Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Coventry Part II

Coventry Win
18%
Ipswich Win
55%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 11

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:03 pm

Well my 0-1 prediction is looking good but I’d never have predicted that line up. I thought with Norwood out Jackson would have been a cert starter. It seems PL thought we needed freshening up and it certainly appears to be working. I still don’t understand why Holy has been dropped again especially after his penalty save against Wycombe.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Normal service resumed.... 1-1

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:27 pm

We appear incapable of killing games off.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Goals goals goals..... that’s what we lack,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Back foot second half. Just know what is gonna happen

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Our possession has fallen significantly from 56% in the first half, is this because Coventry have stepped up a gear or because Town have tried to defend their 0-1 lead ?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Ah ffs - that was looking like a tasty little away win. The question is have Town got the goods to grab ‘another’ winner?

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:58 pm

1 shot on target again? We really have issues up front.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:01 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Not making excuses coz clearly Town not troubling the opposition goal enough, but didn’t we hit the post, which doesn’t count as a shot in target?

Anyway now it’s over. Feel a bit disappointed but spose an away point against a top 6 side is hardly a disaster...

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:36 pm
Our possession has fallen significantly from 56% in the first half, is this because Coventry have stepped up a gear or because Town have tried to defend their 0-1 lead ?
They definitely stepped it up after the break, but we seemed a different team in the second half. Why can’t we put decent halves together? Bloody frustrating- we should have been home and dry at half-time.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Just had a feeling the tide would turn after we should have killed it off by half time

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 pm
Bloody frustrating- we should have been home and dry at half-time.
Yep. Same at Easter Road today and I do believe Jack Ross told them that in no uncertain terms at half time. And then it was an annihilation job on the sheep second half. 3-0 going on 6 or 7. Not that anyone knows any different, but I think Paul needs to really earn his dough at HT and make this team better second half. ALWAYS be better second half.

Edit: Opinion only for the uppities......., sh*te result today. Regardless of top 6 team, away from home etc etc......., should be beating Coventry City home and away every time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:12 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Certainly could have been sharper up front, but I thought we wasted some chances when we got behind them out wide. There was a few occasions when an early ball in and we could have had a tap-in. Edwards and Jackson were culprits there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:20 pm

God knows how Keane didn't win it towards the end, all alone at the back post and fails to connect. Fair result, excellent in the first half, frustrating in the second but credit to Coventry too, they stepped it up. Not a disaster by any means

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 pm

Just as I feared at h/t.
Can see us doing what Sunderland did last season, not losing many games but end up drawing far too many.
You can’t see where the goals are going to come from, even with Norwood in the side I’m never confident that we are going to get more than 1 goal in a game.
Usually today’s result would have been a good one but with our home form being far from convincing these draws could soon catch up with us. Big game next Saturday and we really need 3 points from it.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Leaving St.Andrews and far from being happy.

Getting pissed off with Lambert. Same f**king pattern in every away game we score first. We then stop playing after scoring the first goal. We never turned up in the 2nd half and given that plus Coventrys total dominance we have to be relieved with the point. Same pattern time and time again. Baffling line-up, constant changing, completely toothless and abysmal in the second half. Not happy today.

I know it's only one away defeat so far but some of us had been voicing concerns after a few 1-0's when we got away with those wins.

Not against Lambert but not happy with his 'tactics' either.

Fortunately other results haven't gone against us but I'm seriously worried about the future if we carry on like that.

If Lambert thinks that his tactics are the way to win promotion then good luck to him. I’ll judge him at the end of the season but I’m not happy or convinced.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Fortunately other results haven't gone against us but I'm seriously worried for the future.
Yes but, Wycombe did consolidate first place whilst sitting in front of their fireplaces with their christmas trees on, and drinking hot chocolates.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:36 pm

There’s a long way to go yet, soo am not overly concerned yet. But it needs addressing quickly in the new year . We could easily slip down the table unless we start scoring. Let’s get out if the fa cup ASAP and concentrate on a settled team and get back to winning ways.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:24 pm
Leaving St.Andrews and far from being happy.

Getting pissed off with Lambert. Same f**king pattern in every away game we score first. We then stop playing after scoring the first goal. We never turned up in the 2nd half and given that plus Coventrys total dominance we have to be relieved with the point. Same pattern time and time again. Baffling line-up, constant changing, completely toothless and abysmal in the second half. Not happy today.

I know it's only one away defeat so far but some of us had been voicing concerns after a few 1-0's when we got away with those wins.

Not against Lambert but not happy with his 'tactics' either.

Fortunately other results haven't gone against us but I'm seriously worried about the future if we carry on like that.

If Lambert thinks that his tactics are the way to win promotion then good luck to him. I’ll judge him at the end of the season but I’m not happy or convinced.
PL will probably come out and say the players were wonderful and we played great. :roll:
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:00 pm

By the sounds of the first half he would be partially right.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Caption 1 Coventry show there new back 4 after hearing Wil is Keane.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Lambo the fk out......., Big Dunc in. Orchestrated a fine win for the Toffees today.

What do you think, Saint Jude? Everton to Ipswich? Is this possible? :D

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:06 pm

While I'm happy we are comfortably in the top two and an away point can be seen as positive, I'm just feeling an increasing lack of enthusiasm for this season.

I hate that we are in this division. After a really bright start we seem to be coasting now. Cup replays, draw after draw, 45 minutes of good football followed by 45 minutes of lacklustre fare. Maybe it's just winter blues and things will look up over Christmas. I hope so!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:10 pm

Holy shyte, Massey? 50 years of age and I always thought "coasting" meant doing really well without much effort......, like a rollercoaster after the first hill.

Are ITFC coasting? If so......, what does coasting really mean?

I thought they'd be "waltzer-ing" to the title.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:07 pm

Towns record over last 6 league games

LWWDDD

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:21 pm
Just as I feared at h/t.
Can see us doing what Sunderland did last season, not losing many games but end up drawing far too many.
You can’t see where the goals are going to come from, even with Norwood in the side I’m never confident that we are going to get more than 1 goal in a game.
Usually today’s result would have been a good one but with our home form being far from convincing these draws could soon catch up with us. Big game next Saturday and we really need 3 points from it.
Sadly She’d, I very much share your concerns. We seem to try and shut up shop once we get the 1-0 lead and withdraw deeper and deeper inviting opponents on to us . The end result is always an equaliser and then us hanging on for dear life .

For me, Something isn’t working from the midfield through to the striker (s) . This really does need sorting out - and soon !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Guy at the plumbing merchants recently came out the closet, Hallam. Think he joined the LWWDDD.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Let's not forget for Two of those draws we were bloody robbed of legitimate goals and with it 4 points.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Been unwell the past week, fallen behind with events to some extent. Caught highlights from today but it doesn't tell you nowhere near enough to gain a full enough understanding of what may have occurred. Seems we've played the same opposition away in the space of seven days and it's been level both times. Why did Holy not start in goal today he's our #1 choice in the position. You can't really dispute the start made, in second position with a game in hand and still involved in FA Cup stuff and that other EDFL thing that's arguably something of an obscure issue.

People saying we don't go for further goals when 1 - 0 ahead and play not to lose. Didn't see it myself but not an unfamiliar trait where the team is concerned. You could label Lambert as a type that may like to keep things defensive and not take risks, something McCarthy utilized to often nauseating effect. Some will view a trip to say today's opposition and taking away a point as a commendable score, others will see it as perhaps opportunity missed. Best guess the team will go about it's business quietly taking points where they can. We were never going to run away with this league but vigilance and belief should see the team right at the business end of it all.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:01 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:10 pm
Holy shyte, Massey? 50 years of age and I always thought "coasting" meant doing really well without much effort......, like a rollercoaster after the first hill.

Are ITFC coasting? If so......, what does coasting really mean?

I thought they'd be "waltzer-ing" to the title.
You are right, but it's a question of interpretation. We are going well without much effort but, given our start to the campaign, it's feeling very stale. We are doing just enough to stay around the top of this crappy league instead of putting inferior teams away.

The problem is that, sooner or later, this lack of ruthlessness could come back to haunt us. We should be going straight back up but I'm worried we'll get dragged back into the pack and could end up missing out. I really, really shudder at the thought of being stuck in EFL One for more than one season.