Who knows what this may be...?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Who knows what this may be...?

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Mark Murphy suggesting a big announcement for Town fans at 7am on his BBC Suffolk show tomorrow. No idea what it is - could be significant but more likely to be non-descript. Either way, there appears to be an embargo on it until 7am... new ownership? Beattie statue? New paint for turnstiles? Lets see...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Who knows what this may be...?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:13 pm

It won't be ownership for sure as it wouldn't be announced on a radio surely.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm

You would certainly think not. I suspect its the Beattie statue reaching its target but lets see!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

If you go on his twitter page, some of the questions being asked and suggestions are quite amusing...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:11 am

It is indeed the Beattie statue. The target has been reached - which is nice but not earth shattering news!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 am

It's really no news isnt it, I felt some time back that the statue should have been funded by the club anyway, a bit embarrassing for me.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:37 am

Breaking News to Ipswich fans that a venture, funded by the fans, has reached the target for it to become a reality???
Wasn’t there some kind of online tally and money target for funding fans to view for themselves?
So you fans donated to a proposed statue and were in the dark as to how things were going?? :shock:
And it took a “breaking news” thing to inform you all?
Weird.

But a Kevin Beattie statue will always be a great monument at Portman Road. ITFC Legend. RIP.

And he makes me think of another ITFC legend......, Hallamblue. Get yerself back posting soon.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:35 pm

imagine the statement " Local Ginger hair lad buys ITFC with his spare cash". dreams do sometimes come true,

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:54 pm

He should be able to afford it. He doesn’t really have any over heads apart from his guitar and beat box.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:25 am

A Beattie statue to go ahead, can't understand any build of epic proportion to make fans expectant. It's not as if they've found Jimmy Hoffa or something although for sure Beattie is - or was - a player of tremendous caliber.

Realized ahead of time it was nothing to do with ownership. As much as some would welcome it you knew damn well that area was in no way part of this issue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:21 pm

Seeing pics of the statue I have to say I don't see a great likeness facially and his legs look too thin. Bit disappointed tbh, hopefully the finished thing will be better.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:25 pm

I like the action depicted in the statue which is very much Kevin Beattie style, what is most disappointing for me is the lack of resemblance of KB facially, however after a little research this appears to be unimportant at this stage of creation.

When questioned about this here is the artist’s response...

You have previously stated that the head is the least important aspect at this stage?

As you can imagine, the head of my maquette is smaller than a brussel sprout and his eyes are the size of a grain of rice. Getting a spot on likeness is very difficult at that scale. I always aim to get a good resemblance but a good likeness at this early stage is not a priority. What is much more important is getting the balance, weight, flow and look right. Does the pose work from ALL angles and not just one? Is it a pleasing aesthetically for the observer? Does the pose work as a stand alone subject? These are the questions I ask at this stage.

I can also at the maquette stage make minor changes if it is required by third parties. ie move an arm easily, turn his head slightly etc.

A facial likeness is very much the most important aspect when the full scale statue is completed but at this stage not so.

Hopefully the fully competed Staue will resemble the brilliant footballer we all want to remember.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Cheers for that, I am relieved, teach me not to read the whole thing.