Ipswich Town vs Stoke City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up the Derby Performance?

Ipswich Win
80%
Stoke Win
7%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

AylesburyBlue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Stoke City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 am

Caption: We really are mum’s ‘special’ boys...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:55 am

Big surprise for me last night, ..... son recently back from Oz, and he’s got Hibs v Hamilton hospitality for us and a few mates for today! Absolutely thrilled. Off out very soon. 👏👏👏😁😁😁👍👍👍👌👌👌🤘🤘🤘

Have a great day y’all and hopefully both ITFC and the Cabbage will make our days!

Ps, ok, and the Loons @ the gable endies!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:58 am

Hey that's great Marko, have a fab time mate, and lets hope we all come home happy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:02 pm

CAPTION...

" So you only brought me to the footy cus you thought the manager said we have to take the Bull with the horns when he actually said take the Bull by the horns !!!"

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:52 pm
Exactly what I said in the preview, how do we know if Chambers would have blocked it ? Of course we never will but the ridiculous hounding of certain players will go on forever and a day.
oh dear, here we go again

it's an opinion, Mike - just because it doesn't match your own opinion doesn't make it ridiculous

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:10 pm

I know its my opinion, that's wht I gave it lol, I fully accept it doesn't agree with others, that's the beauty of football, not a problem.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:37 pm

Please do not take offence it is only for the comp.

Caption Comp: Hey I thought derek_ips was supposed to turn up ….

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:37 pm

I haven't but it don't make sense.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:

I haven't but it don't make sense and most importantly it's not funny. :?

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Still no luck off the woodwork from Judge

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Sky just summed it up.... Ipswich full of huff and puff, but just lack any quality.... story of our season. Roll on division 1 and a chance to start afresh

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Poor quality game. Two struggling sides, both lacking confidence. Given how late the Keane goal came I'm just happy to have got the point. The sooner this season is over the better.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:22 pm

Bolton and Reading both lost 4-0.

Town goal difference only 1 off Bolton’s now.

Don’t think we’re staying up but well our relegation rivals had worse days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Well after the promise of Wednesday night it has to be said today's fare was very disappointing and at times very poor. I just felt we never really showed any real urgency to take the game by the scruff of the neck and take it to a very poor stoke side who have been woeful of late. Yet again a laughable gift of a goal courtesy of Two so called senior pro's had us left with a mountain to climb but yet again we seldom look capable of scoring, credit where credit is due as we never gave up and got the equaliser right at the death, a draw was a fair and correct result between Two very poor sides.

I found the first half to be tedious beyond belief, as scrappy as I can remember for some time in truth, Stoke definitely began the better with a couple of half chances, both of which cleared the bar with ease, Kenlock at LB had began the game in very jittery fashion and looked ill at ease. Chalobah had our first effort at goal mid way through the half but it was terribly weak and didn't trouble Butland. For me Stoke contiuned to look the better going forward which wasn't saying much as they were not great by any means, the difference between today and Wednesday was like night and day we huffed and puffed with little coming off. Ten minutes from Half time they really should have gone ahead as Sam Vokes ghosted into the box to meet a cross with his head but fortunately for us it sailed just over the bar but the marking on the striker was non existent. Town's only real bright spot had been Bishop and while he saw little of the ball when he did get it he at least tried to drive forward and run at the Stoke defence, Jon Nolan too had done ok in fits and starts and was putting himself about while at the back Pennington had defended well and got his head to a few balls.

With a couple of minutes to go to HT we gave away yet another calamitous goal which was from the Keystone Kops book of best howlers, Knudsen & Bart getting in an almighty mess between them, Knudsen cushioned his header back to Bart who had for the first time in his career come a few inches off his line, whether he shouted or not god only knows but the balls creeps past him and is heading for goal before their striker prods it home, for me both Town players were at fault but I cannot help but think a top keeper races off his line and clears out the ball and Knudsen, Bart was facing out and should read the situation better and quicker. It was a real blow for Town in what had been a very even game with little quality on show.

Having not looked like scoring one we started the second half needing Two so the task was massive but we so nearly got the dream restart we desperately needed, another good piece of play from Teddy Bishop wins a freekick in a dangerous position and from the resultant kick Alan Judge slams it against the angle of bar & post, so so close but pretty much how our luck goes. Town were at least playing some better football now with Bishop instrumental in most of it, getting the ball down and running at Stoke but support for him at times was missing. Nolan was next to have a shot but apparently it is ok to defend it with your hands now as a defender got in the way, not a chance in hell we would get a penalty.

Kenlock who had a poor game got forward well and tried his luck but the shot was more like a pass back than anything else, Sub Edwards had come on and too be fair looked very dangerous and lively, one piece of play was superb and resulted in a cross which flashed across the goal. time was running out when we finally got the goal that maybe we just about deserved, judge swung in a corner which on this occasion was right on the money and there was Will keane at the far post to head home much to the delight of the Town fans, that was pretty much the last action in what for me was a very scrappy game.

With all the other results going our way a win would have been massive as the gap would have been down to seven, as it is it is still Nine, I felt we definitely lacked any real leadership out there today and while some don't want the old guard in the team I can't help but think it may have made a difference against this opponent. Trevoh Chalobah who looked so good Wednesday just could not make a pass today, Kenlock at Left back found it tough all game, Keane was feeding off scraps all the time and was never close enough to really link up with Quaner, then of course the rick from our Two senior pro's needs no debate, watch it for yourselves but it was so avoidable.

Bart....(5) At fault for their goal for me, the only thing he really had to do and failed.

Bree....(6) Steady if unspectacular, does try to get forward but passing let him down at the key moments.

Pennington..(7) Pick of the defenders and won a lot of headers and interceptions, stepping up well.

Knudsen...(6) Had a part to play in the error but did do some good stuff too.

Kenlock...(5) Not his day and has lost some of the vigour he showed in earlier games, I am unconvinced again atm.

Chalobah...(5) His passing was woeful and as dominant as he was wednesday I expected better, doesn't hide though.

Judge...(7) Some of his delivery is sublime and some is seriously poor but much of our good stuff features him. Unlucky with Free kick.

Nolan...(6) Gave it a real go, especially in the first half, does get into the box at times, lacks a killer pass.

Bishop...(7) The real quality player in our team for me, needed to get on the ball more but when he did he caused problems. MOTM

Quaner...(6) A real workhorse but no goal threat, for One so big he is weak with his head.

Keane...(7) Johnny on the spot today, aside from his goal he works tirelessly and has a first class first touch.

SUBS :-

Jackson...(5) Runs around but can't seem to make the right runs when needed.

Edwards...(6) Flashes of what he can really do when he came on, oh how we have missed his trickery.

Next Two games are against Wigan & Reading and both can be won, not with a repeat of today however, we need a Derby type effort to give us a chance, Six points would give us a glimmer (who am I kidding) but I do think we need some leadership out there as it was so obviously missing today, whether it be a Chambers, Collins and or Skuse matter not but we need something back. The football is definitely more enjoyable these days but even Paul Lambert needs time to polish a turd.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:55 pm

For me a scrappy game between two poor sides.
At the end of the day we got a point but it is like we are on life support and it is only a matter of time before it is switched off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Just seen the highlights and I have to say I change my mind a bit, in real time it looked more Bart's error but seeing again it is most definitely more Knudsen's

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:21 pm
Just seen the highlights and I have to say I change my mind a bit, in real time it looked more Bart's error but seeing again it is most definitely more Knudsen's
I was just about to say I agree with your thoughts on the c*ck up and praise you for not coming down on your favourite player Jonas 😂 did he get a call? even Pennington was close enough to shout, it's amazing how many points have we lost this season through errors at the back, roll on August I say.😞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:05 pm

I actually blame them both but I did originally think it was down to Bart more so

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:00 pm
BLUEBLOOD wrote:

I haven't but it don't make sense and most importantly it's not funny. :?
It was the glasses I could see you in blue and white in the middle

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Caption Comp: Hey Statler you muppet no you are the muppet Waldorf….https://giphy.com/gifs/GuFOwgtFnOumQ

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:05 pm
I actually blame them both but I did originally think it was down to Bart more so
I've watched it several times now if both Bart and Jonas had left it Pennington could have easily cleared it IMO but it's history now.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am
CAPTION...

"Look at those Ipswich fans with Magical Vegas on their shirts, don't they look f**king stupid, who would turn up to football looking like that "
Possibly a reason why we are performing so badly advertising that sh*t,I for one will not be purchasing anything with that on a shirt.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:42 am

Our errors are magnified because we are not scoring enough at the other end . All teams are making the same type of mistakes but are scoring at the other end. That's where our problems truely lay.
Seeing other teams around us getting stuffed show to me we are in the fight and will try to the end. The team could have easily folded but instead kept going till the bitter end.

The harsh reality is Only Bolton have less points than us since Lambert took over.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 am

The error for there goal for me was down to lack of leadership. Wasn't just the goal either. There was hardly any drive. I thought Stoke was for the taken today.

Honestly Bishop was man of the match by a mile. I thought Edwards when came on had best game for ages. Well taken goal by Keane from a very good corner. Judge i thought played well and was unlucky but mostly we needed somebody to drive us on, thought few players were going through the motions though if we had of won wouldn't been against run of play

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 am

The biggest reward was the end goal that saved a scoreline. Lambert believe said post-game it were a mammoth point - not sure if that was mention to Keane's goal at the time it came, or (to assist) league position. If the latter it doesn't help to any great extent with games and time remaining.

15,000 was about expected, can understand why people wish to non-attend but would have thought more could have made the effort seeing as the club's about to give up second league status. Other scores in the vicinity may have been favorable and the team seemed to show desire on occasion but as always one or more of the playing squad comes in for ridicule or questions ability. Just for the record Lambert's list of games thus far as manger here reads :

Played 19
Won 2
Drawn 5
Lose 12

Say what you will but it's unsatisfactory many would argue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:57 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 am
The error for there goal for me was down to lack of leadership. Wasn't just the goal either. There was hardly any drive. I thought Stoke was for the taken today.

Honestly Bishop was man of the match by a mile. I thought Edwards when came on had best game for ages. Well taken goal by Keane from a very good corner. Judge i thought played well and was unlucky but mostly we needed somebody to drive us on, thought few players were going through the motions though if we had of won wouldn't been against run of play
Exactly what I eluded to in report, we lacked any kind of leadership all game. You should never have a keeper as captain either but Bart especially, he is incapable of opening his mouth. Did you notice his body language at HT after we had just conceded, he ambled off the pitch all alone and was still walking off when the last players had disappeared down the tunnel, bloody hopeless captain, he should have been trotting off to get in and gee them up as Chambers would undoubtedly have done.

Also had Bishop as my MOTM, different class on the ball, if we can keep hold of him he will be different class in League One.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:23 pm

I have now watched the stoke goal 4 times. I cannot tell who is at fault. Looks like it’s all three of them not being able to defend a ball that’s not that dangerous. It’s not weighted enough for Bart to claim, it bounces between Pen & Knood, ...... Jonas maybe flaps a little but he may be expecting Bart to be closer to him...... strange goal. They’re all at fault. All three of them the fk out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm

More worried about Stoke, on poor form, playing away, and looking like they dominated up until that goal. Maybe not clear cut chances but striding forward with ease.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm

I thought Pennington was blameless tbh and had the other Two goons not been in the way would have cleared it comfortably.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:44 pm

it was the goalkeepers ball all day long. It's not a question of who should of dealt with it more a question of why Bart didn't?

Did Bart not call? did Jonas not hear if he did?

When we seen this live, everybody around me shouted what was Jonas doing? The Stoke player was way past him nearing the goal. Jonas couldn't of headed it any better for him to tap it in. The Stoke player hardly celebrated as if too embarrassed.

I agree Pennnington was totally faultless but it was the goalkeepers ball. I'm sure Jonas could see Bart coming and if he did only reason i can think of for heading is he thought he was going to be challenged. Pure and utter balls up you hardly see on the local rec with two pub teams in my opinion