and quality at key times, especially in the final third which is of course where it really matters.

The opening Fifteen or so minutes actually saw Stoke in the ascendancy with hesitancy once or twice in the Town defence very nearly costing us, thankfully Gerken was quick off his line on one occasion to avert the danger. Most of the action was in or around the middle third where Town's trio of Chalobah, Nolan and Downes were showing up well, Chalobah in particular was catching the eye with some nice work, winning ball and breaking up play, even his passing was on the money for a change, Nolan too had started better than I have seen before and was snapping into the tackles and putting himself about. Midway through the first half Town had their first real chance to go ahead, once again Jack Lankester striking the post with his low effort, that's Three times now in recent games the lad has hit the woodwork, from the resultant corner another chance, I know not who from put the header wide, a chance begging but a good sign of intent from Town.

The game was now quite end to end but Town had grasped control and were definitely on top, chances were coming Town's way with Sears, Roberts and Lankester all having efforts which didn't trouble the keeper, at the other end Tom Ince was proving to be their biggest threat and looked lively with that bit of quality too which at times threatened to open us up, thankfully Town's defence was by and large standing firm and defending well, even the much maligned full backs were having a better day. We were just saying to each other how crucial it was to get to the break level when wham another cruel blow hits us, a nice little through ball found Ince inside the box who had little trouble in finding the net, in real time it looked tight for offside, haven't seen it again so not sure but there was definitely a suspicion of it, either way the goal stood and despite all our good play we were yet again a goal behind at half time. It was a credit to Town that Stoke had had to resort to long balls over the top in the hope of something falling their way such was the impressive performance put in by the Town players, Chalobah in particular had been very good playing the Cole Skuse role.

Town came out on the front foot for the second half, something which in the past has not always happened, we are often slow to get into our stride but lately we seem to be getting out of the blocks well, Lankester took responsibility for a free kick in a dangerous position and only a slight touch from a defender prevented him from finding the goal, next up it was Downes turn to fire one in which was comfortably saved, in truth it was a good opening and he maybe should have done better but all the same Town were again on top.

Out of nothing Stoke then fashioned a good move down our Right side which for a change cut us open and resulted in Allen getting a deft touch to send it past the helpless Gerken, Two efforts on target and Two goals, says it all, clinical finishing but so against the run of play. Town now had a mountain to climb and to their credit kept battling away but that feel of being on top had diminished and Stoke were now playing with a bit more confidence having worked a Two goal cushion. The best chance in the remaining period of the game fell to Roberts who came oh so close to his first goal, his shot across goal missing the far post by an inch or Two at the most. That miss seemed to drain any belief out of the players that they could stage a late late recovery to muster a point and so it proved. A game that had us looking on top for much of it ultimately ended in yet another defeat, if the results were mirroring the efforts of the travelling fans we would be top by a distance and out of sight, we were fantastic from start to finish once again.

Gerken...(6) No Chance with goals, little else to do for most of game.

Spence...(6) More solid yesterday and error free, one surging run in the second half won a free kick from which we nearly scored.

Pennington...(7) Really good defending at times and some great interceptions etc, distribution was not the best.

Chambers...(6) Never shirks a thing, great to see him passing the ball around with confidence, no hoofing in sight.

Knudsen...(6) Like Spence much more solid, started very well, doesn't get forward as well as Spence.

Chalobah....(8) Excellent game for me, controlled the Middle for long spells, sat in front of the back Four and added that protection, passing was better and won loads of tackles. MOTM.

Nolan...(7) Best I have seen from him by some distance, looked hungry and on the pace, tracked back well and got stuck in, some neat passing too.

Downes...(6) Started slowly but grew into the game, another who is not afraid to get the foot in, chance to score, should maybe have done better.

Lankester...(7) What a super little player he is going to be, has all the attributes required, has an eye for goal and was so close yet again to finding the net, our most dangerous goal threat.

Sears...(6) Not quite his day after the heroics of previous games, little fell to him but as always works so hard.

Roberts...(6) So hard for the boy, leading the line alone was often isolated and found it tough at times, not faulting his commitment and effort just lacks quality, so nearly scored late in the game.

SUBS :-

Dozzel...(5) Little time to impress and failed to do so, a shadow of what he was.

Edwards...(5) Made a couple of decent runs but not the same player from the early weeks of the season.

Harrison...(6) Wasn't on for long but looked keen and hungry in chasing things down and putting himself about, will only improve with game time.

When I looked at our position the other day I had us being up to a maximum of 6/7 points behind the others at the turn of the year, yesterday results changed nothing as every result involving our fellow relegation strugglers went as predicted, except for Rotherham who gained a point, from that perspective we are still on course to at least give ourselves a fighting chance, 6/7 is not impossible, especially with new additions hopefully on the horizon, that said I have the next Two games at home to Wigan & Sheff Utd as wins and Six points !!! Anything else may well see the death knell sounding out loud and clear, it is still up to us, what we do is what matters but one thing is certain, play like we did yesterday and wins just have to come, we are getting better, there is absolutely no doubt about that, all we need now is a bit of quality added to the squad and maybe a bit of luck for a change. Keep the faith, after yesterday I haven't completely given up just yet.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:49 am

Thanks as always, Mike. Your usual excellent report.

As you say, we must keep the faith.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 am

Result aside, a very uplifting match report. Proving that Paul Lamberts man management skills are second to none. Seems to be injecting some belief into players that were riddled with low confidence and it’s really showing signs of improvement.
If you think about it, (not that anyone wants too) but being able to inject enough confidence into a relegated side to then achieve double promotions speaks volumes about his dressing room / training ground “chats”. Probably a Sir Bobby Robson type character. Spence doesn’t turn things around on his own. Being taken under Lambos wing and having a chat changes his play.

Luck needs to change, definitely. Lambert has already said that in his long interview the other day, “........ and with a bit more luck....”
Lankester won’t carry on hitting the post. That’s the luck that, by the law of averages, will change.

Great report........ and on the players scores, did you leave the word “not” out for Gwion Edwards?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 am
Result aside, a very uplifting match report. Proving that Paul Lamberts man management skills are second to none. Seems to be injecting some belief into players that were riddled with low confidence and it’s really showing signs of improvement.
If you think about it, (not that anyone wants too) but being able to inject enough confidence into a relegated side to then achieve double promotions speaks volumes about his dressing room / training ground “chats”. Probably a Sir Bobby Robson type character. Spence doesn’t turn things around on his own. Being taken under Lambos wing and having a chat changes his play.

Luck needs to change, definitely. Lambert has already said that in his long interview the other day, “........ and with a bit more luck....”
Lankester won’t carry on hitting the post. That’s the luck that, by the law of averages, will change.

Great report........ and on the players scores, did you leave the word “not” out for Gwion Edwards?
Yes Marko, rectified lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I tell you what Mike, I feel a lot less depressed this morning after reading your report which I found quite uplifting after yesterday’s disappointment. It’s even made me feel like I want to make the effort to see the team play at Middlesbrough between Christmas and New Year.

As long as we can stay in touch with the group immediately above us I think PL will have a good go at keeping us up....

If only Evans hadn’t appointed that pr*ck Hurst all this could have been avoided...... oooops, it sounds like I’m on the golf course again, if only I hadn’t hit that ball out of bounds !

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Thanks as always for your reports Mike.

Looks like the Wigan game is shaping into a Bristol City style must win.

Surely one of these days, Lady Luck will be with us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:01 pm
I tell you what Mike, I feel a lot less depressed this morning after reading your report which I found quite uplifting after yesterday’s disappointment. It’s even made me feel like I want to make the effort to see the team play at Middlesbrough between Christmas and New Year.

As long as we can stay in touch with the group immediately above us I think PL will have a good go at keeping us up....

If only Evans hadn’t appointed that pr*ck Hurst all this could have been avoided...... oooops, it sounds like I’m on the golf course again, if only I hadn’t hit that ball out of bounds !
I am going to Middlesbrough on my own Andy so would be good to share a beer or Two if you make it.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:29 am

I felt we played well in the first half without really looking that threatening, whilst we had 1 or 2 half chances I didn't feel like we were on the cusp of scoring, Lankester was unlucky with his effort and I felt he was our best player. The timing of the first goal was a killer, if only we could have got to half time at 0-0, Stoke were poor, with the players they have I expected much more and by the sounds of it so do their fans. In the second half they played the ball back to their defence and their crowd booed, Rowett then turned round and gave it to the fans behind the dugout and they responded in some angry looking comments being thrown at him, about 10-20 secs later Stoke scored with their only decent passage of play and Rowett turned to those fans and gave it some again. All of this shows me that had we possessed a bit more quality and got our noses in front we really could have got their fans to turn and that would have helped us no end im sure.

Most players for us did OK, Spence and Knudsen were better than they have been although I wouldn't go as far as to say they played well, they just didn't make any glaring errors which in todays world is a step forward. Spence had one drive in the second half which won us a free kick in a good area. Downes, Lankester and Chalobah all did well with Nolan in and out of the game but showed some glimpses. Whilst Roberts works hard up front I really don't see him scoring many, if any, goals. He did come close with one on Saturday but that aside he looked isolated. Stoke for me never got out of second gear, im just disappointed we couldn't take advantage.

Being positive we did compete and we were well in the game, we just have to keep in touch with those above, even then this is going to be a very big ask. One thing is for sure, if we did stay up it would be a season to remember!