What’s our strongest defence / formation?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

What’s our strongest defence / formation?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 am

I’d go for the following ......

As a flat back four :

Holly

Donacien
Nsiala
Chambers
Kenlock

As a three with wing backs I’d go

Holy

Nsiala
Chambers
Ndaba

Wingbacks

Emmanuel
Garbutt

What’s your line up ?

nicscreamer

Re: What’s our strongest defence / formation?

Post by nicscreamer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

Ive not seen Holy play...… Is he defo Number 1 now? I had Bart made some errors again at weekend

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:06 pm

I know Chambers is banned for the first game, but I’d say Donacien-Chambers-Nsiala-Kenlock should start as the preferred back four.

I don’t think they’ll end the season as our defence, though.

Not even sure Garbutt is here as a LB primarily... maybe left wing and LB cover.

A lot of questions about our defence. I’d probably say Nsiala could be the likeliest as our strongest defender over the season.Not writing of Chambo as well. Whereas at Championship level he seems to struggling, League 1 could be to his liking.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:30 pm

Tom Holy, Garbutt, Chambers, Nisala, Jan Donacien. Once again don't possess the insight as some other regular match viewers or attendees so any oversights can be forgiven.

Bart conceded four with Dusseldorf over forty-five minutes while Holy retained a clean sheet in his respective game therefore went in favor of the latter as a stating name on team paper. Naturally these names and opinion will be subject to change over the course of a season but that was initial instinct and content to stick with it for time being.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:33 pm

We kept a clean sheet with Chambo on the pitch too

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:06 pm

I can’t help think Bart’s time is up here. The club wants rid (of the wage bill and a bit of cash) and he’s looking well ropey. Their second goal was so soft - Bart gifted them that. I really would like to part company now as he’s been a decent servant (apart from the last year) and I can see him just warming the bench and being a heavy-hitter on the wage bill. I can’t see many clubs willing to pay 900k or whatever though after the last season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:18 pm

I agree with you completely Tang.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm

Paul Cooper
Mick Mills
Terry Butcher
Kevin Beattie
George Burley.

:roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Can’t say I disagree with that Derek 😁👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:38 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 pm
Paul Cooper
Mick Mills
Terry Butcher
Kevin Beattie
George Burley.

:roll:
Maybe we should feel lucky we got to have great players in our past, rather than lament their absence. Times move on...

The game has changed so much. Here’s the thing... the closest we had to a defensive midfielder was John Wark and he was busting a gut to score goals at the other end.

I’m really not sure how much we can take from these pre-season games. 2 completely different teams after 45 mins... and no-one wants to get injured. Just want to get started now for real.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Until we have someone better than Chambo to replace him with he’d always be in my starting line up, I think he has so much to offer as a leader on the pitch which is something we’ll need if we want to bring on the youngsters. I know he’s banned for the first game but I expect him to be missed and return immediately. At League One level he should be able to use his vast experience to benefit the team. At 34 next month he should be good for at least another season as long as he stays free from injury.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:14 pm

I haven't seen Holy play so can't comment. In fact haven't seen much of several of the defensive names really.

Regarding Bart, I don't think he's that great and as j said last season he was made to look better by our style (?) of football under MM - funnel back and let the opposition shoot from central positions rather than invite crosses.

To be fair though, it would be hard for any keeper playing behind our defence last season.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:00 am

Holy

Emmanuel Nsiala Chambo New signing