The Goalkeeper dilemma

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

The Goalkeeper dilemma

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:44 am

This is the one single thing has baffled me and annoyed me most with Lambert, I just fail to see what is behind his thinking with the recent selection of Norris as Number One, there is the theory that Norris may have to play a certain amount of games but I don't think for one second Lambert would enter into anything where he does not have full control of team selection. Looking at the results of the Two keepers has me even more baffled, not to mention watching week after week with my own eyes it should be a no brainer as to who is in goal......

Holy..... Played 18 Won 9 Drew 4 Lost 5

Norris...Played 11 Won 2 Drew 6 Lost 3

For me the stats on this occasion speak for themselves, it is also not going unnoticed that the teams poor run pretty much coincided with the arrival of Norris as a regular starter in the first team and secondly Holy was only on the losing side when he began being in and out of the team, Holy's first Eleven appearances resulted in not a single defeat !! With a 50% win ratio for Holy and not even a 20% one for Norris I really am struggling here, especially when you factor in the terrible Norris howlers against Wycombe, Lincoln and to a lesser degree Pompey too. Get this right Lambo and we bloody well have a chance of getting back to where we were, Holy is our damn player after all and yet we seem more intent on pleasing a bang average loanee.

Ando

Re: The Goalkeeper dilemma

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 am

This is the one thing I don’t understand what PL is trying to achieve other than rotation. He brought back Holy for the first Wycombe game then left him out again. He saved the penalty surely the momentum was with him.

I say send Norris back and use the wages for something else.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am

Mike
Well you know my thoughts on the matter as I’m always going on about it when I see you. :lol:
Just seems a ridiculous situation to me and if Wolves are applying pressure for us to play Norris we should tell them to do one.
No doubt will see you later.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am
Mike
Well you know my thoughts on the matter as I’m always going on about it when I see you. :lol:
Just seems a ridiculous situation to me and if Wolves are applying pressure for us to play Norris we should tell them to do one.
I said early on that I wondered if there was pressure from Wolves to play Norris or maybe even written into the contract. Personally I prefer Holy but I don't think there's a huge amount to choose between them, but it's clear evidence of a player (Holy) bring dropped after a good performance. And after Norris's recent errors Holy must wonder what he has to do to get back in the team. I see little point in playing a loanee over one of our own players unless the loanee is clearly superior - which in this case he isn't.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:32 am
Mike
I haven't come across anyone who prefers Norris, we can't all be wrong. Yes Tony cya later.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 pm

The thread title sounds like a great title for a Gene Hackman movie.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 pm
The thread title sounds like a great title for a Gene Hackman movie.
Superman ?

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Got to agree.

There was a comment in the post re Bart that we don't have a clear first choice keeper.

My immediate thought when I read that was - 'Yes we do, hes the one not playing at the moment!!'

Baffled.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:15 pm

And not playing again today either

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

As a Tomas Holy fan I take great delight in ridiculing Paul Lambert at every opportunity over his ridiculous goal keeper selection policy which in my opinion has been an understated reason for our teams loss of form, loss of confidence and poor run of results. It’s my opinion that had Paul Lambert left Tomas Holy in goal we would not have dropped as many points as we have and as such we would be in a far more comfortable position in the table. When it comes to player selection PL is a complete clown and I can’t believe he’s been awarded a new long term contract.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 pm

The circus did ok today

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:50 pm

When the team scores four goals the goalkeepers performance becomes less important and even a couple of mistakes go unpunished.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Play Holy.
Bench the polish/ Welsh lad.
Shoot Norris.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 pm

May be easier to phone him a taxi 😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:27 pm

What chance Holy plays tonight. After a 4-1 win Norris is bound to get dropped 😀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:16 pm

At least we don't have to suffer the Bart dilemma anymore, more howlers today which helped to end their play off hopes.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:51 am

I think Man Utd also have a goalkeeper dilemma having seen David de Gea’s nightmare performance at Wembley yesterday.

I really can’t imagine Tomas Holy making the same mistakes, maybe Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be taking a look at him.

If I were Tomas Holy I’d certainly not want another season under Paul Lambert.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:31 am

Bart just won the Championship Golden Gloves. Can’t be all bad can he, even after a few howlers.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... lden-glove

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:30 pm

The championship must be full of sh*te keepers then cus he's bang average at best. In any case I remember when it was said Cole Skuse had the best tackle/block ratio for midfielders in EUROPE, it was ridiculed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:51 am
I really can’t imagine Tomas Holy making the same mistakes, maybe Ole Gunnar Solskjaer should be taking a look at him.

:lol: Laughing quite hard at this, but can’t figure out if you’re joking or not, Charnwood?

For me, opinion alert, Ipswich Town (at this moment in history) are the absolute perfect team (from a level perspective) for Tomas Holy. And the nutsac personal protector is that the opinion is based from two live 90s and a large smattering of highlights. Again, my opinion is Lambert is seeing a weakness in there somewhere? 🤷‍♂️ A matter of who’s wrong..., Lambert or Holy?

Attending fans with regularity; their opinion will always rate higher that my shitty tuppence ha’penny worth.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:44 am

I’ve got no problem with Holy being our number 1 keeper, but I don’t think he’s as good as some make out.

I think his reputation was enhanced mostly because he was hard done by and Norris made some big howlers.

I don’t think Lambert is a big fan and kind of expect us to get another keeper. There’s reports of us looking at Northampton’s keeper. I’d rather spend the budget on outfield players if money’s too tight to mention.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:54 am

I don’t think Holy got long enough between the sticks to show what he can do. I’m sure he has his faults , as most GK’s have a weakness(s), but I suppose it’s up to h8m to show what he can do.

It seems now quite likely now that we are looking for a senior keeper. But like you tang, I really feel if money is short , we would be better to direct this towards a CB, left back and a striker ( assuming Jackson is leaving). I think wit( regards the Northampton GK, there are a few clubs looking at him , some are Championship, in which case I doubt we’d get him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:23 pm

What I do know is we kept about 7 clean sheets in a row with Holy in goal, it seemed to breed confidence in the defence with him there, christ the ricks Norris made were horrendous and regular and cost us a lot of points.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Holy equalled the club’s record of 5 clean sheets in a row before conceding 1 against Tranmere in a 4-1 victory. The way he was treated by Lambert was very poor management.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:23 pm
What I do know is we kept about 7 clean sheets in a row with Holy in goal, it seemed to breed confidence in the defence with him there, christ the ricks Norris made were horrendous and regular and cost us a lot of points.
Mike / Derick

I know, it really doesn’t make any sense does it. But then a lot of what PL did last season didn’t . I just hope he’s learned a lot from last season or it’s going to be Groundhog Day !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:30 am
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:51 am

:lol: Laughing quite hard at this, but can’t figure out if you’re joking or not, Charnwood?

For me, opinion alert, Ipswich Town (at this moment in history) are the absolute perfect team (from a level perspective) for Tomas Holy. And the nutsac personal protector is that the opinion is based from two live 90s and a large smattering of highlights. Again, my opinion is Lambert is seeing a weakness in there somewhere? 🤷‍♂️ A matter of who’s wrong..., Lambert or Holy?

Attending fans with regularity; their opinion will always rate higher that my shitty tuppence ha’penny worth.

Of course it was a joke Marko, at David de Gea’s expense after his clangers at Wembley last weekend v Chelsea.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm
Holy equalled the club’s record of 5 clean sheets in a row before conceding 1 against Tranmere in a 4-1 victory. The way he was treated by Lambert was very poor management.
oh five was it, I'm getting ahead of myself, even so he was doing the business, oozing confidence, the defence looked more stable so why Lambert changed it I'll never know, personally I don't have an issue with Lambert in most things by my god he got this totally wrong and it cost us.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:15 pm

I’ll certainly be honest and raise my hands and say that when I read “Tomas Holy who was told he’s free to leave the Gills”..... I instantly thought, “Not making an impression at Gillingham , and you will at Ipswich? Eh?”

Probably watched him too hard during games. Maybe overly critical of the duffers that did happen. Especially one at the near post. Thought at the time that maybe if he wasn’t so freakishly tall and more 4ft like my grandaughter, he’d have saved it! :D
From memory....... the best save of the short 19/20 season came from Norris...... across line, stretching dive tipped over the bar. Can’t remember who against.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Probably a back pass from our centre backs !

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:30 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm
oh five was it, I'm getting ahead of myself, even so he was doing the business, oozing confidence, the defence looked more stable so why Lambert changed it I'll never know, personally I don't have an issue with Lambert in most things by my god he got this totally wrong and it cost us.
I know you try to find positives from a negative, wish I could. But Lambert is solely to blame for Towns failure, he is very lucky to still be in a job in my view. It was only Covid that saved him which is ironic when it's ruined so many people's lives and livelihoods.