Dalian Atkinson - Officer charged.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Dalian Atkinson - Officer charged.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:14 pm

A police constable from West Mercia Police has been charged with the murder of former Town striker Dalian Atkinson, who died after being Tasered outside his father’s house in Telford in August 2016.

A second constable from the same force has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm. The two defendants will appear at Birmingham Magistrates Court later today.

An investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct led to the Crown Prosecution Service making the decision to press charges.

A spokesperson for the Atkinson family has issued a statement welcoming the move but added their "regret that already more than three years have passed since Dalian died".

Atkinson, 48 at the time of his death, joined Town as a youth player having been scouted by legendary Blues talent spotter Ron Gray during Bobby Ferguson’s time as boss.

The Shrewsbury-born frontman made his senior debut in March 1986 and went on to make 56 starts and 13 sub appearances scoring 21 goals before moving to Sheffield Wednesday for £450,000 in July 1989. Aston Villa, Real Sociedad and Fenerbahçe were among his other clubs.

Was such a terrible loss at the time but to have it now mentioned as a Murder makes it even more hard to understand.

hallamblue

Re: Dalian Atkinson - Officer charged.

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:49 pm

I hope they get the book thrown st them tbh. A Murder charge means there was “ intent “ to kill. I think from memory DA was actually suffering from some kind of psychotic event at the time of his assault? The barstards will probably get off with it too!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 pm

A mate of mine was violently assaulted by a police officer at Wolverhampton in the late 60’s on a Wolves v Town match day, the copper was subsequently prosecuted and jailed. I expect the same outcome for the copper involved in DA’s murder, assuming he’s found guilty which is would think is highly likely. I suspect the evidence is quite compellingly, without it I doubt a prosecution would have been brought by the DPP.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am

Is it really that cut and dry? Tasers are being touted as a great, safe policing tool, calls for them to be given to all police... I'm not sure if the police officer can be blamed of 'intent to kill', certainly from what I've read (which admittedly isn't everything), the public and officers being told they are safe to use, Dalian was a big bloke and this doesn't sound like he was sat in his garden sipping tea and knitting jumpers for orphans...

"Atkinson's older brother Kenroy said "My brother had lost it. He was in a manic state and depressed – out of his mind and ranting. He had a tube in his shoulder for the dialysis and he had ripped it out and was covered in blood. He got dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me."

Just imagine if the police officer is being made an example of because the police force or politicians don't want the heat.

"Tasers are amazing, give them to everyone"... man dies as taser is used too readily in self defence "Lock up the officer!!!".

I think it is very wrong to blame the officer without more evidence, none of us were there, there may be more reliable evidence out there that points to the officer being malicious, but I've not seen it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am
Is it really that cut and dry? Tasers are being touted as a great, safe policing tool, calls for them to be given to all police... I'm not sure if the police officer can be blamed of 'intent to kill', certainly from what I've read (which admittedly isn't everything), the public and officers being told they are safe to use, Dalian was a big bloke and this doesn't sound like he was sat in his garden sipping tea and knitting jumpers for orphans...

"Atkinson's older brother Kenroy said "My brother had lost it. He was in a manic state and depressed – out of his mind and ranting. He had a tube in his shoulder for the dialysis and he had ripped it out and was covered in blood. He got dad by the throat and said he was going to kill him. He told dad he had already killed me."

Just imagine if the police officer is being made an example of because the police force or politicians don't want the heat.

"Tasers are amazing, give them to everyone"... man dies as taser is used too readily in self defence "Lock up the officer!!!".

I think it is very wrong to blame the officer without more evidence, none of us were there, there may be more reliable evidence out there that points to the officer being malicious, but I've not seen it.
Exactly ... and another thing that hasn’t been brought up is the fact that DA was black. Not only do the police not want any heat coming to them regarding a person dying during an arrest, but they especially don’t want a potentially racially-motivated death by police hands. It’s possible that politically it’s easier to throw a police officer under the bus with a murder charge to avoid the repercussions that the police are racist. The police are also politicians as well these days. Or maybe the officer did use excessive force to the point where a murder charge was deemed necessary? Who knows? I just hope the real facts come out and there’s a reasonable verdict. Used to be innocent until proven guilty.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:29 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:14 pm
A mate of mine was violently assaulted by a police officer at Wolverhampton in the late 60’s on a Wolves v Town match day, the copper was subsequently prosecuted and jailed. I expect the same outcome for the copper involved in DA’s murder, assuming he’s found guilty which is would think is highly likely. I suspect the evidence is quite compellingly, without it I doubt a prosecution would have been brought by the DPP.
I thought murder was "PREMEDITATED" surely firing a Taser at someone can't be conceived as that?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:55 pm

I’m guessing there’s a lot more to this than what’s been made public so far.

I see today that the two police officers charged (one male, one female) have both had their anonymity lifted by the court.

I could understand unlawful killing or manslaughter charges, but murder suggests something far more sinister.