East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we salvage something from the season?

Budgies Win
71%
Town Win
11%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 28

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Like I was saying previously, nobody knows what was said during the fracas, I also didn't realise the sh*t refused to shake hands after the game and they talk about having class, fuckwits, proud of Lambert.

Town boss Paul Lambert has confirmed that Norwich goalkeeping-coach Ed Wooten challenged him to a fight during the melee which took place between the benches just before half-time during Sunday’s East Anglian derby at Carrow Road. The Blues manager was also unhappy with the way one of the home club’s stewards shoved him away from the flashpoint, which was triggered by a Jon Nolan foul on Canaries full-back Max Aarons.

Sky Sports reported this morning that the Blues are set to make an official complaint to the FA regarding the behaviour of the steward.

“That got me angry,” Lambert said when asked about the steward’s push. “I don’t know why he had to get involved. Why did he have to get involved? There was no thing there, there was no reason for him to be involved.

“I heard some things on their side and that’s why I responded. I didn’t need a steward to try and usher me out of the road.

“I’ve never seen anything like that before. At Portman Road do we have stewards in the middle between the two benches? I’ve not seen any. Did they have any at Stoke? Did they have any at Wolves? I’ve never seen anything like that.”

Lambert also confirmed that Norwich goalkeeping-coach Wooton challenged him to a fight, with their head of performance Chris Domogalla having been erroneously been sent to the stands along with the Blues boss by referee Peter Bankes.

“That’s it, yes” he said when quizzed on whether that was what happened. “I tell you what, next time I’ll say, ‘No, you win’. Don’t do it in front of 25,000, do it inside. Then we’ll see.

“I’m not going to stand and take it. No chance. I didn’t even know who the guy was. I don’t even know the guy’s name. I don’t know who he was, whether he was the goalkeeping-coach. Try and stick to what you’re good at. There’s a good idea.

“I don’t know if he played the game or anything. I’m not standing back for that, that’s for sure. Get him to give me a call then, see what happens.”

Wooten, 35, played for the likes of Redbridge, Tiptree United, Halstead Town and FC Clacton during his career, while he has also coached at Grays Athletic.

Asked to confirm that the club will be making the reported complaint to the FA, Lambert said: “I’ve just come in for training so I’ll have to find out what’s going on. I think the club’s got every right to review and look at things and then say what they’re going to say.

“I’ll say my bit on it, what I thought happened in it. I don’t want the club to be stamped on, that’s for sure.”

Earlier in his press conference, he was asked whether there had been any fallout from the incident and joked: “I got sent flowers and chocolates from Norwich!”

In terms of action against him for the red card, he says he’ll learn more later in the week.

“I’m waiting for the report, I’ve got until Friday for it to come through,” he added. “I’ll have a look at that and see what the version is that everybody saw.

“I know what went on in there and I’ve seen it and there were things said in there. As I said before, there were other things going on in there and that’s why I’m not standing for it, I’ll not let anybody try and anything with the football club or try and bring it down or anything like that.

“And they can talk about having class after the game. They never had class not shaking [Town assistant manager] Stuart Taylor’s hand after the game.

“That goes under the radar but I’m not having anybody belittling this football club, that’s for sure.”

Does he believe it would he harsh if he were to be handed a touchline ban? “In my own eyes, yes. But I’m pretty sure they’ll look at it and they’ll see the different stuff stewards getting involved and all that. When did we have a steward at our dugout? I never see anybody. I've never seen anything like that.

“I’ve been involved in the Premier League, I’ve been at the highest level as a player and at the highest level as a manager, never been involved in anything like that.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 pm

You could clearly see the guy with the black hair do the “mon then!” gesture towards Lambo. :lol: If only the steward had gotten out the feckin way. I do believe Lambo would’ve nutted him. Derbies are all about folk getting nutted! :lol:

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:30 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:39 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 am
goldandblack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

my first matches I really remember were these below, but vagally remember some night games with Dad and Uncles. I seem to remember a night FA Cup match v Man City but cant find the year,

the days of standing on wooden planks behind the goal at Portman Road,

26 August 1961 Ipswich Town 2–4 Manchester City.

31 March 1962 Ipswich Town 3–2 Wolverhampton Wanderers.

21 October 1961 Ipswich Town 3–2 Tottenham Hotspur.

My first Wolves matches at the Mol were around mid 50s.

Hi John

We played Man City at Portman Road on Monday Night 11 September 1961 in the 1st Round of the League Cup. Result was Town 4 -2 Man City, Doug Moran (2) and Ray Crawford (2) scored our goals.

We also played Man City at Portman Road on a Tuesday Night 14 March 1967 in an FA Cup 5th Round Replay which we lost 0-3.
Cheers for that mate, Oh for those days back. your the same age as me I think so you must have memories the same.

It must have been that league cup game in 61 as I was back in East Anglia that year. I remember/thought the Town won. So that 2-4 defeat to City must have been in the league.
Always remember meeting up with Uncles and Cousins from around Suffolk at that match and others. When you listen or speak to BlueMike he is must be from the same mould as my late dad and his brothers. 100% support regardless of results.

That Spurs match went to see the double winning team, good days for the Town but the start of the Wolves decline.

The Wolves result was probably your best result in the history of Ipswich Town :wink:
My first game was the first home game on 29th August 1961 season vs last seasons League Champions Burnley we wone 6-2 after being 2-0 down against a very strong Burnley side
Adam Blacklaw
Alex Elder
John Angus
Thomas Cummings
Brian Miller
Jimmy McIlroy
Jimmy Adamson
Ian Towers
Jimmy Robson
Ray Pointer
John Connelly

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:30 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Hi John

We played Man City at Portman Road on Monday Night 11 September 1961 in the 1st Round of the League Cup. Result was Town 4 -2 Man City, Doug Moran (2) and Ray Crawford (2) scored our goals.

We also played Man City at Portman Road on a Tuesday Night 14 March 1967 in an FA Cup 5th Round Replay which we lost 0-3.
Cheers for that mate, Oh for those days back. your the same age as me I think so you must have memories the same.

It must have been that league cup game in 61 as I was back in East Anglia that year. I remember/thought the Town won. So that 2-4 defeat to City must have been in the league.
Always remember meeting up with Uncles and Cousins from around Suffolk at that match and others. When you listen or speak to BlueMike he is must be from the same mould as my late dad and his brothers. 100% support regardless of results.

That Spurs match went to see the double winning team, good days for the Town but the start of the Wolves decline.

The Wolves result was probably your best result in the history of Ipswich Town :wink:
My first game was the first home game on 29th August 1961 season vs last seasons League Champions Burnley we wone 6-2 after being 2-0 down against a very strong Burnley side
Adam Blacklaw
Alex Elder
John Angus
Thomas Cummings
Brian Miller
Jimmy McIlroy
Jimmy Adamson
Ian Towers
Jimmy Robson
Ray Pointer
John Connelly
There's some names there in that Burnley team, when they won the league that season they stopped us doing the double by a point I think.
Welcome Watership Down as another cast member of Last of the summer Wine, :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:30 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Hi John

Adam Blacklaw
Alex Elder
John Angus
Thomas Cummings
Brian Miller
Jimmy McIlroy
Jimmy Adamson
Ian Towers
Jimmy Robson
Ray Pointer
John Connelly

I met a few of the Burnley players from that era a few years back when I was invited to Turf Moor when Booby Robson took his Newcastle United team there for a special pre season occasion attended by many of the Burnley legends, I sat next to Brian Pilkington who played for Burnley for ten years but would have been near the end of his career in the 61/62 season. He spoke enthusiastically about their games with Ipswich Town during that era and as you would expect we had a great evening reminiscing before during and after the match.