Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another 3 pointer?

Rochdale Win
25%
Ipswich Win
55%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 20

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: Rochdale AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:39 am

Swift return home as it's been my closest away day this season. Is it a sign of something good when we win while not playing particularly well? That is not to say we were poor. Just a meh performance.

Pretty much deja vu of Gillingham or MK Dons matches where we benefit from the opposition's lack of quality in the box. However the credit must go to our central backs who stood strong and made Norris' evening relatively quiet in the second half.

First half disappointing to say the least. Apart from hitting the post and bar we hadn't had a shot on target and their goalkeeper had nothing to do. Too many pointless long balls. No ideas how to unlock their defence. Our main attempts albeit mostly unsuccessful had been coming from Rowe. At least he tried while we can't say that about Judge. The latter offered nothing in the first half.
Rochdale caused us a few problems and had they scored a goal from their couple of chances we couldn't have begrudged them. Their young kid Matheson who had scored a goal for them at Old Trafford in League Cup back in September was their liveliest player.

Guess the players got kick up the arses as we were very good and quick in the first 15-20 minutes of the second half. Got the deserved goal and unfortunately that wasn't followed by a real intent to put the game to bed. Yes Judge (who improved in the second half) launched a good shot saved by their goalkeeper, Jackson had one on one saved but for me there was no big drive to make it 2-0 and game over. The defence though was exemplary and kept Rochdale forwards really quiet. That is why Woolfenden and Chambers will have been my MOTM closely followed by Rowe.

Sooner or later though someone is going to score a late equaliser against us and if we keep playing like that !

It was a cold evening and before the game I said I'd take ugly 1-0 win as it was all about grinding out the result. Still though I didn't like that tension in the second half.

Rochdale certainly lacked in quality to make it tougher for us just like some past opponents but they made up for in spirit, drive and determination. We kind of looked like a side that has been getting by because we have better players than opposition.

All in all 3 points, back to the top but, but, but .... A few 'buts' from me however I'll stay quiet for now and enjoy the stats (7 away wins) and the league position ;)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:53 am

Wouldn't have been the best or most exciting display on show this night but bottom line it's a victory and the opposition failed to register. Always believed we would win and such it came to pass. Defeat by Rochdale seems something in the realms of fiction. So the players didn't perform as they should and it were a touch lousy or ineffective, forget that and concentrate on a job done.

Didn't realize they no longer played at Spotland. Crown Oil Arena is a better name but will it make them more accomplished. I guess not. 3,000 seems a lousy attendance particularly as a league-topping club were featured. How many traveled is unclear at time of response, given the journey and mid-week evening event maybe we didn't take as many as you would believe.

30 years back was live witness to my team losing 6 - 2 on 11/5, something that always seems vivid on this particular night. Was aware ahead of time such a scenario was "unlikely" to occur this time around but a little disappointed to learn we were perhaps ineffective at times or once again not playing as we should.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:05 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Norris .............Did not have a save to make, does not breed confidence for some reason.
Edwards...........He is not a right back, did better in 2nd half.
Chambers.........couple of good blocks, sloppy at times thou
Woolfenden .....looked solid enough, could of scored 2 what with hitting the post then missing with a glancing header.
Garbutt ..........hit the bar, had another long range effort saved did ok.
Rowe.............scored , looked lively going forward.
Skuse.............solid, broke up play and got things going for Town.
Nolan.............none existent in first half, better in the 2nd.
Judge ...........awful in the first half, had a good effort saved in 2nd still not convinced with him.
Norwood .......Frustrating night for him, never got a decision and ended up getting booked.
Jackson .........did a lot of pressing on there back 4. Had a 1 on 1 at the end.

Town's team for tonight.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am

[/quote]
if only we could achieve similar results at Portman Road as we have playing away we’d be walking this league.
[/quote]

Charnwood, if we win our two games in hand over Peterborough then we are 11 points ahead of 3rd after 17 games. You don't call that walking this league?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:43 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:32 am
Norwood banned for the Blackpool game after picking up his fifth booking. Even more important Keane gets game time over the next 2 cup games.
You sure Norwood’s banned? I thought this was his fourth yellow. Be a blow if he’s banned.

If he’s not banned already, he’s likely to pick up a yellow before the 23rd scheduled game (when the cards get re-zeroed). We’ve got some big games coming up so it would be a shame to lose him.

Typical Town win - not really playing well, but good enough to get three points. With Posh’s defeat last night, it has opened up a reasonable gap to third place . The table looks good today, I just wish we could steam on with some league games and not these cup games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 am

Really appreciate the player run down there, Derick....... But you're messing with our heads man!! That last one is a very slightly different red. Found myself not giving a fk about the players whilst holding the phone up to my face,

"That last one is different. That's not the same red. Looks more a pinky red. Maybe I'm going colour blind. Is it different? I can't tell. Oh, fk off Jackson."

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:07 am

For me Woolfy and Chambo were excellent last night, won header after header and block after block, nobody else really stood out it was more a solid if unspectacular team effort.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... highlights

For those who haven't seen the highlights.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:57 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:43 am
Ando wrote:
Norwood banned for the Blackpool game after picking up his fifth booking. Even more important Keane gets game time over the next 2 cup games.
You sure Norwood’s banned? I thought this was his fourth yellow. Be a blow if he’s banned.

If he’s not banned already, he’s likely to pick up a yellow before the 23rd scheduled game (when the cards get re-zeroed). We’ve got some big games coming up so it would be a shame to lose him.

Typical Town win - not really playing well, but good enough to get three points. With Posh’s defeat last night, it has opened up a reasonable gap to third place . The table looks good today, I just wish we could steam on with some league games and not these cup games.
Being a sad arse I've just looked back and Norwood has received yellows against Burton, Tranmere, Fleetwood & Rochdale, I can't see anymore than that.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:46 am
Really appreciate the player run down there, Derick....... But you're messing with our heads man!! That last one is a very slightly different red. Found myself not giving a fk about the players whilst holding the phone up to my face,

"That last one is different. That's not the same red. Looks more a pinky red. Maybe I'm going colour blind. Is it different? I can't tell. Oh, fk off Jackson."
Inks running out. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:57 am
tangfastic wrote:
Ando wrote:

Being a sad arse I've just looked back and Norwood has received yellows against Burton, Tranmere, Fleetwood & Rochdale, I can't see anymore than that.
Must admit I did too and can only spot four yellows.

With Norwood, you can see a yellow coming as he gets frustrated and is constantly gobbing of at the ref and getting niggly prior to the yellow. Once he gets one, he calms down and seems to be able to control himself. It’s like he needs that yellow to see sense.
If he gets banned, I hope he picks the right game to get banned. It worked pretty well for Downes - maybe the right game to miss before we play some big matches.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Yep spot on with Norwood but I guess it's what has made him what he is, I would quite like to see him booked against Blackpool so he would miss the FA Cup second round, assuming we beat Lincoln of course !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am
if only we could achieve similar results at Portman Road as we have playing away we’d be walking this league.
[/quote]

Charnwood, if we win our two games in hand over Peterborough then we are 11 points ahead of 3rd after 17 games. You don't call that walking this league?
[/quote]

Ask me again DB after we’ve played this run of fixtures;

16/11. Oxford United (A) 4th - 26 points
23/11. Blackpool (H) 8th - 25 points
26/11. Wycombe Wanderers (H) 1st - 33 points
7/12. Coventry City (A) 6th - 26 points
14/12. Bristol Rovers (H) 8th - 25 points

I think we’re doing well but I don’t think we’re walking it yet, and I certainly wouldn’t count games in hand as guaranteed points. You only have to look at our back to back defeats v Accrington Stanley and Rotherham to see how quickly points can disappear, after we won at Fleetwood we were top of the table 9 points clear of Peterborough who were back in 7th place, by the time we lost at home to Rotherham two games later, Peterborough were top of the table with Town 2nd.

As I said in another thread, when we’ve played the above games we’ll be in a far better position to know how good we are and the likelihood of promotion, but I think it’s too soon to think we’re walking it, especially when I keep reading how unconvincing our current form is and how lucky we are sometimes coming away with undeserved points. Sooner or later our luck will change and some of our 3 pointers could easily become 1 pointers as we’ve often seen in the past.

All we can hope for is that we can keep our run going, and any improvement in home form would definitely help.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm

If its of any interest, every week the Racing & Football Outlook (I get it for the stats and a football system that makes me a few bob most weeks) do a predicted end of season table for the 4 main English leagues and currently they have us winning the league with 83 points, 6 points clear of Wycombe(77), Rotherham on 75,Oxford 73, Peterborough 72 and Sunderland 72.
The RFO state:" Using the Outlook index ratings and True Odds,our points forecast offer a snapshot of how the ratings suggest the final league tables will look. Deductions not taken into account."
Apart from the Premier League where they have Liverpool winning by 11 points,the other two leagues are much tighter with West Brom winning by 2 points and Forest Green by a similar margin.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm
Yep spot on with Norwood but I guess it's what has made him what he is, I would quite like to see him booked against Blackpool so he would miss the FA Cup second round, assuming we beat Lincoln of course !!!
It weren't just the ref who came in for some verbals from him last night as Mr Edwards found out.
Amazing what you can hear when sitting near the front of a stand. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:18 pm
It weren't just the ref who came in for some verbals from him last night as Mr Edwards found out.
Amazing what you can hear when sitting near the front of a stand. :lol:
LOL Love it, someone needs to shout at Edwards, while he did ok going forward last night he goes to sleep when on defensive duty way too often.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Charnwood I do agree with you about the upcoming games. Our form up to now would suggest that the games in hand will bear 4 points. Obviously one of those games is the Wycombe one which it would be important not to lose.

For sure by Christmas we will be able to have a clearer idea.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:57 am
tangfastic wrote:
Ando wrote:

My mistake if fake news read it from a report on twitter

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Aha, the world of Twatter, explains it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:11 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am
[/quote]

Ask me again DB after we’ve played this run of fixtures;

16/11. Oxford United (A) 4th - 26 points
23/11. Blackpool (H) 8th - 25 points
26/11. Wycombe Wanderers (H) 1st - 33 points
7/12. Coventry City (A) 6th - 26 points
14/12. Bristol Rovers (H) 8th - 25 points

I think we’re doing well but I don’t think we’re walking it yet, and I certainly wouldn’t count games in hand as guaranteed points. You only have to look at our back to back defeats v Accrington Stanley and Rotherham to see how quickly points can disappear, after we won at Fleetwood we were top of the table 9 points clear of Peterborough who were back in 7th place, by the time we lost at home to Rotherham two games later, Peterborough were top of the table with Town 2nd.

As I said in another thread, when we’ve played the above games we’ll be in a far better position to know how good we are and the likelihood of promotion, but I think it’s too soon to think we’re walking it, especially when I keep reading how unconvincing our current form is and how lucky we are sometimes coming away with undeserved points. Sooner or later our luck will change and some of our 3 pointers could easily become 1 pointers as we’ve often seen in the past.

All we can hope for is that we can keep our run going, and any improvement in home form would definitely help.
[/quote]

I think you’re right about those upcoming league fixtures - they’re important as not only are they possible 3 points, but we can put some distance between some of these higher-placed clubs if we win. Or, if we get beat, we can get reined in and overtaken. We’ve had back to back defeats and that changed our status in the table position very quickly and the same has happened to Posh.
I’m looking forward to some of these games, especially the Wycombe one, as it adds a bit of extra spice knowing it’s a six-pointer. I have to admit I’ve got an eye on the the Posh results as I think they could be our main rival, so it’s great to see them lose again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 pm

That is definitely a key run of games which could see us pull or away or worse case rejoin the chasing pack but for me it is about just Two of those games, Oxford will be called off and I have confidence that we can do the business at home to Blackpool & Bristol Rovers, Coventry away is tricky and even a point from that would be an acceptable return, the big one is Wycombe who for me have over achieved, can they maintain it ? Time will tell but a win here would dampen the theory that we've "only played Fleetwood" so far, I would not be upset at a draw in this one either but clearly if we can reach a slightly higher gear it can be won too, should Ipswich Town really be apprehensive about Wycombe Wanderers ??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:06 pm

If PL plays his strongest team, we should be able to beat anyone in this division, on paper. However, when the game is actually played , many factors come into play don't they. The big scalp factor.... the siege mentality by opponents...our consistent failure to take the numerous opportunities in games which would put games to bed, (nearly every game I’ve watched, we are hanging onto a slender lead and “ hoping” we don’t offer them a soft goal). We certainly don’t make it easy for ourselves in my humble opinion.

With the quality we have in our squad I do tend to ask, why aren’t we thrashing teams more often and at least winning by 2 clear goals. Not every game, but it’s been as rare as rocking horse sh*t, that Town have put opponents to the sword.its almost disappointing in some ways, but then 8 look at the table and feel happy.