Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bounce back?

Ipswich Win
60%
Rotherham Win
40%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 10

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Rotherham UnitedImage

Wednesday 23rd October 2019 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts Mike

All Good Things......

Have to come to an end some time and so it proved Sunday with our visit to new bogey team Accrington Stanley, we won't be saying "who are they" anymore following our second inept performance in as many seasons, we certainly know who they are now ! Some would suggest the omens had already conspired against us prior to kick off what with Sky cameras in attendance and the so called curse of the International breaks messing us up big time, for me it is all a load of twaddle and has absolutely no bearing on our results whatsoever, for me it is more a case of Four key players being out for various reasons coupled with the manager on this occasion getting it totally wrong in the line Up and formation department, add to that the realisation that some of our squad players are not up to the level of first teamers Downes, KVY, Wilson & Norwood, that said the players that came in should, with all due respect to Accrington, have been good enough to get the right result, or at the very least put in a performance that was not just a tad embarrassing, unfortunately it didn't happen and we were well and truly second best for much of it and got what we deserved.

What I don't get is some of Paul Lambert's decisions, this one up front nonsense has proved often enough to not suit us at all and if we must play it Kayden Jackson is not a lone striker, for me Will Keane was the best bet for that role and yet despite just having a two week break was deemed not fit enough to start ??? We then need someone to replace possibly our best player this season in Flynn Downes so we opt for the ever unreliable Andre Dozzell instead of Emyr Huws who despite a Two week break was deemed not fit enough to risk ??? We then have to replace James Norwood so going One up top and one playing off him we opt for the woefully inept Alan Judge instead of either Danny Rowe who has played well prior to getting injured or the explosive Georgiou who has lit up Portman Road with a couple of cameo appearances, it just made no sense at all, we seem to have to try and fit Judge into the team at times no matter what and I am getting a bit sick of him if I am honest. So for me it has to be said we contributed to our own downfall in so many ways, nothing to do with Sky, International breaks, the weather or any other lame excuse.

While losing a game for the first time this season is disappointing it was always going to occur somewhere down the line, clearly Accrington were deemed cannon fodder by most of us but history tells us that is where Town often fail to come out on top, no game is easy that much is true and some of the nonsense already being written by the ingenious amateur scribes among us is truly hilarious, "Lambert doesn't know what he is doing" "I've never rated Lambert" "we'll be lucky to finish Mid table" just a few of the pearls of wisdom i've seen so far and while I have said Lambert got it wrong on this occasion for me those kind of comments and the goons that writhe them are idiotic, we are top after all, we do have a game after all, we have just been on a fab run after all, does all that suddenly count for nothing after a bad performance ? Get a grip for crying out loud, we were warned games would be lost or did we all really expect to go through the season unbeaten and play well every week ? Are we really that good all of a sudden ? No of course we aren't but as many pundits have said already, very few teams get relegated to League One and respond anywhere near as well as we have, we are still in a great place and will be fine.

A Quick Chance to Right The Wrongs

Defeat Sunday is not a disaster, it is how we respond to it that matters now, we don't want a blip to turn into Two poor results and run the risk of it becoming a bad run, thankfully the lads have a mere Three days before getting the chance to put things right and get back to winning ways, a night game under the lights at Portman Road against the Millers from Rotherham is not beyond us but we must approach it correctly, we must get our part of it right and we must go for it !!! I am sure we will, I don't want a One up front scenario again but if we get it then please play the right personnel best suited to it.

Rotherham have underachieved so far and find themselves in Mid table although they are just a mere Three points off the play off picture, inconsistency has been the name of the game with good results here and there countered with the odd bad one on occasions. There is no doubt they are one of the clubs that many fans think will be there at the death and they need to be taken seriously and respected, a win for Town would see us go a whopping Eleven points clear of a potential rival and even at this fairly early stage of the season that takes some clawing back.

I don't think this will be easy but I do think we need and indeed will see a reaction form the boys in Blue who will not have liked what they saw of themselves on TV Sunday, hopefully the players who missed out will be fit to return and in doing so that will make us much stronger, with the home crowd behind the team and raising the noise levels it's a narrow Town win for me by the odd goal, maybe 1-0 or 2-1. Let's get back to winning ways at the first attempt and stop the doom mongers from having a field day, keep them under their rocks !!!! COYB'S.

The Opposition – Rotherham United

Rotherham United FC (known as the ‘Millers’) was formed in February 1925 after the merger of two clubs, Thornhill United and Rotherham Town, who had been playing in the area since the 1870s.   
   
The club's traditional home was Millmoor in Rotherham, where the team played from 1907 to 2008.   
   
The red and white was adopted around 1928 after they originally played in amber and black, and Rotherham spent their time in Division 3, only just remaining in the Football League in 1931 as they had to apply for re-election.    
   
Immediately after the Second World War, things were looking up. United finished as runners-up three times in succession between 1947 and 1949 and were then champions of Division Three (North) in 1951. Rotherham reached their highest ever league position of third in the Football League Second Division in 1955.    
   
The club held on to its place in Division Two until 1968 and then went into a decline that took them down to Division Four in 1973. In 1975, they were promoted back to the Third Division, finishing in the 3rd promotion spot in the Fourth Division. The Millers won the Division Three title in 1981.   
   
During the 1990s, Rotherham were promoted and relegated between the Football League's lowest two divisions and they slipped into the Fourth Division in 1991, just two years after being promoted, but reclaimed their status in the third tier (renamed Division Two for the 1992–93 season due to the launch of the FA Premier League). They survived at this level for five years, never looking like promotion contenders, before being relegated in 1997.   
   
In 1997, just after relegation to Division Three, Ronnie Moore took charge of Rotherham United. His first season ended in a mid-table finish and then his second in a play-off semi-final defeat on penalties. It was third time lucky in 1999–2000, as Rotherham finished as Division Three runners-up and gained promotion to Division Two. They were favourites to be relegated in the 2000–01 season, but surprised many by finishing runners-up in Division Two and gaining a second successive promotion.    
   
Rotherham managed to remain in Division One for four seasons until relegation to League 1 in 2005.   
   
Early in 2006, it was announced that the club faced an uncertain future unless a funding gap in the region of £140,000 per month could be plugged. An eleventh-hour intervention by a consortium of local businessmen kept them in business, but they suffered relegation to League 2 and entered into administration in 2008, being deducted 10 points.   
   
Local businessman Tony Stewart then took over as Chairman for the 2008–09 season and took the club out of administration via a Creditors Voluntary Agreement, resulting in a further 17-point deduction. The Millers were subsequently forced to leave Millmoor, their home of over 100 years, for the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, after disputes with the landlords.   
   
Chairman Stewart appointed Steve Evans as manager on 9 April 2012. Evans got them promoted back to League 1 in the 2012–13 season. The same season also signalled a new era for Rotherham United as the club returned to playing home matches in Rotherham, at the newly-built New York Stadium.   
   
Rotherham gained back-to-back promotions by winning the 2013-2014 League One play-off final. Rotherham beat Leyton Orient 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw, having come back from 2-0 down.  

In the 2014–15 Championship season, Rotherham's first after a nine-year absence, their survival was jeopardised by a points deduction for fielding the ineligible Farrend Rawson during their home win against Brighton & Hove Albion, Farrend Rawson's loan had expired two days prior to the match, and despite the club insisting it was an external administrative error, they were subsequently thrown back into a relegation battle with Wigan Athletic and Millwall, but safety was secured in the penultimate game of the season, a 2–1 home victory against Reading.

Rotherham sold key players from their promotion winning campaigns before the 2015–16 season, including Ben Pringle, Craig Morgan and Kari Arnason. Evans left the club in September and former Leeds United manager Neil Redfearn was appointed as his replacement, being sacked in February 2016 after a run of six defeats in eight games.

Neil Warnock was appointed as manager for the rest of the season, and the club stayed up, finishing 21st. Warnock left the club in May 2016 after not agreeing a contract extension. Alan Stubbs became the new Rotherham boss in June 2016, but was sacked in October.

Rotherham replaced Stubbs with Kenny Jackett, who himself was replaced with Paul Warne, as Rotherham finished the season bottom of the league and were relegated to League One.

At the first attempt, Rotherham returned to the Championship, defeating Shrewsbury in the play-off final.

Rotherhams stay in the Championship was short lived however, along with Bolton and ourselves, they were relegated back to League 1 in the 2018/19 season after finishing in 22nd place.

The Manager – Paul Warne

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 1st place with 27 points

17 Sep Milton Keynes 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

21 Sep Gillingham 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

28 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Tranmere

5 Oct Fleetwood 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

20 Oct Accrington 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

Rotherham Last 5 Matches – Currently in place with points

21 Sep Rotherham 0 - 0 Shrewsbury

28 Sep Bristol Rovers 1 - 0 Rotherham

5 Oct Rotherham 4 - 0 Coventry City

2-0 12 Oct Blackpool 1 - 2 Rotherham

19 Oct Rotherham 1 - 2 Oxford Utd

Match referee – John Busby

IPSWICH TOWN 2 ROTHERHAM UNITED 1

arana peligrosa

Re: Ipswich Town vs Rotherham Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:58 am

First instinct was a tie but went with heart over mind and voted for us to win it. Rotherham have proved problematic for us over time, sure they won at Portman Road for a recent visit. Point being we seem to find it tough against this opposition regards finding maximum points.

It's essential the team hits back after the Accrington mess and with a game in hand over other challenges this does represent a very good opportunity to maintain leadership at the league summit. Need to get over any hoodoo the visitors may hold over us. Smash that cycle and get the momentum back on track. As before this is a golden chance to add three points to the cause, just go out and play to your strengths, the rest should take care of itself.

Town 2 Millers 0

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:14 am

some of the nonsense already being written by the ingenious amateur scribes among us is truly hilarious, "Lambert doesn't know what he is doing" "I've never rated Lambert" "we'll be lucky to finish Mid table" just a few of the pearls of wisdom i've seen so far and while I have said Lambert got it wrong on this occasion for me those kind of comments and the goons that writhe them are idiotic,

Bluemike can you just confirm that none of the above has been said on this forum? (Taken from your thoughts)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 am

Not speaking for Bluemike but I certainly haven’t read anything like that on this forum although I have read it on other forums.
But I suppose for every “Yin” on a forum, there needs to be a “Yang”...... I personally haven’t been on “Yang” duty for ages so here goes......
“Accrington Stanley? WHO? 🤦‍♂️Lambert the Fk out!”

Joke of course, and I suppose there are lurking Yangs here anyway with the two Rotherham win votes. Totally fine, their opinion.
Disclaimer: Yang is basically the opposite of the Yin ——> not derogatory at all.
Disclaimer 2: Wife started new Yoga class..... it’s all Yin and feckin Yang in the house of late! 🤦‍♂️

ITFC back to winning ways but slenderly. 1-0 win at Portman Road.

Ref caption:
“Look lads, stop time wasting. I’ve got school in the morning.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 am

No Derick, not on here, sorry I didn't make that clear mate.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am

I’ve gone for aTown win vs Millers, ( blind optimism on my part ), but I do think we will struggle if we don’t have the likes of Downes, KVY and Norris in the side. The replacements used at Acc Stan, were not stepping up to the plate, and I seriously doubt they will again if picked for Weds game. In fact I cant recall the last time I saw Judge , or Edwards play well for the team.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:31 am
No Derick, not on here, sorry I didn't make that clear mate.
Good, like Marko had already said, i had not read anything like that but you never no, somebody might of deleted the posts?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:26 am

Deletion of posts for being negative.. Hard to find a suitable response but then years back names here were issued cautions for it. No bullshit, it really happened, although instances were short lived / few and far between.

What was it, searching for posts that were say anti-Lambert but unable to trace them ? Not wading through histories but guessing that issue would have come to the fore in recent time. Been guilty this end, will admit it. Maybe it gets you nowhere, point being first and foremost it's what's best for the team. We all want progress but not going to arrive overnight. Tensions may arise, got to take it a game at a time, you can never plan too far ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:14 am

Don’t think ANY posts have been deleted for being negative, Saint. :lol: Certainly cannot remember in my 10 years posting on here, posts being deleted for being negative. Posts definitely deleted for unnecessary aggression or if there is any evidence of ANY posters seemingly being a target for other posters. I myself was asked by mods if I was targeting a certain “Manningtree” which I strongly denied as I wasn’t.

FTR, negativity can be very good at times, especially if it’s heavily weighted with facts in what’s been witnessed on the pitch. On this forum, both Bluemike & Mach Polish Blue offer fantastic match reviews that sometimes differ but both equally good reads and helps keep the average fans finger on the pulse and they allow opinions to form.

And as with every forum...... there are negative people who are just negative in nature.
“Got a flat tyre this morning. Guaranteed the washing machine will break down tonight.”
Those types of attitudes exist and quite a few post on football forums. That diversity is certainly what draws me to football forums. If it was any other way, most would be bored out their box!

Anyway......., hopefully tonight’s game is on the DuckDuckGo stream....., should be a good game tonight and I’d certainly like to see it.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:34 pm

Team tonight:

Holy

Wolfy Chambers Wilson

Donacein Huws Skuse Nolan Garbutt

Jackson Keane

If KVY, Downes and Norwood are fit they play instead of Donacein, Nolan and Keane but if there is any doubt don't play them because they get another 10 day break after Saturday with Town not having a fixture.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Please please please just dont let me see Judge, Dozzell and Edwards in the starting line up !!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Team looks like a flexible diamond ( Skuse being at pointy end of a diamond) or 4-4-2.

KVY back in with Wilson. Woolfy dropped and on bench.

Keane up front with Jacko... and Norwood on the bench. Downes on the bench, too. Rowe in for Judge. Huws in for Dozzell. Edwards benched as well. Nsiala and Dozzell not in the 18.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Trying I follow for first time. Purchased but I can’t seem to view anything. Any advice?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pm
Trying I follow for first time. Purchased but I can’t seem to view anything. Any advice?
Did you download the app? I’m watching from an iPad.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:08 pm
Please please please just dont let me see Judge, Dozzell and Edwards in the starting line up !!!
Your prayers have been answered
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 pm

FFS 0-1 Rotherham

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:00 pm

WTF happened for the goal? Chambo, Skuse, KVY and Hoky all at fault. sh*te.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:10 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:43 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pm
Did you download the app? I’m watching from an iPad.

Just downloaded the app but not available in Spain !?.... WTF’s that all about ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Buggering around trying to find a way to watch the game and I’ve missed the opening goal....!

Oh sh*t, I thought we’d scored not conceded....

Just hope our fine start to the season hasn’t come to an abrupt end !

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:19 pm

Has the ball been in play more than 10 minutes

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Turd. Think I’ll watch the apprentice at 9

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Just been looking at Rotherham’s away form and it’s pretty decent, only eight points won at home all season, the rest all coming on the road. This is not going to be straightforward.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:39 pm

Utter dogshit :evil: :evil: :evil:

Total lack of ideas and due to that they resort to the direct football and the Rotherham defence have no problems at all to deal with that.

Jackson and Keane completely starved of any service.

Rotherham in all honesty look far more dangerous on the counter attack.

Some changes are imperative at half time as the first half was unacceptable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:40 pm

On a positive note they’ve only kept one clean sheet on the road so far this season. 👍

Mmmmm, .... I’ve just remembered saying something similar on Sunday v Accrington ☹️

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Very poor need some changes and quick

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 pm

So disappointed, I thought we’d really be up for it tonight but clearly not the case.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Why oh why are we struggling so much, or is it simply we’ve been found out ?

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:54 pm

Well thats a bit of a damp squid 🦑

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 pm

0-2 crooks again

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 pm

SKUSE :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: