January Transfer rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: January Transfer rumours

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Callum Elder in Knudsen out

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Looks like our first loan is Callum Elder a LB from Leicester City, looks like Knudsen could be gone :lol: now lets get the ball rolling with other good Loans or Signings, anyone know much about Callum Elder ????

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:55 pm

I think you’ll find it quite hard to find out much about Callum Elder as he’s never kicked a competitive ball for Leicester City and has spent most of his contract with them out on loan in the lower leagues. Although it would be refreshing to have a new face in the squad I have no reason to believe he’s any better than what we have already and if we’re serious about avoiding relegation we need a few very experienced Championship old hands to get us out this mess not fresh new boys.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:05 am

Aussie Callum Elder is a very athletic left wing back, likes to get up the left flank into attacking positions, very similar to Tyrone Ming's playing style, he has Championship experience with Brentford and Barnsley loans, but Leicester keep him on their books for his potential future LB, so will probably be a better player than Jonas Knudsen, :D :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:24 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:05 am
Aussie Callum Elder is a very athletic left wing back, likes to get up the left flank into attacking positions, very similar to Tyrone Ming's playing style, he has Championship experience with Brentford and Barnsley loans, but Leicester keep him on their books for his potential future LB, so will probably be a better player than Jonas Knudsen, :D :D
So would a Three legged Donkey with Piles & Ricketts.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

PMSL :lol: :lol: :lol: nice one BM

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 pm

As the opening of the transfer window draws closer I’m hoping and praying that Paul Lambert has a five card trick up his sleeve as I can honestly say I’m not looking forward to the prospect of life in League One and unlike some I think we could be there for a long time.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:47 pm
As the opening of the transfer window draws closer I’m hoping and praying that Paul Lambert has a five card trick up his sleeve as I can honestly say I’m not looking forward to the prospect of life in League One and unlike some I think we could be there for a long time.
I honestly can't see any way of avoiding relegation. Like you, i suspect getting out of league 1 won't be easy.

On this forum i have seen endless criticism of Bart, Knudsen, Spence, Chambers, Skuse and (less so recently) Sears. These have all been with us for a few seasons, so have championship experience. If they aren't good enough as some keep telling us, and many of the new lads aren't up to it either, there is no chance of avoiding relegation.

On the other hand, my introduction to football was supporting my home town of Luton from 1960 onwards. As a young boy the rapid relegation from division 1 to 4 was very hard to take. But winning the division 4 title with a team i can still name was brilliant.

The point is this; if PL can keep us up, that's great. If not, let's enjoy watching our team play decent football at a level at which we can hopefully compete financially. We have a league 1 squad because we have league 1 finances. Without blaming anyone for this (I see no point in criticising an owner when the club loses millions each year), maybe we just have to live within our means and accept it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:30 pm

Nice post Andy, maybe I just need to come to terms with it even if I don’t like it.☹️👎☹️

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I honestly can't see any way of avoiding relegation. Like you, i suspect getting out of league 1 won't be easy.

On this forum i have seen endless criticism of Bart, Knudsen, Spence, Chambers, Skuse and (less so recently) Sears. These have all been with us for a few seasons, so have championship experience. If they aren't good enough as some keep telling us, and many of the new lads aren't up to it either, there is no chance of avoiding relegation.

On the other hand, my introduction to football was supporting my home town of Luton from 1960 onwards. As a young boy the rapid relegation from division 1 to 4 was very hard to take. But winning the division 4 title with a team i can still name was brilliant.

The point is this; if PL can keep us up, that's great. If not, let's enjoy watching our team play decent football at a level at which we can hopefully compete financially. We have a league 1 squad because we have league 1 finances. Without blaming anyone for this (I see no point in criticising an owner when the club loses millions each year), maybe we just have to live within our means and accept it.
Good post, I hope we can stay up but unless we get six points from the Millwall and Rotherham games I'm sure it will be Division one football next season saying that when my uncle played for Town in the Third division south I loved it and a true supporter will follow the team through thick and thin.(and we do have a great past unlike some )⚽

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:58 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Do you think the players mentioned are good enough then Andy ? Surely if that were the case we would not be in the position we are, for what it is worth I think Skuse & Chambers are plenty good enough, the others not so. Obviously we all have differing views on individual players.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I'd agree with you. Chambers is slow but an OK defender and great leader. Last year and until injury this year Skuse has probably been our best midfielder, but that only highlights the lack of competition.

I still think the fullbacks are scarcely adequate but it's an impossible job to defend as well as get forward if the team can't keep possession. And if they get forward and put a cross in we have no one who can win a header in the box, and very few bodies as our midfield still don't get forward enough. This is also true when defending free kicks and corners, which is why we concede so many.

Unfortunately I think Skuse has come to the end of the line as he has become more prone to injury. I would have liked to see Downes given more game time last season as a natura snd more dynamic successor in that role.

At the end of the day we have a team trying hard - it upsets me when people say they aren't - but inadequate. The comments about Dozzell today on this forum are true; he's struggling to get back from injury but will probably never have the energy and strength to be a championship player. Very skilful but this league needs hard workers, or a much better team to allow the luxury of his undoubted talents. Which is why he rarely starts.

So essentially we have a very weak squad throughout. Downes seems to be coming good, but there are very few others who I'd be sorry to lose.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Yep, spot on post, I have always maintained that by and large the players give their all and try every game, there has been the very odd occasion where someone has looked a little disinterested but very rare.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 pm

We don’t have enough quality overall - that’s self-evident given where we are in the league and by looking at goals for and against.

Who is championship quality? Our goalie is ok. Chambo has heart but is vulnerable against the best the championship offers. Skuse seemed to be playing well under PL but now injured. Sears is very useful on his day but inconsistent. It’s disappointing that after a good start, Edwards looks lacklustre.

We have two very useful players on loan - Chalobah and Pennington - who I think are good enough.

We also have two very promising younger players coming through in Downes and Lankester. I’d put Dozzell in that category too but something’s not right there and I think he’s off.

Where we obviously don’t have the quality is up front, attacking midfield and both full back positions. If PL can significantly strengthen in these positions very soon we might stand a chance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Just had a call from one of my Leicester season ticket pals who seems to think it’s a cert that Callum Elder is heading our way next week. He recons he’s highly rated and great going forward and if it wasn’t for the current form of England International Ben Chilwell and solid back up offered by Christian Fuchs he would by now be a regular in the Leicester squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Sounds promising then, age is no barrier

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:24 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Yeah,get one of those in to replace him lol

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:24 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Hee-Haw You Mean ...? :wink:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/b ... ides-again

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:33 pm

PL said in his press conference today that he would like to bring in 6 players, that would be good but I can't see it happening maybe three he also said he only wanted players that wanted to come and he would not go back twice for anyone.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm

I think Lambert is very frustrated with the shoe situation now.

If Evans doesn’t back him in this window ( yes it’ll be expensive; but whose fault is that - again), I can see Lambert leaving us at the end of the season and I can’t say I’d blame him,

I just wish Evans would either find to a Champisholevel or f*ck off. Because all we are doing under his ownership is sliding ever downwards .

I couldn’t give a flying one about the “ BCWYWF” brigade. I’d had enough off watching McCarthys dour and utterly soul destroying style,which served only to psetivrr teravks at this Club. Lamberts style is a breath of fresh air.But he had been hamstrung by that pillock
Hursts 3 month tenure. His appointment was 100% Evans’ fault and he now needs to dig deep and find Lambert fully in this window. Failure to to do so will see Lambert leave the Club, and us relegated ( which will cost Evans far more ).
So he needs to put up NOW or bloody sell up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:38 pm

Sorry ref this : bloody iPhone predicted text . Can’t be arsed to go through it and correct it all. You’ll get the gyst hopefully !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Hope you don’t hurt yourself when you fall over Liz, you could break your phone and buy a basic one with spell, grammar and gobbledygook check

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:36 pm
I think Lambert is very frustrated with the shoe situation now.

If Evans doesn’t back him in this window ( yes it’ll be expensive; but whose fault is that - again), I can see Lambert leaving us at the end of the season and I can’t say I’d blame him,

I just wish Evans would either find to a Champisholevel or f*ck off. Because all we are doing under his ownership is sliding ever downwards .

I couldn’t give a flying one about the “ BCWYWF” brigade. I’d had enough off watching McCarthys dour and utterly soul destroying style,which served only to psetivrr teravks at this Club. Lamberts style is a breath of fresh air.But he had been hamstrung by that pillock
Hursts 3 month tenure. His appointment was 100% Evans’ fault and he now needs to dig deep and find Lambert fully in this window. Failure to to do so will see Lambert leave the Club, and us relegated ( which will cost Evans far more ).
So he needs to put up NOW or bloody sell up.
Took nearly all my time to realize the highlighted text was Be Careful What You Wish For. Never quite understood the phrase anyhow.

I'd wish for a return to the EPL or regular involvement in promotion opportunities - cup runs would be welcome also - not a range of failed managers providing soundbites that are ultimately futile.

With you all the way on the Evans must vacate issue. 11 years of the sorry-as* and we've done next to nothing. I don't believe Lambert will up and leave should the team see a drop to League One, he was disabled from day one by the whole Hurst debacle. Substantial funding in January is paramount to save league status but then again you realize who's behind it all in providing funding and (who is) arguably the most senior authority within the club set-up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:23 am

Lol sorry SJ.. “ Be Careful what you wish for”, was a phrase coined by certain tv pundits in the game and then a section of fans, aimed at Town fans for daring to want a different manger in place of MCarthy. Town fans have been accused of “hounding out” MM, which is complete joke really. Town fans have historically been known for being placid, non vocal, and hard to stir up. However , right at the end of MCarthy’s tenure, at the Brentford away game, and SMALL group of London based thugs decided to up the anti in the ground during the game, giving MM an earful. This incited the younger element amongst the Town fans, to join in the aniti McCarthy songs.

After the game, the thugs then reportedly “ attacked” the team bus and tried to abuse McCarthy. A few days later he left the Club. I think at that point it had already been decided that MM would be leaving.

The idea that Town fans hounded him out is farcical. By contrast, McCarthy became hostile towards towards Town fans for months previous to this incident, and verbally abused them in post match interviews.Usually in response to chants from the terraces for him to leave. All mutual respect had long since evaporated .

In truth I’m surprised he even heard them, since a dramatic loss of fans attending games had occurred. Approximately 4K down on the previous season. THIS is the way Town fans register their “ protest”. They’d stopped comining to witness McCarthys dour brand of football.

McCarthys been in the game long enough to know the ways of fans and if he felt he was hounded out, then he’s playing on the pundits sympathy and has gone soft in his old age. If he thought he got a rough ride at Ipswich Town FC and by the Clubs
“ renowned, infamous hooligans” ( I jest), then he should thank his lucky stars he wasn’t at others Clubs where their fans WOULD have given him a helluva rough ride for the crap style he’d drummed into their team.

McCarthys time was up and personally, I’m ver6 happy he left. I’m even more happy we have Lambert . He plays the game the right way. Yes we’re in the shyte right now . But that’s not down to Lambert. I just hope we can hang into him for next season.

Happy New Year Saint Jude

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 am

Brilliant post Hallam. By which I suppose i mean I agree 100% with every word of it

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Nice post Liz, they make far more sense in the mornings. Ha Ha.

Happy New Year, I hope it’s a very good one for you.

xxx

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

A good post Liz and while I agree with a lot of it there is also some which I don't agree with. At the time I too hated the "Be careful what you wish for" comment and as you know I, more than anyone else wanted Hurst to come in, however those that said BCWYWF clearly now have a point, it is all well and good saying the football has improved, it may be a bit more pleasing on the eye (that is all about opinion), but it is definitely every bit as depressing week after week coming home from the likes of Middlesbrough, Forest, Stoke etc having been beaten again.

I also think Town fans very much played a part in the eventual demise of MM, it started well before last season too and it was far more frequent than the Brentford incident you mention where Brentford staff actually had to escort MM from the stadium to the Town coach due to abuse from Town fans, I witnessed really volatile reactions at Lincoln too where we were dire but still it does not excuse fans trying to get on the pitch to have a go at Town players, then there was the famous episode at QPR where the so called fabulous fans decided to boo and insult Jonathon Douglas after he was brought on, it was so bad that Brett Pittman turned to the Town fans and held out his hands as if to say WTF are you lot doing ?? It was embarrassing and shameful, Douglas got this week after week and it wasn't just a minority. We had the MM "f*ck Off" rant at Norwich when we scored and you know what I applaud him for it, bloody morons booing a substitution in the middle of a local derby when the score was 0-0 and we are fighting to win the game, the self same two faced twats celebrating more than anyone when Chambo scored, it makes me sick in truth.

I rareley miss a game and last season virtually every game from mid season onwards had Town fans singing anti Mick songs week after week, "your football is sh*t" being a particular favourite and while I can get the frustration they are so thick they don't see how counter productive it is during a game, it became hard to play in front of, so much so players remarked on how better it became playing away from Portman Road. I can also recall the incident where Trystan Nydam was brought on one game and dared to make a mistake, to then be jeered and booed by his own fans was disgraceful, a kid for christ sake, people will play these things down but I saw it often, bottom line is the fans did play a part in his demise and maybe it had to be forced but the way it was done was wrong, then when Mick dared to go back at them they cried like snowflakes, couldn't take it, they need to man up and while I get he shouldn't have snapped in his position I totally understand it.

Do I wish we had kept Mick instead of trying Hurst ?? Yes I actually do cus the move has sent us down in all probability and despite what some think we will be down for a long long time, unless Evans sells up which I don't see happening anytime soon. Paul Lambert is a breath of fresh air and hopefully he will perform a miracle but I doubt it, will he stay if we go down ? my thoughts are that he will be gone quicker than a rat up a drainpipe, I hope I am wrong. It will be interesting to see how many of these fans who wanted change come what may are still at Portman Road next August for our first home game against possibly Southend, Rochdale or Doncaster, my guess under 10K, great support in times of trouble.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:25 pm

OK all of you, its only the 1st day of the window opening, now we know that PL will sign Callum Elder on loan, BUT just say ME does not want to fund another 5 championship proven players for PL, but says you must sell before you bring in new players, what will you all do, in fact what should all true long standing Town fans do, :roll: we could storm the stand that ME sits in, and shove a bloody great notice under his nose telling to F**k off, or the most sensible solution would be a none attendance at home games, and protest outside the ground, but just saying all that, if ME is a sensible owner he will honour PL's request and get the new players required in bloody pronto, well will he or wont he fund PL ????

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Someone said at the hand today that we had signed today , four players

1) Leadbitter
2) Leicester left back
3) ? Fletcher ( he didn’t know which one )
4) ?? Didn’t know name

Makes no sodding difference anyway now. We’re as good as relegated with half the season still to go. Waiting for the Jan window was the nail in our coffin Evans you f lucking Pratt!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm
Nice post Liz, they make far more sense in the mornings. Ha Ha.

Happy New Year, I hope it’s a very good one for you.

xxx

No worries Andy. Hope you had a good Christmas snd I’m wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year albeit sadly in a league One ! Xx