JAN WINDOW (Transfer news)

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

JAN WINDOW (Transfer news)

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:37 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/town-chief ... -1-6447523


Not what we would want to read...but none of us are surprised by this I’m sure. However, on giving it thought .....

I think the key point here is, Town don’t “ have” to sell. Again trying to look at the bigger picture, if we do decide to accept an offer, I think it will be at a level we consider appropriate and to which we ca; best use those funds to continue this Clubs rebuild, ( the bigger picture).

Evans hasn’t just given a 4 year deal to PL, not to support him in the very project he has brought him and his back room staff to Club for, in the first place!


Thoughts peeps?
Last edited by hallamblue on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:41 pm

No club other than Liverpool or Manchester City can rule out selling players, it's a sad fact of life and if the price is right it will happen. It's not about a lack of ambition but just reality of how it is for 90 clubs.

User avatar
nicscreamer
Posts: 1952
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:53 pm
Location: In front of my computer
Contact:

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Its a business... simple as that. If someone comes in with an offer of big money then of course we will sell. After all, we are a Div one club with at least two players who are attracting interest from higher up the food chain. I am sure that both Woolfie and Downes would jump at the chance to move up, and if the money is acceptable to Marcus then that's exactly what will happen.

I wouldn't blame anyone in the equation, as long as at least some of the cash Is used for decent replacements.

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:23 pm

Just a question here really guys:

If we have a fit Huws, Bishop, Nolan , Dozzell, and Skuse ( I know he’s in his last possible year) , would we actually
“ miss” Downes when he’s sold ?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 pm

YES, he's better than all of them.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 pm
YES, he's better than all of them.
FACT :D

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4097
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Andym » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:23 pm
Just a question here really guys:

If we have a fit Huws, Bishop, Nolan , Dozzell, and Skuse ( I know he’s in his last possible year) , would we actually
“ miss” Downes when he’s sold ?
Without doubt.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:44 pm

Sad to see so many resigned to this. How much money is promotion worth? A hell of a lot more than we'll make from selling our youngsters, I can promise you that.

Dazzz67
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Why doesnt O'Neill shut the F up! Yes he is stating the obvious, we all know the score but this sends out the 'come in with a bid' message to me, he is not the manager, PL is.

Our best players will always have interest so stop advertising, sorry all but he really is a todger :-)

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Towns linked with a striker , apparently.


Blues and Swindon Linked with Halifax Striker
Thursday, 2nd Jan 2020 17:36
Town and Swindon are reported to be among a number of EFL clubs interested in FC Halifax Town striker Liam McAlinden.

The 26-year-old has scored 10 goals in 20 league starts and six sub appearances this season since joining the Vanarama National League side after leaving Cheltenham in the summer.

According to Football Insider, McAlinden’s short-term Shay contract is up this weekend and plenty of EFL clubs - among them the Blues and Robins - have been alerted to his availability on a free transfer.

Cannock-born McAlinden, who won caps at U21 level with both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, started his career at Wolves during which time he had spells on loan at Fleetwood, Shrewsbury and Crawley Town.

In 2016 6ft 1in tall McAlinden moved on to Exeter, then after two years joined Cheltenham. Following stints on loan with Brackley Town and Kidderminster he joined Halifax in the summer.

Town would appear well covered for strikers at present with Freddie Sears having recently returned to the fold after injury, joining fellow senior frontmen James Norwood, Kayden Jackson, Will Keane and Jordan Roberts in the squad.

However, it is not impossible that Roberts could move on in January - the 25-year-old has made only one brief League One appearance this season - and that the Blues might look for an additional option up front.

Manager Paul Lambert has said on a number of occasions that Town may have to sell in order to buy during January, and has also admitted that offers can come in which can’t be turned down.

General manager of football operations Lee O’Neill says the Blues want to keep their most talented players but says that there could be scope for wheeling and dealing during the window.

"We want to keep hold of our better players and our younger players as long as possible to try and give us the ability to go to the next level,“ he told the EADT.

"If it's right in a business sense and provides the chance for reinvestment in the future, it's something we will look at. But ideally we would like to keep them at the football club as long as possible."

A month ago TWTD revealed that Fulham have been keeping tabs on Flynn Downes and QPR have been watching Luke Woolfenden.

The Blues are yet to receive any offers for any of their players with the transfer window having opened yesterday.

Ando
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm

I’ve said before it will be the money from our best young players that will lead to promotions. Simple fact, at least PL appears to have some sway in valuation and the decision making.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 8876
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by saint jude » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm

How much did we sells Mings for, six million or something ? Seem to recall the money received remained untouched or re-investment was a slow process. It's an easy line of defense but one last time I don't have an inroad into all the players we got on the payroll now but realize most of the team assembled are relatively new recruits and recent acquisitions.

Didn't I read correct that we were quoted as having the best team selection in the league in the not too recent past. If so why the need to sell and break up such structure. Simple answer guess the team isn't producing as it should and fifth place after being first is a testament to it.

Guess something needs to be done however moving players on we already got could cause more issues than a solution. Say again names need time to settle in and adapt to a different club set-up, point being could be rocking the boat instead of attempting to stabilize it.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm

Ando wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm
I’ve said before it will be the money from our best young players that will lead to promotions. Simple fact, at least PL appears to have some sway in valuation and the decision making.
If done correctly I won't argue with you Andy, but when have we done it correctly? We've had some big pay days in recent years (pay days that would dwarf anything we may 'make' in January), that were supposedly meant to be reinvested and be a boost for us, it led to the opposite of promotion.

I also think that if his veiled comments are anything to go by, PL has very little say in things.

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:51 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:30 pm
How much did we sells Mings for, six million or something ? Seem to recall the money received remained untouched or re-investment was a slow process. It's an easy line of defense but one last time I don't have an inroad into all the players we got on the payroll now but realize most of the team assembled are relatively new recruits and recent acquisitions.

Didn't I read correct that we were quoted as having the best team selection in the league in the not too recent past. If so why the need to sell and break up such structure. Simple answer guess the team isn't producing as it should and fifth place after being first is a testament to it.

Guess something needs to be done however moving players on we already got could cause more issues than a solution. Say again names need time to settle in and adapt to a different club set-up, point being could be rocking the boat instead of attempting to stabilize it.
Over £8m I think Saint

Ando
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ando » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:17 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm
Ando wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 pm
I’ve said before it will be the money from our best young players that will lead to promotions. Simple fact, at least PL appears to have some sway in valuation and the decision making.
If done correctly I won't argue with you Andy, but when have we done it correctly? We've had some big pay days in recent years (pay days that would dwarf anything we may 'make' in January), that were supposedly meant to be reinvested and be a boost for us, it led to the opposite of promotion.

I also think that if his veiled comments are anything to go by, PL has very little say in things.
Goes back to my post on another thread PL has in the main brought in better players than we had. Also PL appears on the outside to lock horns with ME therefore I believe he has some influence. I think the Judge saga was to do with PL and his opinion led to the stand off and hence no sale for the wrong price. Evans has seen the impact on the club PL has had and will value his views.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ricco » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm

I have a feeling the Judge issue was more him and PL and less about ME. Either that, or that was PL's one and failed joker card, ME doesn't have to listen to PL, that's the bottom line.

Just about to pop on here and see Rooney in the headlines with Derby winning thanks to goals by Jack Marriott and Martyn Waghorn...

We have sold a hell of a lot and the trend has been consistently and definitely downwards, it is a failed model.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 17540
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:08 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:18 pm
YES, he's better than all of them.
FACT :D
Jan Leeming is better than all of them.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 17540
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm
I have a feeling the Judge issue was more him and PL and less about ME. Either that, or that was PL's one and failed joker card, ME doesn't have to listen to PL, that's the bottom line.

Just about to pop on here and see Rooney in the headlines with Derby winning thanks to goals by Jack Marriott and Martyn Waghorn...

We have sold a hell of a lot and the trend has been consistently and definitely downwards, it is a failed model.
This actually reminds me of maybe around 2010/ 2011, when I was still relatively new on here......, was watching Soccer Saturday and ex Ipswich players were scoring everywhere on the vidiprinter......, I posted this fact on here......, got verbally abused by a few d1ckheads saying "it matters not".

But the regularity of players leaving and thriving can mean one of two things......., 1/ Stifled at ITFC for whatever reason, (managers no doubt) or 2/ Bryan Klug knows talent when he sees them (Waghorn aside) and how to make Mevans dough.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm

But surely every team has the same thing when an ex player scores ? Of course it matters not.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 17540
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:08 am

Well, if we have that outlook......, nothing ever matters in any subject at all. Conversation would cease to exist. :shock:

The point was, back then, the amount of players Magilton & Keane didn't rate and offloaded, were in fact decent players and were scoring regularly. It was incredible. At one point about 6 ex players were all on the same vidiprinter page.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 am

Yes I take your point, Wickham being the biggest one for me but as it turned out he is a crock.

Ando
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ando » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 pm
Ricco wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm
I have a feeling the Judge issue was more him and PL and less about ME. Either that, or that was PL's one and failed joker card, ME doesn't have to listen to PL, that's the bottom line.

Just about to pop on here and see Rooney in the headlines with Derby winning thanks to goals by Jack Marriott and Martyn Waghorn...

We have sold a hell of a lot and the trend has been consistently and definitely downwards, it is a failed model.
This actually reminds me of maybe around 2010/ 2011, when I was still relatively new on here......, was watching Soccer Saturday and ex Ipswich players were scoring everywhere on the vidiprinter......, I posted this fact on here......, got verbally abused by a few d1ckheads saying "it matters not".

But the regularity of players leaving and thriving can mean one of two things......., 1/ Stifled at ITFC for whatever reason, (managers no doubt) or 2/ Bryan Klug knows talent when he sees them (Waghorn aside) and how to make Mevans dough.
We got proper money for Waghorn and he wanted to go, so not much we could do there.

Marriott on the other hand was a young player and like Rhodes were really never given a chance. It’s the pathway to the first time that PL talks about is what’s needed. At least now if Woolfenden and Downs are sold they would command proper money because of their first team status, because they have been given a chance.

tangfastic
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by tangfastic » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 am

Ando wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:10 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:14 pm
Ricco wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:58 pm
I have a feeling the Judge issue was more him and PL and less about ME. Either that, or that was PL's one and failed joker card, ME doesn't have to listen to PL, that's the bottom line.

Just about to pop on here and see Rooney in the headlines with Derby winning thanks to goals by Jack Marriott and Martyn Waghorn...

We have sold a hell of a lot and the trend has been consistently and definitely downwards, it is a failed model.
This actually reminds me of maybe around 2010/ 2011, when I was still relatively new on here......, was watching Soccer Saturday and ex Ipswich players were scoring everywhere on the vidiprinter......, I posted this fact on here......, got verbally abused by a few d1ckheads saying "it matters not".

But the regularity of players leaving and thriving can mean one of two things......., 1/ Stifled at ITFC for whatever reason, (managers no doubt) or 2/ Bryan Klug knows talent when he sees them (Waghorn aside) and how to make Mevans dough.
We got proper money for Waghorn and he wanted to go, so not much we could do there.

Marriott on the other hand was a young player and like Rhodes were really never given a chance. It’s the pathway to the first time that PL talks about is what’s needed. At least now if Woolfenden and Downs are sold they would command proper money because of their first team status, because they have been given a chance.
I’d say hang on as long as we can with Downes and Woolfenden. Clarke, Mings, Webster went on to be 20 + million pound players, but it was other clubs (Championship clubs) who developed them and got the big money... or the proper money. We just got the interim sell-on price plus add-ons. These two are first-team regulars and among our best players. With the possibility of promotion, keep them here to give us the best shot of promotion and see what happens in the summer whatever happens (promotion or non-promotion).

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:35 am

Marriott returned to pre season it terrible shape and with attitude

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:17 am

He’d had numerous chances to get his act together, all professionalism related. The Club could only wait so long.

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:14 am
Yes I take your point, Wickham being the biggest one for me but as it turned out he is a crock.

...that’s unusual for a Town player!

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Ricco » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:33 am

I wasn't being specific with players, but have had similar views as Marko with ex players thriving, it's not luck that they're doing well and not getting injured elsewhere, so what is it we're doing wrong?

There's a glut of ex town players in the top 2 divisions, I know it's not reasonable to keep them all, but the talent that has slipped through our fingers for little return is astonishing.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21498
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 am

Managers letting Evans down for a fair few of them

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:02 pm

Not so certain we’ll be getting Garbutt I think . He’s out of contract and had been very good for us . I’ll put money on it he ends up at a Championship or even PL Club , sadly for us .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/472543/one ... -future/#0

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2329
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: JAN WINDOW

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:53 pm

:shock: Just heard that Glen Murray is up for grabs from Brighton, he's 36 years old, but he could do a great job in educating our strikers on how to find the back of the net, shall I buzz PL and let him know this availability, :roll: :roll:

Post Reply