WARNOCK WAITING IN THE WINGS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Quasar

Re: WARNOCK WAITING IN THE WINGS

Post by Quasar » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:41 pm

the only thing that made me smile in the OP was the word Twonk.... i say this often and not many people do.

:)

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:18 pm
Lambert signed a new five-year deal on New Year's Day, but it's understood there are performance-related break clauses in that contract and a general cap on the pay-off required to part company with both the Blues boss and his staff should owner Marcus Evans decide a change is needed in the hot-seat.
I saw on that other site this morning that if Town don't finish in the top 6 ME could sack PL and would only have to pay a reduced settlement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Seems to back up that article then

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Maybe Paul Lambert wants out, that would explain a lot.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Yes it would, you never know in Football

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:32 pm

Maybe Paul Lambert wants out, that would explain a lot.
I think Lambert wants out as well, but its nothing to do with the fans or hostile Portman Road scenes last night......, it'll be Mevans and his non January activity. Behind all his "press" words there will be a "fk this sh*t" mentality in there.

Still doesn't excuse strikers consistently missing three and four yard chances for the past six weeks. Useless bastards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:15 am

Lamberts probably got them on “miss incentives” to help him exit with a pay off. There’s no way at his age he’s going to hang around at a club run on a shoe string budget.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:26 am

I just pray we don’t become the second club to drop from the Premier League to League Two an achievement currently held only by Bradford City who were relegated from the PL at the end of 2000/01.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:39 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:26 am
I just pray we don’t become the second club to drop from the Premier League to League Two an achievement currently held only by Bradford City who were relegated from the PL at the end of 2000/01.
Didn’t Coventry, Portsmouth and Blackpool go that route also? Soon to be followed by Bolton.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:19 am

“Miss incentives” :lol: Very good, Charnwood.

“Come on guys, I need that phone call from Marcus so that he honours that early exit clause. So, more of the same, Judge. Round the keeper and then try and hit the Disco Hat in row R. 👏👏👏, get to it guys!”

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:22 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:39 am
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:26 am
Didn’t Coventry, Portsmouth and Blackpool go that route also? Soon to be followed by Bolton.
And ITFC at the end of next season unless something drastic happens.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:55 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:28 am
I think we were all deluded in thinking that the relegation last year was the low point... I think that maybe we are still in the falling phase and we haven't hit rock bottom yet. Its scary, but I am hoping that this season finishing outside the top 6 will be our low point and its upward from there on. If that's not the case, god knows where we will fall to!

I can see Warnock giving us a boost for a few games, but that might only mask the real failings at the club. We need a clear out and some proper investment of money we get for Downes, Woolfie and anyone else we can sell for a profit. Its going to be yet another tough, but interesting summer.
Not all of were deluded about relegation last season being the low point. Myself, Mach, and AndyM have all consistently said since before the start of this season that we would not get anywhere near promotion (hell, I even had a bet with another board member that we would finish no higher than mid-table).

I agree with you that we are still in the falling stage, and I have to say that it's nothing less than I expected.
Why? Simply because - as I have said before - that we have far too big a squad and the squad is full of only average at best players. We would have done better this season to clear out 9 or 10 of the players that failed us last season and replaced them with 3 or 4 of better quality - instead we continue to field the dross that let us down last season and still have the mentality of losers.

Will we stop falling soon? I think that depends on the action taken during the close season - keep depending on the losers brigade (Chambers, Skuse, Judge, Huws, Edwards, Jackson, Sears et al) and God knows how far we might yet fall.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:39 pm

Yep and to add to that, a good buddy of mine said pre-season Hurst, "You buy League One, You GO to league One". I posted that on here after three or four games in whilst thinking, "maybe he's right."

Even though Lambert is sliding, I do believe that the cuts caused by Paul Hurst were (and still are) very deep ones.

Mevans again though. Stuck record.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:07 pm

I certainly don't regret being deluded and thinking things would be better. If we don't have hope as a football fan , the whats the point. Football is all about hope.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:40 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:07 pm
I certainly don't regret being deluded and thinking things would be better. If we don't have hope as a football fan , the whats the point. Football is all about hope.
For most. Its all about expectation if an oil guy owns you......, or if you're a Celtic fan.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:43 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:40 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
For most. Its all about expectation if an oil guy owns you......, or if you're a Celtic fan.
Ahhh expectation is what my love life is all about... I am generally let down

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:47 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:43 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:40 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Ahhh expectation is what my love life is all about... I am generally let down
Hey......, take that to the "I cannot remember my last ......." thread! :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 pm

:roll: I suppose things could be worse, You could be a F*****g Jags fan as well. Going down to even lower levels of Div 1 for next season :evil: :evil: :cry:

Anyway as most of us have stated Mid Table aint so bad I said around 10th as I could see certain pitfalls within our Defence, If we are to make a real go of it next season we must have a clear out, Chambers and Scuse are too old and slow, we have to reinforce our defence with a quality defender to work along side Woolfenden, KVY, plus two or three others TBC.
Our current Midfield, we do have in my estimation one of the best mix of players in this league, it just needs sorting out with the right blend of mix, with Downes the linchpin to build around if he's not sold on, as for our strikers :roll I'm sorry they are just not good enough to build a promotion performing team, Keane is bloody awful, Jackson full of energy, but easily out beaten by stronger defences, the same with Norwood Div 1 he has been found wanting, 28 goals in Div 2 with Tranmere, how many this season ???.
We do have some real talent coming through from the Under 23's, I like young Lankester and El Mizunie, and I know Dozzell can really shine within a better organised team selection, BUT Lambert as manager isn't the answer, he couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery, so someone like Neil Warnock I'm sure could knock together a half decent team from what we already have.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:20 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:27 pm
:roll: I suppose things could be worse, You could be a F*****g Jags fan as well. Going down to even lower levels of Div 1 for next season :evil: :evil: :cry:

Anyway as most of us have stated Mid Table aint so bad I said around 10th as I could see certain pitfalls within our Defence, If we are to make a real go of it next season we must have a clear out, Chambers and Scuse are too old and slow, we have to reinforce our defence with a quality defender to work along side Woolfenden, KVY, plus two or three others TBC.
Our current Midfield, we do have in my estimation one of the best mix of players in this league, it just needs sorting out with the right blend of mix, with Downes the linchpin to build around if he's not sold on, as for our strikers :roll I'm sorry they are just not good enough to build a promotion performing team, Keane is bloody awful, Jackson full of energy, but easily out beaten by stronger defences, the same with Norwood Div 1 he has been found wanting, 28 goals in Div 2 with Tranmere, how many this season ???.
We do have some real talent coming through from the Under 23's, I like young Lankester and El Mizunie, and I know Dozzell can really shine within a better organised team selection, BUT Lambert as manager isn't the answer, he couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery, so someone like Neil Warnock I'm sure could knock together a half decent team from what we already have.
I agree with what you say about Chambers & Skuse & would add a few others, but I think you may be wrong in assuming Woolfenden, Downes & Dozzell will still be with us next season. Also, don't forget that Norwood has been injured a lot this season.

Lambert is clearly not the right man for the job, but neither is Warnock. He is too old, supposedly retired and would only be a short term fix which is not what we need. Who should we get? I don't have a clue.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:38 am

As much as I’d like to see Neil Warnock have a spell at Town I think we all know he's not the long term solution, but given the average period of tenure for a manager in the EFL is less than 1.4 years is this really a problem.

I’m not sure who Neil Warnock usually has as his assistant or whether his brief could include him bringing on his successor ?

I think doing nothing isn’t really the answer either because Paul Lambert can’t work with the existing squad and the quality of his squad isn’t likely to be any better next season.

We definitely need a manager who can get more out of less and that’s a special skill that Paul Lambert has proved he doesn’t have.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Well how about Ian Culverhouse coming back here from Kings Lynn, whilst he was here with Lambert we was on a winning run, he left and Lambert has been useless ever since, He's got the Linnets in the auto's position in the National League North, so how about Him coming here, he could be very successful, he's got the knowhow he's younger than Lambert, what do you all think :roll: :roll:

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:42 pm

Found this

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/3-alt ... -big-call/

3 alternatives to Warnock

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 pm

3 interesting names there, which I think would be better than a short term bandaid solution such as Warnock.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:43 am

:shock: Nah I'll stick with my selections, either Warnock or Culverhouse, who ever comes in would need a substantial backing from our owner

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:51 am

Frosty wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:13 pm
3 interesting names there, which I think would be better than a short term bandaid solution such as Warnock.
I like the list, but there is one problem with Nathan Jones..... he’s been gone too long.

I thank you... I will get my coat

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:51 am
Frosty wrote:
I like the list, but there is one problem with Nathan Jones..... he’s been gone too long.

Brilliant. My kind of humour.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Frosty wrote:

I confess I had to Google it. How embarrassing.....Can't say I know the song 😲

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:12 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 pm
nicscreamer wrote:

I confess I had to Google it. How embarrassing.....Can't say I know the song 😲
Was it Banarama ... and then The Supremes before? He hasn’t been gone that long, but was fired not long ago. He did a great job at Luton playing good football (on a budget) .... but would he be seen as another Paul Hurst type? Karl Robinson has been around this league for a while and his teams plays good football... but why would he switch from Oxford to us?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:51 pm

I think the majority are probably past caring now. So with that in mind..... go for the “see what happens” strategy.

Get Warnock in now ———> see what happens.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:14 pm

Warnock in as long as he commits to the full season next year with Dyer (or someone young) shadowing him to take it on when he retires. Nothing to lose now - no time to take prisoners - its war!