Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How’s the season gonna start??

Burton win
5
18%
Town win
15
54%
Draw
8
29%
 
Total votes: 28

Ando
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Caption 1 How do you spell Lord again ?

Caption 2 anyone got a rubber ? I’ve changed my mind.

User avatar
Ohiotractorboy
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:14 pm

One match, one win. Gotta like that!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20170
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Thanks Mike I always enjoy reading your reports ⚽ 👍.
Ditto! 👌👍👏👏
You're welcome guys

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8694
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:14 pm
One match, one win. Gotta like that!
That was the general consensus on TWTD yesterday, fact of the matter is a great many were getting carried away on the basis of one score. By all reports it wasn't a great game and not much of a step up from our performances in the Championship last season (keep in mind the caliber of opposition also). It's not so much a criticism only assessing things how they appear. Many were offering plaudits left and right and (I) didn't think the game (or players) really warranted such adulation. By all means show enthusiasm but it's only one game in at a lower level, at least allow it time to see how the land lies and what you can feasibly expect in the time ahead.

As an aside hope you're OK (what) with the senseless atrocities in Dayton. Bit too close to home is the case in point. Kind of puts other things into perspective you can argue.

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 2491
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:42 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Thanks Mike I always enjoy reading your reports ⚽ 👍.
Ditto! 👌👍👏👏
You're welcome guys
yeah another great read Mike, what was the away allocation for you guys,

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20170
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Around 1800 mate

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 2491
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 pm
Around 1800 mate
thanks
that's not bad for a ground that holds around 5k.bet you could have doubled that, I cant remember them giving us that many.

User avatar
Ohiotractorboy
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 am

Yeah Mike, I would also like to thank you for the reports. They are good reads, especially for those of us across the pond.

I hear ya, Jude. I really don't understand what is getting into people's heads anymore. The angst is so widespread nowadays...

User avatar
vaalae
Posts: 5813
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by vaalae » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 am

We should mate, it has been far too long! Will drop you a note.
Frosty wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:37 am
Hey buddy, good to see you on!

Having a little one, I expect you on a bit more at stupid times! 😉

Take care, we should catch up for a beer huh?

User avatar
vaalae
Posts: 5813
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:29 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by vaalae » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 am

Mike those reviews are seriously amazing, and Dave your previews are the same. Would recommend you guys host some sort of landing page outside of the TB “paywall” to get both reports out into the wider world each week - some seriously impressive works goes into those which would show the world how serious this site is, and would get more people interested. Not sure how you get “picked up” by something like News Now Ipswich - but there’s no one else putting as much thought and effort into their reports. Hats off to the both of you.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 11535
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Back in rainy Blighty

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am

This was my first Town game for a while and like for most it was my first time watching us making an appearance in the third tier of English football. I wasn’t sure quite what to expect but was surprised it felt very similar to many of our Championship games last season. I had little expectation and was just hoping and praying we could come away with at least a point, anything more would be a bonus, but please please please no poor start.

Just as I said to Bluemike on 10 mins “we could have done with an early goal to settle us down” within seconds the ball was in the back of the net with Garbutts well struck shot taking a huge deflection before hitting the back of the net. What I liked about Luke Garbutt was his willingness to strike the ball whenever he had sight of goal and if he continues this he will score many more, so often we see goal scoring opportunities not taken by playing an extra pass, not Garbutt on today’s showing.

New keeper Tomas Holy is a giant of a man who towers above everyone else on the pitch, it must be quite daunting to a striker to see a keep who fills so much of his goal. His presence is clearly a great attribute, however I have some fears regarding his composure and I think he could be a little clumsy and may rely heavily on shot stopping with his huge arms and legs de’Gea style. In fact it was his clumsiness which nearly cost us two points in the later stages when he fluffed his lines making a clearance which struck one of their attackers. He also worries me with his punching crosses which he should be able to catch. What I did like tho was his ability to see an opportunity to start an attacking move from the back with a quick throw from his possession. Early days yet but there could be a few problems playing opponents with more attacking options than Burton had on Saturday.

The flat back four looked fairly solid although not stretched too much by Burton. Luke Woolfenden looked the pick of the crop and did well enough to keep his place. It will be interesting to see how the back four changes next week when Chambers is available for selection. I expect him to return but these fours performances and a clean sheet make Lamberts decision a little more tricky.

Our midfield played well especially Danny Rowe and Flynn Downes who both gave impressive displays albeit with occasional errors but I guess at their stages in career that has to be expected but overall they were probably the best two players on the pitch with Downes marginally the more effective. It shouldn’t go unnoticed how effective Skuse was either playing alongside the younger players. With both Judge and Huws making effective sub appearances Lambert needs to identify his strongest midfield rather than keep chopping and changing as I think all of these players will perform well at this level especially if they get a few decent results under their belts.

James Norwood looks to be a decent signing but for me I’m not convinced he’s the 20 goal a season man we’re looking for certainly not up front on his own. He looks like he needs a strike partner to play alongside and whilst I thought Kayden Jackson might be the man he fizzled out early and looked a little lost.

Burton were disappointing so I’m not sure how much we learned from this game, however what we did well was to win three points, keep a clean sheet, give debut’s to four new players and all come away happy.

To Bluemike, I hope your journey home was better than the one to Burton.

Meanwhile we’re now ensconced in our farmhouse on the North Norfolk coast wondering what the f*ck we’re doing here with this awful weather in the middle of summer.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 2722
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 pm

vaalae wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 am
Mike those reviews are seriously amazing, and Dave your previews are the same. Would recommend you guys host some sort of landing page outside of the TB “paywall” to get both reports out into the wider world each week - some seriously impressive works goes into those which would show the world how serious this site is, and would get more people interested. Not sure how you get “picked up” by something like News Now Ipswich - but there’s no one else putting as much thought and effort into their reports. Hats off to the both of you.

Cheers Mate,

I spend our winter doing up the templates, basically editing Wiki or checking a few other sites to overview the opposition and facilitating the previews, Mike then puts his amazing thoughts down each week so it’s really full credit to him rather than me.

Also shout out to Marko as his caption contest is a key part of the previews each week.

With the sodding checkatrade competition as well, this season is going to set a new record for previews I fear,

Cheers Dave

Ps ... look forward to that catch up.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 2722
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:01 am
This was my first Town game for a while and like for most it was my first time watching us making an appearance in the third tier of English football. I wasn’t sure quite what to expect but was surprised it felt very similar to many of our Championship games last season. I had little expectation and was just hoping and praying we could come away with at least a point, anything more would be a bonus, but please please please no poor start.

Just as I said to Bluemike on 10 mins “we could have done with an early goal to settle us down” within seconds the ball was in the back of the net with Garbutts well struck shot taking a huge deflection before hitting the back of the net. What I liked about Luke Garbutt was his willingness to strike the ball whenever he had sight of goal and if he continues this he will score many more, so often we see goal scoring opportunities not taken by playing an extra pass, not Garbutt on today’s showing.

New keeper Tomas Holy is a giant of a man who towers above everyone else on the pitch, it must be quite daunting to a striker to see a keep who fills so much of his goal. His presence is clearly a great attribute, however I have some fears regarding his composure and I think he could be a little clumsy and may rely heavily on shot stopping with his huge arms and legs de’Gea style. In fact it was his clumsiness which nearly cost us two points in the later stages when he fluffed his lines making a clearance which struck one of their attackers. He also worries me with his punching crosses which he should be able to catch. What I did like tho was his ability to see an opportunity to start an attacking move from the back with a quick throw from his possession. Early days yet but there could be a few problems playing opponents with more attacking options than Burton had on Saturday.

The flat back four looked fairly solid although not stretched too much by Burton. Luke Woolfenden looked the pick of the crop and did well enough to keep his place. It will be interesting to see how the back four changes next week when Chambers is available for selection. I expect him to return but these fours performances and a clean sheet make Lamberts decision a little more tricky.

Our midfield played well especially Danny Rowe and Flynn Downes who both gave impressive displays albeit with occasional errors but I guess at their stages in career that has to be expected but overall they were probably the best two players on the pitch with Downes marginally the more effective. It shouldn’t go unnoticed how effective Skuse was either playing alongside the younger players. With both Judge and Huws making effective sub appearances Lambert needs to identify his strongest midfield rather than keep chopping and changing as I think all of these players will perform well at this level especially if they get a few decent results under their belts.

James Norwood looks to be a decent signing but for me I’m not convinced he’s the 20 goal a season man we’re looking for certainly not up front on his own. He looks like he needs a strike partner to play alongside and whilst I thought Kayden Jackson might be the man he fizzled out early and looked a little lost.

Burton were disappointing so I’m not sure how much we learned from this game, however what we did well was to win three points, keep a clean sheet, give debut’s to four new players and all come away happy.

To Bluemike, I hope your journey home was better than the one to Burton.

Meanwhile we’re now ensconced in our farmhouse on the North Norfolk coast wondering what the f*ck we’re doing here with this awful weather in the middle of summer.

You bastards didn’t even invite me along! :wink:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20170
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:40 pm

vaalae wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 am
Mike those reviews are seriously amazing, and Dave your previews are the same. Would recommend you guys host some sort of landing page outside of the TB “paywall” to get both reports out into the wider world each week - some seriously impressive works goes into those which would show the world how serious this site is, and would get more people interested. Not sure how you get “picked up” by something like News Now Ipswich - but there’s no one else putting as much thought and effort into their reports. Hats off to the both of you.
Hey thanks for the kind words, they are literally just my thoughts and view of what I see, some may disagree lol, its nice to try and provide an insight into games for those who are unable to attend. I'm sure at times I get it wrong lol.

ipswichtownNo1
Posts: 1220
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:40 pm
vaalae wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 am
Mike those reviews are seriously amazing, and Dave your previews are the same. Would recommend you guys host some sort of landing page outside of the TB “paywall” to get both reports out into the wider world each week - some seriously impressive works goes into those which would show the world how serious this site is, and would get more people interested. Not sure how you get “picked up” by something like News Now Ipswich - but there’s no one else putting as much thought and effort into their reports. Hats off to the both of you.
Hey thanks for the kind words, they are literally just my thoughts and view of what I see, some may disagree lol, its nice to try and provide an insight into games for those who are unable to attend. I'm sure at times I get it wrong lol.
Dont be so kind, mike just cuts n pastes the eatd report!

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 16386
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:40 pm

......., and “Wireless” logs on and posts it! :D

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 am
Yeah Mike, I would also like to thank you for the reports. They are good reads, especially for those of us across the pond.

I hear ya, Jude. I really don't understand what is getting into people's heads anymore. The angst is so widespread nowadays...
The ‘angst’ is how you characterize mass shootings?! I’ll tell you what needs to be done. Assault rifles need to be banned! I’m tired of pro-gun Americans saying “the gun didn’t pull the trigger”! Give me a fuckin break! Why on earth should assault rifles be legal?! I’m blown away by how fuckin ignorant American politics has become. How many more mass shootings will it take?! I work in the media, and I’m tired of this sh*t...tired of the inaction! This is NOT what the 2nd Amendment condones. Why the f*ck do citizens deserve the right to own an assault rifle?!!!

User avatar
Ohiotractorboy
Posts: 2238
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:48 am
Location: Central Ohio

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:58 am

Banning assault rifles will stop this? If you can come up with a law that works on those pre-disposed to breaking them, let me know what it is. Better yet, call Trump with it.

And no, I am not a gun nut.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2254
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 am

The El Paso shooter is a 21 year old loser who picked his nose and eat his scabs in high school. I know all about him. I’ve been camped out at his grandparents house since the massacre happened. And yes, he bought his gun legally.

Sorry tractor-boys...this is not the forum for this. I’m just a little pissed off right now.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20170
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:19 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:24 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:40 pm
vaalae wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 am
Mike those reviews are seriously amazing, and Dave your previews are the same. Would recommend you guys host some sort of landing page outside of the TB “paywall” to get both reports out into the wider world each week - some seriously impressive works goes into those which would show the world how serious this site is, and would get more people interested. Not sure how you get “picked up” by something like News Now Ipswich - but there’s no one else putting as much thought and effort into their reports. Hats off to the both of you.
Hey thanks for the kind words, they are literally just my thoughts and view of what I see, some may disagree lol, its nice to try and provide an insight into games for those who are unable to attend. I'm sure at times I get it wrong lol.
Dont be so kind, mike just cuts n pastes the eatd report!
LOL, that would be easier and much quicker.

User avatar
hallamblue
Posts: 23991
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am
Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 am
Yeah Mike, I would also like to thank you for the reports. They are good reads, especially for those of us across the pond.

I hear ya, Jude. I really don't understannd what is getting into people's heads anymore. The angst is so widespread nowadays...
The ‘angst’ is how you characterize mass shootings?! I’ll tell you what needs to be done. Assault rifles need to be banned! I’m tired of pro-gun Americans saying “the gun didn’t pull the trigger”! Give me a fuckin break! Why on earth should assault rifles be legal?! I’m blown away by how fuckin ignorant American politics has become. How many more mass shootings will it take?! I work in the media, and I’m tired of this sh*t...tired of the inaction! This is NOT what the 2nd Amendment condones. Why the f*ck do citizens deserve the right to own an assault rifle?!!!
My thoughts exactly #9, and something be long advocated ! America is and can be an even greater Country , but OMG do they fo some daft things as a Nation

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4356
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Don't forget that America is historically populated by all those fanatical religious losers that we Europeans encouraged onto boats centuries ago because they couldn't get along with our modern European ways. Why would you expect anything else but nuttiness? It's in the genes :D

Remember the B Ark from Golgafrincham? Bit like that.

User avatar
hallamblue
Posts: 23991
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:13 pm

I Thought they went to Australia, DB ? 😁👍

Post Reply