Incredible match atmosphere.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Incredible match atmosphere.

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Just back from Madrid after watching the match. I have never in my life experienced such an atmosphere in a football ground, it was so intense and hostile and lasted the full 90+ minutes. Talk about fans being the 12th man.

If only we could create an atmosphere like this at Portman Road.

The clip below is the reception the players arrived at the stadium on the team bus, incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKo1aIdNXpM

No demonstrations here despite only winning one of their previous seven games !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Incredible match atmosphere.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:26 pm

That is superb and shows the job of real fans to support their club "if we're down or if we're up" as the song goes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm

Somehow I just can’t see this being Portman Road, Charnwood.

News at Ten theme tune:
The news......., with Hugh Edwards...
“Main headlines tonight...... disturbing and hostile scenes tonight from Ipswich as the Fleetwood bus entered Portman Road. Many fans have been treated at Ipswich A&E after being struck, point blank, by toffee apples.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:30 pm

:lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:54 pm

Wonder what it'll be like at Anfield though for the 2nd Leg, if those fans are so happy

Bit different to our old European nights when applauding the opposition

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:17 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:54 pm
Wonder what it'll be like at Anfield though for the 2nd Leg, if those fans are so happy

Bit different to our old European nights when applauding the opposition

I used to love our European nights S & J and as best I recall our atmosphere at Portman Road was pretty good, the only difference was it wasn’t as intense, it wasn’t constant and it didn’t reverberate around every corner of the ground.

As for the home leg at Anfield I’m sure it will be very different, hopefully their fans won’t be as happy but likewise there won’t be many of them given Liverpool only had circa 3,800 in a stadium of 67,500 or thereabouts.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:17 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:27 pm
Somehow I just can’t see this being Portman Road, Charnwood.

News at Ten theme tune:
The news......., with Hugh Edwards...
“Main headlines tonight...... disturbing and hostile scenes tonight from Ipswich as the Fleetwood bus entered Portman Road. Many fans have been treated at Ipswich A&E after being struck, point blank, by toffee apples.”

I love your descriptive comments Marko and they build a great scenario but seriously, whilst we’ll never see the flares at Portman Road we could create far more noise and be far more intimidating than we are especially when 20,000 are in the stadium.

Tuesday nights atmosphere at The Wanda was ferocious for 90 continuous minutes in every corner of the stadium involving almost 60,000 fans orchestrated by their Manager Diego Simeone who spent as much time winding up the fans as he did his team knowing the positive impact it was having on his players on the pitch. https://talksport.com/football/671359/d ... liverpool/

I’ve always held the opinion that fans can both positively and negatively impact players performance and Tuesday night I saw it at the extreme positive end. We had pitch side seats immediately behind Klopp and experienced it exactly the same as it was for him and the players and the referee whose performance was also affected, in his case negatively.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 am

As intense as it sounds, I do sometimes wonder if I could cope with that type of atmosphere every week.

Very early 90s, Alan Sneddon testimonial, Hibs v Aston Villa at Easter Road. (Summer time) Great game, Kenny Dalglish played a half for Hibs and the cabbage won 4-2, (4 by Keith Wright)
But season tickets couldn’t get us in so it was regular tickets....., ended up near the drumming singing section and for whatever reason, a lot of fans in the area were wearing sombreros and dancing around....,,, for 90 feckin minutes!! I was tearing my hair out. Just wanted to watch the football.

Recently watched a Hoffenheim game on BTSports..... massive flags, relentless simultaneous bouncing and singing from behind a goal at one end. That’d do my effin head in. :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:28 am

Attended Feyenoord / Ajax games back in the 1990's that made the above resemble an Enid Blyton lemonade party. You won't create similar atmosphere at Portman Road (as suggested) for reasons that hardly require elaboration.

Don't care much for the other Madrid outfits although if they can eliminate those fuckers over the two games it would make for a notable exception. Anfield on European nights is something special. Not pleasant to say and wish them every misfortune but credit where it's due they have the means there to overturn any deficit and emerge victorious. Can never forgive them for the European ban in 1985 that took considerable cost on others.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am

marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:12 am
As intense as it sounds, I do sometimes wonder if I could cope with that type of atmosphere every week.

Very early 90s, Alan Sneddon testimonial, Hibs v Aston Villa at Easter Road. (Summer time) Great game, Kenny Dalglish played a half for Hibs and the cabbage won 4-2, (4 by Keith Wright)
But season tickets couldn’t get us in so it was regular tickets....., ended up near the drumming singing section and for whatever reason, a lot of fans in the area were wearing sombreros and dancing around....,,, for 90 feckin minutes!! I was tearing my hair out. Just wanted to watch the football.

Recently watched a Hoffenheim game on BTSports..... massive flags, relentless simultaneous bouncing and singing from behind a goal at one end. That’d do my effin head in. :lol:

We said exactly that at the game Marko, that we couldn’t cope with that atmosphere for 90 minutes every game or even as a player given how distracting it was. That relentless simultaneous bouncing was going on all around the stadium, can you imagine that happening at Portman Road, it never would have in my day, it was hard enough even to get them to sing in the old Churchmans Stand.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am
marko69 wrote:

We said exactly that at the game Marko, that we couldn’t cope with that atmosphere for 90 minutes every game or even as a player given how distracting it was. That relentless simultaneous bouncing was going on all around the stadium, can you imagine that happening at Portman Road, it never would have in my day, it was hard enough even to get them to sing in the old Churchmans Stand.
Still is hard for the fans to sing in what is now the Sir Alf Ramsey end, what was known as the Churchmans, South Stand, Green King stand. Have i missed another past name for it? Though i'm upper tier because i prefer the view of all the pitch than the lower view below.

I think back to the days of standing in the old North Stand when younger and so much as changed but the atmosphere by large this season is best it has been for a very long time

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:39 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:20 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:56 am
marko69 wrote:

Still is hard for the fans to sing in what is now the Sir Alf Ramsey end, what was known as the Churchmans, South Stand, Green King stand. Have i missed another past name for it? Though i'm upper tier because i prefer the view of all the pitch than the lower view below.

I think back to the days of standing in the old North Stand when younger and so much as changed but the atmosphere by large this season is best it has been for a very long time

I will always remember from the North Stand trying to get the Churchmans end to sing.......

“listen to the North Stand Sing ..whoooo whoooo
Can you hear the Churchmans Sing.
I can’t hear an f’n thing.. whoooo whooooo etc

Although before the North Stand became popular there were the pre match renditions of “Keep Right On To The End Of The Road” that the Churchmans Stand led when the players came out onto the pitch. That’s just about my earliest memory of home games in the late 50’s early 60’s....