Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FA Cup 2nd Round replay Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we still in this Competition come January?

Ipswich Win
57%
Coventry Win
36%
Penalties
7%

Total votes: 14

JohnnyB

Re: Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FA Cup 2nd Round replay Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Garbutt’s popped up though

JohnnyB

Re: Ipswich Town vs Coventry City FA Cup 2nd Round replay Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Ah ffs - concentrate on the league blah

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 pm

PL needs to concentrate and get a settled 11 and style of play starting Saturday because if they lose again the natives will turn. Watch this space. :x

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:47 pm

Thats a relief but still dire, sort your sh1t out guys and PL get a grip of yourself!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Coventry voters are correct? :shock:

Coventry City winning @ PR isn’t really acceptable in any competition whatsoever.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm

Cold, wet, windswept, fed up, bored, cheated and embarrassed and that's just the good points. f**king woeful, didnt look bothered.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 pm

I just hate seeing us lose especially at home. We were the only home side turned over tonight in the cup and the way this is heading our season could well in tears.

in my opinion PL needs to start concentrating on our home performances because this is where we appear to have lost the plot and if he doesn't start taking this seriously I will never forgive him.

I'm sure i'm not on my own in wanting our League 1 experience limited to one season.

I hope Coventry draw a top Premiership Club away from home in the next round to make PL realise just how much it meant to win tonight.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Home form is certainly becoming a big concern.
Need to start turning it around quickly and the game on Saturday has become even more important now. PL it is time to stop this rotation nonsense and start picking a settled side.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 pm

It's a sad state when this once cherished Cup has been relegated to a second rate trophy. Most of the Premiership treat it as a joke, nobody cares if they win it or not, it's a bloody shame.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:37 pm

I’m actually glad we’re out of the FA Cup. It could be a blessing in disguise. Glass half full, remember! :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 pm
I just hate seeing us lose especially at home. We were the only home side turned over tonight in the cup and the way this is heading our season could well in tears.

in my opinion PL needs to start concentrating on our home performances because this is where we appear to have lost the plot and if he doesn't start taking this seriously I will never forgive him.

I'm sure i'm not on my own in wanting our League 1 experience limited to one season.

I hope Coventry draw a top Premiership Club away from home in the next round to make PL realise just how much it meant to win tonight.
Charny
I feel If we don’t go back up this season we will be stuck in League 1 for quite a while. For me this season is our chance and we have to take it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Exactly Shed, you and I are clearly thinking the same way and if exiting then FA Cup was our modus operandi we could have done that in the first round.

Sadly I’m beginning to think that Paul Lambert lacks the winning mentality that is so necessary to bring about success. He may well have brought back the togetherness in our football club lost by McCarthy but he’s clearly not a serial winner.

All I want to see is some passion in our home performances that some managers can inspire and some can’t.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:53 pm

Damn that was bad. And got soaked at the end which didn’t help. Lambert and the who,e team seemed like they really didn’t give a toss, I wish I hadn’t. Enough said.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:36 pm
Judge and Huws are a disgrace
Totally agree

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 am

I think PL’s honeymoon period is over. He now needs to start working seriously and start winning games convincingly at home. I don’t expect to see us win every home game, that would be unrealistic but we should be doing much better than we are.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:22 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:07 am
I think PL’s honeymoon period is over. He now needs to start working seriously and start winning games convincingly at home. I don’t expect to see us win every home game, that would be unrealistic but we should be doing much better than we are.
Certainly is, if Town don't win on Saturday at HOME, PL will know exactly what the fans think!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:06 am

It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Obviously, Lambo and the players are not that bothered about the Cups - so now he needs to start doing the business again in the league. Start that of by picking the strongest team against Bristol Rovers and win the bloody game.
It could well be we see the benefit of the rotation policy in February/March where our players are as fresh as a daisy, but by then we could have slipped back into the pack and we’re playing catch up. I think a settled side with minimal changes is the way to go. Let players earn the right to keep the shirt or to break into the first eleven.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:16 am

Norwood looked well off the pace last night. He just jumped into the defenders and got angry all the time. I don't think rotation has helped him at all. Huws and Judge were awful, Cotter was really poor at right back despite some nice runs forward, Edwards did zero, Toto is an accident waiting to happen and even Woolfie looked less than great. Very depressed about how we played

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:03 am

I think Norwoods the type of player who needs to be playing and scoring regularly. He’s an injury and suspension risk, but he’s someone who wants to be always involved and be the centre of attention. Unless he’s obviously injured, he needs to have a run of games and get back scoring. I think he’s not the same type of player if he’s wrapped in cotton wool and rested. Those early season Norwood-mania days seem a long time ago and I can’t remember the last goal he scored.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:06 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:03 am
I think Norwoods the type of player who needs to be playing and scoring regularly. He’s an injury and suspension risk, but he’s someone who wants to be always involved and be the centre of attention. Unless he’s obviously injured, he needs to have a run of games and get back scoring. I think he’s not the same type of player if he’s wrapped in cotton wool and rested. Those early season Norwood-mania days seem a long time ago and I can’t remember the last goal he scored.
Agreed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:55 am

I'm in favour of the squad rotation to a point, 2 or 3 changes now and again makes perfect sense to me but its getting ridiculous with what 7 or 8 every damn game, it's too much

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:55 am
I'm in favour of the squad rotation to a point, 2 or 3 changes now and again makes perfect sense to me but its getting ridiculous with what 7 or 8 every damn game, it's too much
Aye, well I think this indifferent run of form may make PL have a bit of a rethink.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:55 am
Surely too many changes must hinder understanding in the team. It’s like we’re putting too many players together who’ve hardly played before with each other. It seems like we’re building multiple teams at the same time and asking them to learn each other
games on the pitch.

Being fair, some of these changes are forced through injury and suspension, but every team has to deal with that. I think there’s been a few players getting games who’ve not deserved their place in the team (Edwards, Judge, Huws). Giving Lambert some credit - he given opportunities to all the squad with game time and they haven’t taken advantage. I just think Lambert has now got to be a bit tougher and say the shirt has to be earnt.

We’re actually not in a bad place. Second place with nearly half the season gone. It’s not a bad platform to finish the season from, but Lambert needs to get a more settled team and style of play.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:15 pm

We are in a very good place and its very much in our own hands but man I was pissed off last night, nothing to do with losing, or going out of the cup which as you say could be a blessing but when some players don't appear to give a sh*t is when I cant accept it. Judge, Huws, Nsisla and Edwards were a joke, Nsiala did one superb block, I'll give him that but those 4 need to seriously look at themselves.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Only got the score a moment ago seriously didn't know what occurred last night. Had a quick read through game reports and some reaction here and should feel some level of outrage or discontent but then realize this is in no way surprising.

Obvious the pr*ck Lambert and players couldn't give a rat's as* for progress here and they got what they set out for. A large percentage of the fanbase won't give a sh*t either, sure there'll be that initial reaction of displeasure but give it an hour or two and people would have moved on or put this issue out of focus.

It's simple really, the opportunity was there to make it through, enter the third rounds of the f**king thing and believe a favorable draw was waiting in January. Cue the obligatory f*ck ups, apathy and clear lack of interest and motivation and it's really nothing new. Irony is if it weren't for the opposition scoring in added time in the original tie a week or two back all this wouldn't have even been necessary.

6,000 also for a cup game opportunity with what should have been a regular victory over that opposition, don't know why bothering to provide thought on this issue but guess certain things from time to time need addressing. I won't get this time back.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:19 am

Why does anyone care about the F.A. CUP? Not now. Why? Let’s get fkn promoted! Stop whining about it. Fuk the EFL cup as well. Really?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:21 am

As I stated Tuesday night wasn't about losing or the FA Cup, it was about the terrible way we went about it and the apparent apathy from some players, wasn't good enough by a long shot. I put the f**king effort in to stand there in wind, rain and cold so the least I expect back is my team to do the same, for 85 mins they didn't give a toss.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:37 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:21 am
As I stated Tuesday night wasn't about losing or the FA Cup, it was about the terrible way we went about it and the apparent apathy from some players, wasn't good enough by a long shot. I put the f**king effort in to stand there in wind, rain and cold so the least I expect back is my team to do the same, for 85 mins they didn't give a toss.

.... and the real issue for me with that, is that apathy becomes endemic, and when you don’t give a toss on a Tuesday it becomes almost impossible to raise your game on a Saturday.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:54 am

I honestly thought they tried. I thought it was lack of ability rather than lack of effort.
Huws showed again' that he's not up to it, if he's not fit now I'm not sure he ever will be.
But once Cotter allowed people to go past him for both goals it was game over.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am

I saw too many times players not closing down, not competing for headers, not chasing loose balls etc etc, I didn't think some of them tried anywhere near enough but that's just me. I expect a reaction tomorrow and hopefully this time we wil get 5 or 6 changes cus it's needed on this occassion.