Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Backup with our first home win of the Campaign?

Ipswich Town Win
68%
Sunderland Win
11%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 19

Steve and Jo

Re: Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:23 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:07 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 am
Highlights for those that haven't seen them.....

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... highlights

That error certainly doesn't get any better the more you look at it, I thought Jackson looked better on the highlights than in real time.
Oh
My
God
:shock:

Why? Put it out for the throw in. There probably wasn’t even any shout from Holy or anyone else because it was blatantly obvious what to do. Chambo, note to yourself; must do better.
Or if Derick is writing the note; “must go get yerself to f#%k, you useless #%*^ing &#%t.

And now watched Jackson’s “dive” four times. That’s a penalty. Refs making a Cnut of it first game at PR? No surprise there.
It was a deffo penalty, I just didn't want to be the first Blue Tinted tosser to say it.

Chambers made a clanger, worse mistake i hope we ALL hope he makes all season. It was a terrible miss judgement from him. Paul Lambert says this also. Okay Luke, you made terrible mistake. He is human and we all make mistakes, better players than Luke have tried to shield the ball out of play and came a cropper for it. Kick the bloody ball into touch but he didn't. Bet he is reliving that mistake time and time again.

Thing is we should of been out of sight by then. We had enough shots at goal, we were brilliant. No idea what the ref was on. Booking Jackson for a dive!! No dive he was bundled over. Sunderland got out of jail but we keep on about that mistake from Chambers

If Luke make a goal line clearance or scores a vital goal or do something that wins us the game this season will the members here who so quickly rushed in to jump on his back then applaud him?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 pm

In a nutshell.....NO !!! Lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:42 pm
Sunderland got out of jail but we keep on about that mistake from Chambers

If Luke make a goal line clearance or scores a vital goal or do something that wins us the game this season will the members here who so quickly rushed in to jump on his back then applaud him?
Ah man, sorry Steve & Jo, you're just way too soon for a post like that. Still too raw at being robbed of the two points by a guy making a primary 7 error. To say you're farting against thunder with that post is an understatement.

Always applaud players though when they're on form doing good things week in, week out. Like any job, they're paid (paid well) and they'll earn respect when they stop making (consistent) mistakes.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 pm
And that to me sums up a lot of members here Mike

I read loads of bull on about Evens for and against him. That's fine but it gets personal and here we are one mistake from Chambers and the knifes are out, the claws are sharpen and the teeth get stuck in

I love Ipswich Town, Cut me i bleed blue and white. All i want is for us to play attractive football and get to where we all hope to be, the Premiership. Listening, reading to some members all they want is any reason to get stuck into a Ipswich Town player.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:42 pm
Sunderland got out of jail but we keep on about that mistake from Chambers

Ah man, sorry Steve & Jo, you're just way too soon for a post like that. Still too raw at being robbed of the two points by a guy making a primary 7 error. To say you're farting against thunder with that post is an understatement.

Always applaud players though when they're on form doing good things week in, week out. Like any job, they're paid (paid well) and they'll earn respect when they stop making (consistent) mistakes.
Marko any player at any given time can make a clanger. The great Steven G playing for Liverpool, the slip

So many, many instances but it works both ways. Luke knows he messed up, he knows it better than most. Bet he's eaten himself up by it. But some on here love it, chance for then to say "I told you so"

Okay great but lets see what happens if or when he really does something to win us a game
Last edited by Steve and Jo on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:52 pm
And that to me sums up a lot of members here Mike

I read loads of bull on about Evens for and against him. That's fine but it gets personal and here we are one mistake from Chambers and the knifes are out, the claws are sharpen and the teeth get stuck in

I love Ipswich Town, Cut me i bleed blue and white. All i want is for us to play attractive football and get to where we all hope to be, the Premiership. Listening, reading to some members all they want is any reason to get stuck into a Ipswich Town player.
Yep, couldn't have put it better myself.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm

Listen mate, I’m more on your side with the actual clanger thing....... it was a mistake, and yes they happen. But your post won’t be received well because everyone isn’t on the same page as you.

And I think it’s time to end the theories of “I told you so’s”......., there’s already been one massive uproar this past week and (for me) it WASNT about “I told you so’s” ; it was just strong opinions. As a result, people have left. Which isn’t good.
Let’s EVERYBODY bin the thinking that other people have “I told you so” attitudes. They may just be expressing opinions that are correct. And equally, they may not.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Listen mate, I’m more on your side with the actual clanger thing....... it was a mistake, and yes they happen. But your post won’t be received well because everyone isn’t on the same page as you.

And I think it’s time to end the theories of “I told you so’s”......., there’s already been one massive uproar this past week and (for me) it WASNT about “I told you so’s” ; it was just strong opinions. As a result, people have left. Which isn’t good.
Let’s EVERYBODY bin the thinking that other people have “I told you so” attitudes. They may just be expressing opinions that are correct. And equally, they may not.
Marko i hardly post in this forum for one reason and one reason only. To do with members attacking each other. I will not get involved with any member becoming abusive or attacking any other member no matter how right or wrong i feel they are.I am actually responding to a player

Roll back all i am asking is will these members who so quickly came out with knifes drawn actually applaud Chambers if he does anything to win us a game.
Please don't make a thing out of the "I told you so" because that was first time i said it and it is in relation to a player. Nothing more who seems can do no right no matter how hard he tries.

Edit, mod a post however you see fit but please don't put me into the trying to cause trouble brigade for i was only expressing my opinion and nothing more

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Your quote:
But some on here love it, chance for then to say "I told you so"
End quote.

Thats your opinion right there though is it not? And it’s stirring up sh*te. And you’re no doubt pointing the finger at certain individuals who “bleed blue and white” like you. That’s not really helpful for the forum is it?
It’s ok to say to a forum member that you think their abuse of a player is out of order, (that’s your right and no doubt justified in most instances) ....,but to suggest that some members are waiting on the chance to say “I told you so”, almost like “hoping” a player plays bad is absolute nonsense. And if those fans exist, then that’s a great shame. To any club who has them.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:39 pm

Chambers shouldn't be a 90 min player, in my opinion. In fact, I think he should start putting some hours in as a defensive coach. I believe that's what he eventually wants to do anyway.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:

No, no, no ! You get completely wrong S&J !

There are the different ways of judgement for each player among Town fans. Here on this forum, TWTD and everywhere on the social media. Get this Chambers' mistake from yesterday and the list of Town players from the last 2-3 seasons. If that mistake had been done by a different Town player from the last 2-3 seasons (a few examples are Douglas, Knudsen, Spence, Pennington) then some of those who defend Chambers would have been first to slate one of those players.

It's not like 'the knifes are out' when Chambers makes a mistake. He's been very poor for us in the last couple of years and this is the fact. Do you imply that he should he be a free of criticism then? Each player ought to be equal to any level of criticism/praise.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Each player ought to be equal to any level of criticism/praise.
I agree 100% with that. I feel that those who get off the lightest are often the home grown players.

However I do think Chambers has rightly taken stick for his error. I don't think he's got off lightly at all. I think sometimes the criticism for a mistake is a bit over the top as all players make them, it's just worse if you're a defender or keeper. Bluemike was often critical (rightly in my opinon) of Sears for missed chances which were just as costly as defensive errors but he took far less stick from others as he seemed to be a fans' favourite.

Personally I'd rather overlook the very occasional individual error and focus on consistent poor performance throughout a match or a series of games. It's why I was critical of our full backs last season who regularly failed to cut out crosses. Unfortunately some poor performers over a period of games last season were Chambers and Skuse, both of whom struggled to recover from injury. But all our players, regardless of age and experience, will make individual errors - otherwise they wouldn't be playing n league 1.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

No, no, no ! You get completely wrong S&J !

There are the different ways of judgement for each player among Town fans. Here on this forum, TWTD and everywhere on the social media. Get this Chambers' mistake from yesterday and the list of Town players from the last 2-3 seasons. If that mistake had been done by a different Town player from the last 2-3 seasons (a few examples are Douglas, Knudsen, Spence, Pennington) then some of those who defend Chambers would have been first to slate one of those players.

It's not like 'the knifes are out' when Chambers makes a mistake. He's been very poor for us in the last couple of years and this is the fact. Do you imply that he should he be a free of criticism then? Each player ought to be equal to any level of criticism/praise.

i totally agree he did make a mistake, no glossing over that because you can't. What my point is will there be any plaudits to when he make a difference and us winning or not losing a game.

He deserves saying he messed up, he did big time. Personally i'm not one to really have a go at any Ipswich town player but i do like praising when they do good

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:

Each player ought to be equal to any level of criticism/praise.
I agree 100% with that. I feel that those who get off the lightest are often the home grown players.

However I do think Chambers has rightly taken stick for his error. I don't think he's got off lightly at all. I think sometimes the criticism for a mistake is a bit over the top as all players make them, it's just worse if you're a defender or keeper. Bluemike was often critical (rightly in my opinon) of Sears for missed chances which were just as costly as defensive errors but he took far less stick from others as he seemed to be a fans' favourite.

Personally I'd rather overlook the very occasional individual error and focus on consistent poor performance throughout a match or a series of games. It's why I was critical of our full backs last season who regularly failed to cut out crosses. Unfortunately some poor performers over a period of games last season were Chambers and Skuse, both of whom struggled to recover from injury. But all our players, regardless of age and experience, will make individual errors - otherwise they wouldn't be playing n league 1.
Of course mistakes happen and will keep happening.

But in case of Chambers this is annoying/frustrating as he's been very poor in the last couple of seasons so we can't classify that one from yesterday as an occasional mistake. That's why I'm afraid he'll keep costing us points.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 pm

i totally agree he did make a mistake, no glossing over that because you can't. What my point is will there be any plaudits to when he make a difference and us winning or not losing a game.

He deserves saying he messed up, he did big time. Personally i'm not one to really have a go at any Ipswich town player but i do like praising when they do good
I can't speak for others but there will be plaudits from me when he makes a positive difference. Not special ones just because this is Chambers. Any player making a positive difference will get a praise as each one should be equal to a positive/negative judgement.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

I can't speak for others but there will be plaudits from me when he makes a positive difference. Not special ones just because this is Chambers. Any player making a positive difference will get a praise as each one should be equal to a positive/negative judgement.
that's fair enough

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

that's fair enough
If Chambers ever wins us back the 2 Pts he cost us on Saturday i will be straight on here to say well done. But, don't expect it to happen anytime soon S&J because you will be waiting for a long long time. :?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

Bollocks will you 🤣🤣🤣🤣

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 am

It seems that MPB paranoia about Evans is now spreading to Derick about Chambers.

I hope it's not catching!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm

I Did say many times at the end of last season and the beginning of this season that Luke Woolfenden would be our possible rock in defence, and chip in with a few goals like he did with Swindon, whether he will match the standards set by Kevin Beatty is yet to be seen, But I think he will be very close as he was a tower in the Swindon back 4 last season, in my opinion he can only get much better, but with the Chambers saga, I'm siding with Derek on this, he made too many errors last couple of seasons, and is still pretty slow and can get turned very easily, and leaves others to cover for him, drawing them out of position, I would put Wilson back in ASAP, and Chambers can start on the bench and brought on as a last resort, and as for the Tea pot League Cup we can get knocked out of this hopefully very quickly, hopefully by Luton, its the last thing we need is a run in this competition, we need to concentrate on League 1 top 6 or better, the FA Cup would be the better comp to try and make a few rounds, but with our overall team performance so far, which is very positive, I can see some team getting a right thrashing once we start firing on all cylinders. COYB

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Indeed you did big up Woolfy on numerous occasions so well done, he has really impressed me, always knew he had ability but he has exceeded early expectations. However comparing him with Beattie is taking it way too far, he will never be in the same League, nobody will.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:50 pm

I can't wait for Nsiala to be fit and team up with Woolfenden. For me they should be our 1st choice pairing. Chambers is a 100%er ( he gives his all) but basically isn't in the same class as Woolfenden and a fit Nsiala. And if we got another right back Donacien could be cover at Centre Back (Lambert has always said that is his true position)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 am
It seems that MPB paranoia about Evans is now spreading to Derick about Chambers.

I think it is Billy if you read this thread you will see if am not the only person on here who thinks he should not play. :wink:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am
Bollocks will you 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I will yes so Bollocks to you to. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Bollocks will you 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I need another chat with "The Blue Spook " I think

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:54 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm
barmy billy wrote:

I think it is Billy if you read this thread you will see if am not the only person on here who thinks he should not play. :wink:
I’m kind of in the thinking that he not neccasarily shouldn’t play, but should not be an automatic choice. And that seems to be the case just because he’s captain. There’s a reason he was suspended against Burton... because he made an error against Leeds, got sent off and gave a penalty away. And yet we won that game with 10 men and won also against Burton without him... YET he seems indispensable to some. Why? Just want him to put in some captain-like steady performances and that doesn’t mean shouting and fist-pumping and playing up to the blue-tinted ones.
Being fair.... apart from that ONE massive mistake that cost us two points... he looked solid enough.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Bollocks will you 🤣🤣🤣🤣
We might be down for the Shrewsbury game so you can have it then. :wink:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:36 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:17 pm
barmy billy wrote:

You have mistaken what i have said. I have never said Chambers should play or should not play, that happens to be the managers job.

What i am saying however is i am not the type to give a player whoever he is stick for making a mistake like was stated on here.

Make no bones about this Chambers blundered, he knows it, we all knows it but we have seen defenders trying to shield the ball out of play for a goal kick and come unstuck before. Just kick the bag of air out of play then worry about the throw in.

There will be throughout this season players making mistakes, that's football i'm afraid and yes i will scream from upper level of the Sir Alf Ramsey stand but that'll be it apart from comment on it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:55 pm

What bugs me is that I counted 5 or 6 errors from Judge with p*ss poor delivery into the box at a time we were putting them under pressure looking to win the game, for me they are all errors too and potentially cost us as much if not more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:15 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:28 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 pm
derick_ipsw wrote: