January Transfer rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: January Transfer rumours

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:43 pm

I’d have thought we’d have higher priorities.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Don’t be so dismissive! Just because this is a link about a player that isn’t a striker , doesn’t mean we’re not in the hunt for a striker, because clearly any idiot can see we would be!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:08 am

What’s dismissive about my comment Liz, even an idiot knows we’ve a surplus of midfield players albeit with a few injuries. We also know Evans won’t be authorising too many signings and Paul Lambert will need to prioritise. We have the worst goal difference in the Championship, second worse goals scored only Bolton have scored fewer, and third worse conceded with only Millwall and Sheff Wed conceded more, the difference is both those teams have scored 9/10 goals more than we have.

Tighten defence and improve scoring options is what Paul Lambert needs to first, any additional midfield players will be an added luxury in my book.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:36 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:08 am
What’s dismissive about my comment Liz, even an idiot knows we’ve a surplus of midfield players albeit with a few injuries. We also know Evans won’t be authorising too many signings and Paul Lambert will need to prioritise. We have the worst goal difference in the Championship, second worse goals scored only Bolton have scored fewer, and third worse conceded with only Millwall and Sheff Wed conceded more, the difference is both those teams have scored 9/10 goals more than we have.

Tighten defence and improve scoring options is what Paul Lambert needs to first, any additional midfield players will be an added luxury in my book.
Totally agree, a central defender to replace Chambers who was at fault with the goal again, and a goal scorer. First priorities for me.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 am

Bring back Nydam and no need for CM....

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:48 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:57 pm

No thanks

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:11 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:36 am
Charnwood wrote:

Totally agree, a central defender to replace Chambers who was at fault with the goal again, and a goal scorer. First priorities for me.
You do Sharp an injustice with that comment . He’s one of the best players at losing his marker in the box.

Chambo also scored a perfectly good goal which was disallowed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:16 pm

Charnwood wrote:

You’ve totally dismissed my comment , again!

I said, “ just because the link isn’t about a striker, does not mean we are not looking at strikers,” because clearly we are!

It’s not about being linked with a midfielder...it’s the fact that you’ve interrepted that it’s ALL we are looking at.

Do you seriously believe Lambert hasn’t identified that we can’t score goals... and we can’t stop allowing easy crosses into the box as a priority? He has said these are the priority areas to address ffs!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 am

Suspect he could also do a bloody damn decent job at left back. No need then, to offer Knudsen a contract extension!
The useless tw*t that he is.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:28 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:

Suspect he could also do a bloody damn decent job at left back. No need then, to offer Knudsen a contract extension!
How you can lambast Knudsen but regale Chambers is totally beyond me. Chambers totally at fault for their goal, and not for the first time either.
Actually, 38 goals conceded in 23 games speaks volumes - they are both crap, but one is not more crap than the other. I hope that this banal chastisement of Knudsen but worship of Chambers is down to ignorance.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:42 am

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:12 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:28 am
hallamblue wrote:
AylesburyBlue wrote:

How you can lambast Knudsen but regale Chambers is totally beyond me. Chambers totally at fault for their goal, and not for the first time either.
Actually, 38 goals conceded in 23 games speaks volumes - they are both crap, but one is not more crap than the other. I hope that this banal chastisement of Knudsen but worship of Chambers is down to ignorance.

This team would be lost without Chambers leadership/ captain qualities. Yes he is coming to end of his playing regular career I think, but we can’t just drop him because there is no one else in the squad to replace is other qualities.

You only have to listen to the players (senior and youngsters) , manager(s) comments regarding Chambers input behind the scenes at the Club. Did you know Chambers and his wife have provided a home for 5 Academy players so they can settle into professional football away from their own homes?

Knudsen by comparison offer ZILCH. He “ jogs” back to our box after he’s lost possession for the umpteenth tine. Gives opponents all the space they like to cross the ball into out box time and time again, rarely , if ever , making any kind of challenge . Little wonder the CB’s and goalkeeper are under constant pressure to cover for his mistakes or lack of application. He really IS a shyte left back ( as is Spence a right back).

I have no doubt Chambers will be replaced in the not too distant future, because he is coming to the end of his career at this level. But I wonder who will be the Captain, he will not be easy to replace .

By comparison Knudsen SHOULD be in his prime , but flatters to deceive season after season
( IHMO). We can replace him now with Kenlock, or even Nydam ( not ideal but it’s possible) .

There is no hero whorship by me regarding Chambers. But I can see his his other qualities are vital to this Club and team right now . Sorry but I can’t see any of this in Knudsen!

Merry Christmas to you .

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:28 am
hallamblue wrote:
AylesburyBlue wrote:

Hi Rossi,

have edited your post, really don't think this has anything to do with someone's ancestery.

Merry Christmas Dave

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:13 am

Skuse was a huge loss for us. It's hard to know where to start with this squad. Personally I'd find some energetic fullbacks who can get up and down and put in a cross. We can squeeze play out wide and only have to defend half the pitch. If we regain possession we can build play on the same side using the fullback or switch to other for a counter.

It's not really that realistic to only go for fullbacks only, of course. Especially when we need also need a centreback and striker. And experienced midfield to cover for Skuse. But i'm an optimist and also love to see some recognisable pattern to our attacking approach.

With a decent pre-season ANY combination of recruits could make a significant impact. The problem is we are recruiting and developing a style of play at the hardest time of the season. The method to my madness would be to simplify things for the players, especially the younger ones and maximise our youthful energy whilst minimising how much size of the pitch we need to concern ourselves with. Also if play breaks down the effect is lessened since we have squeezed that side of the pitch.

Of course the opposition can switch the play, but thats where pre-season comes in. And developing these patterns of play you could call this a super long pre-season for 2020 for the youngsters which will stand us in good stead for the future.

At this time, I'm almost cutting my losses on spending/loaning my way out and just get investing in building a long term project of a team based on youngsters. We have some with great potential already, and have also lost some to bigger clubs. But with Klug doing great things with the youth development we should maximise off the pitch not just on it. As I think that is the true strength of this club right now.

Jury is still out on whether Lambert can match Klug but with all the chats he has had with previous managers he must know that that has always been our strength.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:19 am

Hate to say it, but I don’t think PL will have access to the sort of players we’ll need to get us out of this mess. We can always hope, but there really is a mountain of sh*t to climb thanks to Hurst. Wish I could be positive. We just don’t seem to be capable of getting any momentum. Fingers crossed for 2019! COYB!

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:26 pm

Agreed. Just a couple of consecutive wins and things could turn around quickly in terms of momentum and squad morale.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:11 am

Lamberts comment of this window being s “ long one” is worrying because it indicates that once again we cannot compete financially for players. We all know the Window is the worst time to try and do business as prices are inflated . This is why I think we’ve missed the boat for getting experience into the Club frankly .

IMO Lambert should have got in a couple of older heads from the “ unattached” list . Not ideal I know, but to wait until the Jan window and
“ hope” we are still in touch with the pack was a massive gamble. Especially when it’s onion that doing business in the window often ( with us anyway ), goes to the 12th hour and we nearly always “miss out” on our targets. I think this will happen again this window , or if it doesn’t we will have to play another 4-5 games before the window shuts. So when we’ve finally got our target(s) we will have fallen even further behind the pack to render their inclusion in the squad almost irrelevant in terms of our survival .
All very depressing tbh!

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 am

You from the future Hallam? Your post is timed in the future.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:55 am

We are still on Britsh summer time, shame we can't go back to July and start again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:10 pm

Lol :lol: wish I could see into the future, I’d know what Lotto numbers to use then!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:44 pm

:roll: I'll Bet that ME tells PL he has to sell before he can buy, and if that's the case, no one will attempt to buy the players Hurst brought in, so we are going to be well and truly F****d, BUT if we do get relegated the one good thing will be that ME will sell up as gates will crash to around 5000, and he cant sustain the club with that turnover, I just have this sneaky feeling Evans wont open his wallet like he promised, a leopard does not change its spots, so be prepared for seeing nothing happen early in the window, and it being too late in the window to get 3 or 4 good signings on board, I just hope I'm proved wrong in this case.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Of Course Evans isn't going to spend. What we'll get (if at all) is a handful of no-thrills loan players coming in that are surplus at their respective lower league club sides. Probably not even an actual permanent signing.

And what of the multitude of names we already got that have come in since the summer and accomplished next to nothing ? Few directors of other teams would be that interested (not that they were any real good to begin with).

Best scenario, Evans gets his head out his as*, puts some of that so called fortune he's got into this club, brings in some reliable names in key departments - not only to get us out this mess, but to build on next season from August and beyond - when Championship status has been preserved. Pity is you feel it's going to require substantial money to bring in additions that could free the club from the situation it's at, but as before Evans is a miserable f*ck who for whatever reason won't invest in the team to satisfactory levels.

"Sorry to intrude Mr Chairman, but we're in a bit of mess here and injection of money and some reliable additions are necessary otherwise we'll be playing outside the top two divisions for the first time since many can remember".

I won't get this time back.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:07 pm

He saw a potential bottom line profit of selling established players and replacing with inferior ones and a manager who was willing to try it even at the expense of his reputation being shattered into a million billion little tiny pieces.

I don't see the overall aim of making profit on 'players of potential' from the lower leagues changing in Evans's eyes, so I'm sure he will ask Lambert to only sell them if we recoup our cash invested. And that isn't gonna be possible. Cause it seems we may have overpaid to obtain them.

PL is blocked in the transfer market, although it did seem as if we were keeping some powder dry for a central defender as Marcus refused to spend 1m on that defender Hurst wanted.

I'd say PL has around 800k to spend in January. Unless there is a bargain to be had. Which there wont. It's January ffs.

Oh no, i'm losing it.

Well the one saving grace is that PL believes in and is willing to develop the youngsters as he recognised the potential straight away.

I think the likely/realistic scenario is that we could do away with several of our loans and PL may replace them with some desperate players who have 6months left of their contract who are wasting in reserve football for a long time, ie players with a point to prove but with experience that no one will touch. Slightly flawed but will do a job for at least a few weeks and help develop the youngsters.
Last edited by wilnisfan on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:08 pm

Well considering Lambert has already said its more likely to be loans its hardly a surprise is it.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm

In that case which loans will be finishing, as we have the maximum of 5 already.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:31 pm

wilnisfan wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm
In that case which loans will be finishing, as we have the maximum of 5 already.
I think you will find you can have as many loans as you like but can only play 5.⚽

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Let's be realistic. We are odds on certs for relegation. So
Who would want to come here on a permanent basis?
Why give someone a contract with Championship wages when they would almost certainly be in League 1 next year?

From ME's point of view, he does put money into the club as we make a loss every year. I'm sure he'd like to protect his investment by keeping us up and would spend if that would help. (He'll lose more by relegation than spending a million or 2 to stay up). But he must know that the chances of escape are close to nil, and it would be a waste of money trying to keep us up. Better to keep it yo build a league 1 side capable of promotion. I believe PL .can get us back up if we can keep him. I don't believe he has any chance of keeping us up this season.

Despite our shortcomings (which are evident all over the pitch) I believe we are trying to play better football than in the MM years. If that means league 1, so be it. Let's play at a level where we can compete and play attractive footy. If we don't have the budget for the championship, that's life. I don't blame ME. He is a businessman after all investing in a club that loses money. I think he bought it thinking he could make a quick killing - buy promotion yo the prem and glean the profits. It didn't turn out that way unfortunately.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:13 pm

wilnisfan wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm
That wasn't in reply to your excellent post by the way, it was in response to Ash's, I think Kerry is correct, you can have as many as you like but only Five in the matchday squad.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:58 pm
Let's be realistic. We are odds on certs for relegation. So
Who would want to come here on a permanent basis?
Why give someone a contract with Championship wages when they would almost certainly be in League 1 next year?

From ME's point of view, he does put money into the club as we make a loss every year. I'm sure he'd like to protect his investment by keeping us up and would spend if that would help. (He'll lose more by relegation than spending a million or 2 to stay up). But he must know that the chances of escape are close to nil, and it would be a waste of money trying to keep us up. Better to keep it yo build a league 1 side capable of promotion. I believe PL .can get us back up if we can keep him. I don't believe he has any chance of keeping us up this season.

Despite our shortcomings (which are evident all over the pitch) I believe we are trying to play better football than in the MM years. If that means league 1, so be it. Let's play at a level where we can compete and play attractive footy. If we don't have the budget for the championship, that's life. I don't blame ME. He is a businessman after all investing in a club that loses money. I think he bought it thinking he could make a quick killing - buy promotion yo the prem and glean the profits. It didn't turn out that way unfortunately.
Agree with that. I just hope we can hold on to PL. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if Klug takes the reigns. I know he's said he doesn't want it full time, but ME will most certainly begin cost cutting measures if we end up in League 1.