Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town (EFLT) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we make it to the next stage?

Posh Win
62%
Town Win
23%
Shootout
15%

Total votes: 13

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town (EFLT) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 am

You was impressed with his defending ? I wasn't tonight , time and time again was out of position for me. But yes when he appeared a season or Two back he looked decent. But all that matters is our kids won, average age of the back Four in the second half was what 19 ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:42 am

These results are so good for the clubs well being and player confidence. I don’t know how long I’ve been harping on about trying to win cup games and building a squad with a winning mentality, at last it appears to be happening.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:58 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:57 pm
I wonder if Ferguson will blame Bolton?
Hahahahaha! :lol: 👏👏👏

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 am

Why am I not excited that we won?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:00 am

Town to do the Treble …. :astroll:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 am

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 am
You was impressed with his defending ? I wasn't tonight , time and time again was out of position for me. But yes when he appeared a season or Two back he looked decent. But all that matters is our kids won, average age of the back Four in the second half was what 19 ?
More his intent on the ball going forward, just looks like he’s got something about him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:23 am

It’s a good morale-booster. It’s gone a bit flat lately - so good for the club.

Mind you - we need to beat Coventry this weekend. Time we started beating other top six clubs.

Still underwhelmed by Huws. I know he’s had a long injury lay-off, but against teams like this he should be a class above. Maybe Roberts has given himself a chance to be involved more - perhaps out wide.

Can’t help feel Brent McGavin is going to be a good player. Can’t we get some decent loan moves for players like him?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:16 am

Tang, I agree about Huws, the first half last night he was poor beyond belief, pretty much everyone was moaning and groaning about him, in the build up to their goal he gave away the ball with a sloppy, terrible pass and moments later they score. As you say he should be bossing games like this, that said he improved quite a bit after the break and had a couple of good efforts at goal, but he should be getting back to something approaching his true self by now.

Do you feel it's gone flat ? I get why you say that but I'm not feeling it as flat, winning cup ties and still in a good position in the table, but for Two wrongly disallowed goals it would be feeling so much better, fine lines and all that I guess.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:24 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:32 pm
I agree Liz, invaluable experience for the younger lads. Like the look of cotter. Would like to see him go out on loan like woolfy did.
Yes I think a lot of our youngsters that played last night could do with a loan move like Woolfie did........I’d add Dozzell to that list as well btw.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am

number 9 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 am
Probably just because of the tournament itself, 9. Leasing dot com trophy? Least important dot com trophy maybe?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:16 am
Tang, I agree about Huws, the first half last night he was poor beyond belief, pretty much everyone was moaning and groaning about him, in the build up to their goal he gave away the ball with a sloppy, terrible pass and moments later they score. As you say he should be bossing games like this, that said he improved quite a bit after the break and had a couple of good efforts at goal, but he should be getting back to something approaching his true self by now.

Do you feel it's gone flat ? I get why you say that but I'm not feeling it as flat, winning cup ties and still in a good position in the table, but for Two wrongly disallowed goals it would be feeling so much better, fine lines and all that I guess.
I do feel it’s gone flatter, but maybe as to be expected after a fantastic start. I suppose we couldn’t expect the results to keep going our way all season. The biggest disappointment for me is our fringe players not doing enough. We get injuries or suspensions to key players like KVY, Norwood and Downes and we look so much weaker and toothless. We’ve had terrible refereeing decisions go against us, but we’re still not creating enough chances.That’s got nothing to do with shitty referees. There’s opportunities for the likes of Huws, Judge, Edwards, Keane, Rowe, Nsiala, Dozzell when they’ve come in and they haven’t taken them IMO. At the start of the season I’d have taken our current league position after 17 games so i can’t really complain.

As for Huws ( and Keane as well), there’s got to be a point where we’ve got to stop referring to their fitness levels and expect them to perform somewhere near 100%. They’re either fit and firing - or not in the squad.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Think I would give Huws more time, he had a very severe injury and was out for a very long time. I think it can take a lot longer for a player in this position to get their game back. It's not just fitness and confidence with the injury having been fixed, but also getting the game brain back into fluid working order.
Has he had 10 fully competitive full games yet? I don't think he has.
On the rotation issue, as PL says; the real benefit of this should come later in the season as we have a large squad of fresh players and other smaller squads begin to feel the effects of fatigue related injuries. I think we would be wise not to call this until the end of the season and base it on what has/hasn't been achieved.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Well if the highlights are anything to go by, then Cotter should never be allowed near the Town backline, maybe try and turn him in to a winger?

After just 8 seconds of the video he gives his man 20 yards of space and then dives in woefully, gets sat on his arse and removed from play. At 59 seconds he is again removed from the game, if you get a one two like that, then you immediately turn and sprint to stay goal side of your man... well Cotter doesn't.

2 chances that could have very easily have been 2 goals, schoolboy level defending, and not just in the overused sense of the phrase, genuine schoolboy level defending. Actually makes me angry, and that's only the highlights video, I'd be surprised if the only defensive blunders were those ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHJ6OggGik&t=7s
Last edited by Ricco on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 pm
Think I would give Huws more time, he had a very severe injury and was out for a very long time. I think it can take a lot longer for a player in this position to get their game back. It's not just fitness and confidence with the injury having been fixed, but also getting the game brain back into fluid working order.
Has he had 10 fully competitive full games yet? I don't think he has.
On the rotation issue, as PL says; the real benefit of this should come later in the season as we have a large squad of fresh players and other smaller squads begin to feel the effects of fatigue related injuries. I think we would be wise not to call this until the end of the season and base it on what has/hasn't been achieved.
Bang on for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 pm

Thanks Ricco, that is exactly what I saw in real time, im very defensive of Town at times but his defending is awful, I'm not going mad !!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:17 pm
Well if the highlights are anything to go by, then Cotter should never be allowed near the Town backline, maybe try and turn him in to a winger?

After just 8 seconds of the video he gives his man 20 yards of space and then dives in woefully, gets sat on his arse and removed from play. At 59 seconds he is again removed from the game, if you get a one two like that, then you immediately turn and sprint to stay goal side of your man... well Cotter doesn't.

2 chances that could have very easily have been 2 goals, schoolboy level defending, and not just in the overused sense of the phrase, genuine schoolboy level defending. Actually makes me angry, and that's only the highlights video, I'd be surprised if the only defensive blunders were those ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHHJ6OggGik&t=7s
Would have been a sensational free kick by Huws , IF he’d have aimed for either top corner. It was straight at the GK ffs!

Btw I agree with you ref Cotter., and I can’t help but think there’s a bit too much arrogance about his play. Even his winning penalty was “ celebrated”, in a rather over cool fashion, for someone that’s hardly kicked a ball for a senior team. All the other lads were doing their nut.

Still hopefully he’ll come good in the end. But not sure it will be with us if I’m being honest.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am
number 9 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:58 am
Probably just because of the tournament itself, 9. Leasing dot com trophy? Least important dot com trophy maybe?
Yeah I'm just more concerned with promotion...I'd hate to see a deluge of injuries from a flood of meaningless games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:38 pm

^ yep 👍 ^