Some perspective on recent improved form

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
MasseyFerguson
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:39 am

The recent improvement in performances has been very welcome and has given us all some hope that we may come straight back up from League 1.

I offered the opinion last Tuesday that I had a lingering doubt in my head about how much faith we should have in this improvement. The doubt was based on my belief that, this time in a season, teams in mid table have nothing to play for, teams in and around the playoffs tend to drop points due to pressure, and teams in the relegation battle seem to pick up points that earlier in the season they weren't getting.

So let's look at some facts that put some perspective on our recent form.

I think we can all agree that, in spite of the defeat, the catalyst for this recent good form was the Norwich match.

Since that game ( and including it) we have played eight games and have picked up six points.

Bolton have also picked up six points in their last eight games.
Rotherham have picked up 10.
Reading have picked up 12.
Millwall have picked up 7.
Wigan have picked up 7.

These facts tend to feed the niggling doubts I have in my head about whether we are witnessing renaissance or a false dawn.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 15853
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 am

So........ it’s a false dawn? Ok. Now what? Be worried all season about mid table League One monotonous mediocrity?

Not being argumentative, honest....... I’m trying to work out what the point of it is with regards to Ipswich Town moving forward from this point on. I think I’m correct in thinking that you’re basically saying however decent the performances are, it’ll have no bearing whatsoever come August?

User avatar
nicscreamer
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 pm
Location: In front of my computer
Contact:

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

I think looking at points gathered may be one way of looking at it, however the bigger picture (or at least from my angle) is slightly different.

Over the past 7 games we have lost once! We have stopped becoming a walk over and started to become hard to beat. Added to this we have been playing some excellent football and certainly deserved to win at least 2 of the last 6 games. Our only loss has been a last minute goal against Reading. So from bottom of the table and losing every week, we have moved on to at least being a tough team to play. (but still bottom of the league)

We definitely need someone to start banging in the goals, but I have reason to hope that when we start in August our current crop of strikers will kick off well against weaker Div 1 teams and hopefully build some confidence to start racking up the goals.

Obviously time will tell, and we will need to start well in the new division, but the signs and certainly promising - from this computer chair at least.

tangfastic
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by tangfastic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

There’s been plenty of positives in the last 6 or 7 games.

Without trying to apply lipstick to a pig or sweep our problems underneath the carpet, what exactly is the point of stamping on any shoots of recovery? Or perhaps over-analysing our recent performances? We should know by now what’s gone wrong and surely we’ve suffered enough.

We could so easily be whipping boys now who’ve given up and the fans could be warring with each other. It’s actually been good football... more enjoyable than I’ve seen for years. And seriously close to winning games against decent opposition who are desperate for the points. Maybe the pressure is getting to certain teams, but they’ll be fighting for every ball and not doing us favours at all.

Take that positivity into next season and that’s going to be far better than berating ourselves.

MasseyFerguson
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 am
So........ it’s a false dawn? Ok. Now what? Be worried all season about mid table League One monotonous mediocrity?

Not being argumentative, honest....... I’m trying to work out what the point of it is with regards to Ipswich Town moving forward from this point on. I think I’m correct in thinking that you’re basically saying however decent the performances are, it’ll have no bearing whatsoever come August?
Fair criticism. I suppose, given how disastrous the earlier part of the season was and how depressed i was by how far we fell, I'm just afraid to get my hopes too high too soon. I really want this to be the start of something wonderful because the alternative is just too awful to think about. I suppose i need to lighten up!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 19634
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 pm

Stick with it Massey, sometimes points accrued don't tell anywhere near the whole story, there is hope for next season, we look decent again, and entertaining. The last Three posts have summed it up for me.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 15853
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 am
marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 am
So........ it’s a false dawn? Ok. Now what? Be worried all season about mid table League One monotonous mediocrity?

Not being argumentative, honest....... I’m trying to work out what the point of it is with regards to Ipswich Town moving forward from this point on. I think I’m correct in thinking that you’re basically saying however decent the performances are, it’ll have no bearing whatsoever come August?
Fair criticism. I suppose, given how disastrous the earlier part of the season was and how depressed i was by how far we fell, I'm just afraid to get my hopes too high too soon. I really want this to be the start of something wonderful because the alternative is just too awful to think about. I suppose i need to lighten up!
No, you don’t need to lighten up because you’re passionate about your club. I was just trying to understand a bit better.

I think we should all join Tangfastic and go put lipstick on pigs. Hopefully Eric Gates’ pigs. Could get an autograph from one of my favourite past players.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by saint jude » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 am

Not sure how long Lambert's contract runs for but what's to stop him jumping ship if it goes badly wrong in the third league from August. Won't be the first time he's walked out on a club side, in fact he's got something of a history for it. Can you say hand on heart he'll be in position here one year from today, you know damn well all things are subject to change.

The recent upturn in performance is encouraging but what f**king good is to the team at this stage of the season. It's been garbage nearly the entire way and all of the sudden the squad is finding draws or proving hard to beat ? Sorry but it doesn't compensate for all that went before it.

Hurst should be out of sight by now but those opening twelve games or whatever left a huge cloud over many. Lambert came in, whether you're for or against the individual victories have been very few and far between. Yeah of course we don't have no money to spend, by that it's the be all and end all for a manager to motivate a team and prove successful, right ?

It's easy to be skeptical when you weren't in favor with Lambert's appointment from day one but it's all about the team. Just want the club to succeed and regain some previous stature, going to be tough to accept being out of the top two leagues after so many years of support but one or two individuals will be largely culpable for the situation.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8520
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by saint jude » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 am

saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 am
Not sure how long Lambert's contract runs for but what's to stop him jumping ship if it goes badly wrong in the third league from August. Won't be the first time he's walked out on a club side, in fact he's got something of a history for it. Can you say hand on heart he'll be in position here one year from today, you know damn well all things are subject to change.

The recent upturn in performance is encouraging but what f**king good is it to the team at this stage of the season. It's been garbage nearly the entire way and all of the sudden the squad is finding draws or proving hard to beat ? Sorry but it doesn't compensate for all that went before it.

Hurst should be out of sight by now but those opening twelve games or whatever left a huge cloud over many. Lambert came in, whether you're for or against the individual victories have been very few and far between. Yeah of course we don't have no money to spend, by that it's the be all and end all for a manager to motivate a team and prove successful, right ?

It's easy to be skeptical when you weren't in favor with Lambert's appointment from day one but it's all about the team. Just want the club to succeed and regain some previous stature, going to be tough to accept being out of the top two leagues after so many years of support but one or two individuals will be largely culpable for the situation.

charlton837
Posts: 1017
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:53 am

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by charlton837 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:48 am

saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 am
Not sure how long Lambert's contract runs for but what's to stop him jumping ship if it goes badly wrong in the third league from August. Won't be the first time he's walked out on a club side, in fact he's got something of a history for it. Can you say hand on heart he'll be in position here one year from today, you know damn well all things are subject to change.

The recent upturn in performance is encouraging but what f**king good is to the team at this stage of the season. It's been garbage nearly the entire way and all of the sudden the squad is finding draws or proving hard to beat ? Sorry but it doesn't compensate for all that went before it.

Hurst should be out of sight by now but those opening twelve games or whatever left a huge cloud over many. Lambert came in, whether you're for or against the individual victories have been very few and far between. Yeah of course we don't have no money to spend, by that it's the be all and end all for a manager to motivate a team and prove successful, right ?

It's easy to be skeptical when you weren't in favor with Lambert's appointment from day one but it's all about the team. Just want the club to succeed and regain some previous stature, going to be tough to accept being out of the top two leagues after so many years of support but one or two individuals will be largely culpable for the situation.

If we were poor in league 1 there’s no chance of lambert jumping ship as nobody would want him anyway. He needs us as much as we need him at the moment. I was sceptical about his apppintment but he’s won me over. Enjoying the games so much more than I have for a long time. This season has effectively been a write off since Bristol city at home in my opinion, that was the night I lost hope of survival. But we have at least not given up trying to play, we could easily just have capitulated and lost every week. We’re playing better now than at any other point of the season

tangfastic
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Some perspective on recent improved form

Post by tangfastic » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:10 am
marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:02 am
So........ it’s a false dawn? Ok. Now what? Be worried all season about mid table League One monotonous mediocrity?

Not being argumentative, honest....... I’m trying to work out what the point of it is with regards to Ipswich Town moving forward from this point on. I think I’m correct in thinking that you’re basically saying however decent the performances are, it’ll have no bearing whatsoever come August?
Fair criticism. I suppose, given how disastrous the earlier part of the season was and how depressed i was by how far we fell, I'm just afraid to get my hopes too high too soon. I really want this to be the start of something wonderful because the alternative is just too awful to think about. I suppose i need to lighten up!


No, you don’t need to lighten up because you’re passionate about your club. I was just trying to understand a bit better.

I think we should all join Tangfastic and go put lipstick on pigs. Hopefully Eric Gates’ pigs. Could get an autograph from one of my favourite past players.
Here’s a smudge of lipstick on pigs.... no international breaks next season. Bloody hate them.

I guess some of our young kids might be unavailable for Town if they’re called up for age group internationals. And don’t rule out Chambo... I think he’s eligible for Ireland. Could do with the extra cash as well next season..... as noticed by the Irish Manager.

Post Reply