AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we get back on track?

Wimbledon Win
31%
Ipswich Win
54%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: AFC Wimbledon vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Good post Charnwood, but there is another angle, and I think it’s an angle that I’m beginning to see more in Lambert as this season progresses. His back goes up when things border criticism BUT as time goes on, I’m beginning to feel his frustrations.
He’ll cover all areas of goalscoring on the training field and to be pitch side witness to 28 shots on target with no product etc etc, ....., that’s got to wear any human being down.
Certainly past three games during matchday comments, James has had one on ones..... (just using this as an example)..... there really isn’t anything Lambert can do.
Wenger had Thierry, Klopp has Salah. Different types of “problems”, (but I do realise they’re relative to the league)
I can understand some of Lamberts standoffishness after some games. Some of these players need to start making Lamberts life a bit easier. If they’re capable of doing so.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 pm
Good post Charnwood, but there is another angle, and I think it’s an angle that I’m beginning to see more in Lambert as this season progresses. His back goes up when things border criticism BUT as time goes on, I’m beginning to feel his frustrations.
He’ll cover all areas of goalscoring on the training field and to be pitch side witness to 28 shots on target with no product etc etc, ....., that’s got to wear any human being down.
Certainly past three games during matchday comments, James has had one on ones..... (just using this as an example)..... there really isn’t anything Lambert can do.
Wenger had Thierry, Klopp has Salah. Different types of “problems”, (but I do realise they’re relative to the league)
I can understand some of Lamberts standoffishness after some games. Some of these players need to start making Lamberts life a bit easier. If they’re capable of doing so.
this could help Marco, its common knowledge PL Doesn't like February, but if you should ever draw Liverpool in the cup he's your man. see there's always a positive to a negative, :wink:

Read On.

Lambert's reign
Having been appointed as Walter Zenga's successor on 5 November, Lambert was in charge for 33 matches in all competitions, of which Wolves won 14, lost 14 and drew five.

A run of five successive league defeats in February dragged Wolves into a Championship relegation struggle, although they pulled well clear of the bottom three with five consecutive wins in March and April.

They eventually finished 15th, seven points clear of the relegation zone.

The highlights of Lambert's reign came in the FA Cup, in which Wolves won at Premier League opponents Stoke City and Liverpool before losing at home to double-chasing Chelsea in the fifth round.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm

We had a bad run in 2000, look what happened there. Let’s support the team, not f & blind at them after the game. It achieves absolutely nothing.

In terms of performance, I think we played better in this game than Gillingham and Rochdale away. Just didn’t take any of our chances.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:07 pm

I rest my case Marko....

Arsene Wenger was criticised for paying £11m for 22yr old Thierry Henry who at the time was at Juventus where he played on the wing, as well as at wing back and wide midfield, but he was ineffective as a goal scorer and made only 16 appearances at Juve scoring just 3 goals. At the time he moved to Arsenal he was really unsettled in Italy and took little persuasion to sign for Arsene Wenger his former manager from his youth days at Monaco. It was at under Arsene Wenger that he relearned everything about the art of being a striker and Arsenal where he made his name as a world-class footballer. He certainly didn’t join them as a prolific goal scorer.

Like wise with Mo Salah, until he joined up with Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool as a 25 yr Mo had only made 141 senior appearance (50 on loan from Chelsea) and scored just 46 goals. Before he went out on loan he was rarely used at Chelsea where he only made 13 appearances only scoring twice. Just like Arsene Wenger with Thierry Henry it’s was/is Jurgen Klopp who’s turned Mo Salah into the striker he is now.

Using Wenger and Klopp as an example, Paul Lambert needs to make at least one of James Norwood, Kayden Jackson, Will Keane or Freddie Sears believe they can become a prolific League One striker, and bloody quickly too because if he doesn’t or can’t we’re going nowhere.