Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 , 1 or no points huh?

Tranmere Win
2
14%
Ipswich Win
11
79%
Draw
1
7%
 
Total votes: 14

Ando
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm
Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm
Sorry Derick it was in reply to mikes post about you dancing on the Hoardings. I thought I spotted you in the crowd from the replays of the
Really. What's that got to do with £50 bets with Rossi and rising like a phoenix ?
I was searching posts and found the exchange with you and Rossi. Would you not celebrate being right and winning £50. Or should I assume being right comes naturally for you :D
[/quote]

Searching posts? Maybe you should get out on the drink because that is sad. I know you are trying very hard to take the p*ss but it's not quite working which is also very sad.
[/quote]

No offence intended but Clearly hit a nerve. I thought someone who dishes plenty out would be able to take a little? As for me being sad I’ve been exchanging messages with you throughout the evening, would that not also make you sad? Maybe you should get out on the drink. 😉

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:55 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Town 1-0 down following a set piece, Norris booked !
What for , pretending to be a GK ?

User avatar
BLUEBLOOD
Posts: 2172
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am

Caption Comp 1: Priceless Banksy mural whitewashed in error

Image
Before

Image
After

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3189
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:10 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:10 pm
Ando wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 pm
Sorry Derick it was in reply to mikes post about you dancing on the Hoardings. I thought I spotted you in the crowd from the replays of the
Really. What's that got to do with £50 bets with Rossi and rising like a phoenix ?
I was searching posts and found the exchange with you and Rossi. Would you not celebrate being right and winning £50. Or should I assume being right comes naturally for you :D
Searching posts? Maybe you should get out on the drink because that is sad. I know you are trying very hard to take the p*ss but it's not quite working which is also very sad.
[/quote]

No offence intended but Clearly hit a nerve. I thought someone who dishes plenty out would be able to take a little? As for me being sad I’ve been exchanging messages with you throughout the evening, would that not also make you sad? Maybe you should get out on the drink. 😉
[/quote]

No offence taken I'm still trying to work out what your saying. You said you reacted to BM post then rattled on about Rossi, £50 and Phoenix. I'm certainly not anyway bothered I just want to try and understand your post nothing more. Regarding me drinking it would be easier for me tell you when I don't. :wink:

User avatar
Dazzz67
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm
Location: Swindon

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am

Yep here we go again...........

tangfastic
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:06 am

Some of the regulars like Downes, Jackson, Chambers and Wilson got praise, but it’s good to see ‘fringe’ players or non-regulars like Huws, Edwards, Keane and Judge put in decent shifts in recent games. I think Huws is looking stronger and Edwards seems to be improving at RWB. I thought Edwards did pretty well in the sand. Judge didn’t have the best of games yesterday, but he’s been looking far better the last few games. For now, I’d stick with Judge in the number 10 role, with Bish to come of the bench as an impact sub. Jackson looks our sharpest striker and it’s up to Norwood and Keane to fight for the second striker role. We’re looking more like a real team now - not just 6 or 7 carrying a few other players. Also, it feels now like there’s real competition for places.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21397
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 am

Agree with that, Huws for me has been excellent the last Two or Three games, Edwards too as you say is showing signs of life while Judge has found his niche although our weakest player yesterday, for me Bishop showed how to do it as soon as he came on, getting your head down and running at the defence, committing defenders and making things happen around their box, Judge needs to do a bit more of it.

I know I get ribbed about my praise of Jackson but for me has has always been a good player waiting to break out, we are seeing that now and I consider him our main striker just now, look at the BBC stats and not only does he have Nine goals he is around the top of the assist stats too with six or seven I believe, his work rate leaves others in the shade at times.

Dare I say it but I think Lambert's rotation policy is showing signs of life and with the competition for places with players all fit and chomping at the bit it has to be said he may well have pulled off a master stroke, early days yes but the signs are there and our performances against Wycombe, Accrington, Oxford & Tranmere back this up, we are on a decent little run now and I hope as much debate is centered around this as it was the poor run.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21397
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am

I love this, and totally correct, and remember you can only be offended if you are indeed an idiot, :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know them, they go quiet until the next defeat........ :wink:

The win stretches Town’s unbeaten league run to four games, two wins and two draws, with the poor form in November and December now seemingly behind the Blues.

“You’re always going to get that,” Lambert reflected. “We’ve only been beaten [five] times [in the league] this season. It’s incredible form we’ve been in.

“We’ve had one or two blips, a few draws but people went over the top with it, people went over the top, didn’t have a clue what was going on. We’re going to get the idiots but I guess that’d people who don’t know the game.”

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
I love this, and totally correct, and remember you can only be offended if you are indeed an idiot, :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know them, they go quiet until the next defeat........ :wink:

The win stretches Town’s unbeaten league run to four games, two wins and two draws, with the poor form in November and December now seemingly behind the Blues.

“You’re always going to get that,” Lambert reflected. “We’ve only been beaten [five] times [in the league] this season. It’s incredible form we’ve been in.

“We’ve had one or two blips, a few draws but people went over the top with it, people went over the top, didn’t have a clue what was going on. We’re going to get the idiots but I guess that’d people who don’t know the game.”


A run of four games without defeat picking up 8 points against the might of Tranmere Rovers, Oxford United (on a bad run), Accrington Stanley & Wycombe Wanderers (also on a bad run) should hardly be the signal for Lambert to start spouting off about incredible form and calling fans idiots, the guy is a complete tw*t.

Our form can hardly be described as incredible, improved yes but not incredible. Rotherham’s form is incredible 12 points from four games, Coventry & Sunderland ain’t doing too bad either with 10 from 12. Yes we have 8 which is better than Oxford and Wycombe, but incredible it isn’t. Lambert has a short memory because in November and December we didn’t simply have a blip, we were shocking. A run of 7 games when we were defeated 3 times and didn’t win a single game, even you Mike wrote on 29 December....

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:09 pm

”Even I cant defend that sh*te anymore, a total embarrassment, pissed off doesn't come close. They can all do one as far as I'm concerned. f*cked off”

I assume you accept being one of the idiots PL is now referring to ?

After working so hard to heal the wounds created by McCarthy which divided club and fans, I’m absolutely stunned by his incredulous comments towards the same fans who gave him such a warm welcome. This bizarre behaviour is not becoming of a man who has just been given a new contract to manage “our” football club for the next 4 years.

If you keep this up Lambert, get us promoted please and then “f*ck off”..... or learn to be more professional and keep your mouth shut until your brain is engaged.

tangfastic
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
I love this, and totally correct, and remember you can only be offended if you are indeed an idiot, :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know them, they go quiet until the next defeat........ :wink:

The win stretches Town’s unbeaten league run to four games, two wins and two draws, with the poor form in November and December now seemingly behind the Blues.

“You’re always going to get that,” Lambert reflected. “We’ve only been beaten [five] times [in the league] this season. It’s incredible form we’ve been in.

“We’ve had one or two blips, a few draws but people went over the top with it, people went over the top, didn’t have a clue what was going on. We’re going to get the idiots but I guess that’d people who don’t know the game.”


A run of four games without defeat picking up 8 points against the might of Tranmere Rovers, Oxford United (on a bad run), Accrington Stanley & Wycombe Wanderers (also on a bad run) should hardly be the signal for Lambert to start spouting off about incredible form and calling fans idiots, the guy is a complete tw*t.

Our form can hardly be described as incredible, improved yes but not incredible. Rotherham’s form is incredible 12 points from four games, Coventry & Sunderland ain’t doing too bad either with 10 from 12. Yes we have 8 which is better than Oxford and Wycombe, but incredible it isn’t. Lambert has a short memory because in November and December we didn’t simply have a blip, we were shocking. A run of 7 games when we were defeated 3 times and didn’t win a single game, even you Mike wrote on 29 December....

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Even I cant defend that sh*te anymore, a total embarrassment, pissed off doesn't come close. They can all do one as far as I'm concerned. f*cked off

I assume you accept being one of the idiots PL is now referring to ?

After working so hard to heal the wounds created by McCarthy which divided club and fans, I’m absolutely stunned by his incredulous comments towards the same fans who gave him such a warm welcome. This bizarre behaviour is not becoming of a man who has just been given a new contract to manage “our” football club for the next 4 years.

If you keep this up Lambert, get us promoted please and then “f*ck off”..... or learn to be more professional and keep your mouth shut until your brain is engaged.
I couldn’t agree more. I think everybody is feeling far more optimistic now that we’re playing better football and winning games, but to start labelling fans as ‘idiots’ reminds me of how it started with Mick. Toxicity can grow from these throwaway comments.
No need - totally unprompted as well - and better to enjoy the win and to keep quiet. It’ll only divide fans.
Maybe Lambert should thank the idiots as they were the ones asking to get a settled team and now we have - we’ve started to win games. Maybe idiots are the new geniuses.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 17383
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Charnwood quote.
If you keep this up Lambert, get us promoted please and then “f*ck off”..... or learn to be more professional and keep your mouth shut until your brain is engaged.
End quote.

Yep, absolutely 100%. Couldn’t have put it any better.

Ando
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:21 am
Agree with that, Huws for me has been excellent the last Two or Three games, Edwards too as you say is showing signs of life while Judge has found his niche although our weakest player yesterday, for me Bishop showed how to do it as soon as he came on, getting your head down and running at the defence, committing defenders and making things happen around their box, Judge needs to do a bit more of it.

I know I get ribbed about my praise of Jackson but for me has has always been a good player waiting to break out, we are seeing that now and I consider him our main striker just now, look at the BBC stats and not only does he have Nine goals he is around the top of the assist stats too with six or seven I believe, his work rate leaves others in the shade at times.

Dare I say it but I think Lambert's rotation policy is showing signs of life and with the competition for places with players all fit and chomping at the bit it has to be said he may well have pulled off a master stroke, early days yes but the signs are there and our performances against Wycombe, Accrington, Oxford & Tranmere back this up, we are on a decent little run now and I hope as much debate is centered around this as it was the poor run.
Agree with all this.

Is Bishop best used as an impact player later on when the game gets a little stretched and there is more space especially if teams are having to push on us. The easy thing to do in that situation is to throw on another defensive player when in fact Bishop can be the outlet to relieve pressure.

We are now seeing the benefits of the way PL has managed Huws back to where he now is and should be given credit for that. Has the rotation worked for others maybe not.

After the poor run It’s back to feeling like it did at the start of the season for me. We have that little bit of apprehension around which I think keeps our feet on the ground and a little more focused.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21397
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am
I love this, and totally correct, and remember you can only be offended if you are indeed an idiot, :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know them, they go quiet until the next defeat........ :wink:

The win stretches Town’s unbeaten league run to four games, two wins and two draws, with the poor form in November and December now seemingly behind the Blues.

“You’re always going to get that,” Lambert reflected. “We’ve only been beaten [five] times [in the league] this season. It’s incredible form we’ve been in.

“We’ve had one or two blips, a few draws but people went over the top with it, people went over the top, didn’t have a clue what was going on. We’re going to get the idiots but I guess that’d people who don’t know the game.”


A run of four games without defeat picking up 8 points against the might of Tranmere Rovers, Oxford United (on a bad run), Accrington Stanley & Wycombe Wanderers (also on a bad run) should hardly be the signal for Lambert to start spouting off about incredible form and calling fans idiots, the guy is a complete tw*t.

Our form can hardly be described as incredible, improved yes but not incredible. Rotherham’s form is incredible 12 points from four games, Coventry & Sunderland ain’t doing too bad either with 10 from 12. Yes we have 8 which is better than Oxford and Wycombe, but incredible it isn’t. Lambert has a short memory because in November and December we didn’t simply have a blip, we were shocking. A run of 7 games when we were defeated 3 times and didn’t win a single game, even you Mike wrote on 29 December....

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:09 pm

”Even I cant defend that sh*te anymore, a total embarrassment, pissed off doesn't come close. They can all do one as far as I'm concerned. f*cked off”

I assume you accept being one of the idiots PL is now referring to ?

After working so hard to heal the wounds created by McCarthy which divided club and fans, I’m absolutely stunned by his incredulous comments towards the same fans who gave him such a warm welcome. This bizarre behaviour is not becoming of a man who has just been given a new contract to manage “our” football club for the next 4 years.

If you keep this up Lambert, get us promoted please and then “f*ck off”..... or learn to be more professional and keep your mouth shut until your brain is engaged.
A run of any amount of games no matter who it is against should be applauded, it was stated on here by someone that Accrington were near the top of the form table and would not be easy, we blew them away, so Wycombe & Oxford are on a dodgy run of form ? Bloody hell aren't we ? we went to Two places which are incredibly hard to go to and should have won them both, for me it is a bit silly to dismiss it just because Rotherham and Sunderland have done better, who cares ? I am only interested in what we do, having outplayed Sunderland months back I know which squad I prefer.

I thought Lambert's comments were clear but maybe not, his "incredible form" comment is regarding our season over all as he mentions only Five defeats in what 26 games, pretty incredible really, Rotherham by the way have lost Seven so we ain't doing too badly. Yes my comment after Lincoln was something I stand by, if that makes me an idiot so be it, I am happy to be an idiot for a day as opposed to permanently but what I don't do is complain and moan about the team month after month, run with the hares and hunt with the hounds mentality so as not to ever be seen to be wrong, that's not my style, nor do I go quiet until we lose, I don't lambast the manager for pointing out truths about certain elements of our so called fan base, it was the same with MM and in fact Roy keane (who I hated by the way), they come back at negativity with some home truths and the snowflakes run for the hills highly offended by it, there is a pattern forming here but it's never the fickle bunch, they are always right and give but can't take. I think it was Nic who pointed it out after Lincoln, like me he had a tipping point, that was that night but nowhere did I ever say Lambert out or i'm finished with the team, I leave that for others, one minute he is taking us nowhere and the next they back down until the next defeat, laughable, I have maintained throughout we have the best squad and it will be a sorry day should he walk away or be sacked. You are now saying get us promoted and then f*ck off and while that is your right it wasn't long ago you said we would struggle to get anyone better.

Clearly we all see things how we see them and have an opinion and we won't always all agree, what I can't abide is seeing some giving it large when the chips are down then being offended when it is given back, could he have said things more tactfully, yes of course he could, is he wrong, not at all.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4048
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 pm

From what I have seen and heard, the last 4 games haven't just seen an upturn in results, they have generally come from better football, despite some very poor weather and pitches to contend with.

Having said that, I wasn't able to take in much of yesterday's match as I was roped in to help hang my son's guitars on the wall in exchange for a meal in a warm house until I can get a new boiler fitted. But I will make 2 comments about a couple of things I've long mentioned.

The negative: again we committed 20 fouls which is terrible. And their goal came from one of them.

The positive: the equaliser. A midfielder scoring from within the 6 yard box. How good it was to see Downes getting so far forward.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21397
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:12 pm

You are right Andy, their goal came from a foul that should never have been, we should have had the ball from a Tranmere throw which they took quickly and it went out, the bloody ref let them retake it from which they won the free kick so in that respect we were a little unfortunate but yes we do seem to rack up the fouls although some games recently the ref seems to blow for absolutely everything.

hallamblue
Posts: 24530
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:31 pm

From my perspective I think Towns upturn in form has coincided with three facts, as I see them.

1) An end to the insane “ rotation system” in favour of a settled team.
2) A return to the team of our more creative midfielders Huws and Bishop.
3) Playing players in their most effective roles/ positions

It’s really not rocket science.

All I want now I’d KVY to be returned to the side. He’s been out a long , long while. I cant help but feel the Club are being a tad over cautious with him now.

Ando
Posts: 1057
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 am

Think he’s out until the end of Feb ?

User avatar
AylesburyBlue
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am

Caption 1 - the two fellas are still as mobile as the town defence.....

Caption 2 - Tranmere fan copies BlueMike’s Chambo and Skusey house mural idea

Caption 3 (non entry) - it really is grim up north

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 21397
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Well Watford got turned over tonight so I guess our result was pretty good by comparison.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12248
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Tranmere Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:27 pm
Well Watford got turned over tonight so I guess or result was pretty good by comparison.

It’s a shame we don’t take the FA Cup a little more seriously. I bet that result will give their players a real lift and a home draw v Manchester United.

Now there’s a real giant killing opportunity even if it is against Man Utd reserves.

Post Reply