The Goalkeeper dilemma

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

The Goalkeeper dilemma

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 am

This is the one single thing has baffled me and annoyed me most with Lambert, I just fail to see what is behind his thinking with the recent selection of Norris as Number One, there is the theory that Norris may have to play a certain amount of games but I don't think for one second Lambert would enter into anything where he does not have full control of team selection. Looking at the results of the Two keepers has me even more baffled, not to mention watching week after week with my own eyes it should be a no brainer as to who is in goal......

Holy..... Played 18 Won 9 Drew 4 Lost 5

Norris...Played 11 Won 2 Drew 6 Lost 3

For me the stats on this occasion speak for themselves, it is also not going unnoticed that the teams poor run pretty much coincided with the arrival of Norris as a regular starter in the first team and secondly Holy was only on the losing side when he began being in and out of the team, Holy's first Eleven appearances resulted in not a single defeat !! With a 50% win ratio for Holy and not even a 20% one for Norris I really am struggling here, especially when you factor in the terrible Norris howlers against Wycombe, Lincoln and to a lesser degree Pompey too. Get this right Lambo and we bloody well have a chance of getting back to where we were, Holy is our damn player after all and yet we seem more intent on pleasing a bang average loanee.

Ando

Re: The Goalkeeper dilemma

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 am

This is the one thing I don’t understand what PL is trying to achieve other than rotation. He brought back Holy for the first Wycombe game then left him out again. He saved the penalty surely the momentum was with him.

I say send Norris back and use the wages for something else.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am

Mike
Well you know my thoughts on the matter as I’m always going on about it when I see you. :lol:
Just seems a ridiculous situation to me and if Wolves are applying pressure for us to play Norris we should tell them to do one.
No doubt will see you later.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am
Mike
Well you know my thoughts on the matter as I’m always going on about it when I see you. :lol:
Just seems a ridiculous situation to me and if Wolves are applying pressure for us to play Norris we should tell them to do one.
I said early on that I wondered if there was pressure from Wolves to play Norris or maybe even written into the contract. Personally I prefer Holy but I don't think there's a huge amount to choose between them, but it's clear evidence of a player (Holy) bring dropped after a good performance. And after Norris's recent errors Holy must wonder what he has to do to get back in the team. I see little point in playing a loanee over one of our own players unless the loanee is clearly superior - which in this case he isn't.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am
Mike
I haven't come across anyone who prefers Norris, we can't all be wrong. Yes Tony cya later.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 pm

The thread title sounds like a great title for a Gene Hackman movie.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 pm
The thread title sounds like a great title for a Gene Hackman movie.
Superman ?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Got to agree.

There was a comment in the post re Bart that we don't have a clear first choice keeper.

My immediate thought when I read that was - 'Yes we do, hes the one not playing at the moment!!'

Baffled.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 pm

And not playing again today either

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

As a Tomas Holy fan I take great delight in ridiculing Paul Lambert at every opportunity over his ridiculous goal keeper selection policy which in my opinion has been an understated reason for our teams loss of form, loss of confidence and poor run of results. It’s my opinion that had Paul Lambert left Tomas Holy in goal we would not have dropped as many points as we have and as such we would be in a far more comfortable position in the table. When it comes to player selection PL is a complete clown and I can’t believe he’s been awarded a new long term contract.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 pm

The circus did ok today

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 pm

When the team scores four goals the goalkeepers performance becomes less important and even a couple of mistakes go unpunished.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Play Holy.
Bench the polish/ Welsh lad.
Shoot Norris.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 pm

May be easier to phone him a taxi 😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

What chance Holy plays tonight. After a 4-1 win Norris is bound to get dropped 😀