Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get to the 3rd round?

Coventry Win
9
60%
Ipswich Win
5
33%
Draw
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20811
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:35 pm

I agree with that team although Dobra could be involved

tangfastic
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:12 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm
Iinjuries totting up again. Let’s be sensible.

My team.

Holy
Donacien Wilson Nsiala Kenlock
Huws Dozzell Judge
Georgiou Keane Mizouni
Donaciens played the last four or five games recently, when players have been rested. Do we keep playing him to get more him into the groove of playing or rest him to avoid injury ( we don’t seem to have another obvious RB option ) ? I’d play him today BUT rest him for the EFL Cup game. I don’t know who plays RB for the 23’s, but could be a chink of light for a young kid of breaking into the first team whilst KVY’s injured.

User avatar
AylesburyBlue
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Team:

Holy
Donacien
Wilson
Woolfenden
Garbutt
Downes
Dozzell
Nolan
Judge
Rowe
Keane

Subs:
Holy
Georgiou
Edwards
Jackson
Norwood
Kenlock
Huws

Stronger than I would have liked...

tangfastic
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:22 pm

Has to be said, Lambo’s not go the strongest team out there, but it’s not too far off.
Options on the bench in Norwood and Jackson, too.
Downes is apparently the captain today.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:37 pm

Is Chambers just being rested? Or is he sick or injured I wonder.

Really nice to see Downes being given the honour.

User avatar
BLUEBLOOD
Posts: 2129
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Caption Comp 1 : Kid for a quid why did I buy so many....

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20811
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Stronger team than i thought, spot the Coventry fan, there isn't any!!!!

tangfastic
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Listening to this on the wireless, but there seems so little atmosphere. Sounds like just 2000-3000 there.

Ambrose just said it’s a very good game- maybe if there was more supporters it would feel that way.

No idea if we’re playing that well - but Ambrose says we’ve got a lot of possession but little chances.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20811
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Ambrose is a tit then, the most boring, non descript game I can remember, poor to say the least. Dozzell our best player, says it all. No real chances at either end, we are so toothless up front, judge anonymous and Keane pointless. Zero atmosphere. 0-0 written all over it so goals guaranteed now lol.

tangfastic
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Oh well.. last minute equaliser..... but it does sound as if we were hanging on.

Ipswich and trying to see out out a result.... it doesn’t work

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2976
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Another game we could do without

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1800
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Another game we could do without
Chin up mardy bum, that's an extra £50,000 in Evans' pockets. If we're lucky about £30 of that will go towards January's transfer budget!

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2254
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Bollocks 1-0 up through Kean, and they score in the 94 + minuets, did not want a replay :x why cant we score more, its our Achilles Heel at the moment, and two league games to catch up on, Bring back Daryl Murphy in Jan window.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20811
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:18 pm

Probably fair and for 15 mins an equaliser was coming, why the hell we sit on a lead i will never know, McCarthy all over again with that tactic.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4379
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Well at least we get another replay to keep our second string players warm ;-)

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1800
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Oh woops, I swear my thing said 1—0 FT...

Magicmark
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Magicmark » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:42 pm
Well at least we get another replay to keep our second string players warm ;-)
IF we continue with all these replays,the reserves will be on world clash form by the end of the season :D

patthegimp
Posts: 279
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:11 pm
Location: norn ireland

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by patthegimp » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:33 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:09 pm
Bollocks 1-0 up through Kean, and they score in the 94 + minuets, did not want a replay :x why cant we score more, its our Achilles Heel at the moment, and two league games to catch up on, Bring back Daryl Murphy in Jan window.
I agre entirely even though you may have been joking. We need a player capable of holding the ball up and feeding the others, can successfully compete for the high ball when needed and score the off one or two. Daryl Murphy's the man. COYB

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2367
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Murphy’s too old and injury prone. I do think we need another striker, but Lambert’s probably waiting on Freddie. And I doubt we’ll get a creative midfielder in January now that KVY is crotched. Georgie boy will hopefully p*ss off back to Mourinho, so I guess it’s possible we’ll get a loan in. Right now we have a big squad of shyte and I fear we’ll struggle the second half of the season without reinforcements. As Lambert says you don’t win anything in November, but you can certainly start losing. I used to love the F.A. CUP! I fkn hate it now!

User avatar
Mach_Polish_Blue
Posts: 953
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:07 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Just got back from Birmingham in the last half an hour and it really was a weird matchday experience. St. Andrews usually is one of the worst and most boring away days but it's been even worse today with the empty stadium and cold weather. Quite depressing experience for me personally. I haven't checked the stats but it's been probably the lowest 'home' crowd in our away game since Wimbledon away in 2002/03 when their fans had stopped attending matches at Selhurst Park.

Although the final result is frustrating it's a fair result and punishment for our minimal effort and trying to nick yet another away narrow win. I had said in my post-Rochdale report and 1-0 win that sooner or later someone is going to score a late equaliser if we keep playing like we do. Got away with the results at Rochdale, Gillingham, MK Dons and today it is 'only' been a cup game where we were punished.

First half was a waste of life for players and fans alike. Two poor teams unable to threaten each other. Coventry had a half chance at the beginning as Norris saved from the close range whereas Town as expected did offer very little. And 'obviously' Keane on his own upfront was separated from the rest of the team. How predictable it was prior to this match !

Our midfield was brimmed with 'creativity' but we never benefited from that. Nolan, Dozzell, Judge were doing lot of circles while not knowing how to unlock their defence. Keane lacked any sort of service and support. Best player from both poor teams was Downes as he looked like a mature and experienced one. And he was close to score towards the end of first half as he narrowly missed from the close range. Apart from that chance we never really stressed their goalkeeper out.

Second half was a bit better for us but it lasted only a few minutes until we scored. Pleased to see a very good cross and assist from Judge who is gradually improving following very disappointing first four months of the season and finally a Keane's goal. We scored and after that their goalkeeper could have gone home as we made no attempt whatsoever to kill the game off. We wouldn't have scored another one even with the open goal. Yes we tried to hit them on the break but that was really inept. Completely clueless when we were approaching their box. Few hopeless attempts but apart from that the rest of the second half was a sheer mccarthyism. Trying to make it narrow in defence, hanging on and hoping for a luck. No real interest to score a second goal and kill the game off.

Garbutt cleared the ball off the line so did Wilson five minutes from the end. To be honest our defence in general coped well with inept Coventry attacks but on the other hand credit to Coventry too because despite lack of quality in the front areas they kept going and going. And they were duly rewarded for their desire. Yes it was baffling as to why the ref added extra 5 minutes but you play till the final whistle. Norris made an impressive save and we thought that's it and we got away with that. Unfortunately seconds later very poor defending from our central backs was the reason why O'Hare had a lot of space to launch a shot and Norris had no chance.

Annoying and frustrating second half and how on earth is Lambert saying that we were 'comfortable' ? You are never comfortable with a narrow lead and we made no attempt to kill the game off. Coventry had a few chances after we had scored whereas we had none.

Few shots on target lately, not much creativity, mccarthyism is coming back but Lambert sounds upbeat. The leagues position is firmly behind him but I'm worried because if we keep playing like we do we'll be out of the top 2 in not so long.

Back to this awful place on Saturday and want to see a much better performance in terms of creativity and trying to hurt the opposition. Probably a wishful thinking but we'll see.

hallamblue
Posts: 24195
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:03 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:06 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Another game we could do without
Chin up mardy bum, that's an extra £50,000 in Evans' pockets. If we're lucky about £30 of that will go towards January's transfer budget!
:lol: :lol:

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 2976
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 am

Ricco wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm
Oh woops, I swear my thing said 1—0 FT...
Never mind Ricco. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
phily bon bon
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:08 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:41 pm
Just got back from Birmingham in the last half an hour and it really was a weird matchday experience. St. Andrews usually is one of the worst and most boring away days but it's been even worse today with the empty stadium and cold weather. Quite depressing experience for me personally. I haven't checked the stats but it's been probably the lowest 'home' crowd in our away game since Wimbledon away in 2002/03 when their fans had stopped attending matches at Selhurst Park.

Although the final result is frustrating it's a fair result and punishment for our minimal effort and trying to nick yet another away narrow win. I had said in my post-Rochdale report and 1-0 win that sooner or later someone is going to score a late equaliser if we keep playing like we do. Got away with the results at Rochdale, Gillingham, MK Dons and today it is 'only' been a cup game where we were punished.

First half was a waste of life for players and fans alike. Two poor teams unable to threaten each other. Coventry had a half chance at the beginning as Norris saved from the close range whereas Town as expected did offer very little. And 'obviously' Keane on his own upfront was separated from the rest of the team. How predictable it was prior to this match !

Our midfield was brimmed with 'creativity' but we never benefited from that. Nolan, Dozzell, Judge were doing lot of circles while not knowing how to unlock their defence. Keane lacked any sort of service and support. Best player from both poor teams was Downes as he looked like a mature and experienced one. And he was close to score towards the end of first half as he narrowly missed from the close range. Apart from that chance we never really stressed their goalkeeper out.

Second half was a bit better for us but it lasted only a few minutes until we scored. Pleased to see a very good cross and assist from Judge who is gradually improving following very disappointing first four months of the season and finally a Keane's goal. We scored and after that their goalkeeper could have gone home as we made no attempt whatsoever to kill the game off. We wouldn't have scored another one even with the open goal. Yes we tried to hit them on the break but that was really inept. Completely clueless when we were approaching their box. Few hopeless attempts but apart from that the rest of the second half was a sheer mccarthyism. Trying to make it narrow in defence, hanging on and hoping for a luck. No real interest to score a second goal and kill the game off.

Garbutt cleared the ball off the line so did Wilson five minutes from the end. To be honest our defence in general coped well with inept Coventry attacks but on the other hand credit to Coventry too because despite lack of quality in the front areas they kept going and going. And they were duly rewarded for their desire. Yes it was baffling as to why the ref added extra 5 minutes but you play till the final whistle. Norris made an impressive save and we thought that's it and we got away with that. Unfortunately seconds later very poor defending from our central backs was the reason why O'Hare had a lot of space to launch a shot and Norris had no chance.

Annoying and frustrating second half and how on earth is Lambert saying that we were 'comfortable' ? You are never comfortable with a narrow lead and we made no attempt to kill the game off. Coventry had a few chances after we had scored whereas we had none.

Few shots on target lately, not much creativity, mccarthyism is coming back but Lambert sounds upbeat. The leagues position is firmly behind him but I'm worried because if we keep playing like we do we'll be out of the top 2 in not so long.

Back to this awful place on Saturday and want to see a much better performance in terms of creativity and trying to hurt the opposition. Probably a wishful thinking but we'll see.

Thanks Mach for the report, pretty much as i feared, where are the goals gone, why so negative after taking the lead, why not start with two upfront. Another game we dont really need, i felt like if we were to progress it would be in the away game.

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 2821
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:31 pm

 Stronger team than i thought, spot the Coventry fan, there isn't any!!!!
Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:58 pm

……………………………….
if the attendance was only 2k + was there actually any Coventry fans there. :shock: how many Town fans went.?

MasseyFerguson
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:26 pm

Another game to be played. I really don't like that. For the first time ever i just want us to be knocked out of all cups and just concentrate on getting back up to the championship.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 20811
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 pm

Every other year we've all moaned about no cup run, now we are getting cup games we moan again, so its a draw and a replay, a replay we can win, the draw isn't great but it offers a real chance of round Four, let's embrace it and enjoy what many have craved and moaned about not having for years.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 3939
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 pm
Every other year we've all moaned about no cup run, now we are getting cup games we moan again, so its a draw and a replay, a replay we can win, the draw isn't great but it offers a real chance of round Four, let's embrace it and enjoy what many have craved and moaned about not having for years.
Agreed.

MasseyFerguson
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Re: Coventry City FC vs Ipswich Town FA Cup 2nd Round Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:06 pm
Every other year we've all moaned about no cup run, now we are getting cup games we moan again, so its a draw and a replay, a replay we can win, the draw isn't great but it offers a real chance of round Four, let's embrace it and enjoy what many have craved and moaned about not having for years.
Fair point.

Post Reply