ooh Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie Sears

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Steve and Jo

ooh Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie Sears

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am

Signing another contract for two years with another years option

Now i have nothing against Freddie Sears, if played in right position he is very useful, but seriously!!! Not even back until November

Here we are days from opening game and unless something else happens which we do not know about we make do with a player we have had since 2015 and not really let lit the lights up.

Not getting involved with arguments between members arguing over our wonderful owner, other than if this is the best we can do then is that really good enough?

derick_ipsw

Re: ooh Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie, Freddie Sears

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 am

Totally agree, cant see the point of this at all. At least wait till he is back playing and proved his fitness. :roll:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 am
Totally agree, cant see the point of this at all. At least wait till he is back playing and proved his fitness. :roll:
Don't always agree with you Derick but great point. Whats the rush to give a new contact?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:47 am

Giving players longer term contracts on league 1 wages as opposed to championship.... seems to make sense to me (and I’m not much of a sears fan...).

However I am getting pretty pissed off with O’Neil and Evans not getting the 3 deals done...! I’m sure the 4 players Lambert had ear marked would have guaranteed a squad for automatic promotion, instead we are gambling on even making the play offs.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:26 pm

I did think it was a bit odd us extending his contract when he can’t totally prove his fitness. I’d imagine he’s over the worst of re-hab and they can assess how it’s going. I think it’s been said he should be back on the grass soon and so should be now strengthening to match fitness level.

Lambert’s made a point of how contracts should be dealt with better and not letting players go out of contract, so I guess this is part of that. I would have thought we could have done this after he was playing again, though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 pm

People know my views on Sears, suffice to say, more disappointing news !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm

Sears is an adequate player, little more. Was the prominent striker in the team not so long ago but that's not really saying much when you're about the only viable attacking option in a squad or other names are so inept they don't warrant a mention.

Concur that signing a new contract is questionable. The kid doesn't even feature at the moment and won't be available for selection for weeks to come. I'd like to see him out there on the field of play doing what's expected, not agreeing to terms that may not be fulfilled. We got some new attack options now since May, is there any guarantee Sears could become again a regular starter in the team on return of others (that are) performing well or doing admirable out there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm

The laddie scored a few cracking goals last season before injury. Three were created and finished by himself. He was doing ok.

Lamberts thinking will be; by November, there is a reasonable possibility that everyone, including the canteen staff, will be injured. Sears will hopefully be available to step in. Lambert knows the lad can find the net and he can do it solo if need be; the proof is available. I like this news...... but....... his injury is exactly the same injury that I did to myself years ago when playing as a teenager. And my own knee packed in for good two or three matches after returning.

Hopefully Sears, with all the ITFC medical care, can come back in November and (if he doesn’t slip on the winter surfaces and completely fk the knee again) contribute to getting ITFC back to the Championship <——— where they belong!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:33 pm

My point is this, and again i have nothing against Freddie but Ipswich waited and waited not offering him a deal. In fact it was only because PL used the further 12 month option that hes still here.

Unfortunately he got injured and yes i believe he was top scorer with what then? 6 goals.

Why offer now, why not wait? If he comes back and set the world alight even Mike might be rubbing his hands :wink: . 30 goals in 166 league appearances isn't great, its not even good, nor average for a striker.

Without this contract he knows he would need to impress, now he has a cushion of 2 more years. Didn't a certain player who went to Sheffield United admitted he was in his comfort zone here?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:44 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:33 pm
My point is this, and again i have nothing against Freddie but Ipswich waited and waited not offering him a deal. In fact it was only because PL used the further 12 month option that hes still here.

Unfortunately he got injured and yes i believe he was top scorer with what then? 6 goals.

Why offer now, why not wait? If he comes back and set the world alight even Mike might be rubbing his hands :wink: . 30 goals in 166 league appearances isn't great, its not even good, nor average for a striker.

Without this contract he knows he would need to impress, now he has a cushion of 2 more years. Didn't a certain player who went to Sheffield United admitted he was in his comfort zone here?

A cynic might say we’re doing this to divert away from the fact we haven’t signed a CB or another striker yet. A bit strange that we’re messing around with Sears’ contract now whilst we should be focusing on bringing in more players.

That aside, I like Freddie. Just opinion, but, for me, he was the one senior player from the old era who upped his game last season. Mike would say that wouldn’t be too hard :) . Scored some good goals in a poor side. Not bothered about his scoring rate as he’s played mostly out wide. Would see him as a useful squad player rather than a starter.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Its more about the numerous chances he squanders than the ones he scores, I just don't think he's that good, never have, nothing against him but I just want something different, he may have been played out wide but still when in on goal he more often than not fluffs it.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm
Its more about the numerous chances he squanders than the ones he scores, I just don't think he's that good, never have, nothing against him but I just want something different, he may have been played out wide but still when in on goal he more often than not fluffs it.
Mike i totally agree, i think hes a good SQUAD player Just would rather him earn a new contract than been given one. Again hes now in a comfort zone

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:50 pm
Your right here BM, he's too lightweight and certainly not a left or right winger, when he returns and PL plays him, his probable best position is mopping up behind Norwood and Jackson, and that's it, no other position, but if our2 strikers are on fire, our midfield is probably sorted for the foreseeable future, I just cant see him getting game time in the league, maybe cup games, but as Derek said should have waited until fully fit and see how he goes in the under 23's, then if he has proven himself, a one year extension only, certainly not 3 bloody years, what were we thinking of, talk about waste of money if he's stays a flop like the last few seasons, sorry Freddie but you may have to be loaned out to another club ???

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:23 pm

Lol, we all have different views don’t we ....I think Sears will be a good player for us at this level for the second half of the season. I’m glad he’s signed an extension tbh .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:24 am

Personally I like this. I like Freddie too, his work rate is an example to all and he has talent and ability in bucketfuls. Hopefully he will be back in November but after this kind of injury I don't suppose he will be back to his best before the New Year, if not later.

It might seem a little odd to do the contract business while he is still in recovery but I would imagine that the club gets regular updates from his scans and other metrics relating to his recovery. Myself I take it as a signal that his recovery is going really well. I'm guessing that the cynic in me also thinks that maybe the deal is better for the club than it would have been if he were fully fit.

Also have we considered that if he had been fully fit then surely one of the Champ sides would have put in a bid for him?

In league 1 he should be one of the few members of our team that has too much quality and nous for the average opponents.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:59 pm

I am glad he has signed, a proven goal scorer in L1. His injury has probably been assessed and given the all clear. Just the rehab now. No brainier imo.