Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How we gonna approach this one?

Ipswich Town Win
6
67%
Tottenham U21 Win
3
33%
Draw
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Glad I made the effort to go tonight as really enjoyed it.
Ok we know this competition is bottom of the list in terms of priority but it always good to keep the winning mentality going. I know it is easy to go overboard about youngsters but Dobra certainly appears to have something about him and wouldn’t be surprised to see him involved more at first team level later in the season.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 16847
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:25 am

Guilty of saying its a "who gives a" game......., but I am 100% on board with everyone who's posting about that winning mentality. Completely agree and its great to read about different players amongst Lambos squad keeping that positive trend going. Hoping it all continues after the international break.

Normally i'd moan about the International break but the green side of Edinburgh really feckin "Heckin" need the international break.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:35 am

Not us though, 2 - 0 win at Ibrox Huns, need the momentum going and all.

Didn't realize Town had won this game until a moment ago, first impression well done, seriously that's a fine score even if it is something of a obscure competition many can't even recognize. First win over Spurs since 2002 if correct and that was 2 - 1 in a home game, (Alun) Armstrong believe got the winner, something that just stands in the recollection. Not really the same but got a victory over the same opposition name, there's a certain pride to take from it. Didn't expect us to do it but plaudits where it's due.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2980
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 am

Watched on ifollow, good passing game from both Teams, Dobra MOM how long will it be before one of the big boys snap him up. Minutes for Nolan and Huws, Kenlock had a good game as well. Down sides El Mizouni's delivery from 9 of his 10 corners awful. Also Norris in goal did not give me confidence. Thought there goal was soft went with his legs instead of his hands and went through his legs. Roberts scored 2 but is definitely not a striker.

User avatar
BLUEBLOOD
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

I went to the game with my Daughter and we both enjoyed the game.
Dobra was the star player on the night, gave the Tottenham defence problems all match.
Good to see Roberts scoring a brace last night will do his confidence good.
Gave a few of the players match time coming back from injuries.
Corners were bad need to get them improved from El Mizouni .
Simpson when he came on looked a big bulky player don't know much about him.
Over 5000 at match with 286 away supporters too.

tangfastic
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:54 am
Watched on ifollow, good passing game from both Teams, Dobra MOM how long will it be before one of the big boys snap him up. Minutes for Nolan and Huws, Kenlock had a good game as well. Down sides El Mizouni's delivery from 9 of his 10 corners awful. Also Norris in goal did not give me confidence. Thought there goal was soft went with his legs instead of his hands and went through his legs. Roberts scored 2 but is definitely not a striker.
Dobra was excellent. Brenner Wooley made the same point a couple of times on commentary about big clubs being interested in Dobra. I think he’s got a deal to the end of this season with another year option. Might be worth putting an extended deal on the table. He looks the real deal.

TBH ... he’s got a hell of a lot of competition in that midfield or out wide. He’ll do well to break into the first team. But from what I’ve seen I’d prefer him to Dozzell. Given the chance, I’d sell the over-rated Dozzell ahead of Dobra and I can see Dobra nudging ahead of Dozzell and El Mizouni in the pecking order very soon.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 3940
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:15 am

Dobra was indeed excellent. A good performance throughout, crowning it by setting up 2 chances that even Roberts couldn't miss.
It was good to see him (Roberts) score though.

I thought the first half was fairly even, just couldn't see us scoring. A few moments of neat passing but spurs seemed to keep us at bay better than we were. I thought if there was to be a second goal of would be against us.

Second half was a different matter. For 20 minutes we ripped into them and deserved the victory we nearly gave away at the end.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20826
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Alas I missed last night's game, won't be doing that again. Good to keep the winning mentality going. I was impressed with Dobra at Luton so to read such good things about him again is most encouraging, maybe we have a gem on our hands.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 3940
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:16 pm
I was impressed with Dobra at Luton so to read such good things about him again is most encouraging, maybe we have a gem on our hands.
I hope so too. I think we have to bear in mind his performances have been against what was effectively a Luton Reserves side and a very young Under 21 team, but he certainly looks good. A great first touch and pace. I hope he can get some minutes off the bench over the next few weeks.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:55 pm

4 wins on the trot. When was the last time that happened? Keep this up lambo and I might have to admit I was wrong about you. :wink: :lol:

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2372
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Just watched the highlights. Dobra is a lot stronger than he looks. I hope he gets some regular first team action. ME sign this one up!

tangfastic
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm
Just watched the highlights. Dobra is a lot stronger than he looks. I hope he gets some regular first team action. ME sign this one up!
That surprised me too. He’s playing against youngsters admittedly, but they were far bigger than him and he shrugged them off.The kid seems to be sticking his hand up to get a shot in the first team. A bit like Lankester last year. I’m not trying to pick on Dozzell, but you never feel he gives that bit extra to make a statement to the boss. There’s now a lot of competition for the bench, but I’d like to see him on the bench and it would send a message to his peers like Dozzell - and El Mizouni - that someone younger has leapfrogged them.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20826
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Having seen a couple of negative posts regarding El Mizouni I think it's worth remembering he too is a kid, he is a cultured player but will have off days, he came on at Burton and looked really good, then had another outing which I can't who it was against and looked ok, he also put in a peach of a corner for Chambers to head the leveller at Peterborough so I wouldn't be too critical after one iffy night.

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 2822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm
Having seen a couple of negative posts regarding El Mizouni I think it's worth remembering he too is a kid, he is a cultured player but will have off days, he came on at Burton and looked really good, then had another outing which I can't who it was against and looked ok, he also put in a peach of a corner for Chambers to head the leveller at Peterborough so I wouldn't be too critical after one iffy night.

did Will Norris play v the Spuds. If hes still at yours. lost track of him.

User avatar
trimleyblue
Global Moderator
Posts: 883
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 am
Location: Trimley St Martin
Contact:

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by trimleyblue » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Yes, Norris played in goal.

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 2822
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm
Yes, Norris played in goal.
Cheers Mate,I always rated him here and surprised we loaned him out, is he Towns No 2 or 3 in the pecking order,

Ando
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:01 am

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:36 pm
trimleyblue wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:07 pm
Yes, Norris played in goal.
Cheers Mate,I always rated him here and surprised we loaned him out, is he Towns No 2 or 3 in the pecking order,
No2 at present

tangfastic
Posts: 2216
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:04 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:53 pm
Having seen a couple of negative posts regarding El Mizouni I think it's worth remembering he too is a kid, he is a cultured player but will have off days, he came on at Burton and looked really good, then had another outing which I can't who it was against and looked ok, he also put in a peach of a corner for Chambers to head the leveller at Peterborough so I wouldn't be too critical after one iffy night.
Hardly being negative about El Mizouni. He only burst on the scene last year. He seems to have caught up to Dozzell who’s been around for years and doesn’t seem to be progressing. El Mizounis corners weren’t good the other night, though. Out of the three, I’d say Dobra is really sticking his hand up. I’ll be negative about Dozzell, though, as I can’t see him doing anything here and it might be time for him to move on (whilst he’s still playing for England under 20’s and ‘considered’ one of the brightest prospects so we get some kind of fee). And we also have El Mizouni and Dobra here who’ve made good progress over the last year.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2372
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Tottenham U21 EFLT Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:58 pm
Just watched the highlights. Dobra is a lot stronger than he looks. I hope he gets some regular first team action. ME sign this one up!
That surprised me too. He’s playing against youngsters admittedly, but they were far bigger than him and he shrugged them off.The kid seems to be sticking his hand up to get a shot in the first team. A bit like Lankester last year. I’m not trying to pick on Dozzell, but you never feel he gives that bit extra to make a statement to the boss. There’s now a lot of competition for the bench, but I’d like to see him on the bench and it would send a message to his peers like Dozzell - and El Mizouni - that someone younger has leapfrogged them.
Remember Eric Gates? He was about 4’6” and the toughest player on the pitch haha!

Post Reply