Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd plays 4th

Town Win
29%
Posh Win
33%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 21

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:34 pm
I’m completely out of love with Ipswich. I don’t look forward to Saturdays, I don’t care for the players and this league is awful. The club is going through the motions and so am I, I’ll continue going to tick off some grounds but i can’t remeber the last time I looked forward to a game and I can’t see that changing.

One last thing from me..... Lambert Out.

I think you’re on the right track Tom because for me Lambert is the problem. He has a more than half decent squad which for this League looks on paper as good as any other manager has to play with. However he has not a clue how to get the most out of them or how to make tactical changes to improve things mid game, these are two basic necessities to be a successful football manager.
Surely not :shock: :shock:

I mean - he's the messiah, isn't he?
Hes not the messiah, hes a very naughty boy!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 am

As if by magic......

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:32 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 am
rossi wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:46 pm

I think you’re on the right track Tom because for me Lambert is the problem. He has a more than half decent squad which for this League looks on paper as good as any other manager has to play with. However he has not a clue how to get the most out of them or how to make tactical changes to improve things mid game, these are two basic necessities to be a successful football manager.

....and we’ve got five more years to get used to him !

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:28 am
As if by magic......
If it wasn’t so predictable it would be funny. ....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:55 am
Obviously gutted with the result yesterday but I don't think it's time to lose the faith just yet. The league is very tight. Teams at the top are not having it all their own way and it seems like some of the other teams also have their idiosyncrasies. We are struggling to get results against top teams but others are finding it too easy to drop points against much lower teams whereas we are pretty effective at beating teams lower down, look at Wycombe yesterday and they have had a string of results like that.

Looking at the remaining games we have still chances to get an advantage over Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth & Oxford and then our last 6 games are all against sides at the bottom, the sort of teams that we have consistently beaten this season, whilst teams currently at or near the top are going to be playing each other.

In my view we need 3 wins in Feb, and Sunderland needs to be one of them. It looks like nobody is going to pull away, so it could be a very exciting end to the season and I would not bet against us getting 15 points from our last 18 available.
In terms of the league table now - yes, you’re right, we can still get enough points to get promotion.

But based on our last two pathetic performances, it’s difficult to see how we can a string of wins together. We seem clueless when put under pressure and we look both mentally and physically weaker than top sides. I wouldn’t also expect us to be so effective at beating lower placed teams. Having a strategy relying on our rivals dropping points and us beating just shitty teams seems more like hope and desperation.
That performance yesterday was not just another bad day at the office. It was a great opportunity to put the Rotherham game behind us and also to show we can beat one of our rivals. In the end, we get humiliated at home. The ref even felt so sorry for us, he gave us a very dodgy penalty.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Obviously gutted with the result yesterday but I don't think it's time to lose the faith just yet. The league is very tight. Teams at the top are not having it all their own way and it seems like some of the other teams also have their idiosyncrasies. We are struggling to get results against top teams but others are finding it too easy to drop points against much lower teams whereas we are pretty effective at beating teams lower down, look at Wycombe yesterday and they have had a string of results like that.

Looking at the remaining games we have still chances to get an advantage over Sunderland, Coventry, Portsmouth & Oxford and then our last 6 games are all against sides at the bottom, the sort of teams that we have consistently beaten this season, whilst teams currently at or near the top are going to be playing each other.

In my view we need 3 wins in Feb, and Sunderland needs to be one of them. It looks like nobody is going to pull away, so it could be a very exciting end to the season and I would not bet against us getting 15 points from our last 18 available.
In terms of the league table now - yes, you’re right, we can still get enough points to get promotion.

But based on our last two pathetic performances, it’s difficult to see how we can a string of wins together. We seem clueless when put under pressure and we look both mentally and physically weaker than top sides. I wouldn’t also expect us to be so effective at beating lower placed teams. Having a strategy relying on our rivals dropping points and us beating just shitty teams seems more like hope and desperation.
That performance yesterday was not just another bad day at the office. It was a great opportunity to put the Rotherham game behind us and also to show we can beat one of our rivals. In the end, we get humiliated at home. The ref even felt so sorry for us, he gave us a very dodgy penalty.

..... and to make matters worse Marcus Evans has gifted Paul Lambert a 5 year contract and there’s no way out of it cos he’ll be going nowhere after this season.

Sorry to be negative but this is looking more and more likely ending in tears.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:47 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:28 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:07 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

..... and to make matters worse Marcus Evans has gifted Paul Lambert a 5 year contract and there’s no way out of it cos he’ll be going nowhere after this season.

Sorry to be negative but this is looking more and more likely ending in tears.
That 4 year extension seems even more ludicrous now. A week ago, things were looking on the up and so no-one was talking about the next five years under Lambert. I just don’t get why Lambert could not have been ‘rewarded’ with a new contract in the Summer based on this season’s performance ie if we won promotion. I don’t think the new contract has stabilised anything at the club. It was only Lambert who really brought up the chance of him leaving. Evans should have held up the contract to Lambert and said ‘ it’s yours - but only if you earn it”.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:32 am
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 am
rossi wrote:

....and we’ve got five more years to get used to him !
Well you might! this is my last season and I was hoping to leave with a bang not a bloody whimper again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:11 pm

Dubai? :lol: Sometimes I can’t figure out if you’re on the wind up.
You wouldn’t bet against the club picking up 15 of 18 points near seasons end? That’s just pure wow.
If you are willing to bet FOR that happening, I’ll take that bet. Don’t like betting against ITFC and have hand on heart, never done it, but combined Rothers and Posh highlights suggest cluelessness! So, if you want a wee wager, let me know.

Is there a lambert post match interview? Would love to see that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
As if by magic......
Hit a nerve did I Mike? :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:23 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:13 pm
Bluemike wrote:
As if by magic......
Not really, I just knew the usual twats would appear at the first sign of adversity, you never disappoint.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:11 pm

How many managers will it take to make Ipswich Town competitive again?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:11 pm
How many managers will it take to make Ipswich Town competitive again?
When the ownership has changed.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:23 pm
rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
As if by magic......
Not really, I just knew the usual twats would appear at the first sign of adversity, you never disappoint.
hmmmmm - well if that was the case, surely I would have posted after the Rotherham game?

Who's the tw*t now? :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm

deleted as its Sunday :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by goldandblack on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:

Ditto Dubai Blue, this is not the time to panic,

the time to panic is when you support one of these 3.
22nd Southend 28-38 16
23rd Bolton 26-33 11
24th Bury Town, :?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:27 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:

Ditto Dubai Blue, this is not the time to panic,

22nd Southend 28-38 16
23rd Bolton 26-33 11
Thanks, I feel a lot better now. :astroll:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:20 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:27 pm

22nd Southend 28-38 16
23rd Bolton 26-33 11
Why are you such insufferable p***k? Why do you do things like that?

Your team sits comfortably at the top half of Premier League so it's easy to dish out some stupid advices to the others isn't it?

You've been coming on here for years to yap about our club, yes.... OUR CLUB and it has got sod all to do with you. Telling us how 'well we are run' by that horrible worm Evans, creating a 'promotion' thread last September and implying that we are already promoted etc etc.

We are all hurt, horrible owner, useless manager, players not willing to fight so can you just stop spouting your crap about OUR CLUB?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Totally unnecessary and bang out of order attack on G&B someone who i feel is a valued contributor to this site. This forum needs more diversity and there are a great many posters on here who support other clubs, all of whom give differing viewpoint.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

This is not the first time Mach had attacked G&B on this forum.

G&B has been a long valued friend and contributor on this forum .

I’m not sure how much abuse is tolerated on here before action is taken against the offenders.

Perhaps Moderators will finally make some lasting decisions instead of slaps on wrists or as often seems to happen on here, nothing at all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:00 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:16 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:23 pm
rossi wrote:

hmmmmm - well if that was the case, surely I would have posted after the Rotherham game?

Who's the tw*t now? :wink:
Even you have other things to do from time to time I expect, maybe you didn't realise we were playing, who knows.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

I’m not sure how much abuse is tolerated on here before action is taken against the offenders.

Perhaps Moderators will finally make some lasting decisions instead of slaps on wrists or as often seems to happen on here, nothing at all.
You're the last person on this planet to make comments like that. You're a full of hypocrisy given your conduct on this forum.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Come on.... a bit of perspective. Take away Mach’s first comment about GNB, Mach made a decent post and some good points.

Yes, Mach shouldn’t have gone into name-calling, but there’s been beef rumbling there under the surface for quite a while. I thought Mach went over the line there with name-calling, but still made good points. I would say GNB’s a sufferable pr*ck and not insufferable. :)

Personally, I was a tad annoyed with Wolfies post... very condescending about our club. Straight out of the Mick MCCarthy manual of “shut the f*ck up, know your place, you’re only little Ipswich”. But, hopefully, Wolfie, can add some feedback.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:37 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:21 pm
Come on.... a bit of perspective. Take away Mach’s first comment about GNB, Mach made a decent post and some good points.

Yes, Mach shouldn’t have gone into name-calling, but there’s been beef rumbling there under the surface for quite a while. I thought Mach went over the line there with name-calling, but still made good points. I would say GNB’s a sufferable pr*ck and not insufferable. :)

Personally, I was a tad annoyed with Wolfies post... very condescending about our club. Straight out of the Mick MCCarthy manual of “shut the f*ck up, know your place, you’re only little Ipswich”. But, hopefully, Wolfie, can add some feedback.
Thanks mate.

We are a TURD as a club, UTTER TURD. Years of ongoing decline and failure and there seems to be no end of the destruction that Evans has been doing. No moments of joy, nothing to look forward to...... and then comes G&B with the quotes/threads which I have mentioned and I find it really annoying as an Ipswich fan. A fan of the different club comes here to be a smart arse and polish the turd to please some. And he's been like that for years.

We're at the lowest moment in our history and still keep sinking so do we really need comments that ... 'there is no time to panic cos we aren't in the bottom positions in this league' ? These and other comments throughout the years.

We also have some of our 'fans' saying that we should accept that we're a bang average, decaying 3rd Division team :roll: :roll: :roll:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:51 pm

Hallam, The World is full of little folk who need to be heard, personally I really like to read their comments as it makes one feel good about living life with positivity and not negativity.

Plus, when the bad language starts getting thrown you know they have lost the argument.

It takes all kinds, let them enjoy their moment I say. COmyB just call me diplomatic Wolf

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Personally I wasn’t reading Goldandblacks comments as patronising or anything. Wolves are in the prem now but it wasn’t that long ago that they were where we are or even lower. It gives me some hope that they’ve rebuilt and are back up there and I reckon it’s fair to say the two clubs are comparable in terms of size of support, history etc

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:24 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:37 pm

We are a TURD as a club, UTTER TURD. Years of ongoing decline and failure and there seems to be no end of the destruction that Evans has been doing. No moments of joy, nothing to look forward to...... and then comes G&B with the quotes/threads which I have mentioned and I find it really annoying as an Ipswich fan. A fan of the different club comes here to be a smart arse and polish the turd to please some. And he's been like that for years.

We're at the lowest moment in our history and still keep sinking so do we really need comments that ... 'there is no time to panic cos we aren't in the bottom positions in this league' ? These and other comments throughout the years.

We also have some of our 'fans' saying that we should accept that we're a bang average, decaying 3rd Division team :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think that as Bluemike said we have been on a downturn for years for a number of reasons. Administration was a huge part of that (for reasons Bluemike touched on) and certainly pre-dates the current owner. So to put all the blame at his door is unfair.

I've highlighted part of the post as i guess it's at least partly aimed at me because i said a month or so ago that we aren't a big club. But I never said we are decaying. It's You, Mach, who keeps saying that. You talk of decline, destruction and failure. I don't see it like that.

I haven't commented on the 2 recent defeats because I saw little point. But I will now. Tuesday's defeat was in my opinion (and I say this not having seen the game, just on listening and my views if the squad) about ability of our players. Recently we have played better but for years if a team closes us down we can't cope. Hallam made exactly this point in Tuesday. Our first touch is generally not good enough, our vision isn't quick enough to cope in tight situations, and frequently teammates are slow to get close. As a result when we are closed down quickly we hoof it. I doubt if it was a deliberate tactic on our part, just a consequence of individually and collectively not good enough to cope.

Regarding yesterday, we were outplayed at Peterborough but salvaged a fortunate point. Yesterday we conceded some awful goals but we're really outplayed from 1-0 onwards. The second goal.was terrible but the other 3 weren't much better. The defence hopelessly flat footed for the first, and I think the other 2 were straight from goal kicks. The defence must take the blame for 3 of the goals.

The problem is done of us don't like the thought that Peterborough are a better side than us. I said after the away game (when they were way down) that they would finish above us. Ive said from the start of the season that we wouldn't make top 6 and I still think that. Others are starting to agree but I guess it's harder to take it you expected better.

The fact we haven't beaten a team in the top 8 is simply an indication of where we are as a club. So Yes, I think we are a fairly average league 1 club. We havegood games and not so good games. That's what makes us average.

So I'm criticised for accepting it. What else can I do? I can't change it so I have to accept it. At least that way I don't get as agitated, argumentative and insulting ad some on here because I can't face reality.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:11 pm
Dubai? :lol: Sometimes I can’t figure out if you’re on the wind up.
You wouldn’t bet against the club picking up 15 of 18 points near seasons end? That’s just pure wow.
If you are willing to bet FOR that happening, I’ll take that bet. Don’t like betting against ITFC and have hand on heart, never done it, but combined Rothers and Posh highlights suggest cluelessness! So, if you want a wee wager, let me know.

Is there a lambert post match interview? Would love to see that.
Marko, I prefer to see the world positively and look at the longer picture where possible. Honestly I don't bet and I guess it would be hard to get you your winnings :D But if you want a cash-free bet for honour alone then I'll take it. Those last 6 games are:

Southend H
Bolton H
Shrewsbury A
Rochdale H
Doncaster A
MK Dons H

Only 1 condition though, that after the Pompey game immediately before these, we are still within 6 points of a play off place :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:49 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:20 pm
Personally I wasn’t reading Goldandblacks comments as patronising or anything. Wolves are in the prem now but it wasn’t that long ago that they were where we are or even lower. It gives me some hope that they’ve rebuilt and are back up there and I reckon it’s fair to say the two clubs are comparable in terms of size of support, history etc
Exactly JohnnyB, that's why I am bothered and know exactly how your fans are feeling, and we have sank a lot lower than the Town.

look at ours and your home/away support while in this league and it shows there's a future for both our clubs, as it proved to the new owners to invest in us. Keep the faith,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:24 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:37 pm

I think that as Bluemike said we have been on a downturn for years for a number of reasons. Administration was a huge part of that (for reasons Bluemike touched on) and certainly pre-dates the current owner. So to put all the blame at his door is unfair.

I've highlighted part of the post as i guess it's at least partly aimed at me because i said a month or so ago that we aren't a big club. But I never said we are decaying. It's You, Mach, who keeps saying that. You talk of decline, destruction and failure. I don't see it like that.

I haven't commented on the 2 recent defeats because I saw little point. But I will now. Tuesday's defeat was in my opinion (and I say this not having seen the game, just on listening and my views if the squad) about ability of our players. Recently we have played better but for years if a team closes us down we can't cope. Hallam made exactly this point in Tuesday. Our first touch is generally not good enough, our vision isn't quick enough to cope in tight situations, and frequently teammates are slow to get close. As a result when we are closed down quickly we hoof it. I doubt if it was a deliberate tactic on our part, just a consequence of individually and collectively not good enough to cope.

Regarding yesterday, we were outplayed at Peterborough but salvaged a fortunate point. Yesterday we conceded some awful goals but we're really outplayed from 1-0 onwards. The second goal.was terrible but the other 3 weren't much better. The defence hopelessly flat footed for the first, and I think the other 2 were straight from goal kicks. The defence must take the blame for 3 of the goals.

The problem is done of us don't like the thought that Peterborough are a better side than us. I said after the away game (when they were way down) that they would finish above us. Ive said from the start of the season that we wouldn't make top 6 and I still think that. Others are starting to agree but I guess it's harder to take it you expected better.

The fact we haven't beaten a team in the top 8 is simply an indication of where we are as a club. So Yes, I think we are a fairly average league 1 club. We havegood games and not so good games. That's what makes us average.

So I'm criticised for accepting it. What else can I do? I can't change it so I have to accept it. At least that way I don't get as agitated, argumentative and insulting ad some on here because I can't face reality.
Very good post Andy and you do read things spot on, I think it is fair to say you are the one certain person on here who never waivers from his thoughts and sticks to them no matter what. I don't think many of us have ever said we are decaying, yes One or Two spring to mind but generally that isn't an issue, your assessment of the Rotherham game is exactly right in that we often got forced into hoofing it due to their excellent work rate and tactics, it is indeed something we fail to cope with on several occasions.

As for Peterborough, I felt we were a bit hard done by with the penalty which put us on the back foot having started ok, then the second which was a incredible howler from Norris put the game out of reach and we were shot to bits after that, trying to push forward to salvage something left gaping holes at the back and the Third came as a result, I left just after that, the events of the last week or two just got to much and pissed off doesn't come close so can't comment on the Fourth but having seen the highlights it resembled the Third.

I still believe we will achieve top Six at the very least, as Dubai says we do have a run of games that are very winnable and indeed we have been winning those type of games, why we cant beat the top sides around us is a mystery although I think we all agree we should have beaten Wycombe twice, sometimes you just don't get the rub. All is not lost but with Sunderland to come it could get a little bit worse before it gets better.