Lambert on Evans .......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Lambert on Evans .......

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:40 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/we-have-ou ... -1-6429463

Lamberts 3rd Paragraph in above article, was all that I was trying to explain on here in the “Sunderland thread”.

Whilst I like many other Town fans are not happy with our Club’s lot these days and see that all is not as we would like it , the simple truth is , we couple so easily be in liquidation as long as ago as a decade. Not the Club still exists and that is down to Evans.

I hate what football has become in this Country ( and likely globally) but I think we have to accept us mere mortals ( fans) are unlikely to change things in isolation. Action surely has to happen by those organisations that run the game and those that have sold the sport’s soul to Sky.

What do others feel about this ?

Andym

Re: Lambert on Evans .......

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:20 pm

I agree. I can't see it ever being resolved to be honest. But ME had kept us afloat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:26 pm

I've always said people that don't like Marcus Evans and what he represents or who don't believe he has honest intentions have a screw loose and while some won't take kindly to that it is my opinion and I care not. Without him it is almost certain we would have been another Bury FC, and despite One or Two trying to have us believe there was a buyer imminent in the City some time back (which was bull by the way) there hasn't exactly been a stream of credible buyers to take it on, I personally doubt there ever will be. Like him or loathe him we are dead without him.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:57 pm

I've always said that those who think a businessman is being anything but a businessman has a screw loose. Buying a football club was a risk that made financial sense to him, as has every decision he has made since. If he considered that the thing that made most business sense was asset stripping the club, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it.

99.9% of supporters are thankful Evans bought the club, but that doesn't mean they have to retain that view on all his actions since.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:57 pm
I've always said that those who think a businessman is being anything but a businessman has a screw loose. Buying a football club was a risk that made financial sense to him, as has every decision he has made since. If he considered that the thing that made most business sense was asset stripping the club, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it.

99.9% of supporters are thankful Evans bought the club, but that doesn't mean they have to retain that view on all his actions since.
Absolutely not, that goes for almost every person you may stumble across in life, nobody gets everything they want.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Lambert has said just that really hasn’t he Ricco .... has had many a head to head with Evans it seems . Done things he runs , other times Evans does. It’s actually refreshing to have a manager that is willing to challenge and state it from the football side of things . 👍
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:40 pm
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/we-have-ou ... -1-6429463

Lamberts 3rd Paragraph in above article, was all that I was trying to explain on here in the “Sunderland thread”.

Whilst I like many other Town fans are not happy with our Club’s lot these days and see that all is not as we would like it , the simple truth is , we couple so easily be in liquidation as long as ago as a decade. Not the Club still exists and that is down to Evans.

I hate what football has become in this Country ( and likely globally) but I think we have to accept us mere mortals ( fans) are unlikely to change things in isolation. Action surely has to happen by those organisations that run the game and those that have sold the sport’s soul to Sky.

What do others feel about this ?
Personally Lis, I think you may be needing one of these :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Lol just trying to stimulate discussion from the PL comments and his working relationship really John 😁

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:15 pm
Lol just trying to stimulate discussion from the PL comments and his working relationship really John 😁
I know that, you know that, and 97% of Town fans know that, but keep the hard hat near by seems good advice,

I would just like to add my tuppence worth, BRING BACK MICK, and CLIP BOARD 8)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:42 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm
hallamblue wrote:
I know that, you know that, and 97% of Town fans know that, but keep the hard hat near by seems good advice,

You'll be needing one of those bloody hats soon !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:13 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm
hallamblue wrote:

There’s many on here won’t even know what
“ tuppence “is!! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm

I would imaging you would have to google it as your one of the young set on here Lis

was good to see Pet Clark sing that song on, London Variety Show on the Telly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJVXZT ... P3Z5GEF9Tz

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tu ... &FORM=VIRE
feed the little birds, show them you care And you'll be glad if you do Their young ones are hungry Their nests are so bare All it takes is tuppence from you Feed the birds, tuppence a bag, Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag "Feed the birds," that's what she cries While overhead, her birds fill the skies All around the cathedral the saints and apostles Look down as she sells her wares. Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling Each time someone shows that he cares Though her words are simple and few Listen, listen, she's calling to you "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag Though her words are simple and few Listen, listen, she's calling to you "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:03 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Lambert has said just that really hasn’t he Ricco .... has had many a head to head with Evans it seems . Done things he runs , other times Evans does. It’s actually refreshing to have a manager that is willing to challenge and state it from the football side of things . 👍
Bingo! It is refreshing, where McCarthy took the approach of "its his club, he's my boss, I'll do as he wishes", Lambert has challenged him, in the correct way I may add, he's not been petulent or directly critical. I feel supporters are entitled to do the same and if they manage to keep the same restraint as Lambert and put their opinions and questions over in a reasonable debate then it can only be a healthy thing?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:04 am

..... and there’s that key word Ricco , “ restraint” . There’s little of it in the world of football it seems.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:06 am

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:37 pm
I would imaging you would have to google it as your one of the young set on here Lis

was good to see Pet Clark sing that song on, London Variety Show on the Telly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJVXZT ... P3Z5GEF9Tz

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tu ... &FORM=VIRE
feed the little birds, show them you care And you'll be glad if you do Their young ones are hungry Their nests are so bare All it takes is tuppence from you Feed the birds, tuppence a bag, Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag "Feed the birds," that's what she cries While overhead, her birds fill the skies All around the cathedral the saints and apostles Look down as she sells her wares. Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling Each time someone shows that he cares Though her words are simple and few Listen, listen, she's calling to you "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag Though her words are simple and few Listen, listen, she's calling to you "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag
Lol , how I wish John , how I wish :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:19 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:03 am
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Bingo! It is refreshing, where McCarthy took the approach of "its his club, he's my boss, I'll do as he wishes", Lambert has challenged him, in the correct way I may add, he's not been petulent or directly critical. I feel supporters are entitled to do the same and if they manage to keep the same restraint as Lambert and put their opinions and questions over in a reasonable debate then it can only be a healthy thing?
And yet Lambert says the negativity at 3 defeats is unbelievable so he doesn't seem keen on the fans voicing certain opinions.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:19 am
And yet Lambert says the negativity at 3 defeats is unbelievable so he doesn't seem keen on the fans voicing certain opinions.
I think he's saying that they shouldn't have that opinion rather than they shouldn't voice one!!

It's the way supporters go about it and as Liz says, some struggle to do it in the right way, but football is an emotive sport and the biggest moaners are also the loudest, they don't speak for everyone. Hopefully those at the club remember that and don't take it to heart too much, and also remember that it is many years of frustration being voiced, not just based on this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm

You're certainly right about the biggest moaners being the loudest. For me what's gone is gone, we all need to focus on this season and this season alone, keep dwelling on the past is pointless, it can't be changed but it can be damaging.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:17 am

Certainly true, the team performed well at the start of the season under a reasonable level of pressure from expectation, they now must do the same, we can't afford a blip to become club splitting.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:07 am

I wonder what Evans thinks about Lambert in private. He’s got every right to ask if he’s getting the best out of a very big squad. We’re getting to the January window and if Lambert comes to Evans asking for a couple of extra players then Evans has every right to ask if they’ll even play regularly or be rotated. By this stage, we should know areas to strengthen, but we’re still guessing the best team and/or best formation. Evans pays a considerable wage bill - why should he put his hands in his pocket to fund more players who might not even get reasonable game time or be able to fit into one of several systems.
If we can afford to put Jackson on the bench and Freddie coming back, then I can’t see us getting another striker. Similarly, if we can afford to put Donacien on the bench with KVY injured - can we justify another RB?

There’ll be transfer talk in January, but Evans has every right to turn around and question why he should be paying for an already bloated squad and why we should add more.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 am

Ive just come to ask myself , does Lambert keep a big squad , BECAUSE he is tactically unsure who is his best team? Therefore allowing himself many choices , which conversely gives him the problems he has now ( and had at Stoke / Villa??) . I’m not sure tbh!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:57 am
Ive just come to ask myself , does Lambert keep a big squad , BECAUSE he is tactically unsure who is his best team? Therefore allowing himself many choices , which conversely gives him the problems he has now ( and had at Stoke / Villa??) . I’m not sure tbh!
How do we get rid of fringe players to get a more streamlined squad?

Players like Judge, Toto and Edwards are under-performing and I can’t see we could get much interest for them. Huws and Keane are sick-notes and any other team would be wary to take them. I think we would struggle to offload fringe players.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Hallam, just me looking at the bigger picture, has he actually got the decent squad to pick a best team for this division, I think in January he will sign or loan the players who know how to get the points to get you up, probably not pretty football but its getting out of that league that's important

Only my opinion tho.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:17 pm

I think we do need a couple of players , but we have such a huge squad already , Lambert really does need to clear out done if them ( Jan wing is not ideal for this though ?) .

We appear to be linked with a Brizzle City midfielder , but a few Championship clubs are after him. So not sure we’d get him anyway. As Mike has said if Bishop could get his injured peppered arse in fear the problem of attacking creative MF wouldn’t exist. But that’s our ongoing issue isn’t it . Constantly suffering from long term injured players or players coming back from lengthy spells out .

I’m not expecting much positivity to happen in Jan window - we rarely do get a light bulb moment in this window at ITFC, other than losing one of our better players !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:16 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Players like Judge, Toto and Edwards are under-performing and I can’t see we could get much interest for them. Huws and Keane are sick-notes and any other team would be wary to take them. I think we would struggle to offload fringe players.

Exactly Tang. Who is going to want our underperforming and largely average, or injury prone players ? Lambert should have trimmed this squad in the summer, but didn’t. I don’t think much will happen in the window because we can’t off load. Why should Evans pay out more money for wages for even more players ?

It’s s tricky situation for Town at this stage in the season isn’t it !

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:16 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Exactly Tang. Who is going to want our underperforming and largely average, or injury prone players ? Lambert should have trimmed this squad in the summer, but didn’t. I don’t think much will happen in the window because we can’t off load. Why should Evans pay out more money for wages for even more players ?

It’s s tricky situation for Town at this stage in the season isn’t it !
agree it is a tricky situation, but I think a good win v Gillingham will settle things and the confidence of the team, that's the BIG word "confidence " Paul Lambert is a good enough manager to succeed at this level, cant think of anyone else :wink: ermm

I cant see Wycombe Wanderers staying there for long, COYB

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Hope you’re right Woolfie ...... Happy Christmas .... and LOVELY win yesterday btw . Cheered me up a bit 😁👍 xx

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:52 pm
Hope you’re right Woolfie ...... Happy Christmas .... and LOVELY win yesterday btw . Cheered me up a bit 😁👍 xx
Thank you.
yes East Anglia was echoing to the sound of " your going down with the Villa, down with the Villaaaa." music to your ears. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUv3thj-Gfc

you and your family have a great Christmas Liz