East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we salvage something from the season?

Budgies Win
71%
Town Win
11%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 28

Magicmark

Re: East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Magicmark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am

I've lived in Norfolk for most of my life,watched the game with loads of Budgies & my brother is a Yellow,love the banter,never had any problems with it.Have supported Ipswich since the glory days in the 70s wont be changing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am

charlton837 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am
I don't get what the fuss is about, OK so PL lost it a bit but like Mike said who the hell knows what was really said. Farkes wink says it all, they were on the wind up, perhaps you could argue they won that battle and PL should have restrained himself a bit but you know what, we need that passion and I personally don't have an issue with what happened. Its nothing like the Cantona kick, this was all on the pitch/touchline, its not kicking/abusing the general public is it. What do we want to see? A derby with literally no passion, just drifting a long at a nice pace with the odd bit of nice play to cheer?

Lets remember what this derby was, they are top, we are rock bottom of the league, if we are honest we had little chance of winning this but if your going to go down do so with some heart, passion and desire, I thought we showed all of the right characteristics yesterday even if some of it was on the edge. The players should be hurting and im sure most are. I thought we competed well for much of that game but ultimately when we went 2-0 down we were all at sea, that's the story of our season. We look good in patches without really creating much of note, then concede with a soft goal. We have to sort this out for next season. I would have liked to have seen an improvement in this respect with PL here by now but im willing to give him a pre season and summer transfer window to show us what he can do, he hasn't had this chance for a long time now. I don't see any value in changing the manager for next season, I think that would be a ludicrous decision but I know some disagree with that.

I know quite a few would like to see our young players in there to give them some experience, in a way I would prefer that too but what if that experience continues to be getting well beaten week in week out and falling out of the Championship with one of the record low points tally. Would that be good experience? I think PL is protecting them a bit but I do think he is planning on building his team next year round the likes of Bishop, Lankester, maybe players the Woolfenden too perhaps. I think he believes in it but is also conscious that this is not an easy situation. I heard Mick Mills saying his fear is if we don't pick up a couple of wins very soon we are going to be at the point where perhaps subconsciously the players and club lose hope altogether and we may see a drop in performance level, I think that too, we see it in games. For example yesterday we competed well without looking like scoring, we then concede the 2nd and could have fallen to pieces, its happened a lot this season. We have to fight for as long as we can and just get to the end of this dreadful season. We may have lost 3-0 yesterday and its a heavy derby defeat but I was proud to be blue, I do harbor some hope for next season although I totally agree its not going to be easy.

Did anyone else thing the atmosphere yesterday from the home end was terrible? If we were top of the league and beating Norwich at home who were bottom I think PR would be bouncing
Top post as usual, Charlton ...... agree with all of it (apart from one minor part) and great to read the “proud to be a blue” comments.

The only part I slightly disagree with is not looking like scoring. I personally thought Ipswich did look like scoring on a few occasions and had the heads not slumped after the 2nd goal, I think Judge or Keane may have bagged at least a goal. All hypothetical though.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 am
charlton837 wrote:
I don't get what the fuss is about, OK so PL lost it a bit but like Mike said who the hell knows what was really said. Farkes wink says it all, they were on the wind up, perhaps you could argue they won that battle and PL should have restrained himself a bit but you know what, we need that passion and I personally don't have an issue with what happened. Its nothing like the Cantona kick, this was all on the pitch/touchline, its not kicking/abusing the general public is it. What do we want to see? A derby with literally no passion, just drifting a long at a nice pace with the odd bit of nice play to cheer?

Lets remember what this derby was, they are top, we are rock bottom of the league, if we are honest we had little chance of winning this but if your going to go down do so with some heart, passion and desire, I thought we showed all of the right characteristics yesterday even if some of it was on the edge. The players should be hurting and im sure most are. I thought we competed well for much of that game but ultimately when we went 2-0 down we were all at sea, that's the story of our season. We look good in patches without really creating much of note, then concede with a soft goal. We have to sort this out for next season. I would have liked to have seen an improvement in this respect with PL here by now but im willing to give him a pre season and summer transfer window to show us what he can do, he hasn't had this chance for a long time now. I don't see any value in changing the manager for next season, I think that would be a ludicrous decision but I know some disagree with that.

I know quite a few would like to see our young players in there to give them some experience, in a way I would prefer that too but what if that experience continues to be getting well beaten week in week out and falling out of the Championship with one of the record low points tally. Would that be good experience? I think PL is protecting them a bit but I do think he is planning on building his team next year round the likes of Bishop, Lankester, maybe players the Woolfenden too perhaps. I think he believes in it but is also conscious that this is not an easy situation. I heard Mick Mills saying his fear is if we don't pick up a couple of wins very soon we are going to be at the point where perhaps subconsciously the players and club lose hope altogether and we may see a drop in performance level, I think that too, we see it in games. For example yesterday we competed well without looking like scoring, we then concede the 2nd and could have fallen to pieces, its happened a lot this season. We have to fight for as long as we can and just get to the end of this dreadful season. We may have lost 3-0 yesterday and its a heavy derby defeat but I was proud to be blue, I do harbor some hope for next season although I totally agree its not going to be easy.

Did anyone else thing the atmosphere yesterday from the home end was terrible? If we were top of the league and beating Norwich at home who were bottom I think PR would be bouncing
Top post as usual, Charlton ...... agree with all of it (apart from one minor part) and great to read the “proud to be a blue” comments.

The only part I slightly disagree with is not looking like scoring. I personally thought Ipswich did look like scoring on a few occasions and had the heads not slumped after the 2nd goal, I think Judge or Keane may have bagged at least a goal. All hypothetical though.
Thanks Marko!

I think what I meant by that was I don't remember their goalkeeper making any saves in the game at all, certainly nothing that required anything more than just collecting the ball. And whilst we look OK up to the last third in too many games this season we have lacked any cutting edge, 1 goal away from home since Reading in November probably illustrates our problem, that and conceding at least 2 a game!

Plenty of work to do over the summer although that work should start now with next season in mind

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am

Magicmark wrote:
I've lived in Norfolk for most of my life,watched the game with loads of Budgies & my brother is a Yellow,love the banter,never had any problems with it.Have supported Ipswich since the glory days in the 70s wont be changing.
My wee cousin married a guy who is an identical twin. His twin and ALL his family are Jambos....... Craig decided they were all tw@ts at 8 years old and decided to be a Hibs fan. :lol: Loved that story when I heard it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:48 am

charlton837 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am
marko69 wrote:
charlton837 wrote:

Thanks Marko!

I think what I meant by that was I don't remember their goalkeeper making any saves in the game at all, certainly nothing that required anything more than just collecting the ball. And whilst we look OK up to the last third in too many games this season we have lacked any cutting edge, 1 goal away from home since Reading in November probably illustrates our problem, that and conceding at least 2 a game!

Plenty of work to do over the summer although that work should start now with next season in mind
Yep that’s true about no saves from the Norwich keeper. And when Daniel Farke was being interviewed he said, “you know, I can’t remember my keeper making a save.” ..... and yes, I totally agree that the shots obviously must be on target etc, but there were a few close shots wide where the keeper didn’t have things covered. I suppose I’m clutching at straws here though! :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 am
Oh my God, Steve & Jo!! :lol: Your Dad is a Norwich season ticket holder?? Did you choose to support Ipswich?

Holy absolute Shyte, if my youngest son walked in wearing a Hearts shirt, I think I’d bawl my eyes out for a year!!
“Why God? Where did I go so mammothly wrong?!” :lol:

I was actually born in Norwich to a total Norwich City fans based family other than my brother. We both went with our cousins to Carrow Road and never once witness Norwich winning in the 1971/72 season. I detest the colour yellow and can't stand green, not good when you are 5 or 6 years old. My uncle married a lady who happens to be related in some way to the Cobbold's family. My brother and myself went with her to Ipswich, sat with people in suits and witnessed very happily Ipswich beat Birmingham 2-0. Became hooked ever since along with my brother. I have a cousin also who also is an Ipswich fan

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Bloody hell that is in all probability the very first game I went to also, we beat Birmingham 2-0 and I believe Johnny Miller got them both ???

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Can just imagine that conversation:

Steve’s Dad: Where are the boys?
Steve’s mum: Theyre away to Ipswich with your brothers wife.
Steve’s Dad: hahahahaha, yeah ok. Where are they? In their room?
Steve’s mum: Theyre at the Ipswich Birmingham game with your brothers wife.
Steve’s Dad: YER FKN JOKIN EH?

:lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm
Bloody hell that is in all probability the very first game I went to also, we beat Birmingham 2-0 and I believe Johnny Miller got them both ???
I can't remember the scorer Mike but yes it was start of season like around the 20th August. I remember the season also for we did the double over Manchester United. The game before the Birmingham one we also lost to Norwich.. Some things don't change... :(

Marko my wife is also a Norwich City fan, up until couple of seasons ago she also was a season ticket holder there but she's not a Norfolk girl. Born in Essex.
I'm a believer in things go around come around. I'll always support Town but we will go down, that's not being negative just realistic and in someways for the long term it might be the kick up the arse Ipswich needs.. I do like PL, lets give him a chance

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:48 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm
What a good signing Alan Judge is.
now what on earth makes you say that?

What makes you think he isn’t ?..... my guess is it’s because you wrongly think he’s here on loan and nothing more than that. He’s played four games for us, settled in quickly, is highly influential in games, strikes the ball well, takes corners better than any other player we have, and certainly doesn’t drop his head when players around him are struggling. If/when we get relegated, if he stays next season he could well be one of our most important players.
I'm afraid you're really not a very good guesser then. The games I've seen him play for us, his dead-ball kicking has been woeful and his distribution poor.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:35 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:06 am
Spot on Ando, couldn't agree more, everyone did the club proud today, people seem to have opinions on Lambert's reaction but no bugger knows what was actually said in those dugouts for it to kick off and yet some know it all as usual.
Doesn't matter what was said, Mike. That kind of opinion supports the kung-fu kick by Eric Cantona of a fan that called him a b@stard and other similar happenings over the years - players and managers are paid huge amounts of money, should be prepared to accept the cons of being in the public eyes as well as the benefits, and ought to be able to control themselves better. PL's behaviour yesterday - as manager and talisman of this club - was nothing short of disgraceful.
Gary it does matter what was said, very much so, I love the fact we have a manager who stands up for his players, 1) I expect you prefer the silent MM approach ? 2)It has absolutely nothing in common with the Cantona thing at all, ridiculous to compare the Two.

3)I don't get why for some weeks now you seem to be reveling in the fact things are going wrong, it makes no sense to me, I as Town fan am hurting in so many ways and hate what is going on but I certainly take no pleasure from the situation as a few seem to do because it may or may not justify their thoughts prior to them coming to pass, don't get that at all.
1) No of course I don't - I want to see fire and passion as much as the next fan, but the place for that is on the pitch. In full view of the tv cameras, you had one out-of-control hothead trying to get at people on the opposing bench, and one cool manager just standing aside. It's no surprise one team is doing well and the other so poorly.

2) Cantona reacted to an insult, so did PL (apparently). How do they have nothing in common? To say it's ridiculous to compare the 2 is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

3) In what way have I been revelling things going wrong with the club - all I have done is to give an opinion. I'm certainly not happy with what is going on at the club - I'm hurting as much as the next fan and have been supporting this club far longer than most.

Anyway, I will continue to offer my opinions as to what I think is wrong at this club, rather than go along with much of the ill-founded optimism about how well we're going to do in League 1 next season. I'm going to return to the Rossi of a few years ago on this board and will always call a spade a spade - long live the old Rossi.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:43 am
Magicmark wrote:
My wee cousin married a guy who is an identical twin. His twin and ALL his family are Jambos....... Craig decided they were all tw@ts at 8 years old and decided to be a Hibs fan. :lol: Loved that story when I heard it.
Well the main reason I dislike Noj is that awfull yellow shirt,must be like wearing a giant duster :lol: Apparently they used to play in white in the early days, but the team shirts were left in a cow shed & they got covered in sh*te,after that & lacking in funds they went with that colour ;)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, must admit, I’ve never in my life bought a yellow Hibs away shirt. Nothing to do with Norwich....... it’s just a shocking colour to wear.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm
Bluemike wrote:
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 am

Doesn't matter what was said, Mike. That kind of opinion supports the kung-fu kick by Eric Cantona of a fan that called him a b@stard and other similar happenings over the years - players and managers are paid huge amounts of money, should be prepared to accept the cons of being in the public eyes as well as the benefits, and ought to be able to control themselves better. PL's behaviour yesterday - as manager and talisman of this club - was nothing short of disgraceful.
Gary it does matter what was said, very much so, I love the fact we have a manager who stands up for his players, 1) I expect you prefer the silent MM approach ? 2)It has absolutely nothing in common with the Cantona thing at all, ridiculous to compare the Two.

3)I don't get why for some weeks now you seem to be reveling in the fact things are going wrong, it makes no sense to me, I as Town fan am hurting in so many ways and hate what is going on but I certainly take no pleasure from the situation as a few seem to do because it may or may not justify their thoughts prior to them coming to pass, don't get that at all.
1) No of course I don't - I want to see fire and passion as much as the next fan, but the place for that is on the pitch. In full view of the tv cameras, you had one out-of-control hothead trying to get at people on the opposing bench, and one cool manager just standing aside. It's no surprise one team is doing well and the other so poorly.

2) Cantona reacted to an insult, so did PL (apparently). How do they have nothing in common? To say it's ridiculous to compare the 2 is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

3) In what way have I been revelling things going wrong with the club - all I have done is to give an opinion. I'm certainly not happy with what is going on at the club - I'm hurting as much as the next fan and have been supporting this club far longer than most.

Anyway, I will continue to offer my opinions as to what I think is wrong at this club, rather than go along with much of the ill-founded optimism about how well we're going to do in League 1 next season. I'm going to return to the Rossi of a few years ago on this board and will always call a spade a spade - long live the old Rossi.
Gary, I wouldn't want you to be anything else other than the real you, I take it you haven't been in recent times then ?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
my first matches I really remember were these below, but vagally remember some night games with Dad and Uncles. I seem to remember a night FA Cup match v Man City but cant find the year,

the days of standing on wooden planks behind the goal at Portman Road,

26 August 1961 Ipswich Town 2–4 Manchester City.

31 March 1962 Ipswich Town 3–2 Wolverhampton Wanderers.

21 October 1961 Ipswich Town 3–2 Tottenham Hotspur.

My first Wolves matches at the Mol were around mid 50s.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:36 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm
The difference between the two sides was the finishing. If Town could score the difference in confidence would be immense.
Do you think that if we could score that would sort things out Derick? What about the fact that we cannot keep a clean sheet for love nor money?
It's not just the attack, it's not just the defence - sadly it's the whole team that are not good enough :(
Yes I do. Goals are everything. If we have something to hang on to instead of chasing games confidence would definitely return and so would the victories.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm

I do think we have a player who knows where the goal is: Ellis Harrison, who, mainly because of that injury we haven't seen enough of yet. I very much hope that PL rates him and gives him a decent run in the side. At the moment he's coming on mainly as a sub and I fear that PL will want to start the two loans he got in the transfer window at his expense. A confident Harrison and a fit Bishop providing the bullets, could do very well in League 1 next season, and dare I hope we still have all our youngsters and Dozzell gets more game time.
I' d also like to see Nsiala getting more time on the pitch. Of all Hurst's purchases he and Harrison are the two who could be very important next season. Nobody has mentioned Nolan yesterday. I thought he had his best game for us, worked very hard and for the first time saw glimpses of what he obviously showed last season.
Lambert's main task for the rest of the season will be to motivate the side to show as much fight and passion as they showed yesterday.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm
I do think we have a player who knows where the goal is: Ellis Harrison, who, mainly because of that injury we haven't seen enough of yet. I very much hope that PL rates him and gives him a decent run in the side. At the moment he's coming on mainly as a sub and I fear that PL will want to start the two loans he got in the transfer window at his expense. A confident Harrison and a fit Bishop providing the bullets, could do very well in League 1 next season, and dare I hope we still have all our youngsters and Dozzell gets more game time.
I' d also like to see Nsiala getting more time on the pitch. Of all Hurst's purchases he and Harrison are the two who could be very important next season. Nobody has mentioned Nolan yesterday. I thought he had his best game for us, worked very hard and for the first time saw glimpses of what he obviously showed last season.
Lambert's main task for the rest of the season will be to motivate the side to show as much fight and passion as they showed yesterday.
Ranger, agree with you on Harrison & Nsiala, definitely the Two best Hurst signings for sure and both been very unlucky with Injury & Wrong Red card which halted their runs in the side. I definitely see them as Two more than able League One players, I think they would do fine in this division too given a proper chance,

Can't agree with you on Nolan though mate, again I saw little to get enthused about if I am honest, I think he is League One at best.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

I think Jackson might know where the net is but he prefers to play with a strike partner. Not sure PL will continue with 2 up front ( which we supposedly were doing Sunday). But if he did I’d make either Harrison or Jackson partner Quaner as he had physical presence .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:
my first matches I really remember were these below, but vagally remember some night games with Dad and Uncles. I seem to remember a night FA Cup match v Man City but cant find the year,

Hi John

We played Man City at Portman Road on Monday Night 11 September 1961 in the 1st Round of the League Cup. Result was Town 4 -2 Man City, Doug Moran (2) and Ray Crawford (2) scored our goals.

We also played Man City at Portman Road on a Tuesday Night 14 March 1967 in an FA Cup 5th Round Replay which we lost 0-3.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am
Ando wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm
For me I think the PL, his staff, the players and those fans today did the club proud. Until today my jury was still out on Lambert, but not anymore. I only saw the first half and listened to the second half on the radio. After the first 5 minutes I witnessed a team bottom dictate play to the team top of the league and on their home ground.

The football today was far better than anything I had seen from MM or PH time In charge. Yes it's all about points and winning matches but I was more entertained today than anytime in recent years. I thought Keane grew into the game and judge looked menacing. However goals win matches and we missed that today. We did not go down with a wimper and gave it a real go.

Valley I would rather someone like Lambert in charge who has passion than a damp squid. I do not believe he made a idiot of himself, he showed true passion and did not back down. To me that's leading by example in terms of passion and the will to win.

We will bounce back of that I am confident with Lambert in charge.
I'm sorry, but the stats on PL's reign thus far hugely contradict that statement
Only time will tell Rossi, as I said the jury was still out for me until Sunday. Agree the results have have not improved but throughout the club there is a sense of unity and a seige mentality is building. Let's pick up this conversation in 12 months time and see who is right.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:46 pm
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:29 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Gary, I wouldn't want you to be anything else other than the real you, I take it you haven't been in recent times then ?
Yes I have Mike - but situation demands that I don't get into Ipswich before 2:30 so can no longer have a drink before games :(

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:00 pm

Ando wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am
Ando wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm
For me I think the PL, his staff, the players and those fans today did the club proud. Until today my jury was still out on Lambert, but not anymore. I only saw the first half and listened to the second half on the radio. After the first 5 minutes I witnessed a team bottom dictate play to the team top of the league and on their home ground.

The football today was far better than anything I had seen from MM or PH time In charge. Yes it's all about points and winning matches but I was more entertained today than anytime in recent years. I thought Keane grew into the game and judge looked menacing. However goals win matches and we missed that today. We did not go down with a wimper and gave it a real go.

Valley I would rather someone like Lambert in charge who has passion than a damp squid. I do not believe he made a idiot of himself, he showed true passion and did not back down. To me that's leading by example in terms of passion and the will to win.

We will bounce back of that I am confident with Lambert in charge.
I'm sorry, but the stats on PL's reign thus far hugely contradict that statement
Only time will tell Rossi, as I said the jury was still out for me until Sunday. Agree the results have have not improved but throughout the club there is a sense of unity and a seige mentality is building. Let's pick up this conversation in 12 months time and see who is right.
Happy to do that, Ando, though in all honesty I doubt that PL will still be here so there probably won't be much to talk about ;)

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm
RRanger wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm
Ranger, agree with you on Harrison & Nsiala, definitely the Two best Hurst signings for sure and both been very unlucky with Injury & Wrong Red card which halted their runs in the side. I definitely see them as Two more than able League One players, I think they would do fine in this division too given a proper chance,

Can't agree with you on Nolan though mate, again I saw little to get enthused about if I am honest, I think he is League One at best.
Yeah, I too agree about Nsiala and Harrison - another example of OUR players not being developed because of loanees and STLs.

Like Mike, I cannot agree with you at all regarding Nolan - useless and not up to this standard, and he's an ugly little sod as well

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am
goldandblack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Hi John

We played Man City at Portman Road on Monday Night 11 September 1961 in the 1st Round of the League Cup. Result was Town 4 -2 Man City, Doug Moran (2) and Ray Crawford (2) scored our goals.

We also played Man City at Portman Road on a Tuesday Night 14 March 1967 in an FA Cup 5th Round Replay which we lost 0-3.
Cheers for that mate, Oh for those days back. your the same age as me I think so you must have memories the same.

It must have been that league cup game in 61 as I was back in East Anglia that year. I remember/thought the Town won. So that 2-4 defeat to City must have been in the league.
Always remember meeting up with Uncles and Cousins from around Suffolk at that match and others. When you listen or speak to BlueMike he is must be from the same mould as my late dad and his brothers. 100% support regardless of results.

That Spurs match went to see the double winning team, good days for the Town but the start of the Wolves decline.

The Wolves result was probably your best result in the history of Ipswich Town :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Why am I starting to whistle the theme tune to Last Of The Summer Wine ? :lol: :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm
Why am I starting to whistle the theme tune to Last Of The Summer Wine ? :lol: :lol:
well im not Compo before you say it although her indoors would disagree lol.

ah but at least me and Charnwood can sat we were there when the Town last won the league , how's that chant go. ermm.
"We saw the Football League Champions, you can never say that". 8)
Last edited by goldandblack on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm
Bluemike wrote:

ah but at least me and Charnwood were there when the Town great, how's that chant go. ermm.
Indeed yes, halcyon days for sure, I am not sure Andy is gonna like being Compo though lol.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

ah but at least me and Charnwood were there when the Town great, how's that chant go. ermm.
Indeed yes, halcyon days for sure, I am not sure Andy is gonna like being Compo though lol.
Andy sounds more like that fella that used to blow the shed up every week, :lol: :lol:

Anyway a bit of respect young man, the likes of me and Andy were up to our neck in muck and bullets for the likes you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:57 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:12 pm
goldandblack wrote:

Andy sounds more like that fella that used to blow the shed up every week, :lol: :lol:

Anyway a bit of respect young man, the likes of me and Andy were up to our neck in muck and bullets for the likes you.
Young man John, I love that.