Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

And now for something different ......

Accrington Stanley Win
36%
Ipswich Town Win
43%
Replay
21%

Total votes: 14

Steve and Jo

Re: Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:34 pm
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... rs-will-go wow, about time it was said. :shock:

Totally spot on, Said what had to be said. Just for me this stupid transfer window has come to late. Hoping i'm wrong but i still say its not PL fault but that idiot before and of course our lovely owner

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:52 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:20 pm
Just as an aside, how did Elder look as a player?
Based on today I prefer Kenlock but it was Elder’s first game so to early to judge really.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:01 pm

It actually has nothing to do with who the manager is, it's down to a total lack of commitment from the players today, just not interested and didn't want to be out there!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Domhide wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm
JohnnyB, at least when the good times come back you will be able to proudly declare yourself a true SUPPORTER. anyone can support a winning team.
And what was your level of support ? Did you drag your arse up here to Accrington today? Doubt it very much

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Sometimes you just have to make an informed decision based on the teams effort.
Last season, after a midweek horror show v St Johnstone, I gave my following Saturday Pittodrie ticket to a buddy. Fk them. No effort from them, no effort from me. Was at Easter Rd the following Saturday though! 👌

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:14 pm

What’s making this slightly more painful...... the guy who does roof work for my company is an Accrington supporter. The texts have been amusing!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:30 pm

Lambert is scathing in his assessment of today's shambles, about time someone has the balls to say it.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... rs-will-go wow, about time it was said. :shock:

Totally spot on, Said what had to be said. Just for me this stupid transfer window has come to late. Hoping i'm wrong but i still say its not PL fault but that idiot before and of course our lovely owner
Transfer window is always a problem, the bigger problem is are ability to sign decent players.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm
The season just keeps on getting worse and worse.

Hurst was a disastrous appointment but, in all seriousness at this point, can we say there has been any improvement since PL has come in? There was an initial pick up in energy that always seems to happen when a club gets a new manager, but that has long since gone.

Trying to play a more attractive style of football is all very well but if the players aren't up to it then you need to cut your cloth to suit your measure. That's what McCarthy did and he kept us afloat for years. Without that pragmatism we are sinking like a stone. I hated the football we played then but I'd take it now if it meant we could survive this season. So depressed!

Okay but lets get few things straight. We are a League 1 stroke 2 team. Why blame PL? of course things arn't going to change drastically when previous manager brought in so many league one and league two players. We are where we are and what we are.

So lets all turn on PL and start shouting for his head shall we? You honestly think any manager would do better with players we have?

Paul Hurst was a disaster, not a clue, brought in average at best players from lower leagues hoping they will all suddenly improve to Championship standards. Seriously, maybe 2 or 3 but whole team full of them!!, Come on, you bring in this number then you become what you bring in. Too many and not enough quality.

Said when all wanted MM out the grass isn't always greener. If ME brought in PL instead of PH you honestly believe he would buy players PH did? NO, of course not, so sadly we will go down. If we stay up it'll be the biggest get out of jail card ever played but i'm not going to blame PL. We did not deserve to lose against Millwall, some of the ref's decisions were strange, wrong even appalling. Saying this still the defending was poor but its not the only game i feel hard done by but at end of day go back to main point. You play league one and league two players you become that standard.
Summed up well in my opinion. We now have the right manager at the wrong time. It was clear early on we have not replaced what we lost. The money we got from sales has not been spent well. We have just paid a large sum of money for a player Lambert does not want.

I do believe Lambert is the future and he can turn the club around but not this season. This season is dead in terms of staying up. But Lambert in not stupid he is right to have one eye on the future.

For those who have said for the last couple of years we need to play our youth instead of loans should now realise why MM did not.

These are the darkest days in the 40 years I have supported our club without doubt. Our race is run and we must plan for next year.

At least we won't get knocked out at round 3 next season

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 pm

If nothing else Ando, Happy Birthday mate!

So pleased the team made it a special one for you. :wink: :D :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Just read comments on a few forums reacting to Lamberts interview. Looks like there is serious division amongst the support regarding Lambert. Either that or it’s just tw@ts trolling the places. Quite a few wanting him out.

Weird how some say, “now the club is definitely relegated”....... it was a Cup game ya daft bstds.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm
The season just keeps on getting worse and worse.

Hurst was a disastrous appointment but, in all seriousness at this point, can we say there has been any improvement since PL has come in? There was an initial pick up in energy that always seems to happen when a club gets a new manager, but that has long since gone.

Trying to play a more attractive style of football is all very well but if the players aren't up to it then you need to cut your cloth to suit your measure. That's what McCarthy did and he kept us afloat for years. Without that pragmatism we are sinking like a stone. I hated the football we played then but I'd take it now if it meant we could survive this season. So depressed!

Okay but lets get few things straight. We are a League 1 stroke 2 team. Why blame PL? of course things arn't going to change drastically when previous manager brought in so many league one and league two players. We are where we are and what we are.

So lets all turn on PL and start shouting for his head shall we? You honestly think any manager would do better with players we have?

Paul Hurst was a disaster, not a clue, brought in average at best players from lower leagues hoping they will all suddenly improve to Championship standards. Seriously, maybe 2 or 3 but whole team full of them!!, Come on, you bring in this number then you become what you bring in. Too many and not enough quality.

Said when all wanted MM out the grass isn't always greener. If ME brought in PL instead of PH you honestly believe he would buy players PH did? NO, of course not, so sadly we will go down. If we stay up it'll be the biggest get out of jail card ever played but i'm not going to blame PL. We did not deserve to lose against Millwall, some of the ref's decisions were strange, wrong even appalling. Saying this still the defending was poor but its not the only game i feel hard done by but at end of day go back to main point. You play league one and league two players you become that standard.
Summed up well in my opinion. We now have the right manager at the wrong time. It was clear early on we have not replaced what we lost. The money we got from sales has not been spent well. We have just paid a large sum of money for a player Lambert does not want.

I do believe Lambert is the future and he can turn the club around but not this season. This season is dead in terms of staying up. But Lambert in not stupid he is right to have one eye on the future.

For those who have said for the last couple of years we need to play our youth instead of loans should now realise why MM did not.

These are the darkest days in the 40 years I have supported our club without doubt. Our race is run and we must plan for next year.

At least we won't get knocked out at round 3 next season

Happy Birthday Ando and you just got it spot on

Future now, OK lets go down fighting but down we shall go. Talking about 4 games turnaround. That's four we got to win to the next three above us to lose..

I am not a betting man and never intend to be but whats the odds on that happening?

Even so i do honestly believe in PL, just do not judge him on what we have this season. Not his making

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:53 pm

No disrespect to all those who traveled, but I’m really not bothered that we lost. This is not the season for a cup run anyway. What I do find interesting is PL’s comments about rebuilding this great football club. Could this be Lambert’s way of telling ME he’s here for the long haul, if wanted? PL will expect financial backing to some degree for the task at hand, and this is a sort of ultimatum to the owner. I suppose we’ll eventually find out if Lambert stays. I’m a bit saddened that some fans are turning on Lambert; he’s doesn’t have a lot to work with. If nothing else, I hope he identifies the shittiest players and gets rid of them.

Would I go back in time and wish for MM to stay? No I bloody wouldn’t! Would I go back in time and hope for a new owner? Absolutely!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Who are you calling a daft b*stard Marko?

Brave man calling people names on an Internet web site

This is the very reason hardly post in here.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:01 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 pm

I think if you re-read Marko's post Steve, you will see that it is a 'tongue and cheek' poke at the diff between a League fixture versus a Cup fixture.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:04 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm
Just read comments on a few forums reacting to Lamberts interview. Looks like there is serious division amongst the support regarding Lambert. Either that or it’s just tw@ts trolling the places. Quite a few wanting him out.

Weird how some say, “now the club is definitely relegated”....... it was a Cup game ya daft bstds.
Cup game or not. Everyone can see the issues the club faces. The team selected today is as good as anything we have and Lambert has to work with. The squad is just not good enough pure and simple and today was another examplE.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm

Thanks for your birthday wishes

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:04 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Cup game or not. Everyone can see the issues the club faces. The team selected today is as good as anything we have and Lambert has to work with. The squad is just not good enough pure and simple and today was another examplE.

You know the think that worries me most Ando? The fact we will be 80-90 million in debt in League 1 ……………, I kinda worry whether ME may let the club slide into Administration to cut his losses.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:11 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Lighten up, Francis.

It was aimed at the comments board on the Twtd machine. A couple said, quote; “that’s us now definitely relegated”...... Cup game.

Daft bstds.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:31 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

Transfer window is always a problem, the bigger problem is are ability to sign decent players.

The biggest problem is Marcus Evans!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm

We have to show total trust in Lambert, it is the only hope we have.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm

Saw what was coming ahead of time and wasn't disappointed. Beaten by a club side who's biggest recognition is a f**king milk commercial, it shouldn't require much further comment.

Still, say again at least of an age to have experienced a Town FA Cup victory, not only that (have) been in attendance at four other Final events, been involved a damn lot more than others could ever claim but that doesn't excuse today's / this seasons annual non-event.

Read through a selection of replies and seems the players didn't care much for progress out there today. We were never going to win the damn thing that much is granted but would have provide some morale to be involved in subsequent rounds. As it is all we got remaining is a fight against a very real threat of relegation in the weeks ahead. Haven't seen highlights of the game or bothered to catch Lambert's post-game response as in truth there doesn't appear very much (else) to take from this issue.

As others will allude to Lambert is far from culpable for this entire sorry-as* situation, namely the players we possess are nowhere near good enough or there's a collective philosophy of why bother / we're a sub-standard team and content to be so. Will take a look in on TWTD when time permits itself to see what they have to say but in truth you kind of know what's presented without even taking the time to ascertain collective response.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm
Happy Birthday my Capricorn friend, I hope you had fewer candles on you cake than I had yesterday. 🎉👍🍺

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm
Totally agree 100% . He’s the only quality thing about this club at the moment

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:45 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 pm
I just hope Lambert & Evans don't fall out. In spite of recent results I still fully back Lambert to do what is best for the club.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 am
Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm
Happy Birthday my Capricorn friend, I hope you had fewer candles on you cake than I had yesterday. 🎉👍🍺
Happy belated birthday Charnwood.

49 candles for me, I am afraid it appears there will be a few more to blow out before we see our belovered club restore some pride. Supported the club since 77 and these are dark times. I live in Lowestoft a mixed Footie town where even the fecking budgies have now stopped taking the pee.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:33 am

I knew things were bad but I honestly did not think we could sink much lower, yesterday proved me wrong. I thought we would at least try to give us fans something to grasp onto this torrid season by way of a mini interest in the FA Cup, at least the excitement of the Fourth Round draw perhaps, but no, another inept, couldn't give a sh*t attempt by the players saw us go out with a whimper to lower league opposition yet again at a time when they really needed to at least do something to keep the fans onside a bit longer. The promise by Paul Lambert that he would take it seriously and field as strong a team as possible was met with seven changes and players in form being rested, hmmmmm. The atmosphere in The Crown pub prior to the game was fantastic, heaving with Town fans the singing brought back memories of happier days gone by with some of the oldies raising the roof and getting us all in the mood for what was to follow.

The game kicked off and I think it was virtually a good Five or Six minutes before we got into their half, a hesitant looking Town struggling to pick a pass or a move of any note as Accrington came out the better of the Two sides. One or Two early balls into our box being dealt with, albeit unconvincingly. Town were huffing and puffing in an attempt to get on the front foot but it was breaking down all too often with wayward passes or wasted delivery at the crucial time. The first effort on target from either team saw Bart getting down to smother a shot and not long after the Pole was called upon again to repeat the feat. Town really were not at the races and were finding it hard to contain Clark who was showing up well and was at the centre of most things.

For Town Flynn Downes was looking the brightest in a Blue shirt and his efforts were bordering on the aggressive side at times which resulted in a Yellow card for an alterercation with an Accrington player but at least he was getting stuck in, Nsiala had done a couple of good things at the back when called upon but the rest were looking very much like they didn't want to be there, new boy Callum Elder had seen a fair bit of the ball but there was little to get enthused about at this early stage. Town were having a half chance or Two as the game neared HT but they were woefully wild and not threatening the goal at all, at least any chance the home side carved out was testing Bart in the Town goal. Downes was very lucky not to have seen Red earlier but continued to at least put it about, Dozzell & Nolan in the centre had been anonymous while Edwards wide Right and Sears on the left looked lost at times. Spence had started the game ok but the longer it went on the more likely he looked to make a rick of it. We did finally have a Sears effort just before HT which required the home keeper to get his gloves dirty but it was as limp a effort as you will see. Over all the first half had seen Accrington look much the better side, more up for it, tested our keeper Three times and moved the ball around as if they were the Championship side, it really had to improve from Town's point of view.

The second half started a bit better for Town as Sub Teddy Bishop tried to grasp control and take the game to the home team, an early effort drifting high and wide but he at least showed some energy where others had failed to do so. Town were still finding it hard to carve out anything of note but had at least looked a bit more interested since the restart and the defence did not look quite so all at sea. It continued to be the Bishop show as he was now running the game in the centre and was involved in pretty much everything, in fact he was close to giving us an undeserved lead only to see his effort sail wide. Jon Nolan then drew a save for their keeper with an effort from distance as Town finally looked to have the upper hand for a few minutes.

Typically just as we look like we may at least hold on if not win it we gift them a goal by virtue of a free header, a simple freekick was delivered to our far post where it was nodded back into the danger zone by a Red shirt where Kee was on hand to place it untroubled into the empty net, unbelievably simple and pretty much as we all expect these days. With realisation setting in that we were facing another embarrassing exit Bishop tried all he could to rectify things, this time a good run and pass setting up Sears who somehow contrived to miss an absolute sitter yet again, this time the keeper being allowed to get something on it to send it an inch or two wide of the post when it should have been put away all day long, Two sitters missed against Millwall and another today, don't really need to say anymore. The final seconds petered out with little serious action as Town rolled over and died in the FA Cup once again.

By and large I think the players can be ashamed of themselves for this one, normally we know they give their all, even when we get well beaten, can we say that about yesterday ? I am not sure too many of them can to be honest, it was like they were thinking "what the hell are we doing playing at a place like this", well they best get used to it because anyone playing for Ipswich Town from next season will be playing at the likes of Accrington for many a good season unless we get our sh*t together, and with that in mind Paul Lambert's post match comments are so so true, some are not good enough and need to go, I would say a fair few now if I am honest, it's a massive rebuild that is needed, where the hell do you start. I actually vented my frustration at the players as they left the field yesterday. walking out you could pretty much touch them and I just shouted out that the least I and the rest of the fans deserve is for them to show the same bloody level of commitment as we show week after week, Two or Three definitely heard it and I am glad.

Bart....(6) Did most things ok and One save was very good, no chance with goal, not liking the body language though.

Spence....(5) Started ok, winning a few headers etc but fell away the longer the game wore on, how can he be the best option ?

Pennington...(5) Not his finest day, all at sea at times, some dodgy clearances.

Nsiala....(6) One of the brighter performers, not the prettiest but blocked a fair few through balls.

Elder....(5) New boy failed to shine but not alone there, need to see more but no better than Kenlock on that showing.

Nolan....(5) Back at his level and still looks iffy, one to be moved on.

Downes...(6) Gave it his all and at least tried to get stuck in, needs to reign it in a bit at times.

Dozzell....(5) Once lauded over as a great new star, now just a fading player that looks totally like he wants away, it won't be long.

Edwards....(4) What a change from the early weeks, a bit of a liability, another that must be offloaded.

Sears....(5) Missed another sitter which is the story of his career, time to ship him out i'm afraid.

Jackson...(4) Back at his old stomping ground, they must be laughing their heads off at the money we wasted.

SUBS :-

Bishop....(8) Back to his best, tried with all his might to turn it around, some lovely runs and passes. MOTM

Keane....(5) Little time to shine and hard to gauge him on this effort, hardly saw the ball and I hardly saw him.

Harrison...(5) Should have started after his performance last time out, only on for a few minutes when the game was all but lost.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Spot on with your summary Mike.
TBH I was so pissed off with the players at the end of the game I couldn't be bothered to waste my energy giving them verbals so just walked out in silence and ignored them.
You don't have to be a football expert to see that the majority of them just aren't good enough but that can never be an excuse for the attitude shown yesterday. Really thinking twice about making the trip to Carrow Road in February as the way things are at the moment can see it turning into a total humiliation there.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:39 pm

I forgot to say how the hell some of our fans can still clap the players coming off the pitch after the game when they have shown that attitude is beyond me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:53 pm

I've clapped them off in some pretty testing times I can tell you but yesterday I just couldn't, I thought we were a bit of a disgrace, something Paul Lambert clearly concurs with.