Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the International break helped or hindered?

Town Win
64%
Rovers Win
7%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:39 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:30 pm
Calling for his head John? Really? It sums it up it really does.

Makes you wonder aye, luckily enough most have now sussed to just ignore the fools, COYB & WWFC.

this reply by a Wolf hit the nail on the head "
"I've got no clue how I would fix it. That's why I'm just an IS consultant and not a premier league gaffer on **** knows how many grands a week."And if neither are you then your opinion on an internet forum has absolutely no value whatsoever"

We got a good hiding yesterday but its going to happen, looking on the bright side both our clubs could be back competing against each other next season , Donna misses our yearly trip to the home of the Pride of East Anglia. 8)
It does hit the nail on the head, we all love an opinion but they are worthless in the grand scheme of things.

It would be fab to see you and Donna again, it's been too long !!!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm

I guess we are back to the performance versus results argument. Yesterday was poor but it was, as Mach said, certainly might be first poor performance.

Doncaster closed us down quickly (helped by extra numbers in midfield) and also were quite physical which seemed to put us off a bit. A lot of our passing ( notably Kenlock and Downes) was very poor.

I've made no secret of my belief that Kenlock is a poor defender. I still believe people preferred him to Knudsen because he was "one of our own." However I have sympathy for him as he has no help in front of him. And towards the end of the game he did brilliantly when he was alone against 3 attackers, forcing the one with the ball wide and staying close enough to prevent him finding either teammate. It - along with an earlier Chambers tackle - saved a certain goal.

Its interesting that some feel we should have changed the system ..... Probably the same people who would criticise MM for trying to negate the opposition. I have to say I agree with Lambert; it's more to do with the players than the formation. If Doncaster had an extra player in midfield, we must have had an extra man elsewhere. But if you can't pass you won't find him.

I think in 7 games we have already seen 2 sides (Doncaster and Peterborough) who in my opinion are better than us and will finish above us. So we can either be look at results and say "Yes but we took a point off each" or look at performances and say we were outplayed in both games. I suppose both are true and the 2 points gained undeservedly are matched by the two points we deserved but lost to Sunderland.

I was looking forward to yesterday's game for two reasons. Firstly I was expecting an open game with lots of chances at each end. Sadly that wasnt the case. And secondly I thought it would give an indication of where we are likely to finish this season. After that I still believe we will finish outside the playoffs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Super post until the last sentence, get a bloody grip Andy 😂😂😂

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:08 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm
I guess we are back to the performance versus results argument. Yesterday was poor but it was, as Mach said, certainly might be first poor performance.

Doncaster closed us down quickly (helped by extra numbers in midfield) and also were quite physical which seemed to put us off a bit. A lot of our passing ( notably Kenlock and Downes) was very poor.

I've made no secret of my belief that Kenlock is a poor defender. I still believe people preferred him to Knudsen because he was "one of our own." However I have sympathy for him as he has no help in front of him. And towards the end of the game he did brilliantly when he was alone against 3 attackers, forcing the one with the ball wide and staying close enough to prevent him finding either teammate. It - along with an earlier Chambers tackle - saved a certain goal.

Its interesting that some feel we should have changed the system ..... Probably the same people who would criticise MM for trying to negate the opposition. I have to say I agree with Lambert; it's more to do with the players than the formation. If Doncaster had an extra player in midfield, we must have had an extra man elsewhere. But if you can't pass you won't find him.

I think in 7 games we have already seen 2 sides (Doncaster and Peterborough) who in my opinion are better than us and will finish above us. So we can either be look at results and say "Yes but we took a point off each" or look at performances and say we were outplayed in both games. I suppose both are true and the 2 points gained undeservedly are matched by the two points we deserved but lost to Sunderland.

I was looking forward to yesterday's game for two reasons. Firstly I was expecting an open game with lots of chances at each end. Sadly that wasnt the case. And secondly I thought it would give an indication of where we are likely to finish this season. After that I still believe we will finish outside the playoffs.
Moreover when we play 4-4-2 we keep using Judge as a left winger. One of the alleged reasons of his departure from Brentford was that he didn't fancy playing as a winger. So he isn't utilised as he would like to.

Number of our fans claim we have lot of quality in this league so given that theory we should be dominating games and playing much better particularly at Portman Road. Hope that Doncaster was one-off.

For some reason we remain unbeaten and that's a plus.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:39 pm

A change of system to match up to the opposition should not be seen as a negative. MM always set up to negate the opposition. You can also match up against the opposition to allow you to be more productive in possession.

PL is just being his canny self in his references to systems not winning matches. Anyone who has interest in tactics and or has managed a team will tell you formations plays a big part in football.

Sometimes it’s down to the players to make on field decisions during the game.
What I noticed on a couple of occasions yesterday was Kenlock trying to do one thing and Judge saying another when lining up in defence.

From my seat you can clearly see how tactics impact on the game and in my opinion our formation had a significant influence on our players performance.