Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd plays 4th

Town Win
29%
Posh Win
33%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 21

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:30 am

Image Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Image

Saturday 1st February 2020 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

That Was Bad !!!!!

Will the real Ipswich Town please stand up, from the impressive performances against the likes of Wycombe, Oxford, Accrington & Lincoln which propelled us back to the top of the table to the limp effort at Rotherham last night which knocked us back from where we came from is about as chalk & cheese as you can get. To say we were disappointing would be an understatement to say the least, for me we were woeful at best, at least for 85 minutes anyway.

I am at a loss to understand our tactics, it has been said we didn't go out with the game plan of knocking long balls all game up to Kayden Jackson who it has to be said I felt so sorry for, if that is the case then surely Paul Lambert is saying that the players didn't follow instruction or the pre-match game plan ? And if that is the case then why the hell did he not get instructions on to the pitch from the bench telling them to stop doing something that clearly wasn't working ? For me none of it made any sense. From the first minute to the Forty Fifth we played no Football at all, at least not until Flynn Downes picked the ball up on the stroke of half time, got his head down and ran at the home defence, if it was clear to see for all the 900+ Town fans that it caused panic in their defence then why oh why did we not adopt this tactic for the second Forty Five ? At least it would have got us into the game and made a game of it !! But no nothing changed after the break, not until the Eighty Fifth minute anyway when we finally started to get the ball down and run at them, we also made a pass or Two and actually saw James Norwood come within inches of the biggest robbery since 8th August 1963 when Ronnie Biggs and co. pulled off another great daylight robbery, watching that nightmare unfold I must say I felt like I had been hit over the head like a certain Jack Mills.

Not only did we get the game plan completely wrong but the timing of the Substitutions made little sense, we needed to shake it up for the entire second half, the game was screaming out for change and the talk among the Town fans was that Norwood & Bishop just had to be introduced, so what do we do, as you were and continue with the same crap, yes we finally got Norwood albeit in the 67th minute but no sign of Teddy Bishop, instead we see the return of the more withdrawn Jon Nolan, bizarre to say the least, little changed until the dying minutes really, yes Jackson had a limp shot which wouldn't have troubled a One armed Blind man and then with Five minutes on the clock we had our first real effort on goal courtesy of a Luke Garbutt free kick which the keeper did well to tip over the bar, Two minutes into added time Town came even closer to an unexpected leveller with that Norwood effort, from what looked like an impossible angle he somehow got it across only to see it hit the inside of the post and away to safety.

I have to say I was so disappointed with us last night, crikey there is far far more penetration going on in my Bedroom than what we came up with, instead we witnessed Eleven limp dicks failing to rise to the occasion, although in fairness Will Norris can be pleased with his efforts while Downes & Chambers (First half) at least looked up for it, the rest can be disappointed with their contributions and need to come up with something better than that in the remaining games.

Not So Posh Up Next

Following hot on the heels of the Rotherham debacle we have a certain Peterborough Utd in town and with it the gobshite that is Darren Ferguson who is never short of something to say. Three weeks ago this would be a walk in the park as they seemed to be in free fall, however Three wins on the bounce against Accrington, Rotherham & Wycombe have seen them jump right back into contention and they are breathing down our necks, sitting just Two points behind us having played a game more puts even more emphasis on this game, we cannot afford to slip up anymore at home, and surely to god it is time we beat a fellow promotion rival.

Posh score goals for fun and their Fifty Two is the best in the division, mainly down to the efforts of Ivan Toney & Mo Eisa who have scored 35 between them, strangely enough Eisa was an unused sub on Tuesday against Accrington but it could just be a case of squad rotation (remember that?) to rest him, there is also still talk of a deadline day move for Toney which really would enhamce our chances but whoever plays against us it comes down to what we do, we need to put in another Lincolnesque performance and take it to them, out of the blocks and whip up the Portman Road crowd again, should we do that I believe we will nick it, we have the meanest defence in the Division while they have the best attack, something has to give, I just hope it isn't my heart, the tension could be massive, failure is not an option.

Ok we were all disappointed Tuesday evening but just as One resul does not make us world beaters, one poor effort does not make us has been's and we have to remember that and not panic, 2020 has seen a big improvement in our displays and the "all in it together" mentality will take us to where we want to be. Keep the faith, keep believing and get behind the Boys, Town to nick it in a close affair. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Peterborough United

Peterborough United formed in 1934 at Peterborough's Angel Hotel to provide a replacement for Peterborough & Fletton United, who had folded two years previously. The Posh played in the old Midland League. They won this league on six occasions, including five seasons in a row from 1956 to 1960. The Posh were elected to The Football League for the beginning of the 1960–61 season, winning Division Four.

Following the Fourth Division Championship success in 1960–61, The Posh spent seven seasons in the 3rd Division. They reached the quarter-finals of the 1964–65 FA Cup, beating Arsenal and Swansea Town along the way before going out to Chelsea. They were relegated back to the 4th Division for financial irregularities in the summer of 1968. The club took six seasons to return to Division 3, winning the 4th Division championship.

In 1977–78 the club threatened to go one better until they narrowly missed out on promotion to Division 2 when they drew the last game of the season at champions Wrexham (0–0) when a win was needed to go up. The game was notable for the fact that over 2,000 Preston North End fans travelled to Wrexham to watch the game and cheer on the home side – Preston were the club who went up because Peterborough did not win. The Wrexham defeat cast a long shadow over the club and it fell into a long decline. Relegation followed in 1979 and Posh subsequently spent 12 years back in the 4th division. The 1980s was a long story of mismanagement and false dawns, punctuated by the odd cup run.

In January 1991, Chris Turner, who had played in the 1974 Fourth division championship team took over as manager and the team embarked on a run of 13 unbeaten games that propelled them into the top four. Six players were signed on transfer deadline day, which at the time was a record for the number of players signed by one club on a single day. On the final day of the season, Posh travelled to Chesterfield needing a win to seal promotion. Despite going two goals down in the first ten minutes, the team rallied and drew level with goals from David Robinson and George Berry. However, Posh's closest rivals, Blackpool lost at Walsall and promotion was achieved.

The following season arguably remains the most successful in the club's history. After an inconsistent start the team hit form during the Autumn when they knocked Wimbledon and Newcastle United out of the League Cup. The reward was a home tie with a Liverpool. Garry Kimble scored the only goal after 19 minutes prompting wild celebrations and a place in the quarter-finals. In the league, the team went from strength to strength and surged up the table. Middlesbrough ended the League Cup run after a replay and there was further disappointment when the team missed out on a trip to Wembley in the Football League Trophy when they lost to Stoke City over two legs in the area final.

Progress continued in the league and a play-off place was clinched on the last day of the season despite a 1–0 defeat to champions Brentford. The following week, Huddersfield Town came to London Road for the first leg of the Semi-final. Captain Mick Halsall's last minute equaliser levelled the score at 2–2. Three days later, the supporters travelled north more in hope than expectation but they were rewarded when the team came from a goal down to win 2–1 with Worrell Sterling and Steve Cooper scoring the goals. On 24 May 1992, Peterborough United played at Wembley for the first time, against Stockport County in the Third Division playoff final. With Posh winning 2–1 and gaining promotion to the new First division. They played in Football League Division One between 1992 and 1994 and finished 10th, their highest ever league finish, in 1992–93 season.

During the 2005–06 season the club had three managers: Team owner Barry Fry returned to management following former England international Mark Wright's sacking in January 2006. Wright's assistant Steve Bleasdale was then appointed acting manager, but resigned in April. Keith Alexander joined as manager from Lincoln City for 2006–07 but was sacked in January 2007 after a run of poor form and was replaced by Darren Ferguson. He led the club to back-to-back promotions from League Two to the Championship in his two full seasons in charge. By November 2009 Posh were bottom of the Championship and Ferguson left the club, to be replaced by Mark Cooper. In February 2010, after only 13 games in charge, Cooper also left the club and Jim Gannon was appointed in his place. Following confirmation of relegation from the Championship after a 2–2 draw at Barnsley, Gannon was replaced by Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson left the club on 10 January 2011 due to policy disagreement. Two days after Johnson's departure, Darren Ferguson returned to the club on a four and a half-year contract. Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010-11 Football League One with one of the worst defensive records in the third tier, conceding over 70 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season. Peterborough beat Milton Keynes Dons in the playoff semi-finals. They defeated Huddersfield Town in the Final with a 3–0 victory, and gained promotion back to the Championship.

Darren Ferguson led the team to safety in its first season back in the Championship, leading to a finish in 18th. However, the Posh were relegated back the following season, after losing to Crystal Palace 3–2 on 4 May 2013, the final match of the season.

Darren Ferguson ended his time as Peterborough United manager on 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 defeat at Milton Keynes Dons.

Over the proceeding League 1 seasons Peterborough finished 9th in the 2014/15 season, 13th in the 2015/16 season, 11th in the 2016/17 season, 9th in the 2017/18 season and 7th last season.

Ferguson was re-appointed as manager on 26 January 2019 for the third time with a deal agreed until the end of season after the dismissal of Steve Evans, with Gavin Strachan as his assistant.

The Manager – Darren Ferguson

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 3rd place with 48 points

11 Jan Ipswich Town 4 - 1 Accrington

14 Jan Oxford Utd 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

18 Jan Tranmere 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

25 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Lincoln City

28 Jan Rotherham 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

Peterborough United Last 5 Matches – currently in 4th place with 46 points

11 Jan Peterborough 0 - 0 Gillingham

18 Jan AFC Wimbledon 1 - 0 Peterborough

21 Jan Peterborough 4 - 0 Wycombe

25 Jan Peterborough 2 - 1 Rotherham

28 Jan Accrington 0 - 2 Peterborough

Marko’s Caption Competition -THE DON CUP

Still to gather scores. Will get those along with this caption done for next time.

Match Referee – Andy Woolmer

IPSWICH TOWN 1 PETERBOROUGH UNITED 0

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:48 am

Im actually nervous about this match now. I hope the lads show up and play the way they can!!! If we play football like we can, its a 2-0 win. If not...… I can already see the posts from those that turn up when we lose...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:13 am

Ive gone for a draw , because I honestly am not sure we have the bottle for the big games, but cant quite bring myself to put us down for a home loss.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks for the pre-match report, Mike. It good to see you’ve still got a good sense of humour and I hope things turn around both on the field and in your bedroom.

For me, its a real thorn in the side that we can’t beat higher placed sides. That’s why I think this game has extra importance other than the three points. It would spread belief both on and off the field.

It pissed me off on Tuesday night mostly as this was like a Groundhog Day where Rotherham are concerned - they did exactly the same thing to us in October at PR as they did the other night - and no signs that we learnt any kind of lesson. A loss was not unexpected, but that was a gutless and clueless performance.
Big game and I hope the boys turn up for this one. Let’s get back on the horse straight away.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 pm

LMAO thanks Tang, thankfully the bedrooms fine :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:17 pm

That opposition picture is great. It's been used before I know but I just love that guy who's obviously a bit freaked out by the gimp in the blue suit. Black hair the left on the photo. Stepping to the side slightly, priceless look on his face. He's like "WTF!" :lol:

Anyway, limp d!cks, bedrooms, penetrations, gimp suits? What sort of preview is this?!

Got to bounce back at PR after the other night. 85 minutes of being poor just cannot be happening. In fact, even if ITFC were in the EPL playing the likes of Everton, it' still wouldn't be acceptable. Get this team resembling SOME form of consistency, Lambert.
"How about consistently crap? That do?"
Shouldn't joke. After this seasons press room performances, that's probably in amongst his possible replies to journalists.
Voted win. 2-1 ITFC.

Ref caption:
Player: Ref? You can't do that!
Ref: I ........, am not ....., a ref. I ....... am Jeffrey Archer and I....... young chap........, am giving that man, ......., five penalties.

Darren Ferguson caption:
Gavin Strachan: "That's half time, boss. Coffee."
DF: (muffled whisper): "yeah, I'll have a ....."
GS: "You don't have to do that, Darren. We're not talking tactics in front of world champion class lip readers..... It's only coffee."

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:07 pm

We have simply got to win this, we dont turn up like the Rotherham fiasco we are done for, hoping for some bloody effort this time boys!

And PL, you cluster again pal and seriously you can go, new contract or not, you have alot to proove mate!

Going for a draw.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 pm

I've gone for a draw. 1-1

We just have to start getting better results against the top sides in this league. Heart says we win, head says a point will do.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:32 pm

Watched the match on Ifollow. The high press from Rotherham was something with which we couldn't cope. They were superb in that respect and only when they started to tire did we come back. They could play us every week home and away and the result would be the same. Let us hope that the other contenders weren't watching or are not as fit. Otherwise we are fooked

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Caption picture added.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 am

Caption Comp 1: Look Fergie Marko has added a cracking picture this week for the Caption Comp.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:56 am

CAPTION 1 " If you look closely Sir Alex when Darren walks out of the shower you will see it's only this bloody big"

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:16 am

Caption 1. Fergie photo bombs fans selfie.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:57 am

Not got a good feeling about this one. Will be a real test that’s for sure.

Gone for a draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm

CAPTION 2.... " Lmfao, hey Fergie, just look at some of the negative, knee jerk sh*te posted on this Ipswich forum, it's hilarious!!!!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm
CAPTION 2.... " Lmfao, hey Fergie, just look at some of the negative, knee jerk sh*te posted on this Ipswich forum, it's hilarious!!!!"
Fergie: "Ah, stuff that, man. Can you get porn on those devices?"

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 pm

:cry: I Think we are just about to go on yet another bad run of results, I've voted for a Posh win, as their strikers are on fire, so wouldn't be shocked at a 1-4 loss result or worse, I cannot for the life of me see why we play so many on off games, like its inbred into our game, its been like this for years, play sh*t first half better second half, or visa versa, or just play sh*t for 40 games out of 45, when the acid test comes of a must win games we always fail, players only perform better for some reason once they leave the club for other clubs, Didsy is a one of many classic cases.
Or we under perform due to a vast injuries list, Earl comes from Preston on loan with a cheek injury, not sure if its his face or arse cheek, but its a bloody cheek to send a player here for a recuperation period, Huws has a knock on his ankle :shock: so!! wear padded angle wraps to prevent this. Bishop has Knee problems, probably cartilage, so will always be a bit part player at best, that's his career F****D.
And we have a manager that thinks we played really well at Rotherham ??? Yeh right all of 10 minuets, I still think Lambert is technically inept, it took him ages to understand large rotation of players doesn't work, but a more settled team selection works better.
But we need a real out and out striker up front, who can score 20 plus goals a season, Jackson, Norwood, Keane, are not it, had good reputations at other clubs, BUT cant really cut it at Ipswich, very in and out form.

So lets see how the posh and Mackem's games end up and go from there.

Caption 1 Fergie smiles at pictures of Blue Mikes bedroom penetration antics.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:45 pm

Caption 1: "And this is the poo emoji for how ManU have played since you left!"

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:57 pm

4-1 Town, nae prob. Everything looks better in a cider haze😁

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:46 pm

Caption

"So, let's go over this one more time you dopey old pr*ck ........... you turn the device on by pressing this button ............ "

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 am

Voted for the opposition win and believe they'll do it. Would like to be proved wrong naturally but the last three game score swung it in their favor. We don't always perform at home and results often disappoint. They'll have every much incentive as ourselves but think they carry greater desire and momentum. We are prone to "off days" and unfortunately that trend may continue for this event.

Town 1 Peterborough 2

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 am

EDIT CAPTION 1.......

"OMG, !!!! look at her !!!! I only typed in Two up front and One in the hole in my search engine and she came up"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:25 pm

I’m really hoping we can win this game this afternoon and I don’t care how we do it or how ugly it is, as long as we pick up all three points. If we don’t I fear we could have a run of three straight defeats as I don’t fancy our chances at the Stadium of Light next weekend, and that wouldn’t help our cause, and in a worst case scenario could see us drop out of the top 6. Meanwhile two straight wins would consolidate our position in one of the automatic promotion places, that’s how finely balanced our current position is.

My main concern is Paul Lambert and his lack of ability to get the best out of our players for the big games, and after listening to him being interviewed on iFollow yesterday ahead of today’s game, this comes as no great surprise. To be honest the man wouldn’t motivate me to get out of bed in the morning, let alone raise my game in the afternoon..

I sincerely hope he proves me wrong and makes me eat my words, it’s such a lovely day, the sun is shining it’s 24° and I’m really looking forward to a lovely weekend, even tho I can’t play golf for a while. The last thing I need is another poor display from Town and dropped points.

I’ve sat on the fence and predicted a 1-1 draw, for sure I’d like more but certainly don’t want less.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Skuse in for the injured Huws, otherwise unchanged.

Half-expecting a recall for Norwood in place of Keane - not to be.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Just one change Skuse for Huws but I had expected Norwood to start, 1-1 is my prediction.
Just beat me to it, same thoughts.👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Quote from Hull v Brentford match report:

“Deserved win for Brentford, they dominated from START to FINISH.”

Let’s do this today Ipswich Town. None of this “tales of different halves” Shyte.

Arnie: “DOMINATE, WE WILL DOMINATE!”

Not Annie. “Maybe we’ll win TOMORROW, TOMORROW,....... or next week, TOMORROW!”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:40 pm

24c Charnwood? I was like, “eh?”

You mean in Spain! Was thinking, “man, I really need to get fully on that global warming bandwagon, it’s fking 24c in Ipswich in Feb!”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm

Sitting in Easter Road stadium wondering if McCarthy loving Valleyfield is sitting amongst those St Mirren fans over there.
We’ll be in the black bull tavern on Leith street after the game if you fancy a pint, VF. But if the buddies win, hide your scarf! :lol:

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Crap!! Sounds like we were lucky not to lose a player to red

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:43 pm
Sitting in Easter Road stadium wondering if McCarthy loving Valleyfield is sitting amongst those St Mirren fans over there.
We’ll be in the black bull tavern on Leith street after the game if you fancy a pint, VF. But if the buddies win, hide your scarf! :lol:
I have a life long St Mirren fan son in law who will definitely be rooting for them today and following the game from start to finish on his phone. Not sure my seven year old grandson is as keen on his St Mirren and Scotland soccer kits, not as much as he is his Spurs (Harry Kane), Barcelona (Messi) and Juventus (Ronaldo) shirts.