Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Which side is going for a Burton?

Ipswich Win
27%
Burton Win
33%
Draw
40%

Total votes: 15

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by TODD66 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Despite bossing this, others are winning at the top so we’re out of playoff spots but no matter this sets a very healthy precedent for all the home games left this season
Doing the goal difference a power of good as well.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:38 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Despite bossing this, others are winning at the top so we’re out of playoff spots but no matter this sets a very healthy precedent for all the home games left this season
Doing the goal difference a power of good as well.
Yup and I think there might be more

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm

This is fantastic. MORE!

Remember the days when Ipswich won like this every week and it was: Wark 14th, Thijssen 23rd , Mariner 41st, 55th, Muhren 78th, Gates 89th

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:43 pm

JohnnyB wrote:

We could have done with one of these goals on Tuesday at Wimbledon.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 pm
This is fantastic. MORE!

Remember the days when Ipswich won like this every week and it was: Wark 14th, Thijssen 23rd , Mariner 41st, 55th, Muhren 78th, Gates 89th
Remember those days so well Marko, they were my season ticket days and an era I’ll never forget.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 pm

Tell you what......, Ipswich haven't scored for 24 minutes? Lambert the FK out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 pm

COME ON!!! 5? 6?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Save em for next week Marko

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Full time. Great result!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Superb. GREAT result and well done lads n Lambo. To go one down and bounce back is brilliant. Well done.

Lets all celebrate watching Liverpool put 4 past the Budgies.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Get in Town thats better shame all the other results didn’t help. Just 12 more wins required. 😂

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:00 pm

A very important win. It keeps us in the mix for a play off spot and the nature of the win is bound to boost confidence. Let's use this now to kick on and finish the season in style.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Really pleasing after a poor start in the game.

Jackson was superb and had a hand in all four goals. Judge was very good as well.

Forget about about the table - we have no divine right that other results go our way. The only divine right we have - is how we perform. And we got the job done, did it well and it looked as if the boys enjoyed themselves. :D

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Great result could and probably should have scored eight.🎉

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Yeesss! We needed that!

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Wish I was there
Great result Judge and Jackson on fire

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Great result, didnt see that coming, be nice for us to hit abit of form now in the final league stages, we could make those play offs after all.

Well done boys, PL you get squat from me :-)

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm
Great result, didnt see that coming, be nice for us to hit abit of form now in the final league stages, we could make those play offs after all.

Well done boys, PL you get squat from me :-)
PL changed to 442 at half time so he deserves some credit.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Pretty much bossed the whole game. Keane missed a sitter just before they scored. We missed two glorious chances with 1v1 judge hit the bar, Jackson went round the keeper and missed an open goal. Judge first not convincing scuffed the shot I think, I thought it had gone over the bar from where I was sitting but dropped in. Jackson took his first well. Tbf to burton they passed the ball well first half and had a clear game plan to attack Edwards down the right.

As mentioned PL moved to a 442 with earl at left back (good player him). And Garbutt up to left mid. Cracking cross from judge for Jackson’s second who did well to get across the defender to score a second. Jackson could have had 5 tbf, he missed another 1v1 before being put clear again only for the defender to make a challenge the ball broke to the incoming judge who shot squeezed under the keeper and just made it over the line.

Bishop made an instant impact when he came on for Keane after skuse replaced Nolan who played well but was on a booking. Bishops first touch was to jink past a player and tried a through ball ,, then a minute later had a shot well saved by the keepers finger tips. Sears came on for judge who also missed a 1v1 when really he could have squared to Jackson.

Overall a really good performance no one had a bad game, but could have been 7 at least and no one could have complained. Decent atmosphere, could have turned toxic after going one down but the crowd stuck with it and were well entertained. The players need the crowd for the remainder of the season come what may. Only 5 points off the top, let’s keep the faith and enjoy the ride.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:35 pm
PL changed to 442 at half time......
Shyte radio station. PL out!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm

Great performance today and 6 or 7 would not have been unfair on Burton, we bossed it for 80 mins. As Lambert said Jackson really was unplayable at times while I thought Chambers was excellent too along with Judge, Earl and Downes. So much more solid with a proper keeper between the sticks too. Much happier this evening.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:53 pm
Great performance today and 6 or 7 would not have been unfair on Burton, we bossed it for 80 mins. As Lambert said Jackson really was unplayable at times while I thought Chambers was excellent too along with Judge, Earl and Downes. So much more solid with a proper keeper between the sticks too. Much happier this evening.
Good result Mike, and a great crowd again considering it was Burton and recent results. onwards and upwards,

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm

177 away fans

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Excellent performance. Jackson was great, judge had his best game for a long time, Earl was excellent at the back, holy looked assured..... loved it. But why oh why can’t our players score 1v1 ? Lol

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm
177 away fans
not a good day for traveling tho Ando, I always look on Burton as major achievers in the football league, there set up is non league but keep popping up in the Championship, good manager as well.

lets hope you can have a great run in now till end of the season, your as good if not better than the clubs around you. I recon Portsmouth with Kenny Jacket will be the club up there,

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 pm
Ando wrote:
177 away fans
not a good day for traveling tho Ando, I always look on Burton as major achievers in the football league, there set up is non league but keep popping up in the Championship, good manager as well.

lets hope you can have a great run in now till end of the season, your as good if not better than the clubs around you. I recon Portsmouth with Kenny Jacket will be the club up there,
Not knocking them was trying to point out how many home fans were at the game today. I think they have the smallest following in L1.

It’s up for grabs, any of the top 8 can go on and secure a top 2 spot. I think Coventry will be one of the top 2 they just seem to be the most consistent at present. Still think Wycombe will miss out, tough run in.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:49 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:49 pm
Ando wrote:
177 away fans

Not knocking them was trying to point out how many home fans were at the game today. I think they have the smallest following in L1.

It’s up for grabs, any of the top 8 can go on and secure a top 2 spot. I think Coventry will be one of the top 2 they just seem to be the most consistent at present. Still think Wycombe will miss out, tough run in.
I know you wasn't knocking them but would probably have another 3 fans if the weather was better, :lol:

Yeah Coventry are looking good but my top 3 prediction is.
Sunderland
Ipswich Town
Portsmouth
so 2 auto and the other via the play offs,
the play off final is great as long as you win it, doesn't seem long ago we were beating Sheff U down in Cardiff under Dave Jones and Sir Jack.
So go up auto is my tip.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Ando wrote:
177 away fans

Burton are a small club with no real history, they were only formed in the early 50’s and were part timers until 10 years ago (2009) when they first joined the bottom tier of EFL. Burton on Trent is only a small town with a population of circa 70k, but it’s surrounded by Derby only 12 miles away, Nottingham and Leicester who’s football clubs will all have an historic local following especially Derby County. I think Burtons average home attendance is less than 3000 so I’ve no idea how they survive.

I’ve only been to Burtons ground twice, both times to watch Town the latest our opening game this season which we won 0-1. I’m sure anyone who’s been there will agree it’s a great little ground with a lovely atmosphere. But all said and done I’m more than happy to have taken 6 points off them and today’s win was so important if we’re going to be in the promotion mix come the end of the season.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:46 am

Not many were going to travel. Quite a trip from East Midlands of wherever they're at particularly in adverse weather conditions. You could fill an elevator with Burton fans, guessing they're not in high number. Viewed game highlights although it never tells the full story, first and foremost a win was much required.

Falling behind probably shocked the players into life and were made to fight for something. Never thought we would score four and remain outside the play-off zone but eight of the last twelve believe are on home ground. Issue is we often struggle to pick up victories with a home advantage. First win in five let's not forget and Burton Albion are no world-beaters but a shove in the right direction. Team showed character to rise from an early setback but bigger challenges will arise on the route ahead.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:59 am

Just seen the highlights on Sky, what the f*ck was Alan Judges first goal celebration all about, how weird !