Why are our home results so much poorer than our away results ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Why are our home results so much poorer than our away results ?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:29 pm

I’ll be happier when I see our home performances improve and in particular our home results. At the moment our home form is worse than that of Portsmouth and Lincoln City who sit 16th and 17th in the table. If it wasn’t for our fantastic away form (probably helped by our fantastic travelling fans), we’d be struggling.

Can anyone put a finger on why our home results are so much poorer than our away results. ?

Home Form

P, W, D, L, F, A, Pts
6, 3, 2, 1, 10, 5, 11

Away Form

P, W, D, L, F A, Pts
8, 6, 1, 1, 14, 5, 19

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Why are our home results so much poorer than our away results ?

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:35 pm

I reckon it’s excitement, Charnwood.

Paul Lambert is promising these guys a bus tour through these places after the game. Cole Skuse is on record saying:
“These new towns are making us all very excited. We can hardly wait for Rochdale. I mean, does it get any better?”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Maybe it’s the teams we’ve played.

We’ve lost points at home to Sunderland, Doncaster and Rotherham. Decent sides - or were - when we played them.

Fleetwood are the only top side we’ve beaten to date.

Maybe we’re a better away side. Absorb pressure and punish teams on the counter attack.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Well Sunderland at home we killed them only for Chambo to make an horrendous rick which cost us Two points, Donny was a hard fought game which we did well to get a point from and Rotherham was our blip, the fact we've played two less games at home could potentially glean another Six points which would make our home form almost as good as our away form. The pleasing thing for me is that if we do get our home form going even more we will be in a very good place indeed, Six away wins already is the platform for promotion, no doubt about it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:05 pm

There is also the theory that our bloody fans can be very hard to please on an off day and the element of fear creeps in, I mean boos at the final whistle against Rotherham speaks volumes, some of them probably the same goons singing "The Town are going up " at Southend.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Maybe when we play away the atmosphere from the fans in more intense as they are all in one area and all want to join in getting behind the team.
At home games it's harder to get the whole ground excited and getting behind the team.

Ando

Post by Ando » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:02 pm

Away Teams set up to defend more at PR and if we don’t score first the game becomes even harder. Away from home we are attacked a little more hence we counter well.