Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up last weeks result?

Ipswich Win
50%
Oxford Win
22%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Yep was a no brainer after last week's performance

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:19 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:19 pm
Picture 2 caption: (STRICTLY HEADLINES)
Dyslexic dancer struggles to start YMCA dance on "live" TV.

(Do we need to apologise to the dyslexic people? I'm thinking no because they can't read it anyway? Am I digging a hole here?)

Mod pm'd: "Can i just say, my aunts roofing contractors neighbour who bakes cakes for the church priest who was Gary Glitters best pal was dyslexic, and Im Offended......., (three chin shaker) OHHH FFFENDED!"
I remember my older son saying as a joke "did you know dyslexia is an anagram of giraffe?" My other son had a dyslexic mate round at the time who said "No it isn't. I'm dyslexic " thinking that made him a world authority on the matter.
Everyone knows that actually dyslexia is an anagram of daily sex.
Thankfully I do not suffer from dyslexia....... and unfortunately the wife doesn’t dish out the anagram either! :cry: At least if she does, I’m certainly not there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:25 pm

Hope everyone is more confident about defeating Oxford United as I am of Hibs defeating Livingston today.
Bad start...... forgot to put the long johns on under the jeans and I predict numb thighs by the 15th minute. Hibs better bag a couple before HT so some standing up and sitting down can be done.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Holy sh*t, just home and tuned in, 0-1, that is not what I was hoping for !

Wycombe scored pretty much the same time, not good news.

As it stands we drop to 8th just one point above Oxford.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:49 pm

How the f*ck did that happen we were on top. :shock:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:53 pm

That’s a blow... playing some decent stuff and then get punished.

We’ve put plenty of decent balls into their box, but haven’t had that bit of luck in the box where the ball bounces kindly.

We need a big half now. Keep playing well and get an early second half goal.

Can’t see we need subs yet. Maybe Bishop on with 30 mins to go if we haven’t got the breakthrough.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:46 pm

Two shots on target. That can't be right surely?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:49 pm
Not being clinical.

But we didn't need to strengthen last January did we? Just like 2015.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Consistency Town just don't have it. And as always all the other results go against us. Oh dear nearly 20000 there again. Our home form will be key they say. 😠

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Gutted. :cry:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:55 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:53 pm
Consistency Town just don't have it. And as always all the other results go against us. Oh dear nearly 20000 there again. Our home form will be key they say. 😠
Another top half team and yet again a bad result.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Yet again, when we face a team in the upper half of the table we just can't seem to get anything from the game.

Automatic promotion is now almost definitely out of our reach while playoffs are looking increasingly unlikely. Even if we do make the playoffs I can't see us coming through.

Who would be a football fan? Another weekend where the cat better hide.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Jackson straight red that's 3 games ban. Norwood having op. f*ck me it will be Sears and Keane next week at Blackpool. We are doomed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 pm

That second half was p*ss poor, deserved nothing, a bloody centre forward who NEVER wins a single header EVERY game, Keane is a waste of space. So many chances in the first half mainly from Jacksons delivery from the right and nobody busting a gut to get on one of them. We deserved what we got in the end. League One next season 100%.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:04 pm

5 MORE YEARS !!!!

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:10 pm

This is beyond ridiculous. Top of the league less than month ago now top 6 teams are running away from us.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:16 pm

Feel really flat after that.

I can deal with going 1-0 down after a decent first half performance, but we really offered nothing for the last 30-35 mins. At home as well. Oxford closed that game out so easily.

No problem with Bishop coming on, but I’m not sure Edwards coming off and reverting to a 4-4-2 worked. Would have thought Bishop for Judge would have been better.Like for like. No physicality up front as well. We surely should have started the season and brought in a big lump who could at least come off the bench and bully defenders.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Ah well thank god we have Lambert to rebuild this team for a promotion push next season😭😭

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 pm
That second half was p*ss poor, deserved nothing, a bloody centre forward who NEVER wins a single header EVERY game, Keane is a waste of space. So many chances in the first half mainly from Jacksons delivery from the right and nobody busting a gut to get on one of them. We deserved what we got in the end. League One next season 100%.
Wow if your being negative then we are definitely f*cked
:shock:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Not being clinical.

That's the way MPB . Your usual whingeing. Put another record on you are becoming very tiresome.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm

I think we may have to accept that with current investment we’ve found our level. If it wasn’t for the first third of the season when we were picking up points for fun we’d be really struggling, and given our current form is very much on a par with teams in the bottom half of the table it doesn’t bode well for the coming weeks.

I think March and April could be quite painful.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:45 pm

Massively disappointing result and now no Jackson for three games against Blackpool, Fleetwood and Coventry. It does not look good

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:46 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:49 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Not being clinical.

That's the way MPB . Your usual whingeing. Put another record on you are becoming very tiresome.
Very tiresome. What did I say was wrong? Just don't read my posts if you don't like them.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm

I haven't commented on the last few games. And when I do I usually wait til the next day. But I'll make a few comments.

First half we were well on top. So many reasonable chances but not taken. And at that point you knew what would happen. In fairness it was a bloody good goal. But half we dominated but didn't take our chances.

Second half less good but that was inevitable. Oxford were winning and could sit back and defend. So I'm disappointed at the result but enjoyed the first 45 minutes. Make that 44 minutes.

A couple of players I was disappointed with today. Earl made some dangerous errors early on and Garbutt wasn't great.

I see comments about how we should have strengthened in January. I don't see how we could with the enormous squad we have. Ive said several times before that you get stuck with players if no one else wants them. You can't keep adding to an already large squad.

We have at least 4 strikers on the books so why would we are to it? Norwood wad always a gamble stepping up a division. We've missed his presence but hasn't been the same since his (first) operation. Jackson has pace and has started using it quite effectively but isn't clinical in front of goal. Keane might have a decent touch bug has never been and will never be a prolific scorer. And Sears could possibly be ok at this level when fit. But currently we are down to just the latter 2 for the next 3 matches.

Personally I'd have brought on Bishop earlier and maybe Dozzell too. A bit of creativity might have helped in s second half against a team content on containing us.

My fear is we will need to trim the squad in the summer. Those who leave will be the better players who someone else will buy.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:53 pm
I haven't commented on the last few games. And when I do I usually wait til the next day. But I'll make a few comments.

First half we were well on top. So many reasonable chances but not taken. And at that point you knew what would happen. In fairness it was a bloody good goal. But half we dominated but didn't take our chances.

Second half less good but that was inevitable. Oxford were winning and could sit back and defend. So I'm disappointed at the result but enjoyed the first 45 minutes. Make that 44 minutes.

A couple of players I was disappointed with today. Earl made some dangerous errors early on and Garbutt wasn't great.

I see comments about how we should have strengthened in January. I don't see how we could with the enormous squad we have. Ive said several times before that you get stuck with players if no one else wants them. You can't keep adding to an already large squad.

We have at least 4 strikers on the books so why would we are to it? Norwood wad always a gamble stepping up a division. We've missed his presence but hasn't been the same since his (first) operation. Jackson has pace and has started using it quite effectively but isn't clinical in front of goal. Keane might have a decent touch bug has never been and will never be a prolific scorer. And Sears could possibly be ok at this level when fit. But currently we are down to just the latter 2 for the next 3 matches.

Personally I'd have brought on Bishop earlier and maybe Dozzell too. A bit of creativity might have helped in s second half against a team content on containing us.

My fear is we will need to trim the squad in the summer. Those who leave will be the better players who someone else will buy.
He hasn't been the same since his wrestling 'fight'.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 pm

I too feel the need to post after that. Completely agree with Andy re first 44 mins. Second half was once again woeful. We have no creativity and are absolutely toothless in attack. I lost count if the number of time we play lovely triangles just inside our half and then aimlessly hoof it forward to no-one. I said to my daughter 'are we really just a hoof it forward with no thought team?' Answer I am afraid is very much, yes...

Red card looked harsh but would need to see it again. Fact is, we are no longer a threat and that is a worry. If Judge goes, I will dance in the streets - he is sh*t at this or any other level. I wish he wasn't but he is. Downes is great but defensive, Nolan is Ok but defensive, Jackson is OK but has no strong striker in the box and our defence (Holy apart), is always an accident waiting to happen. When we do not go up this season (cos I hate to say it but I just cannot see how we will), we will lose players but to be honest, even those who are supposedly good are not in fact all that in my view. I just think it is all really sad. Even Lambo seems deflated - our once great club is now a mid table Div3 team - thats depressing. I hope I snap out of this but from early season (7 points clear and 2 games in hand) euphoria to mid table mediocrity in this league is an awful feeling. Just how far we have fallen and I fear for the future (although other trams seem to find players who can compete at this level - oxfor,wycombe, cov, rotherham
Etc so why do our so called best squad in the league fail to live up to it?

I will keep the faith always but the answer there was in the first half - 7 chances and we could not bury one - we should have been 3 up before they scored but we lose 0-1... ho hum - onto next week I guess...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:34 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm
Yet again, when we face a team in the upper half of the table we just can't seem to get anything from the game.

Automatic promotion is now almost definitely out of our reach while playoffs are looking increasingly unlikely. Even if we do make the playoffs I can't see us coming through.

Our performances against “Top half of the table teams” highlights how poor we really are. In our 7 home games against these top half teams they’ve walked away with 17 of the 21 available points with us picking up just 4 points from draws with Wycombe Wanderers, Sunderland, Gillingham and Doncaster Rovers. Incredibly not a single win.

In 8 away games against Top half of the table teams we’ve fared marginally better with wins at Fleetwood and Gillingham, but the remaining 6 games have been shared equally between draws and defeats.

In total we’ve taken just 13 points from the 45 points up for grabs in these games.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:34 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Our performances against “Top half of the table teams” highlights how poor we really are. In our 7 home games against these top half teams they’ve walked away with 17 of the 21 available points with us picking up just 4 points from draws with Wycombe Wanderers, Sunderland, Gillingham and Doncaster Rovers. Incredibly not a single win.

In 8 away games against Top half of the table teams we’ve fared marginally better with wins at Fleetwood and Gillingham, but the remaining 6 games have been shared equally between draws and defeats.

In total we’ve taken just 13 points from the 45 points up for grabs in these games.
It’s a sobering result today but, in the context in which you put it, sadly no surprise. We hoped we might build on the Burton game and seize the moment but now with Jackson and Norwood missing too, it looks unlikely.

I don’t know if it’s the manager or the players but there seems to be a fundamental lack of determination somewhere - we’re just not tough enough or awkward enough to grind out results. When things are going well there’s some skill and flair, but when things go wrong, no belief, mental toughness and refusal to accept defeat. Somehow that will need to change if we’re going to force our way out of this division.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:05 pm

Caption Comp Picture1 : The teacher knows how to handle a c*ck and Bull story.
Caption Comp Picture 2 : Simon said sh*t so I did.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:05 pm
Caption Comp Picture1 : The teacher knows how to handle a c0ck and Bull story.
Caption Comp Picture 2 : Simon said sh!t so I did.