Lambert contract talks.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20662
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Lambert contract talks.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Get this done

Town are reported to have begun talks with manager Paul Lambert regarding a new contract.

Lambert, 50, took charge at Portman Road a year ago this month on a deal which runs to the summer of 2021 and Football Insider claims that discussions have started regarding extending the Scot’s time at Portman Road.

Having been unable to prevent the Blues’ relegation from the Championship last season, Lambert has led Town to the top of League One during the opening months of this campaign, four points ahead of second-place Wycombe Wanderers with a game in hand going into the weekend fixtures.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2335
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:48 pm

I'm not sure Evan's will be in a hurry to extend Lambert's contract. Lambert still has two years on his current contract, right? I think ME will prefer to wait the season out, and then take a look at things. If we don't get promoted and our form takes a drastic turn, how many of you will still want Lambert???

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 11759
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:19 pm

To be honest No 9 even if the worst happened and we have a drop in form resulting in Lambert leaving, I can’t see us attracting a better manager than the one we have, so why not lock him in further with an incentive to get us promoted.

If we carry on being successful and another club wants to pinch him, which is always a possibility, an extended contract would bring more compensation in the event of him leaving for another club.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20662
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Exactly that Charny, we need to lock him in as for me it's a win win, I can only see this going from strength to strength.

hallamblue
Posts: 24128
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Signing Lambert on a longer contract won’t stop him going if he wants to leave ( ref narwich episode), but ( hopefully), it migh5 deter clubs looking to nick him from us because of the hefty compensation fee payable on a longer contract?

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 pm

100% agree with both Charnwood and Mike

For me the bigger boys will come running again if Lambert is successful and get us up. Even if we don't go up its going to be total disaster for us to get relegated.

Don't forget there were several people expecting us to drop another league and that looks very very doubtful now, unless of course we totally flop

Being honest i would look at some of the player contracts also in regarding to extending

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20662
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Yes Steve, where are those people lately? 11 unbeaten and we never hear from them, strange that.

Ando
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Ando » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 pm

I am not convinced a bigger club will come in for him. His CV in the Premiership does not set the world alight. I think his best chance of managing in the premier league is for him to take a team there. I can’t see why he would leave for a championship team whist he can still improve Ipswich.
Last edited by Ando on Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8769
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by saint jude » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:59 am

Got two years of a contract to see out, no need to offer extensions as yet. Last season was garbage and Lambert was involved for the majority of it.
Some won't be sold on the name even with the start made thus far. Reiteration is a waste of time but once again you look at Lambert's prior involvement with teams before here (within a managerial capacity)

Either walked out on clubs or went elsewhere and Norwich apart, his record is hardly glamorous at each other team he's been involved with. Unlikely an EPL side would now show interest or offer employment should the chance arise so that leaves remaining at lower level and continuing to improve. Will be candid, think he's overrated by many and perhaps some blinded by the start made since August. 5 wins in 45 games last season or thereabouts and a lousy record at each club he's managed other than Norwich would offer defense to potential skeptics.

Apologize unreservedly if people don't like it or beg to differ but as before got the right to opinion.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 3916
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:57 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Signing Lambert on a longer contract won’t stop him going if he wants to leave ( ref narwich episode), but ( hopefully), it migh5 deter clubs looking to nick him from us because of the hefty compensation fee payable on a longer contract?
Agree 100%.

The down side is that virtually every manager / club relationship turns sour at some point. The longer the contract, the greater the compensation they get paid when sacked. Hopefully we are a while away from that.

Seeing some of the above comments, I wasn't one of those predicting relegation. I don't recall anyone predicting that although I'm sure someone could trawl through the archives and prove me wrong.

However, I repeatedly said we wouldn't get promoted and I'm still not getting carried away. I'll admit I overestimated the quality of opposition, but I remember my dear old dad saying to me when Luton were plummeting through the divisions in the 60s that the difference between promotion and relegation is winning 1-0 or losing 1-0. So far we have been on the right end of 1-0 victories and I hope they continue. Although we defended quite well in those games, we won many because of the opposition missing good chances,, we could easily have dropped points in those matches.

I mention that because many are quite rightly happy with Lambert because he has reunited the club and because of the results. Those results could have been different and at some point we , like every club, will have a bad patch. Some fans will start to criticise the formation, the squad rotation, anything they think (with the benefit of hindsight of course!) that he should have done instead. If we did drop down to, say, 8th by the end of the season, how many fans would still want him tied to a 4 or 5 year contract? As we all know, financial constraints will be tighter next season.

I'm night trying to start an argument, just trying to put a balanced view. Long contracts are great for the compensation we receive if he gets enticed away, not so great if he gets sacked.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 am

Far as last season is concerned after the crazy signings of so many lower league players by the "Previous" manager. Yes lower league players we then became a lower league team

Great and fantastic managers such as Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and i will even say even Mick McCarthy not that the latter can be described as great and fantastic manager but still wouldn't of kept that squad in the Championship in my opinion, we lost all our goal power from previous campaign.
My point is you can only get the best out of players. If they are not good enough for that league and remember our team was majority of League 1 and League 2 then you are sinking like throwing a stone down a well and really it was not Paul's fault. Would you see Liverpool or Manchester City bringing in 8 or 9 Championship and League 1 players and expect to win the Premiership or even stay in the premiership?

So saying Paul Lambert was involved in that is not hardly being fair in my humble opinion.

What Paul has done is get the togetherness again and rebuilding a squad that hopefully will take us up and even hopefully better things. Its really fantastic feeling all around the stadium, now the moaning is about players making mistakes, missing penalties and so on. Its related to football on the park,where over past few years it was mostly at dugout and the directors box

tangfastic
Posts: 2157
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by tangfastic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:04 am

Funny how new contract talks always start when things are going well.

If we do well then a new contract won’t stop us losing Lambert if a decent offer comes in for him. I’m just hoping when he does leave, he leaves us in a good place.

It could be that Evans has started succession planning and has already lined up the next managerial team.

Image

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2913
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:21 am

He has 2 years left on a existing contract so there is plenty of compensation there all ready. We have played 11 games ffs why would Evans offer him a new deal now. If we get get promoted then yes a new contract then but to even think it now to me is all paper talk. The players will be wanting new contracts if PL gets one . I think it's a load of Bollox.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20662
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:57 am
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:37 pm
Signing Lambert on a longer contract won’t stop him going if he wants to leave ( ref narwich episode), but ( hopefully), it migh5 deter clubs looking to nick him from us because of the hefty compensation fee payable on a longer contract?
Agree 100%.

The down side is that virtually every manager / club relationship turns sour at some point. The longer the contract, the greater the compensation they get paid when sacked. Hopefully we are a while away from that.

Seeing some of the above comments, I wasn't one of those predicting relegation. I don't recall anyone predicting that although I'm sure someone could trawl through the archives and prove me wrong.

However, I repeatedly said we wouldn't get promoted and I'm still not getting carried away. I'll admit I overestimated the quality of opposition, but I remember my dear old dad saying to me when Luton were plummeting through the divisions in the 60s that the difference between promotion and relegation is winning 1-0 or losing 1-0. So far we have been on the right end of 1-0 victories and I hope they continue. Although we defended quite well in those games, we won many because of the opposition missing good chances,, we could easily have dropped points in those matches.

I mention that because many are quite rightly happy with Lambert because he has reunited the club and because of the results. Those results could have been different and at some point we , like every club, will have a bad patch. Some fans will start to criticise the formation, the squad rotation, anything they think (with the benefit of hindsight of course!) that he should have done instead. If we did drop down to, say, 8th by the end of the season, how many fans would still want him tied to a 4 or 5 year contract? As we all know, financial constraints will be tighter next season.

I'm night trying to start an argument, just trying to put a balanced view. Long contracts are great for the compensation we receive if he gets enticed away, not so great if he gets sacked.
Andy,

Or maybe you underestimated the quality of our squad for league one? I think there is zero doubt we have the strongest squad in this division and at present the League table shows it. I don't think when you say "we won many because the opposition missed good chances" is necessarily correct, I can count at least Six or seven James Norwood One on Ones that he should have converted not to mention Two penalties we have missed already, all excellent chances that we should have scored so I think the luck for and against evens itself out on that score.

I think Lambert reunited the club when we were not getting results, it happened last season and is intensifying this season with results forthcoming, it will only continue to grow and grow as each week passes, yes we will have blips but in my opinion there is zero chance of us dropping down to anywhere near 8th place, I don't see One team better than us nevermind Seven, hopefully that will prove to be the case. I saw a few days ago someone question the "when we get out of second gear" theory and does a higher gear exist within the team, for me and what I mean by that is at present we are playing really well for 45 minutes and average at best for the other 45 but are still winning most games, when we hit form over a full 90 minutes that will represent a higher gear and we will sweep a few teams aside. So for me in a nutshell yes I would try to tie Paul Lambert down on a longer contract even though they mean little in football, I still believe it is the right thing to do for hopefully a bit of loyalty from both parties and another sign of unity.

Oh and for the record, yes there were some that felt a second relegation wasn't far away but as I said it's gone pretty quiet on that score atm, maybe the first loss will bring them back here.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20662
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:56 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 am
Far as last season is concerned after the crazy signings of so many lower league players by the "Previous" manager. Yes lower league players we then became a lower league team

Great and fantastic managers such as Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and i will even say even Mick McCarthy not that the latter can be described as great and fantastic manager but still wouldn't of kept that squad in the Championship in my opinion, we lost all our goal power from previous campaign.
My point is you can only get the best out of players. If they are not good enough for that league and remember our team was majority of League 1 and League 2 then you are sinking like throwing a stone down a well and really it was not Paul's fault. Would you see Liverpool or Manchester City bringing in 8 or 9 Championship and League 1 players and expect to win the Premiership or even stay in the premiership?

So saying Paul Lambert was involved in that is not hardly being fair in my humble opinion.

What Paul has done is get the togetherness again and rebuilding a squad that hopefully will take us up and even hopefully better things. Its really fantastic feeling all around the stadium, now the moaning is about players making mistakes, missing penalties and so on. Its related to football on the park,where over past few years it was mostly at dugout and the directors box
Agree with that completely, he was pretty much powerless to halt it given the cards at his disposal.

I haven't felt the feelgood factor like this for years and it's solely down to him.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Long may the good feel feeling continue Mike

Am bracing myself though for when we lose for we will at some point lose. Then when lose the second game it'll be frosty in here.

Yes again we are playing in lower league now but what is happening the players are gelling together as a team. Can see it happening, players and coaching staff and us the fans are uniting. Well most are. Its like the coaching staff are in this together with the players and the supporters. When you have that togetherness and having the luck and yes skill then no telling just how far that can take you.

hallamblue
Posts: 24128
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:56 am
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:18 am
Far as last season is concerned after the crazy signings of so many lower league players by the "Previous" manager. Yes lower league players we then became a lower league team

Great and fantastic managers such as Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola and i will even say even Mick McCarthy not that the latter can be described as great and fantastic manager but still wouldn't of kept that squad in the Championship in my opinion, we lost all our goal power from previous campaign.
My point is you can only get the best out of players. If they are not good enough for that league and remember our team was majority of League 1 and League 2 then you are sinking like throwing a stone down a well and really it was not Paul's fault. Would you see Liverpool or Manchester City bringing in 8 or 9 Championship and League 1 players and expect to win the Premiership or even stay in the premiership?

So saying Paul Lambert was involved in that is not hardly being fair in my humble opinion.

What Paul has done is get the togetherness again and rebuilding a squad that hopefully will take us up and even hopefully better things. Its really fantastic feeling all around the stadium, now the moaning is about players making mistakes, missing penalties and so on. Its related to football on the park,where over past few years it was mostly at dugout and the directors box
Agree with that completely, he was pretty much powerless to halt it given the cards at his disposal.

I haven't felt the feelgood factor like this for years and it's solely down to him.
I can remember saying that if Town didn’t get their. Act together and sack Hurst, it would be too late for any incoming manage to act until the January window, by which time it would be too late as the gap would have grown to great. But it’s true Hursts downfall was trying to change far too much in the squad, too soon. He’d effectively made us a league one outfit over 4 weeks in the summer. He didn’t help himself by shipping out some of our younger players who did have Championship experience above those of his new recruits. But that’s all water under the bridge now.

You’re right Andy, managers at some point all seem to fall foul of getting club and for whatever reason will always be on their way. I think Evans is just trying to make it more expensive for any would be Lambert suitors I think Lambert, as Mike suggests, has been a breath of fresh air. To me, he’s been a miracle worker so far. Let’s try and keep him.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2913
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Lambert contract talks.

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:19 pm

As expected this rumour was Bollox and it was just poor journalism. PL says NO contract talks in his press conference today. :roll:

Post Reply