Ipswich Town Vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really Really Need 3 Points Huh??

Town Win
60%
Wednesday Win
20%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 15

Blue Wilf

Re: Ipswich Town Vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Well Aylesbury Blue, I have to thank you becasue on a day when I don't feel like being happy, your post made me laugh out loud 😂👍

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 pm

The other comment that made me laugh was the guy on Radio Suffolk who lamented (accurately) that Quaner couldn't win a header on a step ladder 😂

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:10 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm
I’m off out too......
Not sure “pub” was the wisest of choices. The Leeds game is on and there is no access to a tv remote controller.
Turn the tv off with a pint glass, empty of course being scottish and all that :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:28 pm
The other comment that made me laugh was the guy on Radio Suffolk who lamented (accurately) that Quaner couldn't win a header on a step ladder 😂
He's not good aerially but he's still a decent addition.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Didn't bother with the game, was busy with other endeavors, seems there wasn't much to miss. The 4 - 3 idea was something to regret, should of realized ahead of time what was coming. Haven't seen game "highlights", by all accounts we got f*cked in the closing moments and the opposition were good value for it if statistics are correct.

Tired of the obligatory 'In Lambert we trust / allow it time' garbage. What is it three wins in thirty games - and none of those were hardly of St Etienne standard - we've brought in an influx of new names, all of which are mostly obscure and nowhere near good enough to assist the situation. If Lambert was of any value we'd be far removed from the position we find ourselves but many insist in giving plaudits and recognition irrespective of one sh*t score and performance after another.

Tired of mentioning the pr*ck but Marcus Evans will remain the root cause of the clubs problems. No substantial spending, a collection of tried an ultimately failing managerial names and apart from the (very) random event of speaking out on team issues, it never really benefits the club in any way. League One, and as much as I don't want to be part of it, at least offers something different after 17 or 18 years of Championship mediocrity. Biggest concern is, how long will it feasibly take to make it back to the second level. With the utilities we possess it could take far longer than many may realize or even envisage.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:27 am

saint jude wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:58 pm
If Lambert was of any value we'd be far removed from the position we find ourselves........
You may be correct, (utter bollocks in my opinion). Jesus Christ himself would’ve found it tough working under Mevans’ guidelines last summer / August window, and Hurst was no Messiah. The damage was significant.
But hopefully Lambert is still in charge when the inevitable L1 season starts.

Can’t think of anyone else apart from maybe Neil Warnock (should he become available for whatever reason) who might be able to do a job for Ipswich Town FC.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 am

I can't wait for this season to be over, its just horrible watching us fall lower and lower as each week passes us by. In terms of league position we can get no lower however games like yesterday just see the club get kicked again and again, the players don't believe they can do it and let's be honest they probably can't, they just aren't good enough. We don't have the quality to produce chances, we could have played for another 90 mins yesterday and probably only managed another couple of shots. I was glad to see Quaner start but I thought he was crap, for a big guy he's not a lone striker at all, he doesn't hold the ball up, he can't win headers and he doenst bring others in to play, he looks to run in behind.

I'm going to Norwich next week but I have to say I'm dreading it as I think we could be in for a hiding. One thing I will be doing though is holding my head high and singing throughout whatever happens. I know we are a million miles from Norwich at the moment but sometimes you have to be there for the hard times to really appreciate the good. So even if we lose 3 or 4-0 we as fans just have to stay class and show our support for our club (if not necessarily the current team). We have a huge rebuilding job in the summer, our team will look nothing like this. I'm not sure where to start with it but I hope PL does.

I get why some are questioning PL a bit however who could do anything with that squad. You can point to players PL has bought in but when your cut so far adrift at the bottom of the table it's hard getting anyone decent in, he's looked for players that could potentially do a job in league 1. People were moaning we didn't stump up the cash for Gestede, he turned milwall down so do you think he would have come to us? I didn't want PL but I will cut him some slack as we will only see what he's made of next season. Let's remember this job is very important for him to prove he's still got it as a manager so I think his hunger is there and he will see us a club that needs rebuilding top to bottom, that may be a good thing in time. Right now it's just hard to watch, we are a lost cause this season so the sooner it ends the better. I can only see another 1 or 2 wins this season to be honest.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:03 am

charlton837 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 am
I can't wait for this season to be over, its just horrible watching us fall lower and lower as each week passes us by. In terms of league position we can get no lower however games like yesterday just see the club get kicked again and again, the players don't believe they can do it and let's be honest they probably can't, they just aren't good enough. We don't have the quality to produce chances, we could have played for another 90 mins yesterday and probably only managed another couple of shots. I was glad to see Quaner start but I thought he was crap, for a big guy he's not a lone striker at all, he doesn't hold the ball up, he can't win headers and he doenst bring others in to play, he looks to run in behind.

I'm going to Norwich next week but I have to say I'm dreading it as I think we could be in for a hiding. One thing I will be doing though is holding my head high and singing throughout whatever happens. I know we are a million miles from Norwich at the moment but sometimes you have to be there for the hard times to really appreciate the good. So even if we lose 3 or 4-0 we as fans just have to stay class and show our support for our club (if not necessarily the current team). We have a huge rebuilding job in the summer, our team will look nothing like this. I'm not sure where to start with it but I hope PL does.

I get why some are questioning PL a bit however who could do anything with that squad. You can point to players PL has bought in but when your cut so far adrift at the bottom of the table it's hard getting anyone decent in, he's looked for players that could potentially do a job in league 1. People were moaning we didn't stump up the cash for Gestede, he turned milwall down so do you think he would have come to us? I didn't want PL but I will cut him some slack as we will only see what he's made of next season. Let's remember this job is very important for him to prove he's still got it as a manager so I think his hunger is there and he will see us a club that needs rebuilding top to bottom, that may be a good thing in time. Right now it's just hard to watch, we are a lost cause this season so the sooner it ends the better. I can only see another 1 or 2 wins this season to be honest.

Can't say it any better for this is exactly how i feel and see things at the moment.

To all who go next weekend you have my utter and deepest respect, be safe and sing your hearts out

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 am

The big question now who will be here for league 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

charlton837 wrote:

Spot on Charlton, can't argue with any of it at this moment in time, it just gets sadder and sadder each passing week, I could not even be arsed to write a report such was my mood last night. As for Lambert I want to make one thing clear, I am behind him 100% and believe he is the right man to rebuild this club from top to bottom, he has already started with the hardest part of all and that is bringing the club and fans back together again, the one's that matter know he has one hell of a job on his hands, he has tried to solve things with a quick fix as he had no other option at this moment in time, the real work starts in May when relegation is official, on the pitch nothing has changed under Lambert at all, do we even look that much better to watch ? In fits and starts maybe but as for creating chances, no we don't, Hurst's stats stack up well in that regard and that is saying something.

Like you I too will be there next week singing my heart out as I always do, praying for a miracle while dreading a disaster but like you so correctly point out, you have to suffer the bad times to really appreciate the good, I don't care if it is Norwich or Wigan or Bristol City on a Tuesday when the game is on Sky, I will be there, Ipswich Til I Die and all that.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Well it really is depressing isn’t it?

League 1 it is and I too believe PL is the man to organise a root and branch restructure. With an emphasis on youthful flair and the retention of a few wise old heads like Chambo, Skuse, Collins and Sears to protect them we’ll have a team playing exciting football in that division and hopefully winning more often than not.

As a Brighton resident I guess I’ll be looking at trips to Portsmouth, Charlton (familiar), Oxford, maybe Reading, Wycombe and Gillingham for my live football trips. Weird but there’s no way I’ll ever give up on following Town.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:53 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:09 pm
Well it really is depressing isn’t it?

League 1 it is and I too believe PL is the man to organise a root and branch restructure. With an emphasis on youthful flair and the retention of a few wise old heads like Chambo, Skuse, Collins and Sears to protect them we’ll have a team playing exciting football in that division and hopefully winning more often than not.

As a Brighton resident I guess I’ll be looking at trips to Portsmouth, Charlton (familiar), Oxford, maybe Reading, Wycombe and Gillingham for my live football trips. Weird but there’s no way I’ll ever give up on following Town.
I wouldn't bank on all of them staying - some of them will jump ship as Mr Skuse did when Bristol were relegated a few years back

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:29 pm

[quote=rossi post_id=953646 time=1549194783 user_id

I wouldn't bank on all of them staying - some of them will jump ship as Mr Skuse did when Bristol were relegated a few years back
[/quote]

Fair point. If some think they’re too good for the club then I guess they’ll move on. I’m not sure how appealing they’ll be to potential buyers though. Look at the apparent absolute zero interest in Knudsen. I think Chambo at least will stay, maybe to take first steps into management.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:30 pm

And that’s how not to post a reply with a quote!

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:06 pm

I was at Portman Road yesterday and we really were no threat at any time going forward. I like Quarner but as a lone striker he is useless. The pluses for me yesterday (not many) were Bishop until he ran out of steam and the patched up defence, in particular Nsiala who despite some misplaced passes put his body on the line, and defended well. Pennington was his usual pretty reliable self and although there were a few moments of panic in the first half, Bart didn't have many saves to make. Bree looks like he could be a positive addition but I'm afraid "one of our own" Kenlock reminded me of a headless chicken , ie he was useless and a lot to do with their 90th minute goal, giving their winger much too much room and then letting him waltz into the penalty area to eventually supply the cross for their tap in.He is definitely not one for the future in my opinion. I'd like to see Emmanuel given a run in the side but I expect ,if Collins and Chambers are both fit next week it'll be Pennington at left back which will be hard on Nsiala.
I won't be at Carrow Road next week as a midday start in Norwich is too much for me driving from West London and with the game on Sky.I don't think it'll be a hiding although I'll be amazed if Norwich don't win, but football is a funny game and PL will make sure the players are up for this one and who knows...miracles do sometimes happen.
I'm an optimist by nature but am resigned to us being in League One next season and in a funny sort of way am quite looking forward to new grounds to visit and hopefully a promotion charge. Lambert does have form getting promotions from League 1 (and straight through to the Premier League).One can only dream!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:17 pm

The only difference BRanger was Delia was standing next to him with an open purse like he was asking for money for sweeties.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:22 pm

Agree with your views in the players, Bishop, Nsiala and Pennington were indeed the stand out performers, Kenlock had a poor game, Quaner too was not like last week but I still like him, Keane looked ok when he came on, not at all sure about Bree after yesterday but early days, he started really shaky but improved slightly.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Well here's hoping Marko that if PL can get us straight back into the Championship ME will prove that he has a much bigger one than Delia (open purse that is).

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:52 pm

I agree Blue I've that Bree's start was shaky but he was playing with a very thrown together defence but I thought he at least looked like a proper right back and will get better. I'd like to see more of Ellis Harrison with Quarner and Sears playing off him. I do think he is a natural finisher but has to be given a run in the side.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Sorry should has read Bluemike

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Caption Comp : Alan Brazil shows current town players how to control the ball ....

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:55 pm

RRanger wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:06 pm
I was at Portman Road yesterday and we really were no threat at any time going forward. I like Quarner but as a lone striker he is useless. The pluses for me yesterday (not many) were Bishop until he ran out of steam and the patched up defence, in particular Nsiala who despite some misplaced passes put his body on the line, and defended well. Pennington was his usual pretty reliable self and although there were a few moments of panic in the first half, Bart didn't have many saves to make. Bree looks like he could be a positive addition but I'm afraid "one of our own" Kenlock reminded me of a headless chicken , ie he was useless and a lot to do with their 90th minute goal, giving their winger much too much room and then letting him waltz into the penalty area to eventually supply the cross for their tap in.He is definitely not one for the future in my opinion. I'd like to see Emmanuel given a run in the side but I expect ,if Collins and Chambers are both fit next week it'll be Pennington at left back which will be hard on Nsiala.
I won't be at Carrow Road next week as a midday start in Norwich is too much for me driving from West London and with the game on Sky.I don't think it'll be a hiding although I'll be amazed if Norwich don't win, but football is a funny game and PL will make sure the players are up for this one and who knows...miracles do sometimes happen.
I'm an optimist by nature but am resigned to us being in League One next season and in a funny sort of way am quite looking forward to new grounds to visit and hopefully a promotion charge. Lambert does have form getting promotions from League 1 (and straight through to the Premier League).One can only dream!!
If Norwich play to forum they'll give this current Ipswich team a hiding. Norwich at the moment are a quality outfit. Ipswich are a shambles.

As to looking forward to League One I very much doubt it. I think with current owner and the current momentum at the club I think Ipswich have a huge amount of work to do to get out of League One. Also wouldn't bank on Lambert doing a Norwich again. I am also not 100% certain that Lambert will be in charge next season even though he has said he will stay. Lambert will want to completely overhaul how the club is currently run and that could be an interesting conversation and outcome ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:18 pm

I hope we injure a few important canaries, so maybe their form will drop and as a result they fall out of the automatic promotion spots. That'll suit me fine...better than winning! :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 am

Even if that was meant humourously, i find the sentiment objectionable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:40 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:54 am
Even if that was meant humourously, i find the sentiment objectionable.

I agree with you entirely Massey, i’m all for local rivalry but not at any cost and fair play to Norwich for doing well especially after that win at Leeds on Friday Night. I hope we don’t let ourselves down on Sunday, I’m not expecting us to win but I hope the game is played in good spirit both on and off the pitch.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am
charlton837 wrote:

Spot on Charlton, can't argue with any of it at this moment in time, it just gets sadder and sadder each passing week, I could not even be arsed to write a report such was my mood last night. As for Lambert I want to make one thing clear, I am behind him 100% and believe he is the right man to rebuild this club from top to bottom, he has already started with the hardest part of all and that is bringing the club and fans back together again, the one's that matter know he has one hell of a job on his hands, he has tried to solve things with a quick fix as he had no other option at this moment in time, the real work starts in May when relegation is official, on the pitch nothing has changed under Lambert at all, do we even look that much better to watch ? In fits and starts maybe but as for creating chances, no we don't, Hurst's stats stack up well in that regard and that is saying something.

Like you I too will be there next week singing my heart out as I always do, praying for a miracle while dreading a disaster but like you so correctly point out, you have to suffer the bad times to really appreciate the good, I don't care if it is Norwich or Wigan or Bristol City on a Tuesday when the game is on Sky, I will be there, Ipswich Til I Die and all that.

How are you getting to Norwich on Sunday? Are going getting the train? Due to all the restrictions this year I am going on my own and then meeting my mate in Norwich (he lives in Bury so is driving). So if you, or anyone else on here for that matter, are getting the train perhaps could travel up together. Maybe even meet for a beer beforehand...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Because of all the nonsense I booked on the bloody coach mate or i would have done.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Some people have great sense of humours on this forum, others don’t! :lol:

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 pm
At 3 o’clock every Saturday I’m going to strip off, dip my nuts in gravy and tease some dogs at the local dog park. Having them ripped to pieces would be more enjoyable than this pathetic excuse of a season.

Look at it from a favourable point you will only get your nuts torn off once. Much better than watching Ipswich undo themselves each week.